Quinnen Williams has all but disappeared

DonCorleone

1 hour ago, doitny said:

laugh all you want, the joke will be on you when we draft all defense.

this defense is on its way to being the worst defense in the history of the NFL. your crazy to think were going to draft some Center or Guard in the 1st rd.

I think you’re right friend, because this franchise is clueless

the questions is, do you agree with that approach

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Q is a victim of his draft position. He’d have to be Aaron Donald to live up to where he was drafted - never gonna happen 

Never mind Donald, Baby Huey is not Denico Autry he loafs during the play.

His brother was given all the hustling genes in the William family

2 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

I think you’re right friend, because this franchise is clueless

the questions is, do you agree with that approach

how can i not at this point.  

maybe if there is a really good WR we cant pass up then no. got get him. but im not using 2 more high 1st rd picks on the OL. 

nobody in the NFL has drafted OL in the 1st rd 4 times in 3 years. some of the best teams dont even have 1 first rd pick on OL.

8 hours ago, doitny said:

laugh all you want, the joke will be on you when we draft all defense.

this defense is on its way to being the worst defense in the history of the NFL. your crazy to think were going to draft some Center or Guard in the 1st rd.

Exactly. JD has focused so heavily on offense that this off-season it will be defense. I see edge with the first pick but I see one of linderbaum or ekwanu with the 2nd first round pick. The rest of the draft will focus heavily on lb/s/cb with maybe a TE sprinkled in. It’s fairly obvious 

• Upvote 1

There is LITERALLY an Emmy-award winning show about a coach who moves to a different country and coaches a sport he knows nothing about who ends up succeeding because he takes the strengths of the players he has and builds a philosophy around that.

And this works in real life, sports and business.  But continually in the sport of football people get married to a system.  Then, they force a system on the players they have, who can't run it.  Then you have to, for AT LEAST three years draft and sign players who can play that system, and learn to play together.  But no team gives a coach that much time, so they fire said coach and bring in someone who runs a different system.  Then you have to get rid of all those players and you have to, for AT LEAST three years draft and sign players.

And we wonder why we feel like hamsters running on a wheel.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

There is LITERALLY an Emmy-award winning show about a coach who moves to a different country and coaches a sport he knows nothing about who succeeds BECAUSE he takes the strengths of the players he has and builds a philosophy around that.

And it works. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 8:51 AM, munchmemory said:

"Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is one of the Jets’ top players. It is hard to debate that..."

Exactly why we are, once again, heading deeper into the ditch.   For some odd reason, this franchise continues to accept mediocrity-minus as its gold standard.  

The "some odd reason" you refer to sits at the very top of the organization.  

There was sound reasoning involved when Belichick wrote his resignation on a used table napkin before leaving town on a rocket sled after he got a sample of what the new ownership was all about. 

Consider all the NFL franchises that are usual contenders.  Consider the franchises that are always "improving" but never improved.  Then, look up.  

• Sympathy 1

On 11/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, BurntDice said:

Exactly. JD has focused so heavily on offense that this off-season it will be defense. I see edge with the first pick but I see one of linderbaum or ekwanu with the 2nd first round pick. The rest of the draft will focus heavily on lb/s/cb with maybe a TE sprinkled in. It’s fairly obvious 

raise the roof party hard GIF by Captain Obvious

Saleh may be on to something saying he wants Q fresh for those power bursts in the final 2mins.....didn't Q just have a last second sack to put the game away?

But anywho....think about it like this: 40 snaps X 3 seconds per snap = 120 seconds per game, ears pinned back. That's 2 minutes of actual play time and 3 hrs minus 2 minutes of recovery time.

I'm telling my boss "look, I'm gonna CRUSH it for 2 minutes a day, then take the rest of the day off, cool?"

One sack every 63.0 snaps (1st among 97 qualified IDL)

Quinnen Williams has all but disappeared

I swear that some fans live on a different planet than I do.

We have some players who have done virtually nothing and they get lauded, praised, considered pieces to build around, etc.  Then we've got guys like QW who are in a rotational role (for whatever reason) and because his absolute/nominal stats aren't Top 5 people think he's worthless.  You peel back just one layer of the onion and understand his contribution per snap and he's borderline elite.

confused real life GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:47 AM, DonCorleone said:

It is probably because Saleh is trying to mold players to fit his "System" rather than a system who fits the player.

Brian Costello

NY Post

Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is one of the Jets’ top players. It is hard to debate that. But unlike some of his teammates, he plays fewer than two-thirds of the defensive snaps.

Why?
Williams has played 62 percent (346 snaps) of the Jets’ defensive plays this season. It would seem smart for that number to be at 80 or 90 percent, since Williams is an impactful player, but head coach Robert Saleh believes in a heavy rotation along the defensive line because of what he is asking in his scheme. Defensive linemen are asked to penetrate and get in the backfield on every down in Saleh’s system, unlike two-gap systems, in which linemen read and react more.

“The objective really for the entire D-line is to not have any of them play more than 40 snaps in a game. That’s the goal,” Saleh said before the Jets face the Bills on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. “The amount of strain we ask from play-to-play, if you are able to play 90 percent, to us, and everyone’s different, but the 3-4 teams can because they’re more gap controlled, stay on the line of scrimmage.

“We ask so much out of our D-line that if you can go four plays in a row or play 90 percent, then you’re probably BS’ing on the football field, in our mind and you’re not executing the technique as it’s designed.”

The Jets’ interior defensive line got roasted last week against the Colts, but has been one of the team’s strengths this season. Williams has gotten the most snaps at 62 percent, but he has remained around Saleh’s goal of 40 snaps a game for most of the year. He had 59 snaps against the Titans, but that was because of Derrick Henry and the focus on stopping the run in that game. He played 50 snaps against the Falcons and in the second Patriots game. In every other game he was right near 40 snaps or below.

The other defensive linemen have also been rotational. Folorunso Fatukasi has played 56 percent of the snaps. Sheldon Rankins is at 54 percent. Nathan Shepherd is at 35 percent.

“Quinnen is a phenomenal football player, but we also think Sheldon Rankins is a phenomenal football player,” Saleh said. “We love Foley (Folorunso Fatukasi), we love Shep (Nathan Shepherd), so there’s a really cool four-man rotation, really deep four-man rotation and on the interior. The objective is to keep those guys as fresh as possible, especially when you get to those two-minute situations at the end of half, at the end of game, so they can give you everything they got. Four straight shots and get off the field.”

this did not age well.

• Upvote 1

I'm the first to admit. I don't know anything...about how a defense can get 7 sacks and play the run effectively one week and other weeks look like they aren't playing ANY DTs or DEs, getting bulldozed inside and setting no edges outside, for hundreds of rushing yards. The Jets were last in both yards and points. It was embarrassing.

But I think I understand some of the issues:

• The DL is made to penetrate, not necessarily play like Dallas's Flex defense, which was very effective against the run. 
  • Getting their asses beat by better players
  • Not having any semblance of an offense, it's gotta wear you out.

That said, I was very disappointed with the entire defense, Quinnen Williams was No. 2 on my list of culprits next to JFM and Fatukasi and Shepard. I mean, you name a defensive player and I was disappointed.

It looks a little better so I'm off the ledge. Still very disappointed with the interior of the defense...

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I swear that some fans live on a different planet than I do.

We have some players who have done virtually nothing and they get lauded, praised, considered pieces to build around, etc.  Then we've got guys like QW who are in a rotational role (for whatever reason) and because his absolute/nominal stats aren't Top 5 people think he's worthless.  You peel back just one layer of the onion and understand his contribution per snap and he's borderline elite.

confused real life GIF

He’s a good player. I’d love to see him play with an above average edge rush. QW with limited double teams is what we want 

On 12/2/2021 at 8:53 AM, FootballLove said:

Saleh may be on to something saying he wants Q fresh for those power bursts in the final 2mins.....didn't Q just have a last second sack to put the game away?

But anywho....think about it like this: 40 snaps X 3 seconds per snap = 120 seconds per game, ears pinned back. That's 2 minutes of actual play time and 3 hrs minus 2 minutes of recovery time.

I'm telling my boss "look, I'm gonna CRUSH it for 2 minutes a day, then take the rest of the day off, cool?"

Jets down 45 - 10, with 2 minutes left, at least our line is fresh!

• Upvote 1