Quinnen Williams has all but disappeared

DonCorleone

13 hours ago, phill1c said:

I'm the first to admit. I don't know anything...about how a defense can get 7 sacks and play the run effectively one week and other weeks look like they aren't playing ANY DTs or DEs, getting bulldozed inside and setting no edges outside, for hundreds of rushing yards. The Jets were last in both yards and points. It was embarrassing.

But I think I understand some of the issues:

• The DL is made to penetrate, not necessarily play like Dallas's Flex defense, which was very effective against the run. 
  • Getting their asses beat by better players
  • Not having any semblance of an offense, it's gotta wear you out.

That said, I was very disappointed with the entire defense, Quinnen Williams was No. 2 on my list of culprits next to JFM and Fatukasi and Shepard. I mean, you name a defensive player and I was disappointed.

It looks a little better so I'm off the ledge. Still very disappointed with the interior of the defense...

Our D looked good against the crappy Texans.  

He’s a DT, period. They flash and disappear all the time, it’s the nature of the position. The difference in game impact of a top tier like Q is to an avg guy like JFM is nominal and the reason I strongly disagree with drafting DT so highly and even more so giving them a 2nd contract. To me the DT position is like RB, it’s just not worth investing heavily unless you have D Henry or A Donald respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He really doesn't play hard enough. There are plays where he shows

little effort chasing the ball or quits early on the pass rush.  this

is what make D linemen great their all out effort to make the play

until the whistle blows. I was hoping Saleh's All gas mantra would

penetrate.  He did seem to play harder against the Texans, hopefully

Robert got on his case

• Sympathy 1

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

this your thing today?

I was wondering why you'd ask this.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:36 AM, heymangold said:

remember when everyone got so upset that it was proposed trading QW for Watson?  the board nearly had a meltdown!  i'd still go back to trade this sack of potatoes for watson, even with the accusations levied against him.  

maybe it's time for the jets to stop drafting defensive linemen.  QW, Leo, Sheldon, Wilkerson - all high draft picks and are total losers.

then I read this and it all made sense.

• Haha 2

Just now, Warfish said:

Lets hope so.  Anytime a guy makes a huge improvement for us, it's a good thing.

I think we all write off the ability of younger players to develop sometimes. Some take longer than others - they're not all going to come out of the gate like this years draft class. I'm as guilty of it as anyone else - it's easy to look at the current production and come to the conclusion they'll never be anything more than that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we all write off the ability of younger players to develop sometimes. Some take longer than others - they're not all going to come out of the gate like this years draft class. I'm as guilty of it as anyone else - it's easy to look at the current production and come to the conclusion they'll never be anything more than that.

Perhaps.  But we've also been burned several times by hyped up guys who don't overly impress their first few years, turn it on fire in their first contract year, get their big payday, then never amount to anything after that.

I truly hope QW is a different kind of story.  Sadly, there really is no way to be sure till after the fact.  But it IS a concern in my book.  One good year is too small a sample for my preferences, but with QW it's likely all we'll have before having to pay him huge bucks (or let him go).

• Upvote 1

I think having his Bro come in and kick some ass has helped QW kick a lot more ass over the course of last year through to this season and we are seeing the results now tangibly.  I think he has started figuring it out and he's going to be that guy going forward.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was wondering why you'd ask this.

then I read this and it all made sense.

i'd still do it.  lets face it - i'd rather have mike white running the offense, probably still sitting at 5-3 with the hopes of watson coming back in a couple weeks then a DT.

also, that post was from a year ago.  i think if you did more poking around, you'd find a lot of people with similar thoughts.  QW hasn't been this good his entire career.  I'm not hiding from the fact I've disliked QW's performances - he's proven myself and a ton of other people wrong.  seems a bit fishy that it's in a contract year - probably end up signing him for big money and get burned, just like with Mo Wilk.

4 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Nice take Lombardi 

Handle: SuicidalSince98

H/W: 6'3, 161 lbs

Hobbies include: alienation, bad takes and wiffle ball

favorite food: Gourmet style corndogs

Catchphrase: Nice take Lombardi

trivia: only wears plaid 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Sadly I think this is probably the case

Once they pay him, don’t be surprised if his production and fitness drop asymptotically towards zero 

The problem is he isn't going into his contract year, he has 1.5 years left.  And even then, you can franchise him.  So if by 2024, you aren't sure he is the guy worthy of $20M a year, franchise him for a year and see where it goes.  He's only 24, he's not even in his prime yet, so there is plenty of time and space to go.  I think we as a fan base were hoping for this QW from day one, instead we saw a 7-10 best DT for 2-3 years around injuries.  Now he's playing like a top 2 DT and meeting our high expectations.  It is good to see, and I can understand the hesitancy on a long term deal, but he hasn't been as bad as others make him out to be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I'll save this gem for a rainy day. 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Be my guest.  As of the date of that post, it was spot on.

You will never see me run from my takes.  If they're dumb, I own them.  Just ask Patrick Ramsey, lol.

At the time, it wasn't dumb.  He's had a hell of a breakout so far this year, and he should be applauded for it.

But it doesn't undo the previous three seasons of mostly forgettable or workmanlike-at-best play.

Playing the "I told ya so" game with Q is lame....he was a solid player for 4 years and he's broken out....people were a bit disappointed considering where he was drafted and the history of drafting the position and now they aren't...... cool beans you got everyone. lol

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Handle: SuicidalSince98

H/W: 6'3, 161 lbs

Hobbies include: alienation, bad takes and wiffle ball

favorite food: Gourmet style corndogs

Catchphrase: Nice take Lombardi

trivia: only wears plaid 

SIGN THIS BEAST!!!

• Haha 2

Many dominant d-linemen break out in years 3 or 4… the big exception was Aaron Donald.

I think Q is on the right trajectory… and have never heard/seen any legitimate work ethic concerns.

Big 2nd contract always a risk, but all signs point to “pay that man.”

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, fullblast said:

The weird thing is that Quinnen was good last year and in 2020 as well. Maybe not All-Pro good but consider how awful the rest of the roster was.

This.

Individual players tend to play better themselves when they don't have to worry (a lot) about whether the guy next to them can hold up their responsibilities. Then they can focus on just what they have to do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Be my guest.  As of the date of that post, it was spot on.

You will never see me run from my takes.  If they're dumb, I own them.  Just ask Patrick Ramsey, lol.

At the time, it wasn't dumb.  He's had a hell of a breakout so far this year, and he should be applauded for it.

But it doesn't undo the previous three seasons of mostly forgettable or workmanlike-at-best play.

Wait, Patrick Ramsey is even aware of you?

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wait, Patrick Ramsey is even aware of you?

How do you know I'M not Patrick Ramsey?

Maybe I was just talking myself up, trying to get fans to like me after the tough run I had in D.C.

Maybe I'm still bitter I never got my shot behind that eggy noodle-arm....

• Haha 1