Whats the deal with the pro Zack Wilson people?

TerrapinJet

I've seen a ton of people on youtube and here gloating that they were "right".   Something like "See, Mike White sucks you idiots. Z Wilson is obviously the guy, that was never in question unless youre an idiot?"   I dont get this. 
Mike White sucks. Granted.  But what has Z Wilson done to show hes the "the guy"?   If White sucks....Wilson is......well i dont know but he clearly sucks as well.   Thoughts?
I think its because it was always obvious which guy has more arm talent and higher ceiling ... and then the deluge of idiotic statements from the mass overreacting to White's tremendous debut.

White is a nice backup .. but its clear which guy could potentially be the man.

I agree with your observation though .. apostles of both guys have been hard to take.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Five

Games

If you would have written Darnold off after five games you still would have been wrong because the premise was wrong. Just because it would have turned out correct doesn't make a difference.

Preaching to the choir. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I get that, but people act like White has reached his ceiling and this is who he is.  He has a lot of room for growth. 

your right. its just we dont have the time to give him that. we cant develop 2 QBs. Zach needs to get back to starting for better or for worst. sideline class is over.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It was the 3rd start of his career.  If Zach can get better, why can’t Mike get better as well.  Why the double standard?  

Mike can definitely improve from his performance against the Bills, as Zach can improve from his bad games too. I just think Zach has the potential to improve much more in the long run, but also can get much worse too. 

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

It's sort of like saying Lefleur can be a good OC if he calls the game in the booth after doing it once.  

I mean, he did call the game differently when he was in the booth against the Bengals (and maybe the colts and bills, didn't watch those ones closely enough). LaFleur has proven he can play-call better, but can he be consistent? As a rookie OC, I don't think so yet. But he can be a good OC is he calls from the booth. That doesn't mean he will be.

Who has been gloating over White's failure?

I think some Jets fans have had "fun" with the idea that maybe this guy who had a great debut was a secret savior, although I doubt anyone took it seriously. It was really just a fund diversion in the 10th disastrous season in 11 years. 

Anyone who is making YouTube videos celebrating his failure to promote Zach Wilson is an idiot.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

I've seen a ton of people on youtube and here gloating that they were "right".   Something like "See, Mike White sucks you idiots. Z Wilson is obviously the guy, that was never in question unless youre an idiot?"   I dont get this. 

Mike White sucks. Granted.  But what has Z Wilson done to show hes the "the guy"?   If White sucks....Wilson is......well i dont know but he clearly sucks as well.   Thoughts?

This may come has a complete shock to some, but you can't make a definitive judgment on a rookie QB after six games. I don't know that he's the guy, but I sure has hell also don't know that he's not the guy.

He is by far the most talented QB we've drafted since...Joe Namath? He's in another stratosphere in terms of natural ability than Sanchez or Darnold or Geno. He seems like a brighter kid than any of the three previously mentioned QBs as well. Clean up his mechanics, get him to take what the defensive gives him and I think he'll be fine.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nothing is clear. Mike White doesn’t necessarily suck, he just got crushed by #1 defense in league. Not making weapons excuse but the line struggled and his suppose #1 receiver was pretty lacking. This was Mikes Whites “ ghost game.” People seem to forget that he started the year with as many NFL playing minutes and starts as Zach Wilson. 

Zach doesn’t necessarily suck either, he’s a rookie who has taken his lumps and then some. The next time we see Zach play we need to see he learned a couple things while out, namely taking what the defense gives you until they take it away then take that! 

This is all potential and I’m honestly just saying this because I finished a couple nice breakfast tacos so feeling good. I think the difference we will eventually see is Mike White can take what the defense gives but not ready to adapt when they take that away, namely the quick short game. 

The only reason to be optimistic about Zach is he very possibly may be able to adapt to the defense taking the short game away. Yet, he hasn’t proven to have the patients and accuracy to excel  on the short yardage game  yet. That’s what we need to see next.

So to answers the question Zach may be able to adapt better to the long medium game  after the short game provided he can master the short game. Zach may have a better second gear but has to learn how to drive in first before that matters .

People online or anywhere acting like it’s a foregone conclusion are simply wrong. 

Longest non-Mafia post I’ve ever seen Crusher make, and it’s a good one. 

To borrow from @CTM here, nice job bacon brain.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, sec101row23 said:

It was the 3rd start of his career.  If Zach can get better, why can’t Mike get better as well.  Why the double standard?  

You can always learn and improve the nuances of the game, you can't change physical limitations.  

• Upvote 1

How do people have this mindset? It just seems so irrational. Mike white at his very best will be Kirk cousins with a weaker arm. If Zach reaches his peak he can be mahomes or Rodgers. White is is year 3 or 4 so obvious he’s more polished than Wilson. From day 1 it was obvious that Wilson needed time to develop. These knee jerk reactions make me wonder how people with complete high and lows on either side can function in life. Zach needs time to see what he can do. White can get a bit better, but not much. 

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

How do people have this mindset? It just seems so irrational. Mike white at his very best will be Kirk cousins with a weaker arm. If Zach reaches his peak he can be mahomes or Rodgers. White is is year 3 or 4 so obvious he’s more polished than Wilson. From day 1 it was obvious that Wilson needed time to develop. These knee jerk reactions make me wonder how you people can function in life. 

Kirk Cousins would be in the Jets ring of honor based on his play to date.    Kirk Cousins would be the best Jets QB since dare I say it...

On 11/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, TerrapinJet said:

I'd like to think I'm pretty plugged into YouTube, are you saying content creators are saying that or people in the comments?

I can't speak for anyone else but I was excited for White while also realizing his 405 yard performance was largely within 5 yards of the LoS.

I do think Wilson is likely the QB we should be keeping an eye on to be the long term starter but I'd still put the 2nd round tender in White after the season.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Kirk Cousins would be in the Jets ring of honor based on his play to date.    Kirk Cousins would be the best Jets QB since dare I say it...

If you consider playoff wins then Pennington, testeverde and Sanchez were better qbs than Kirk. Kirk cousins has never really been that successful. How many playoff wins does he have? He also has an atrocious record against winning teams. It’s something like 8-40 Cousins also has a stronger arm than white which helps keep the defense from clogging up the middle of the field, which based on Sunday white does not have. The bills dared white to throw it deep and he failed miserably every time. In the bengals game 90% of whites yards are from passes within 10 yards. When you can’t keep them honest they will swallow that up which is exactly what the bills did. 

On 11/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, TerrapinJet said:

Grow up.  Face reality.  Wilson was a heavy draft investment and the Jets should and will see it out.  If you've got complaints about that, then fine. But to start by attacking Wilson supporters in the thread title is idiotic.  Prediction: you won't be hanging around this board for very long.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:40 AM, the Claw said:

It's a mentality I’ll never understand. I figure it’s a last ditch effort of weak-minded men to retain some control over their fandom. The need to be right overshadows the desire for the team to be successful. 

I think you nailed it.  Good description of the original post. 

I've been reading this board for years and I've always enjoyed it. I never look at fin heaven because Dolphin fans lack personality, and I don't think I've looked at a Pats forum for years because NE fans lack pretty much every positive trait its possible to have.

One thing I've noticed here as an objective witness is that you guys seem so much more down on Wilson than I ever remember you being on Darnold. Even in his second year when he struggled. There seemed to be a lot more posters defending him and showing patience. 

I get why it is but I'm still surprised by it

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:36 AM, The Crusher said:

Nothing is clear. Mike White doesn’t necessarily suck, he just got crushed by #1 defense in league. Not making weapons excuse but the line struggled and his suppose #1 receiver was pretty lacking. This was Mikes Whites “ ghost game.” People seem to forget that he started the year with as many NFL playing minutes and starts as Zach Wilson. 

Zach doesn’t necessarily suck either, he’s a rookie who has taken his lumps and then some. The next time we see Zach play we need to see he learned a couple things while out, namely taking what the defense gives you until they take it away then take that! 

This is all potential and I’m honestly just saying this because I finished a couple nice breakfast tacos so feeling good. I think the difference we will eventually see is Mike White can take what the defense gives but not ready to adapt when they take that away, namely the quick short game. 

The only reason to be optimistic about Zach is he very possibly may be able to adapt to the defense taking the short game away. Yet, he hasn’t proven to have the patients and accuracy to excel  on the short yardage game  yet. That’s what we need to see next.

So to answers the question Zach may be able to adapt better to the long medium game  after the short game provided he can master the short game. Zach may have a better second gear but has to learn how to drive in first before that matters .

People online or anywhere acting like it’s a foregone conclusion are simply wrong. 

Very good and rational post.

I wish all of the anti-zach people around here could take such a thoughtful, realistic view of the situation.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Kind of like anointing White after one big game against a team that plays like shlt

Totally. There are always two extremes to any point, and both are guaranteed to show up on this forum. Just because Mike White threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs in one game doesn't mean he's the next Tom Brady, but just the same playing terribly against the best defense in the league doesn't mean he's horrible. This goes for anything that happens. The more sample size, the better.

4 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

I've been reading this board for years and I've always enjoyed it. I never look at fin heaven because Dolphin fans lack personality, and I don't think I've looked at a Pats forum for years because NE fans lack pretty much every positive trait its possible to have.

One thing I've noticed here as an objective witness is that you guys seem so much more down on Wilson than I ever remember you being on Darnold. Even in his second year when he struggled. There seemed to be a lot more posters defending him and showing patience. 

I get why it is but I'm still surprised by it

Yes and thank you for noticing.

There is a relatively large contingent of JN that didn't like ZW pre-draft that are thoroughly enjoying his poor performances.

It's a vocal minority for sure - but enough that will skew this board and make it very difficult to have a reasonable discussion on his performance and potential.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

There is a relatively large contingent of JN that didn't like ZW pre-draft that are thoroughly enjoying his poor performances.

It's a vocal minority for sure - but enough that will skew this board and make it very difficult to have a reasonable discussion on his performance and potential.

The people who wanted one of the other QBs cant seem to just let the guy we picked develop.  Bet no one is crying in Jax that they shouldnt have picked Lawrence etc

• Upvote 1

Let me explain something to you in simple terms- if I knew there was an impending doom coming to my community and no one believed me, I would take no enjoyment in watching it happen. Quite the contrary I’d be devastated. It’s the same with Zach. I’m not enjoying that he sucks, I’m trying to help you all see the light in hopes it’s enough to convince the FO they can move on quickly from their mistake since they clearly respond to Woody, who clearly responds to pressure from fans. Zach Wilson is not a good QB. He’s a product of a media desperate to create ratings in the draft and a team desperate to find a QB. The only thing “special” about him at all is he has good arm strength and can throw sidearm ??‍♂️. He’s small, not particularly athletic, and not very (football) smart.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Zach Wilson is not a good QB. He’s a product of a media desperate to create ratings in the draft and a team desperate to find a QB. The only thing “special” about him at all is he has good arm strength and can throw sidearm ??‍♂️. He’s small, not particularly athletic, and not very (football) smart.

Comedy Central Eye Roll GIF by Inside Amy Schumer