Jump to content

Rex Ryan's Take On Robert Saleh


SoFlaJets
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rex was one of our best HCs. say what you want about the team he coached, but Rex coached them up. 

now Rex as a GM was a different story. 

we all know Rex wants his job back. would it surprise anybody Woody got sick of these coaches and brought back Rex. he loved Rex. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Former Jets coach Rex Ryan is not a Robert Saleh fan. On ESPN NY's DiPietro and Rothenberg Show: "This guy is supposed to be a defensive guru. I take it personal on this one. Everything I heard was, this guy is a lot like myself, but without the bad part. Well, some of the bad part you need. This team doesn't play with any damn heart. Don't ever compare compare this guy, this Robert Saleh to me."

You mean how Rex showed up 100% unprepared to play the Steelers in the Playoffs?   How Rex was handed an elite O Line, so he could Ground and Pound?

Rex won with good players, and lost with bad players.  Crazy talk.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I said pretty consistently not for 6 years. Maybe it was also 5 or 6 here or there. Point is he never put anything on the field that resembles  this mess

It’s not true, the D wasn’t 3rd, 5th or 6th after the first couple of years.  He went to the Bills.  Had a D that was too 3, blamed the previous regime for being only to 3 then went out and coached them to bottom of the NFL after bragging that he would coach them to the top spot where the talent level should be. Rex is a braggart who thinks he’s better than every coach.  
Point is to anyone who watches both Rexs teams and this team and thinks the difference in talent doesn’t contribute is kidding themselves.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is not a comparison thread between who is/was a better head coach this is about the Johnson's once again hiring another never was before guy because no NFL-caliber ex-winning head coach will work for a cheap ass owner like woody Johnson so all he is able to do is hire the next Up-and -coming defensive coordinator on the list that the NFL provides.

Then as everyone decides that Joe Douglas needs to go and the next guy is hired saddled with the same never being allowed to-spend-enough to get of the top Free Agents, it'll be the same crap over and over and over again. 

This all comes down to WHY is it that the Jets can't have an experienced winning HC?

I seem to remember Mike McCarthy wanting to coach here but we hired Adam Gase instead.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s not true, the D wasn’t 3rd, 5th or 6th after the first couple of years.  He went to the Bills.  Had a D that was too 3, blame the previous regime for being only to 3 then went out and coached them to bottom of the NFL.  
Point is to anyone who watches both Rexs teams and this team and thinks the difference in talent doesn’t contribute is kidding themselves.

Rex Ryan has been in charge of a defense, either as coordinator or head coach/playcaller, in every NFL season since 2005. His defenses have finished in the top-10 in yards allowed 9 times in those 12 NFL seasons. They’ve finished in the top-10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top-10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well. His defenses have finished in the top-10 in points allowed 5 times.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Rex Ryan has been in charge of a defense, either as coordinator or head coach/playcaller, in every NFL season since 2005. His defenses have finished in the top-10 in yards allowed 9 times in those 12 NFL seasons. They’ve finished in the top-10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top-10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well. His defenses have finished in the top-10 in points allowed 5 times.

What has any of this have to do with the idea that the Ravens and the first couple of seasons with the Jet’s is in any way comparable to this team of kids which is the point
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No it wasn’t consistently in the top 3.  And it sure helps to have Revis, Leonhard, Bart Scott, Harris, etc, etc. 

Funny after his defense struggled the take here was the league figured his blitz’s out.  Now he’s a genius who had a top 3 defense for 6 years.  

Rex is a decent coach but became a buffoon

Id like to add , what was his excuse in Buffalo?

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There’s nothing comparable between the Red teams he was coaching and the kids Saleh is coaching.  This is all about Rex promoting Rex.  

Our front seven isn't a bunch of kids. They are the ones responsible for shutting down a teams running game. Have they. They are horrible. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What has any of this have to do with the idea that the Ravens and the first couple of seasons with the Jet’s is in any way comparable to this team of kids which is the point
 

I'm actually  not arguing that. I am showing you that Rex oversaw top defenses while he was the Jets HC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s not true, the D wasn’t 3rd, 5th or 6th after the first couple of years.  He went to the Bills.  Had a D that was too 3, blame the previous regime for being only to 3 then went out and coached them to bottom of the NFL.  
Point is to anyone who watches both Rexs teams and this team and thinks the difference in talent doesn’t contribute is kidding themselves.

I guess the question then is how big is the gulf in talent between the two teams and does it explain the difference between the Ryan defenses and one of the worst defenses in NFL history?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Rex is a decent coach but became a buffoon

Id like to add , what was his excuse in Buffalo?

Rex took over a DC Greg Williams Bills 4- 3 team. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2014.htm

Rex is a 3 - 4 guy and tried converting the same 4 - 3 personnel over to a 3 - 4. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2015.htm

Transitioning to a totally new schemes hardly ever goes smooth. So, when the 2014 4th ranked Bills defense turned into the 2015 Bills 15th ranked defense under Rex, that did not exactly line up with what Rex had promised. IIRC, Buffalo put on a primer Super Bowl parade when Rex got to town.

Rex is guilty of making grandiose promises, but he never got 2 full seasons as the Buffalo HC. Thats BS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Something is up, if you listen to Saleh press conference after the game he sounds SAD AND DEFEATED ALREADY 

I do agree.

 

Just look at Saleh on the sidelines, something's going on.  They were down 10-0, moving the ball - still in the game...but if you looked Saleh on the sideline he already looked defeated.  Was very strange.

I'm not giving up on the guy and think he was dealt a bad hand here - but it does feel like something external is happening.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Lol...

Rex Ryan took a team to two straight championship games with a roster of vets he largely inherited, riding on the back of one of the greatest CBs in the history of the game.  It didn't take any defensive genius to tell Revis to go cover the best player on the other side of the ball. 

After that he was an utter failure as a head coach. 

I wonder how he would have done with this roster of rookies and castoffs. 

Better than Saleh on the defensive side. Thats for damn sure. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 6th.  Those were the defense rankings for the Jets under Rex. 

This year we are last.  

That defense with the players Rex inherited in 2008 was 16th.  

So say what you want about Rex's overall coaching style but his defenses always came ready to play.  

Embarrassing we are last in the league even though we are young, we have good enough talent up front to not be as bad as we are.  

Not only last in the league but one of the worst defenses of all time. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

Undisciplined, giving the finger to the public, etc

in fact, Corn on the Cob Rob is more Toilet Bowles than Rex Ryan

Sometimes the public needs the finger. At least Rex didnt take any crap.

Rex was the master at stirring up trouble and flipping the script tp where he was the injured party.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is not a comparison thread between who is/was a better head coach this is about the Johnson's once again hiring another never was before guy because no NFL-caliber ex-winning head coach will work for a cheap ass owner like woody Johnson so all he is able to do is hire the next Up-and -coming defensive coordinator on the list that the NFL provides.

Then as everyone decides that Joe Douglas needs to go and the next guy is hired saddled with the same never being allowed to-spend-enough to get of the top Free Agents, it'll be the same crap over and over and over again. 

This all comes down to WHY is it that the Jets can't have an experienced winning HC?

Ok then who was available? Doug Peterson seemed to be the only possibility but somehow, someway, Peterson did not land anywhere else. McCarthy? Seemed to wear out his welcome in Green Bay and has had more downs than ups as Dallas' HC. 

Robert Saleh did not become the leading rookie HC prospect during the past off season for no reason. Almost universally the Jets were applauded for the hiring. Everyone was wrong? Everyone? As Frankie from Flatbush so eloquently said on Green Bean's "Into the Thick of It" podcast, "Its not called growing pleasures, it's called growing pains" and I think we have too many rookies up and down this team on the staff and players (and GM) to expect many "pleasures" without "pain". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

1st, 3rd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 6th.  Those were the defense rankings for the Jets under Rex. 

This year we are last.  

That defense with the players Rex inherited in 2008 was 16th.  

So say what you want about Rex's overall coaching style but his defenses always came ready to play.  

Embarrassing we are last in the league even though we are young, we have good enough talent up front to not be as bad as we are.  

Rex is to blame for talking Sanchez up like Elway. He also may have had a part in picking Sanchez in the first place.

Rex is guilty of letting the Jets get too amped up. After beating Brady and NE in the post season, you could see the Jets defense was kind of out of gas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Ok then who was available? Doug Peterson seemed to be the only possibility but somehow, someway, Peterson did not land anywhere else. McCarthy? Seemed to wear out his welcome in Green Bay and has had more downs than ups as Dallas' HC. 

Robert Saleh did not become the leading rookie HC prospect during the past off season for no reason. Almost universally the Jets were applauded for the hiring. Everyone was wrong? Everyone? As Frankie from Flatbush so eloquently said on Green Bean's "Into the Thick of It" podcast, "Its not called growing pleasures, it's called growing pains" and I think we have too many rookies up and down this team on the staff and players (and GM) to expect many "pleasures" without "pain". 

It's not my job to come up with names, it's not yours either, it's the people who are making 100 times the amount of money that I make in a year to decide who should be an NFL head coach and who shouldn't. All I DO know is that Robert Saleh isn't an NFL-caliber Head coach nor are the Johnson NFL-caliber owners. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

Former Jets coach Rex Ryan is not a Robert Saleh fan. On ESPN NY's DiPietro and Rothenberg Show: "This guy is supposed to be a defensive guru. I take it personal on this one. Everything I heard was, this guy is a lot like myself, but without the bad part. Well, some of the bad part you need. This team doesn't play with any damn heart. Don't ever compare compare this guy, this Robert Saleh to me."

I love Rex, BUT...

What kind of bluster and histrionics did/do we see from:

Belechick, Landry, Walsh, Andy Reed, Dungy and many others...

The Jets don't have a systemic X's and O's problem or a problem with the style of the HC.

Their GM has not been successful in accumulating talent.

And NO, it is not too soon to say so,  That is total nonsense.  JD has nothing to hang his hat on.  He's a failure as a GM.

And that means even though I like Saleh, he's going to be out too when the fool owners are forced to see how bad JD is and let him go.

The new GM will want his own people...

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I love Rex, BUT...

What kind of bluster and histrionics did/do we see from:

Belechick, Landry, Walsh, Andy Reed, Dungy and many others...

The Jets don't have a systemic X's and O's problem or a problem with the style of the HC.

Their GM has not been successful in accumulating talent.

And NO, it is not too soon to say so,  That is total nonsense.  JD has nothing to hang his hat on.  He's a failure as a GM.

And that means even though I like Saleh, he's going to be out too when the fool owners are forced to see how bad JD is and let him go.

The new GM will want his own people...

 

Yea but Baron, how is it that no matter who gets signed as the GM, the same stories always seem to emerge about the new GM who is "afraid to spend money on good players". When will people finally realize that it's not any of the GM's decision on whether to cut a check for a top tiered FA, those checks aren't signed by Joe Douglas, they have the Johnsons and Johnson logo on them, that's who say yes or no. The only player that the Jets really went after and got was Brett Favre.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

It's not my job to come up with names, it's not yours either, it's the people who are making 100 times the amount of money that I make in a year to decide who should be an NFL head coach and who shouldn't. All I DO know is that Robert Saleh isn't an NFL-caliber Head coach nor are the Johnson NFL-caliber owners. 

Not sure how anyone can be this confident in their stance  with all of the circumstances mentioned (rookie QB, starting players, HC, OC, 2nd year DC, ect)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Yea but Baron, how is it that no matter who gets signed as the GM, the same stories always seem to emerge about the new GM who is "afraid to spend money on good players". When will people finally realize that it's not any of the GM's decision on whether to cut a check for a top tiered FA, those checks aren't signed by Joe Douglas, they have the Johnsons and Johnson logo on them, that's who say yes or no. The only player that the Jets really went after and got was Brett Favre.

I'm on board with that 100 %.  If you follow my posts you know that I have been saying since my very first post here that the real problem is ownership.

Same owner = Same Results

We can blame the GM, but we MUST blame the owner for the GM 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Not sure how anyone can be this confident in their stance  with all of the circumstances mentioned (rookie QB, starting players, HC, OC, 2nd year DC, ect)

Very easily, over the past 4 games, have they done anything that is showing improvement? have you seen a defense that has shown itself to be able to stop ANYONE unless a guy drops a pass, or a flag is thrown? I haven't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...