Mike White "I should have been a first overall pick".

Warfish

16 hours ago, Drums said:

Wilson has a higher ceiling but White has a higher floor. I’m taking it a game at a time. Rooting for both of them, to be honest. 

If they both have a chance to be our FQB, then the ceiling is the same - and thus is just something people say to sound contemplative.

• Upvote 1

Dear Mr White,

It has recently come to my attention that you believe you should have been a first overall pick. You’re fairly new here, so I’d like to take a moment to inform you of some things. Considering Sam was a #3 overall, and Zach was a #2, you may not be all that off in your assessment; however, as displayed by your most recent stint with Not-badly-hurt-but-not-able-to-throw-the-ball-itis I urge you to remember that this is a cursed franchise. I feel you should absolutely believe in yourself… quietly, behind closed, locked, and shuttered doors so as not to disturb or anger the gods. Many of the fans believe in your abilities, as we believe in Zach’s abilities, and really only want both of you to be successful. You are coming dangerously close to ruining that. Tread lightly, Mr. White. They are always watching. 

sincerely,

a Concerned Goddamned Jets fan

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why do you think it's your job to tell me what my job is?

I am surely allowed to project my opinion - if you don't agree with my message I am sorry...but tempering enthusiasm is a legitimate use case for a message board.  

Be excited as you want, I can't stop, nor do I want to - all I'm saying my expectations are, as you stated, tempered.

Truthfully, if you think a quality performance against The Bengals (and yes, it was mostly check downs - he didn't complete a single 20 yard pass in the air) to realistically view this guy as a potential FQB, I honestly say good for you.  I wish I could share that optimism.  

In my experience, guys don't play mostly 4 years in the NFL on practice squads and become top 10 NFL QB's...I really do hope I'm wrong. 

My comments about Mike have nothing to do with Zach - they are two very different situations.  

My high hopes for Zach have nothing to do with White -Nor sure how you would come to that conclusion.  I certainly haven't claimed anything of the sort. 

I want Mike White to get the next couple to starts and I hope he proves me wrong.  I'll take all the abuse y'all wanna throw at me when Mike White is a top NFL QB.  

You are saying far more than your expectations are tempered. You are also saying and trying to influence what others should think, in response to some promising Jets QBing for a change. Site moderators we do have something to say about that. 

No one cares what his odds of success were, when his starting point was the practice squad, other than that adds some charm to the surprise. His more recent starting point was rostered QB2, not practice squad. He's looked pretty good since his only start, right up to a fluke temporary injury. 

You didn't say it was mostly checkdowns against the Bengals. You in effect said that's all he did, by wondering outwardly:

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's hope he can do more than check-down.

The obvious insinuation being that is all he did, which is false.

And every short and intermediate pass is not a checkdown. There are plenty of plays where that is the designed target, including to the RB. And frankly, when under duress and/or when downfield receivers are covered that's he's supposed to do: take what the D is giving while they're giving it. I'm less impressed by a #2 pick throwing a pick in the same type of situation, where I'm to accept the silver lining of the pick being thrown on a frozen rope. 

White has LOTS more to prove than he's done so far, but with the offense moving the ball while he's out there, there's plenty of reason for any reasonable fan to be optimistic & interested for the upcoming game. People are excited to see what happens next, to enjoy the moment for as long as it lasts, so why this is an issue for you is beyond me.

You are not unbiased; your bias is obvious. Hey that's fine, but expect pushback when you claim otherwise, as though you're the lone voice of reason on a ship of fools. 

I'm not going to lie, I want Zach to be the quarterback.  I don't know why I prefer that.  Maybe because of where they drafted him?

That being said, if White is awesome then I'm 100% on board.  

I'm really hoping they're both the truth and we profit with a massive trade!

I do realize how greedy that sounds for a Jets fan.   

**** it, WE ARE DUE for some good fortune. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are saying far more than your expectations are tempered. You are also saying and trying to influence what others should think, in response to some promising Jets QBing for a change. Site moderators we do have something to say about that. 

No one cares what his odds of success were, when his starting point was the practice squad, other than that adds some charm to the surprise. His more recent starting point was rostered QB2, not practice squad. He's looked pretty good since his only start, right up to a fluke temporary injury. 

You didn't say it was mostly checkdowns against the Bengals. You in effect said that's all he did, by wondering outwardly:

The obvious insinuation being that is all he did, which is false.

And every short and intermediate pass is not a checkdown. There are plenty of plays where that is the designed target, including to the RB. And frankly, when under duress and/or when downfield receivers are covered that's he's supposed to do: take what the D is giving while they're giving it. I'm less impressed by a #2 pick throwing a pick in the same type of situation, where I'm to accept the silver lining of the pick being thrown on a frozen rope. 

White has LOTS more to prove than he's done so far, but with the offense moving the ball while he's out there, there's plenty of reason for any reasonable fan to be optimistic & interested for the upcoming game. People are excited to see what happens next, to enjoy the moment for as long as it lasts, so why this is an issue for you is beyond me.

You are not unbiased; your bias is obvious. Hey that's fine, but expect pushback when you claim otherwise, as though you're the lone voice of reason on a ship of fools. 

If you’re making these statements as a moderator rather than just a poster that disagrees, I find that worrisome for this site.  

My opinion that the unbridled enthusiasm for Mike White is overblown should not be viewed as a rule violation of the platform.  It’s a quite reasonable position. 

I’m clearly not trolling or personally attacking anyone - but rather expressing an opinion on Jets football.   

Moreover, I’m not a consistent negative poster that just bogs down the platform with negative views   

I have an opinion and was under the impression that disagreeing with a moderator was allowed. It seems I was wrong.  Honestly, using your position as a moderator to stifle that opinion is truly concerning.  

I wish you good luck. I’m out. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If they both have a chance to be our FQB, then the ceiling is the same - and thus is just something people say to sound contemplative.

I disagree. Mike White hasn’t shown you need to cover the whole field and he is less mobile. There are definitely tiers to franchise qbs.  For example: Kirk Cousins vs. Josh Allen. Both FQBs, but they are not on the same level. Not trying to get into a debate about ceilings 'cause I don't care-- happy if either turns out to be a FQB and Mike White is FUN to root for.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you’re making these statements as a moderator rather than just a poster that disagrees, I find that worrisome for this site.  

My opinion that the unbridled enthusiasm for Mike White is overblown should not be viewed as a rule violation of the platform.  It’s a quite reasonable position. 

I’m clearly not trolling or personally attacking anyone - but rather expressing an opinion on Jets football.   

Moreover, I’m not a consistent negative poster that just bogs down the platform with negative views   

I have an opinion and was under the impression that disagreeing with a moderator was allowed. It seems I was wrong.  Honestly, using your position as a moderator to stifle that opinion is truly concerning.  

I wish you good luck. I’m out. 

Unbridled enthusiasm lol.

Surely you can identify the difference between people having tongue-in-cheek fun with the moment, and truly anointing him the starter for the next 5-10 years and walking into the HOF in his first year of eligibility, while Zach Wilson never sees the field again for us. 

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me on football stuff; I don't know where that comes from. Piling on to rain/piss on fans who are excited to watch Jets football for a change, on offense, is meh. Especially when framing a performance in a dishonest fashion to do so (i.e. he did nothing but check down, which is outright false). 

Enjoy the moment yourself, if you can. If he flops tomorrow, you're free to enjoy it even more. ;) 

• WTF? 1

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

As White prepares to start again on Sunday for the Jets against the Bills, he says he doesn’t know why NFL teams didn’t believe in him as a starting quarterback, but he always believed in himself.

"I couldn’t tell you. That’s definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is. I have 100% confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. But that’s neither here nor there. That’s four years ago. I try to get my mind off that and be in the here and now and execute what my job is right now," he said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/12/mike-white-if-you-ask-me-i-should-have-been-a-first-overall-pick/

-----------------------------------------------

I like the kid.  I like his confidence. I'm rooting hard for him.

But wow, that's one hell of a comment, probably one I think I'd rather he didn't make publicly, lol.

But hey, he comes out and burns Buffalos for another 400 yards 3 TD's and a win, maybe I'll be the one eating crow on my cynicism here, lol.

I like that statement by him!

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unbridled enthusiasm lol.

Surely you can identify the difference between people having tongue-in-cheek fun with the moment, and truly anointing him the starter for the next 5-10 years and walking into the HOF in his first year of eligibility, while Zach Wilson never sees the field again for us. 

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me on football stuff; I don't know where that comes from. Piling on to rain/piss on fans who are excited to watch Jets football for a change, on offense, is meh. Especially when framing a performance in a dishonest fashion to do so (i.e. he did nothing but check down, which is outright false). 

Enjoy the moment yourself, if you can. If he flops tomorrow, you're free to enjoy it even more. ;) 

Do you realize how laughably hypocritical your stance is considering that people on this site have been actively hating and sh*tting on our #2 pick since before he took the field? How about also standing up for fans that want to be enthusiastic about the player that you know, is actually likely to be our stater for many years? We all want white to be Brady, but the reality is that I have a better chance of winning the lottery. 

Do you realize how laughably hypocritical your stance is considering that people on this site have been actively hating and sh*tting on our #2 pick since before he took the field? How about also standing up for fans that want to be enthusiastic about the player that you know, is actually likely to be our stater for many years? We all want white to be Brady, but the reality is that I have a better chance of winning the lottery. 

It doesnt have to be a Tom Brady situation.
Imagine if Parcells went back to Glenn Foley in 1998. Imagine if Vrabel went back to Marriota. Thing is we dont know if Zach will be here for many years because no one knows if Zach is even any good yet. He hasnt done it consistently and until then, give me the guy who does.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Imagine if Parcells went back to Glenn Foley in 1998. Imagine if Vrabel went back to Marriota. Thing is we dont know if Zach will be here for many years because no one knows if Zach is even any good yet. He hasnt done it consistently and until then, give me the guy who does.

You are giving Mike White every benefit of the doubt after 1 game while comparing Wilson to joke bust QBs after 5. Laughing out loud 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why do you think it's your job to tell me what my job is?

I am surely allowed to project my opinion - if you don't agree with my message I am sorry...but tempering enthusiasm is a legitimate use case for a message board.  

Be excited as you want, I can't stop, nor do I want to - all I'm saying my expectations are, as you stated, tempered.

Truthfully, if you think a quality performance against The Bengals (and yes, it was mostly check downs - he didn't complete a single 20 yard pass in the air) to realistically view this guy as a potential FQB, I honestly say good for you.  I wish I could share that optimism.  

In my experience, guys don't play mostly 4 years in the NFL on practice squads and become top 10 NFL QB's...I really do hope I'm wrong. 

My comments about Mike have nothing to do with Zach - they are two very different situations.  

My high hopes for Zach have nothing to do with White -Nor sure how you would come to that conclusion.  I certainly haven't claimed anything of the sort. 

I want Mike White to get the next couple to starts and I hope he proves me wrong.  I'll take all the abuse y'all wanna throw at me when Mike White is a top NFL QB.  

Conan Obrien Reaction GIF

So much here...

1. Constantly seeking argument, with an impressively limited mindset that that's normal and all this site is here for is argument.

2. Terrible at debate, because you're incapable of discerning fact from opinion.

3. Zero objectivity. Plenty of posturing to look/sound thoughtful when all you're doing is derping in favor of your bias.

4. "In [your] experience..." LMAO

5. Zach hasn't shown anything good, but he has you full-on support. Mike has shown something good, and you pretend to be methodically skeptical, yet willing to eat crow.

Simply put: Nah dog, we see you.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

You are giving Mike White every benefit of the doubt after 1 game while comparing Wilson to joke bust QBs after 5. Laughing out loud 

Mike White passes the eyeball test.

Zach Wilson hasn't passed his driving test.

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Zach Wilson won't sign a 2nd contract with the Jets, regardless of how good/bad he ends up being. We've had LOTS of players that didn't want to be here the past 10 years... Zach is the most blatant about it.

He didn't want to be here before he even got drafted, man.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Given the Jets history of drafting QBs, it wouldn’t surprise me at all that they finally find their franchise QB by stumbling upon Mike White.  

We have 10000000% earn this sort of feel-good story.

I've said it for 2 weeks. I don't care where the great QB comes from, just that he arrives. Some people get far too into their heads about the idealism of the #2 pick HAS to be the guy... Nah, nah, nah... the guy is the guy. That's all.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Zach Wilson won't sign a 2nd contract with the Jets, regardless of how good/bad he ends up being. We've had LOTS of players that didn't want to be here the past 10 years... Zach is the most blatant about it.

He didn't want to be here before he even got drafted, man.

Can you direct message me next weeks winning lotto numbers? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Drums said:

I disagree. Mike White hasn’t shown you need to cover the whole field and he is less mobile. There are definitely tiers to franchise qbs.  For example: Kirk Cousins vs. Josh Allen. Both FQBs, but they are not on the same level. Not trying to get into a debate about ceilings 'cause I don't care-- happy if either turns out to be a FQB and Mike White is FUN to root for.

We're doing different math... Kirk Cousins isn't a FQB. 

It's why he isn't in Washington anymore. It's why he won't get another contract in Minnesota.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

15th Qb is league average 

Girl Reaction GIF

15 is just halfway through a list of 32. It's not a reflection of the league's statistical average. Meaning, the top 5 might raise the average, the bottom 10 might lower it, and the 15 in between might all be about the same with marginal difference separating them.

Also in a league that sends 14 teams to the playoffs... I'm okay with our odds if we have a QB that is delivering stats that land him on the top half of the list.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Girl Reaction GIF

15 is just halfway through a list of 32. It's not a reflection of the league's statistical average. Meaning, the top 5 might raise the average, the bottom 10 might lower it, and the 15 in between might all be about the same with marginal difference separating them.

Also in a league that sends 14 teams to the playoffs... I'm okay with our odds if we have a QB that is delivering stats that land him on the top half of the list.

You’re right, could be worse than average 

When the league became a pass-first league, the forward thinking offensive coaches understood that short passes were a more sophisticated way of augmenting the run game by getting the ball to dynamic players near the line of scrimmage to exploit YAC mismatches. 

Complaining about 'dump offs' is equal to complaining about having a competent offense. I don't get it. How do so many people invest so much in this game, and not actually understand what they're looking at?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Of course this is nonsense but give the Jets credit they chose White over Morgan and made him their backup Qb with no game experience. Many of us thought a bad decision if you are going to start a rookie Qb so your activated Qbs going into the season had no snaps total in a regulation game. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White’s average y/a and yards per completion are both higher than Josh Allen’s.

A bit ingenuine because pushing the ball down the field lowers your completion percentage which then lowers both of those stats. 

I didn't rewatch the game, but it seemed like most of his bases were dump offs while the other receivers ran deep allowing a lot of room for the back to gain yards before contact.  I'd like to see a stat of how many yards were YAC.  

If that's the game he plays, then he has to be able to connect with the occasional deep shot to keep defenses from Pennington-ing him and flooding the passing lanes inside the box.