Eight Games Left ...

KRL

39 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

4-4 is a lofty lofty goal....

This team is destined for 2-15. The victories over the Titans and Bengals were the Jets two wins they get like last year over the Rams and Browns. Not another W on the schedule for the Jets with their paper tiger AGNB defense. They're not beating the Dolphins, or the Texans qb'd by Tyrod Taylor at Houston, nor are they beating the Jaguars who beat the Bills who just curb stomped the Jets. The rest of the schedule is guaranteed L's vs the Eagles, Saints, Bucs, and Bills. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This offense has functioned better without Corey Davis.  He’s a soft “big” receiver and has zero ability in contested catch situations.   Right now, the passing game goes through Davis when he is out there and it shouldn’t.   Moore needs a bigger role.   

This team desperately needs a WR who can win 50/50 balls and operate in traffic.  Mims needs to be given more of an opportunity in these situations as well as Cole.   Force feeding Davis is a losing game plan, he can’t carry a WR group.  

funny you say that - i remember when i voiced my opinions on the jets singing davis, i was told how great he was and his "contested catch" percentage was so good.  guess that doesn't matter anymore.

the offense should run through moore, mims and carter.  they're the players with the most raw talent there.  heck, i'm going to go all DWC and say lets throw yeboah out there for some more athleticism out of the TE spot.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, KRL said:

What we've seen so far and what needs to happen the rest of the season:

- Mike White lack of athletic ability got exposed yesterday.  BUF sped him
up yesterday with constant blitzes and he couldn't get away and took a lot
of big hits.  White's performance yesterday makes the decision to go back
to Zach Wilson easy.  In White's 3+ games as a starter I think at minimum he's
established himself as a long term backup/spot starter.  He's a pocket passer
with limited mobility and a decent arm who can move the chains.

- Corey Davis has been a disappointment.  There have been too many drops,
tips for INTs and strips for fumbles.  He needs to establish himself as
a reliable WR for Wilson over the final eight games.

- Zach Wilson has had 3 games to watch and learn from White about the 
"checkdown / move the chains" portion of this offense.  We have to see that
incorporated into Wilson's game, if we do we'll see a big jump in his performance
and can be excited going into year 2 of his career.

- Mekhi Becton needs to come back healthy so the chemistry between him and Alijah
Vera-Tucker can be established.  Because they are the only two who are assured
of starting spots on the OLine going into next year.

- The defense has been putrid and must bounce back to at least an average level
of performance.  As we all know the DLine drives this defense and it has been
particularly disappointing.  Quinnen Williams and Sheldon Rankins haven't dominated
the middle like we needed and John Franklin-Myers production has dropped since
signing his contract.

- Going forward I want to see:
  * At least a 4-4 record over the final eight games 
  * Mike LaFleur and Zach Wilson establish a smooth OC/QB chemistry
  * Wilson implement the "checkdown" game into his arsenal and look like the #2 pick
    consistently
  * Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff have the opportunity to replace Greg Van-Roten at RG and
    see if he's a long term answer

- As far as the draft is concerned thankfully we have four picks in the first two rounds.
Because we have serious needs at pass rusher, long term RT and a replacement for Marcus
Maye at safety.  I could easily see us taking two pass rushers within those first four
picks.  With Carl Lawson returning and two high draft picks maybe just maybe we would
have the consistent pressure we've been looking for since the Sack Exchange.

My 2 cents

I agree with a lot of this, 4-4 is going to be really difficult with the way the team has played, but theres opportunity, if guys can start to get healthy again, to rattle off a win or two in the next coming weeks. 

The defense has been disappointing for sure, mostly on the edges.  We knew coming in when lawson was lost that the pass rush would take a hit, but the run support on the edges has really struggled, in particular the second unit guys that are getting heavy rotational play.  JFM has done well against the run in his reps, but what we are seeing is a constant inability to set the edges of the defense in the run game which is limiting the effectiveness of the LB's and the 1/3 techs inside.  Yesterday we routinely saw ronald blair and others fly upfield and get down blocked by TE's and wings to create lanes in the run game, this is also making them extremely trappable for pulling guards and Fbs. When you cant set the edge, your backers cannot scrape downhill, instead they must fly laterally to make plays and while mosley has done pretty well moving this year, the other guys just arent fast enough to make these plays.  Quincy williams after being stellar in this regard early has been having a difficult time reading and taking proper angles on his plays, and the other depth at the LB level is poor to say the least.  Davis had a nice reintroduction early on but he's looked slower recently. 

The overall issue with this team is speed.  We have 0 that challenges either the offense or defense. when lawson and huff are back that helps a little, but this team needs an upgrade at end and at LB.  Gotta add some real speed at the LB position in the draft, and get another edge rusher to compliment lawson.  This allows you to move JFM inside for a little more speed.  obviously injuries are an issue, especially at safety, people forget we also had Joyner too who would have been helpful in filling the alley way on run fits, him and maye would have been a solidifying tandem, instead you have davis getting his feet wet and a revolving door of mish mosh. 

LDT should definitely push GVR for playing time soon, however i do not think he can be the long term solution, a real sizeable upgrade is needed this offseason

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

This offense has functioned better without Corey Davis.  He’s a soft “big” receiver and has zero ability in contested catch situations.   Right now, the passing game goes through Davis when he is out there and it shouldn’t.   Moore needs a bigger role.   

This team desperately needs a WR who can win 50/50 balls and operate in traffic.  Mims needs to be given more of an opportunity in these situations as well as Cole.   Force feeding Davis is a losing game plan, he can’t carry a WR group.  

davis was never going to be a one even though many thought he would be.  He is on this team because of the lack of elite talent, but in reality he's a really good over the middle WR and good on digs and comebacks.  Getting another guy to be a real player on the outside, with moore and davis will be a really good core.  Mims will get more opporutnities im sure, but WR is 100% in play in this draft/FA again. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Mike White lack of athletic ability got exposed yesterday.  BUF sped him

Mike White (In two full games and two brief appearances, one in relief of Wilson, one as starter hurt early):

1-2 record, 88-132 (66.7%), 953 yards, 5 TD, 8 INT. 

Zack Wilson (in most of six full games):

1-5 record, 104-181 (57.5%), 1,168 yards, 4 TD, 9 INT.

The only reason to go back to Wilson is because he was drafted #2 overall.

There is no on-field, earned-by-play reason Wilson should start again beyond perception of his potential.  Even with yesterday's poor performance by White (against the #1/#1 Defense), he's better than Wilson is right now.

Wilson, thus far, is the worst QB in the NFL in 2021.

I'd perhaps argue that Wilson sitting might be the best thing for his long term development and future.  If he has one.  I can only wonder what Wilson would have put up yesterday against those same Bills given what we've seen to-date.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

I don't care what record we finish with as long as we look competitive. When every win is an upset, that's pretty low. If we can at least look like an NFL team for all of the games, that is better than any amount of wins in a lost season

except maybe 8-0. That would be astonishing, but probably better than looking good with a 4-13 record

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Mike White (In two full games and two brief appearances, one in relief of Wilson, one as starter hurt early):

There is no on-field, earned-by-play reason Wilson should start again beyond perception of his potential.  Even with yesterday's poor performance by White (against the #1/#1 Defense), he's better than Wilson is right now.

I'd perhaps argue that Wilson sitting might be the best thing for his long term development and future.  If he has one.  I can only wonder what Wilson would have put up yesterday against those same Bills given what we've seen to-date.  

8 Ints in 9 quarters of play is a lot of turnovers.

I'm still good with Wilson sitting for a bit more, I think going from Utah to the NFL is pretty damn over whelming.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

4-4 seems lofty. 

We're basically non-competitive in most games and then occasionally have an "any given Sunday" performance against an opponent who sleepwalks on us.

I'm guessing we end up with a 4-13 final record and another top 5 pick.

I mean, we have Jags, Texans and Dolphins twice on our schedule. Dolphins might be hard as it seems the defense has finally sorted itself out, but the Texans are a bunch of bullcrap and the Jags have Urban Meyer. 4-4 is still a little lofty, but there is a bigger chance we go 4-4 with the next 8 games than if we played the first half opponents over again.

Just now, Hex said:

I mean, we have Jags, Texans and Dolphins twice on our schedule. Dolphins might be hard as it seems the defense has finally sorted itself out, but the Texans are a bunch of bullcrap and the Jags have Urban Meyer. 4-4 is still a little lofty, but there is a bigger chance we go 4-4 with the next 8 games than if we played the first half opponents over again.

I just think we're arguably the worst team in the entire NFL right now, so thinking we'll win half our games against anybody is lofty.

• Upvote 3

Granted 4-4 is lofty, but TEN is the #1 seed in the AFC and CIN was a first place team

that had just beaten BAL (both of our wins).  Let's put a minimum expectation (.500 over

8 games) on this team/staff and see some real growth.  Is that asking too much???  

21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

8 Ints in 9 quarters of play is a lot of turnovers.

Agreed.  How many were off the hands of WR's or poorly blocked D-Linemen?  

Not specific to White, but I still say there should be TWO INT stats, one for the QB, one for the Receiver.  

Pass hits you square in the hands and you drop it right into a Defenders hands?  That INT is credited to the WR.  Throw it right into a defenders chest, that INT is credited to the QB.  Most times I don't think it's hard to differentiate who the responsible party is.  And if you can't, go with the Sack rule, 1/2 INT to the QB, 1/2 to the Receiver, lol.

I'm still good with Wilson sitting for a bit more, I think going from Utah to the NFL is pretty damn over whelming.

Oh trust me, jibber jabber and fun debate aside, I know Zack will be playing sooner rather than later.  They're not going to make him sit (even if that might in fact be best for his career), and they're not going to play Mike "Pennington" White ahead of the #2 draft pick they all staked their careers on, lol.

I just think Wilson is cruising so far purely on hype and draft position, not quality of play on the field, because so far, he pretty much sucks when playing actual football on actual NFL fields, one part of the Titans game nonwithstanding (that, of course, being the Wilson equivalent of Darnolds streak of meaningless wins against horrible teams late in that long-already-lost year that everyone got all worked up about, lol).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

incorporated into Wilson's game, if we do we'll see a big jump in his performance

- Mekhi Becton needs to come back healthy so the chemistry between him and Alijah

particularly disappointing.  Quinnen Williams and Sheldon Rankins haven't dominated
signing his contract.

* Wilson implement the "checkdown" game into his arsenal and look like the #2 pick
    consistently
  * Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff have the opportunity to replace Greg Van-Roten at RG and

- As far as the draft is concerned thankfully we have four picks in the first two rounds.
Because we have serious needs at pass rusher, long term RT and a replacement for Marcus
Maye at safety.  I could easily see us taking two pass rushers within those first four
picks.  With Carl Lawson returning and two high draft picks maybe just maybe we would

My 2 cents

Only addition is if we want 3 of our top for picks on the lines fine either 2 pass rushers and a RT, or 1 pass rusher and if we need RG and RT, but one of those top 4 picks has to be a TE since we are so weak in that area especially catching it impacts this whole offense. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

signing his contract.

consistently

My 2 cents

some good points.  wilson is more mobile than white but that also makes him think he can't sty in the pocket.  the pocket is where the qb should be unless it's a designed play or things have really gone south.  but i still think white has earned the next start.  he started looking bad when he was trying to make some wilsoneque throws against the bills' disguised coverages.  i don't know if lafleur can develop a good chemistry with wilson.  it was a little strange that wilson went back to beck and now beck is a wilson coach.  as for their record, they should be able to win 4.  it won't be easy and they'll have to bring their A game but they need something to go into the off season with.  a lot of these guys just won't be around for next season.

Becton &  QW symbolize what our team has become two lazy over-rated

out of shape soft players. Instead of following that fat bald Putz's Douglas plan

of building the team in the line, taking that ultra soft, big baby Becton,

we should have taken CeDe Lamb or Jeudy. Then Wilson would have

a go to receiver and  we wouldn't be complaining about the poorly evaluated

over paid Davis

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Complete crap post. White had 1 good game which skews everything. He throws way more picks than Zach like 40% more. He is not mobile. He has a weak arm. There is literally NO reason other than Zach to not start again unless he is injured. It was a nice story and added some excitement but to say his performance was better than Zach's is really not a very strong one. Also, it is obvious and backed by statistics that the Jets passed more on first down. spread the field, and got away from 21 and 12 personnel, while with Zach they forced the run and put Zach in a position to fail. I am not saying Zach will be a FQB, though he has like 10x the possibility of being one than White, but to continue this narrative of him being not ready and the worst QB is just bullsh!t.  Zach was maybe the most hated player we have had before he ever took a snap I can ever remember and it continues to this day with no logic behind in whatsoever.

• Upvote 3

becton is totally soft - got hurt last year and our COY put him out on the field to save his own career and it got worse; then he gets rolled on by a 300lb player - i guess every player that gets rolled over or tears their ACL or achiles is soft?

I believe that Saleh said it wasn't the play calls it was the execution of the D - not saying they aren't going to change things - only saying that he isn't going to take over the play calling in D - maybe getting the back of his D-cord.

While I am not happy with the results, to be fair there are not a lot of good players on the team - it is hard to do player over scheme - it is trying to field a team without the players they need. I think he is trying to help out his young and inexperienced CBs.

The offense has potential - we saw that against Cincy and we saw a glimpse or two at Indy. Hopefully the coaching won't hold Zack back.

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Zach was maybe the most hated player we have had before he ever took a snap I can ever remember and it continues to this day with no logic behind in whatsoever.

No one hates Zach.

Many do doubt Zach.

Just because you can't (or won't) see why, doesn't make it illogical.  

.....this narrative of him being not ready and the worst QB is just bullsh!t.

What is his ranking right now amongst starting QB's in 2021?

34th in Completion Percentage.

33rd in Passing Yards

36th in Touchdowns

4th most INT's.

Worst INT % (next to White)

29th in Yards Per Attempt

34th in QB Rating

You tell me, which starting QB is worse in 2021 than Wilson?  The only one close seems to be Fields.

How do you define "worst starting QB"?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1