Mike White "I should have been a first overall pick".

Warfish

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other than regret over the waste of a 2nd overall pick, does any Jets fan honestly care how/where we find a 26-27 yr old FQB? 

If White proves worthy of being the Jets' starter for the next decade, and the Wilson pick is wasted, so be it. I'm satisfied with any under-contract Jets QB proving himself to be a worthy FQB. Once it was clear Darnold wasn't that guy, I'm not nearly spoiled enough to complain about the inefficient path to get there. 

If it's White and not Wilson? Hey, however it happens.

We should be so lucky that White continues to impress. 

Someone gets it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Not at all. Would love for White to be the real deal. But the expectation s that he is is insane to me.  

Pats game: NE game: 62% comp. - 202 yards - 1 TD, 2 INT - 64.8 Rating

It’s just I watch enough NFL to not expect a 4 the year practice squad QB to become a real FQB based on one very good check down performance.   

Honestly. Take emotion out of it and look at it from a real active perspective. 

Okay, now you do the same. “Apply some perspective”… White came into that game cold, off the bench. He wasn’t the one getting reps with the first team all season.

Zach goes down, and he came in against a Belichek defense that eats young QBs for breakfast and performed pretty well.

Fast forward to the next week, he’s the one practicing with the first team. TheOC can now go up in the booth like he wants, and is able to open up the play book. White is off the charts…. Winning ensues!

Next week looks like more of the same, as White leads the team on a great scoring drive, throwing darts. He gets hurt, but Josh Johnson… yes, Josh Johnson steps in and plays very well also.

Now I’m going to ask YOU “to take emotion out of it”. Seeing all that, what makes you think Wilson is the right guy for this team, other than he was the #2 pick in the draft?

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Wilson has a higher ceiling but White has a higher floor. I’m taking it a game at a time. Rooting for both of them, to be honest. 

Again with the eilings and floors? ? Please shoot me now.
I can’t take any more of this nonsense.

peanut butter and jelly, apples and oranges, ham and Swiss, bacon and eggs, love and marriage, rock and roll, Guns and Roses, ceilings and floors!

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Okay, now you do the same. “Apply some perspective”… White came into that game cold, off the bench. He wasn’t the one getting reps with the first team all season.

Zach goes down, and he came in against a Belichek defense that eats young QBs for breakfast and performed pretty well.

Fast forward to the next week, he’s the one practicing with the first team. TheOC can now go up in the booth like he wants, and is able to open up the play book. White is off the charts…. Winning ensues!

Next week looks like more of the same, as White leads the team on a great scoring drive, throwing darts. He gets hurt, but Josh Johnson… yes, Josh Johnson steps in and plays very well also.

Now I’m going to ask YOU “to take emotion out of it”. Seeing all that, what makes you think Wilson is the right guy for this team, other than he was the #2 pick in the draft?

What does Wilson have to do with this? This has nothing to do with Zach   

All I’m saying is, expediting a 4 year practice squad player to become our long lost FQB, based on one quality performance where he checked down all game - Is, at best, wishful thinking.  

If you don’t see that. That’s fine, I’m just giving my opinion.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What does Wilson have to do with this? This has nothing to do with Zach   

All I’m saying is, expediting a 4 year practice squad player to become our long lost FQB, based on one quality performance where he checked down all game - Is, at best, wishful thinking.  

If you don’t see that. That’s fine, I’m just giving my opinion.  

Please. With all due respect, stop with the what does this have to do with Wilson stuff. We’re talking about the viability of White becoming the starter here as opposed to who? Joe Flacco?

What has Wilson done “to become our long lost FQB”?
He’s shown us all season he can’t complete a 5 yard pass, and he’s forcing balls downfield and not finding open receivers? Thinking he can be the guy isn’t “wishful thinking”?

Again, just like you said, “if you don’t see that, that’s fine”. I’m just giving you my opinion. I like you, and enjoy your posts…

I’m just trying to understand why you feel so sure about Wilson, and keep putting down White as only being able to “check down all game”. You saw his TD drive last week. Were his last two completions, including the TD pass check down throws? 

I’d love it if Wilson had made those throws, just saying…

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

As White prepares to start again on Sunday for the Jets against the Bills, he says he doesn’t know why NFL teams didn’t believe in him as a starting quarterback, but he always believed in himself.

"I couldn’t tell you. That’s definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is. I have 100% confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. But that’s neither here nor there. That’s four years ago. I try to get my mind off that and be in the here and now and execute what my job is right now," he said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/12/mike-white-if-you-ask-me-i-should-have-been-a-first-overall-pick/

-----------------------------------------------

I like the kid.  I like his confidence. I'm rooting hard for him.

But wow, that's one hell of a comment, probably one I think I'd rather he didn't make publicly, lol.

But hey, he comes out and burns Buffalos for another 400 yards 3 TD's and a win, maybe I'll be the one eating crow on my cynicism here, lol.

That is clearly a statement to follow up on his own personal confidence, and if every player doesn't feel the same way, they need to find a new career.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Please. With all due respect, stop with the what does this have to do with Wilson stuff.

We’re talking about the viability of White becoming the starter here as opposed to who? Joe Flacco? I’ll answer your question with your own question, and it’s about, you guessed it… 

What has Wilson done “to become our long lost FQB, based on one quality performance” and a bunch of horrible ones? Especially when he’s shown us all season he can’t complete a 5 yard pass, and he’s forcing balls downfield and not finding open receivers?

Again, just like you said, if you don’t see that, that’s fine. I’m just giving you my opinion. I like you, and enjoy your posts…

I’m just trying to understand why you feel so sure about Wilson, and keep putting down White as only being able to “check down all game”. You saw his TD drive last week. Were his last two completions, including the TD pass check down throws? 

I have to tell you, I don't agree with the premise that this is about who should be the starter.  I agree Mike White should be the starter right now - let's see what he has, I want to know as much as the next guy and would like nothing more for him to become a star.  But  finding a starting QB is not the goal here.....

I'm talking about finding a legitimate franchise QB, one capable of carrying a team to a super bowl victory. - which we haven't had in a very, very long time.  

All I'm saying is I'm not getting my hopes up over Mike White.  Is it possible he becomes a top 10 NFL QB, sure.  Is it likely, absolutely not.  IMO, expecting that would be crazy.  4 year practice squad players don't often turn into FQB's....I certainly hope he is that outlier.  

Yes, I will say I believe Zach Wilson has a FAR, FAR better chance to become that guy.  Will he? I don't know, but he is far more capable.  I have seen the potential.  The game absolutely has to slow down for him.  Will it? I don't know? He needs to process faster, will he? I don't know that either....

And no, it's not because he was the #2 overall pick - but he was the #2 pick because his talent is clearly there...

The question with Zach is can he put together?  5 games isn't going to tell us that.

I get it, honestly.   

You think Mike White, based on his Bengals performance, has shown enough to be taken seriously as true FQB candidate. - I wish I had your optimism.   Truly wish I could share that optimism.  

I get it, you don't like Zach Wilson - that's fine too - 4 out of his first 5 starts weren't good. 

I guess I have more patiences for rookie QB's in the NFL than you do. From what I've seen,  quite often NFL QB's don't consistently flourish in the 1st month of their careers.  I still love his natural skill-set and hope he can put it together.  But it is still a huge ?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I have to tell you, I don't agree with the premise that this is about who should be the starter.  I agree Mike White should be the starter right now - let's see what he has, I want to know as much as the next guy and would like nothing more for him to become a star.  But  finding a starting QB is not the goal here.....

I'm talking about finding a legitimate franchise QB, one capable of carrying a team to a super bowl victory. - which we haven't had in a very, very long time.  

All I'm saying is I'm not getting my hopes up over Mike White.  Is it possible he becomes a top 10 NFL QB, sure.  Is it likely, absolutely not.  IMO, expecting that would be crazy.  4 year practice squad players don't often turn into FQB's....I certainly hope he is that outlier.  

Yes, I will say I believe Zach Wilson has a FAR, FAR better chance to become that guy.  Will he? I don't know, but he is far more capable.  I have seen the potential.  The game absolutely has to slow down for him.  Will it? I don't know? He needs to process faster, will he? I don't know that either....

And no, it's not because he was the #2 overall pick - but he was the #2 pick because his talent is clearly there...

The question with Zach is can he put together?  5 games isn't going to tell us that.

I get it, honestly.   

You think Mike White, based on his Bengals performance, has shown enough to be taken seriously as true FQB candidate. - I wish I had your optimism.   Truly wish I could share that optimism.  

I get it, you don't like Zach Wilson - that's fine too - 4 out of his first 5 starts weren't good. 

I guess I have more patiences for rookie QB's in the NFL than you do. From what I've seen,  quite often NFL QB's don't consistently flourish in the 1st month of their careers.  I still love his natural skill-set and hope he can put it together.  But it is still a huge ?

Thanks. I think I understand where you’re coming from now.

Not to drag this on any longer than we have, but just know I don’t dislike Zach Wilson. I’d be ecstatic if he became a great QB here. It’s just that I haven’t seen one thing yet from him that shows he’s better than Mike White.

Could he do that in the future? I hope so. I have to be honest though, my gut told me he was over drafted based on a very abnormal covid related season when he put up good numbers against mediocre opposition. I haven’t seen anything yet that has made me think otherwise.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Wilson has a higher ceiling but White has a higher floor. I’m taking it a game at a time. Rooting for both of them, to be honest. 

Agreed. I don't even know if Wilson has a middle ground, he seems like a boom-or-bust type of player, but Mike White definitely does, and that is what we need right now.

29 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Thanks. I think I understand where you’re coming from now.

Not to drag this on any longer than we have, but just know I don’t dislike Zach Wilson. I’d be ecstatic if he became a great QB here. It’s just that I haven’t seen one thing yet from him that shows he’s better than Mike White.

Could he do that in the future? I hope so. I have to be honest though, my gut told me he was over drafted based on a very abnormal covid related season when he put up good numbers against mediocre opposition. I haven’t seen anything yet that has made me think otherwise.

Not one thing? How about the two throws vs Tennessee. Yea I know hero ball blah blah- white can only makes those plays in his dreams 

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other than regret over the waste of a 2nd overall pick, does any Jets fan honestly care how/where we find a 26-27 yr old FQB? 

If White proves worthy of being the Jets' starter for the next decade, and the Wilson pick is wasted, so be it. I'm satisfied with any under-contract Jets QB proving himself to be a worthy FQB. Once it was clear Darnold wasn't that guy, I'm not nearly spoiled enough to complain about the inefficient path to get there. 

If it's White and not Wilson? Hey, however it happens.

We should be so lucky that White continues to impress. 

Definitely

BUT, it also makes sense to keep reiterating how unlikely it is that Mike White is finally the guy. This early into Chad's career, people were calling him Montana. So a healthy skepticism is warranted. 

I will say that a part of me always thought when the Jets finally did find the next guy, he would come out of nowhere like White has. Still - I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Please. With all due respect, stop with the what does this have to do with Wilson stuff. We’re talking about the viability of White becoming the starter here as opposed to who? Joe Flacco?

What has Wilson done “to become our long lost FQB”?
He’s shown us all season he can’t complete a 5 yard pass, and he’s forcing balls downfield and not finding open receivers? Thinking he can be the guy isn’t “wishful thinking”?

Again, just like you said, “if you don’t see that, that’s fine”. I’m just giving you my opinion. I like you, and enjoy your posts…

It feels like everyone is rooting for their opinions to be right and trying to be some hot take artist....this situation isn't very complicated Wilson has been bad so far and hasn't proven he should be on the field while Mike White has been a pleasant surprise...start White for a few games and finish the season with Wilson...some fans are rooting for people Wilson, JD, Mims over the uniform it's strange.  Hopefully one of these guys is our starter for the next decade I could care less which one it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

That is clearly a statement to follow up on his own personal confidence, and if every player doesn't feel the same way, they need to find a new career.

Meanwhile, when asked by reporters if he believes he should remain the starter in Carolina, Darnold said “I mean, I’m not gonna explain to you guys why I should start.”

1 hour ago, undertow said:

It feels like everyone is rooting for their opinions to be right and trying to be some hot take artist....this situation isn't very complicated Wilson has been bad so far and hasn't proven he should be on the field while Mike White has been a pleasant surprise...start White for a few games and finish the season with Wilson...some fans are rooting for people Wilson, JD, Mims over the uniforms it's strange.  Hopefully one of these guys is our starter for the next decade I could care less which one it is.

excellent post.

the thing i think divides this fan base is some think White starts until he fails badly. while other think Wilson HAS to play some games this season.

i am with the latter.

if White runs the board this year then he starts the season next year, even if Wilson looks better in camp. then that's its. White is our QB and Wilson is not. but its wrong to judge the kid on just 5 games.

this season is about developing the players so lets do that. we have the luxury this year to sit White no matter how well hes playing for a few games and give Wilson some more games. 

White could be a Kirk Cousin type, but Wilson with his upside could be a Drew Brees type. both would be great upgrades for us, but i would really hate to keep Cousins and trade away Brees.

if White starts every game this season Wilson will never start another game for us again. it is too important for us to get this right. Wilson needs more starts no matter what

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

excellent post.

the thing i think divides this fan base is some think White starts until he fails badly. while other think Wilson HAS to play some games this season.

i am with the latter.

if White runs the board this year then he starts the season next year, even if Wilson looks better in camp. then that's its. White is our QB and Wilson is not. but its wrong to judge the kid on just 5 games.

this season is about developing the players so lets do that. we have the luxury this year to sit White no matter how well hes playing for a few games and give Wilson some more games. 

White could be a Kirk Cousin type, but Wilson with his upside could be a Drew Brees type. both would be great upgrades for us, but i would really hate to keep Cousins and trade away Brees.

if White starts every game this season Wilson will never start another game for us again. it is too important for us to get this right. Wilson needs more starts no matter what

I get that Wilson has the higher ceiling but if he plays like he did in his first five games now it's a disaster and stunts the growth of the whole team.  Let White play 3 or 4 games and hopefully Wilson comes back more prepared.  What's irritating is people creating their own reality to fit what they want or win an argument. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Definitely

BUT, it also makes sense to keep reiterating how unlikely it is that Mike White is finally the guy. This early into Chad's career, people were calling him Montana. So a healthy skepticism is warranted. 

I will say that a part of me always thought when the Jets finally did find the next guy, he would come out of nowhere like White has. Still - I'll believe it when I see it. 

I wasn't making predictions as to likelihood; big duh one start plus one drive doesn't yet make him anything long term. 

I was making a statement along the lines of IDGAF if it ends up being White rather than Wilson.

Also IDGAF if it's Wilson, and White regresses back to QB3/PS status.

In other words, IDGAF which one ends up being worth starting for 5-10 years or more. If any under-contract Jet (still in his 20s, no less) proves to be a FQB, I am a happy sperm.

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What makes you say that?

I should have unbridled enthusiasm?

The reality of the situation is far different than fans on this board are making it out to be.

I'm just trying to look at this from a non-biased perspective.

Let's hope he can do more than check-down.  Maybe he can be successful throwing the ball downfield, I sure hope so - but we have nothing to believe he can - nothing to believe he can't either...

But it is a necessary part of being an NFL QB - and the level of enthusiasm for him - based on one good and one bad performance is, IMO, an overreaction.

Honestly, would love it if he was the guy we're all hoping he can be - but the actual likelihood of that, while certainly being possible, is still quite small.

No, it's that sometimes you shouldn't say anything if "unbiased" is what you're looking to project. 

It's not your elected job to temper the early enthusiasm of fans who are justifiably happy over a decidedly unexpected and pleasant surprise. You're pissing all over what is still just temporary elation. No one's calling for 10-year Mike White extensions, so what's it to you?

The last thing you're coming across as here is "unbiased" -- unbiased wouldn't be enumerating the disadvantages of one while making nothing of so many initial on-field failures of the other. It's clear you're conflating White playing it mostly safer in his first start - something I wish Wilson had done, frankly - with not having enough arm to deliver a pass downfield or throw a deep out.

White may never be more than a backup long term, but that doesn't therefore mean he's got Luke Falk's arm. That further certainly doesn't make your - I'm sorry, ridiculous - Whitewashed retelling of the Bengals game accurate, as though he completed 37 checkdowns (on top of the 3  others that bounced off receivers' hands). 

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

As White prepares to start again on Sunday for the Jets against the Bills, he says he doesn’t know why NFL teams didn’t believe in him as a starting quarterback, but he always believed in himself.

"I couldn’t tell you. That’s definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is. I have 100% confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. But that’s neither here nor there. That’s four years ago. I try to get my mind off that and be in the here and now and execute what my job is right now," he said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/12/mike-white-if-you-ask-me-i-should-have-been-a-first-overall-pick/

-----------------------------------------------

I like the kid.  I like his confidence. I'm rooting hard for him.

But wow, that's one hell of a comment, probably one I think I'd rather he didn't make publicly, lol.

But hey, he comes out and burns Buffalos for another 400 yards 3 TD's and a win, maybe I'll be the one eating crow on my cynicism here, lol.

It's  not so outrageous  considering the results up to now. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it's that sometimes you shouldn't say anything if "unbiased" is what you're looking to project. 

It's not your elected job to temper the early enthusiasm of fans who are justifiably happy over a decidedly unexpected and pleasant surprise. You're pissing all over what is still just temporary elation. No one's calling for 10-year Mike White extensions, so what's it to you?

The last thing you're coming across as here is "unbiased" -- unbiased wouldn't be enumerating the disadvantages of one while making nothing of so many initial on-field failures of the other. It's clear you're conflating White playing it mostly safer in his first start - something I wish Wilson had done, frankly - with not having enough arm to deliver a pass downfield or throw a deep out.

White may never be more than a backup long term, but that doesn't therefore mean he's got Luke Falk's arm. That further certainly doesn't make your - I'm sorry, ridiculous - Whitewashed retelling of the Bengals game accurate, as though he completed 37 checkdowns (on top of the 3  others that bounced off receivers' hands). 

Why do you think it's your job to tell me what my job is?

I am surely allowed to project my opinion - if you don't agree with my message I am sorry...but tempering enthusiasm is a legitimate use case for a message board.  

Be excited as you want, I can't stop, nor do I want to - all I'm saying my expectations are, as you stated, tempered.

Truthfully, if you think a quality performance against The Bengals (and yes, it was mostly check downs - he didn't complete a single 20 yard pass in the air) to realistically view this guy as a potential FQB, I honestly say good for you.  I wish I could share that optimism.  

In my experience, guys don't play mostly 4 years in the NFL on practice squads and become top 10 NFL QB's...I really do hope I'm wrong. 

My comments about Mike have nothing to do with Zach - they are two very different situations.  

My high hopes for Zach have nothing to do with White -Nor sure how you would come to that conclusion.  I certainly haven't claimed anything of the sort. 

I want Mike White to get the next couple to starts and I hope he proves me wrong.  I'll take all the abuse y'all wanna throw at me when Mike White is a top NFL QB.  

12 hours ago, Hex said:

Agreed. I don't even know if Wilson has a middle ground, he seems like a boom-or-bust type of player, but Mike White definitely does, and that is what we need right now.

So your hope for the Jets is to have a middle of the road FQB?

IMHO, middle of the road is FAAR worse than bust.  Middle of the road means you languish in mediocrity for a decade...

Bust, you're done in 2 or 3 years and can keep trying.

I want a Super Bowl and would rather keep shooting for the top 5 guy that will get us in the playoffs every year - with a realistic shot at a championship, every year!

• Upvote 1