Disney in Negotiations to Sign the NFL Sunday Ticket for ESPN+

Ken Schroy

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Not Mr. Technology here. I have Fios . How do I get ESPN+? Is it steaming only? 

Yes, it's a streaming service, not a channel offered through Cable or Satellite.  If your TV can get on the internet (ex. WiFi) or if you have anything like a Apple TV or Roku box you should be able to get the ESPN+ app running.  You can also watch it through a computer at ESPN.com once you sign up.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, Larz said:

I think I have ESPN + from the Disney + bundle.  Never even opened the app before lol

ESPN+ is an additional cost -- at least for me through Xfinity.  I had Disney+ but still needed to pay an additional fee to get ESPN+ for the NHL package this season. 

Everything is extra these days.

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

ESPN+ is an additional cost -- at least for me through Xfinity.  I had Disney+ but still needed to pay an additional fee to get ESPN+ for the NHL package this season. 

Everything is extra these days.

You had what I had. You bought Disney+ before the package deal that had the others thrown in. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

What every fan wants: A package where you pay for your team and your team only.

What we will get: The entire package no questions asked for $450 a season.

Pass

You def won’t get a “team package” but I think your wrong on the pricing. Disney+ has around 80 million subscribers. Amazon has around 150 million subscribers. I can’t find exact numbers on direct tv but I think it’s only a couple million at this point. Direct tv is about dead. Anyways, when Disney or Amazon get the package, they won’t need the $450 per season to be profitable. They may make it a relatively inexpensive add on to their current service. Amazon for example, They can make more money charging their 150 million users say an extra $10-15 a month during the season than direct tv could get charging $450 to their subscribers. They could also just charge a $100 flat fee and bring in way more money. Point being, one of these massive companies getting it will likely result in a less expensive product since they’ll be able to reach just about every single person in the market. Direct tv couldn’t do that so the pricing was insanely high.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I’m in the NYC metro area so I get Jets games. But if we ever move it would be something I’d think about getting if affordable. Right now it’s inexpensive and offers extras esp games not on network. But you assume the price would go way up. A few years back I could have gotten ESPN+ very cheap it was a special maybe when they first started it but at that time I thought my cable package gave me plenty of games. Many people are dropping cable for streaming packages. And we’re seeing on the news side too providers putting big investments into services like CNN+, Peacock etc. 

2 - 2.5 Billion, per year?  If 70 million people pay 25 bucks a year that’s 2 billion. …   Unless my math stinks.  

Disney plus should raise the rate by 5 bucks or 0.  We have it and I’m ready to cut it off.  There isn’t enough new stuff as is.   One month a year would be sufficient for Disney plus as is.  This would give lots of people a reason to keep it.  

10 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Pass

Plenty of people pay for Sunday Ticket so they're not just stuck watching their team.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

2 - 2.5 Billion, per year?  If 70 million people pay 25 bucks a year that’s 2 billion. …   Unless my math stinks.  

Disney plus should raise the rate by 5 bucks or 0.  We have it and I’m ready to cut it off.  There isn’t enough new stuff as is.   One month a year would be sufficient for Disney plus as is.  This would give lots of people a reason to keep it.  

Book of Mandolorian was a bit disappointing 

• Upvote 2

So we still have NFL games shown via Direct TV… for one more season?….the 22 season?    Direct TV has been unavailable in my community in So Jersey.  Ive gone to a local bar..or watched via a shady, frequently buffering stream ..for years and years.

‘’sounds like there will be 1 more year of the NFL via Direct TV?

• 2 weeks later...

Future of Sunday Ticket remains very fluid

Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2022, 9:48 AM EST

The NFL’s deal with DirecTV to broadcast the Sunday Ticket package expires after the 2022 season. At this point, the only semi-certainty is that the long-time relationship with DirecTV will end. Where the product goes continues to be an open question. It started as a satellite service. It will become, as of 2023, a full-blown streaming service. Which means that one of the obvious streaming companies with the infrastructure to do it right will end up getting the contract. Recent reports have suggested that the winning bidder could pay as much as $7.5 billion per year, three times the current DirecTV rate. We’ve been unable to nail down that number. It’s quite possible that, in the end, the league will have to choose between maximizing revenue and maximizing audience reach. It’s also unclear whether the package will continue to consist of one option — buy it all, or buy none of it. There has been talk of a more flexible approach, with consumers able to buy packages tailored to a specific team or a specific weekend. However it’s structured, it will be a streaming service, first and foremost. Although it seemed possible that the NFL would retain DirecTV as the satellite provider and sell the streaming rights to a tech company, it now appears (per a source with knowledge of the dynamics) that the league will sell the whole package to a tech company, which then may break off satellite rights to be sold only to consumers (typically, very rural) who lack access to the kind of Internet service needed for reliable streaming. That could be DirecTV, it could be Dish Network, it could be both, and it could be neither.

Regardless, Sunday Ticket will, as of 2023, fully enter the new reality of streaming-based TV consumption. And the NFL will make more and more money in the process. Which is good, because the owners and the players share the revenue. So even if it allows the oligarchs to buy bigger superyachts, it also means more players will get more money for the risks they take and the sacrifices they make.

• Upvote 2

Whatever streaming service gets it, they better invent a "return" or "previous" button or an easy way to switch between games.

It's easy to switch back and forth between two games with Direct TV, or just know the channel numbers and go directly to them if your watching more than two.

It would be a pain in the ass to switch back and forth between games on a streaming service.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Future of Sunday Ticket remains very fluid

Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2022, 9:48 AM EST

The NFL’s deal with DirecTV to broadcast the Sunday Ticket package expires after the 2022 season. At this point, the only semi-certainty is that the long-time relationship with DirecTV will end. Where the product goes continues to be an open question. It started as a satellite service. It will become, as of 2023, a full-blown streaming service. Which means that one of the obvious streaming companies with the infrastructure to do it right will end up getting the contract. Recent reports have suggested that the winning bidder could pay as much as $7.5 billion per year, three times the current DirecTV rate. We’ve been unable to nail down that number. It’s quite possible that, in the end, the league will have to choose between maximizing revenue and maximizing audience reach. It’s also unclear whether the package will continue to consist of one option — buy it all, or buy none of it. There has been talk of a more flexible approach, with consumers able to buy packages tailored to a specific team or a specific weekend. However it’s structured, it will be a streaming service, first and foremost. Although it seemed possible that the NFL would retain DirecTV as the satellite provider and sell the streaming rights to a tech company, it now appears (per a source with knowledge of the dynamics) that the league will sell the whole package to a tech company, which then may break off satellite rights to be sold only to consumers (typically, very rural) who lack access to the kind of Internet service needed for reliable streaming. That could be DirecTV, it could be Dish Network, it could be both, and it could be neither.

Regardless, Sunday Ticket will, as of 2023, fully enter the new reality of streaming-based TV consumption. And the NFL will make more and more money in the process. Which is good, because the owners and the players share the revenue. So even if it allows the oligarchs to buy bigger superyachts, it also means more players will get more money for the risks they take and the sacrifices they make.

Thanks for this. Personally, it would be very helpful if they retained DirecTV as a satellite provider.

I have a second home in the mountains, which I have no internet. I double my DirectTV (not supposed to) package up there and use that as my primary television source for 5 sets in that house. 

There is so much rural America that can not efficiently stream, that they would be leaving out a lot of consumers that cannot access the package.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Whatever streaming service gets it, they better invent a "return" or "previous" button or an easy way to switch between games.

It's easy to switch back and forth between two games with Direct TV, or just know the channel numbers and go directly to them if your watching more than two.

It would be a pain in the ass to switch back and forth between games on a streaming service.

Exactly this. Bouncing between games, even between plays is at least doable in the satellite configuration (although it gets a little wonky because they have that stupid screen that pops in the corner to remind you that you can bounce to the app, and that takes processing time.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Exactly this. Bouncing between games, even between plays is at least doable in the satellite configuration (although it gets a little wonky because they have that stupid screen that pops in the corner to remind you that you can bounce to the app, and that takes processing time.

"back" buffering, "menu" buffering, scroll scroll scroll, enter the game you want, more buffering....

I've had Direct TV since 1997...and it certainly isn't perfect....and I've had my fair share of issues with them....but come gameday it's all worth it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Pass

I spend more than that per year in crappy sports bars watching the Jets here in New England. I will gladly pay it and hope that my wife doesn’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Was ar the UPS store a while ago and saw at least 3 people come in with their DirecTV equipment.  The girl at the counter said that they get MANY each week.  DTV is way late to the streaming game.  It will be interesting if AT&T can salvage it and become a competitor in the streaming entertainment world.  Right now, they are headed to irrelevancy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Was ar the UPS store a while ago and saw at least 3 people come in with their DirecTV equipment.  The girl at the counter said that they get MANY each week.  DTV is way late to the streaming game.  It will be interesting if AT&T can salvage it and become a competitor in the streaming entertainment world.  Right now, they are headed to irrelevancy.

Sunday ticket is the ONLY reason Ive kept Directv for 20 years. They lose it, Im out. Im sure there are a whole lot like me.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Do they have a plan to fix the lag that comes with streaming live sports? Until then, the archaic dish will win out.

I don't think there's any circumstance in which the dish will win out.  This thing is going streaming one way or the other.

But your point is a really good one about delays, even if only because with the advent of online sports gambling that is becoming so nuanced you can bet on a single play, they can't have anything more than like a 2 second lag I'd imagine.

• Upvote 1

I tried the NFL stream that they made free the last couple of games.   It was awesome.  iPhone to TV still had really good HD and in the game thread I think I was actually ahead of the broadcast - which usually isn’t the case with streaming.  

I’m still not paying 350-450 for it.  We paid that kind of money to go to the Jet’s Texsan’s game but something about paying that for TV seems outlandish to me.  

I'll be giving up DirecTV after about 20 years myself.  The question is what to get next for streaming live TV.  I've heard people advocate everything from Youtube TV to Hulu Live, Fubo, Sling TV, etc.  I even have a friend who doesn't really need too many channels so he simply has an OTA (over the air) antenna for his local channels (ABC, NBC, etc.) and then a few apps like ESPN+ for sports, Netflix and HBO Max for movies, etc.  He said he pays about $400-500 per YEAR total.

I think I need a little more than that, certainly with the wife.  A few channels like TBS, TNT, etc. would be nice... as would the DVR ability.

What do you guys use and like?