Rex Ryan's Take On Robert Saleh

SoFlaJets

6 hours ago, Copernicus said:

McCarthy? Seemed to wear out his welcome in Green Bay and has had more downs than ups as Dallas' HC. 

What? McCarthy had his QB1's ankle explode last year in week 5(they still went 6-10) and they're 7-2 this year and dancing to the playoffs.

For some odd reason, the brothers Johnson thought Adam Gase would be a better fit.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

What? McCarthy had his QB1's ankle explode last year in week 5(they still went 6-10) and they're 7-2 this year and dancing to the playoffs.

For some odd reason, the brothers Johnson thought Adam Gase would be a better fit.

He had Andy Dalton and they were in what may have been the weakest division in history.

They were insistent upon Gregg Williams.  I have no idea why, but I'm pretty sure that was how they ended up with Gase.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

He had Andy Dalton and they were in what may have been the weakest division in history.

They were insistent upon Gregg Williams.  I have no idea why, but I'm pretty sure that was how they ended up with Gase.  

McCarthy wanted $8 mil per and Manish spent every column smearing the sh*t out of him. The Johnsons were never going for it

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, kmnj said:

you should have stopped at the bolded

Rex ran an elite d for the ravens and ran and elite d here with the jets and was the best coach we had besides parcells

I am pretty confident if Rex ran our D the past few years it would have been much more competitive

Rex is right he should not be compared to our trash coach yet

Saleh had 1 good year with the 49ers.

His most recent defense (before JD hired him) was shredded by the Bills and Chiefs and beaten by the Ravens.

JD saw that and said: “You’re the guy to beat the top 3 AFC teams”

Change takes time. Rex isnt a 4 - 3 coach.
His success with the Ravens was with the  3 - 4 and the Jets went to consecutive AFC Championships in the 3 - 4. The 15th ranked defense does not suck. Its still better than 17 other teams.
Rex is right. 

So you are giving Rex a pass for taking something not broken the Bill’s defense ranked 3rd or 4th into the 15th rank D because he can only coach a 3-4 but Saleh takes heat for taking a broken 26th ranked defense in to the 32nd ranked doing the switch to his style?

I am not sold on Saleh by any means but Rex just does what he does and talks. He’d be a HC somewhere if he could be successful but the league figured him out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Considering how bad it’s gotten- is it fair to ask what the hell Saleh was thinking buying a 3 million dollar house to renovate in the middle of a pandemic/supply chain disaster? And he has 7 kids? It’s year one buddy get settled and get the team playing hard before you audition for million dollar listing. Good grief.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Then blamed Sanchez for his failures. Can’t make it up.

Not that anyone needs to hear more Rex interviews, but listen to his interview on Pardon My Take. He sounded like he was hammered and it was 20 straight minutes of boasting and finger-pointing. If you were an owner or a GM looking to hire a high-profile coach and you heard any 30-second cut from that one interview, you’d run in the opposite direction.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Considering how bad it’s gotten- is it fair to ask what the hell Saleh was thinking buying a 3 million dollar house to renovate in the middle of a pandemic/supply chain disaster? And he has 7 kids? It’s year one buddy get settled and get the team playing hard before you audition for million dollar listing. Good grief.

I think Saleh thinks he has a redshirt year and his only mission right now is to run out the clock on this season.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Saleh thinks he has a redshirt year and his only mission right now is to run out the clock on this season.

He thought he had a free pass from a w/l standpoint as he implemented systems and culture.  He treated this year as if he just took the job at Iowa state.  And that would actually be fine, if the games were fairly close, and if the team didn’t come out flat as a pancake each week.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

rex sure wants to be the HC of the NY jets again lol

Id take him back in a nanosecond. Best coach the Jets had since Tuna and it was always fun.  Rex not even the coach now and we getting more entertainment from his commentary than we ever did from Boles, Gase and Saleh's combined tenure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If Rex is hired back, the stadium will be packed and the airwaves will be plentiful with Jets fun and games. 

Woody deep down loved Rex.  If you paired him with a real GM he would be a lot better.  

Look at the good cold weather teams.  Many of them play the 3-4 defense.  

NE, Pittsburgh, Ravens, GB.  It requires good coaching and scheme fit players.   If you want to draft athletes, you play the 4-3.  

• Post of the Week 1

i doubt rex will ever get the jets gig again but it is fun to think about. at least it was enertaining. saleh sucks but he will be back. no way he only gets one year with the youngest roster in the league. i have no faith in him after this year tho.  if he does somehow someway get canned call doug pedersen. worked with jd and is a proven winner. if not f it lets go get rex back lol

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Woody deep down loved Rex.  If you paired him with a real GM he would be a lot better.  

Look at the good cold weather teams.  Many of them play the 3-4 defense.  

NE, Pittsburgh, Ravens, GB.  It requires good coaching and scheme fit players.   If you want to draft athletes, you play the 4-3.  

Agree fully.  Rex needs a strong and qualified GM behind him or he will make a mess of his own roster.  That being a given, Rex is a great HC with the Xs and Os and teaching the players and motivating the players and having a lot of fun in general along the way

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Yes that’s is what Jet fans are worried about right now. Not that Saleh is lifeless and completely stinks as a coach, but that he is renovating his house. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

If Rex is hired back, the stadium will be packed and the airwaves will be plentiful with Jets fun and games. 

Until the fans remember (probably through the product on Sundays) that Rex Ryan is an absolute fraud of head coach, who is more bark than bite, and believes that the NFL is stuck in the 1950s.

Oh, and then the locker room will absolutely explode.

• Thumb Down 1

all this back and forth with Rex and Saleh the thing nobody sees in that Saleh is on his way to being the HC of the WORST DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY!!!!!! 

thats it....mike drop...end of story.. Rex is way better...

and its not that the team is young. Bart Scott and the boys say it every week on the post game how they dont change up this defense. playing cover 0 on that Diggs TD is horrible. Saleh says he doesnt change things up. Bart said they should have went to cover 2 and one of the guys said maybe the players dont know cover 2. Bart exploded with laughter. cover 2 is the first thing every defensive player learns back in High School. how can they forget. 

i like Saleh and hopes he gets 2 years at least. but i dont think he survives if we keep giving up 40-50 pts a week.

10 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

This is not a comparison thread between who is/was a better head coach this is about the Johnson's once again hiring another never was before guy because no NFL-caliber ex-winning head coach will work for a cheap ass owner like woody Johnson so all he is able to do is hire the next Up-and -coming defensive coordinator on the list that the NFL provides.

Then as everyone decides that Joe Douglas needs to go and the next guy is hired saddled with the same never being allowed to-spend-enough to get of the top Free Agents, it'll be the same crap over and over and over again. 

This all comes down to WHY is it that the Jets can't have an experienced winning HC?

Because the NFL is weird about hiring HCs. The experienced head coaches are usually only available because they got fired elsewhere. 95 percent of new HC hires in the NFL are rookie head coaches. 

3 hours ago, Facts said:

Saleh had 1 good year with the 49ers.

His most recent defense (before JD hired him) was shredded by the Bills and Chiefs and beaten by the Ravens.

JD saw that and said: “You’re the guy to beat the top 3 AFC teams”

They didn’t hire Saleh for his defensive mind. He was hired because he portrayed the skills needed to be the “CEO” Head Coach. 

8 minutes ago, GloryDays1985 said:

They didn’t hire Saleh for his defensive mind. He was hired because he portrayed the skills needed to be the “CEO” Head Coach. 

true but the defense is dying. someone cut its artery. its bleeding to death and the guy whos job it is to fix it cant handle it. Saleh needs to jump in and save this defense. he cant just sit there and do nothing. if it dies it could take him with it.

Sexy Rexy is exactly where he should be: on TV entertaining people where he doesn't have to prove up anything he says. 

2009-2010 were a blast but there's no reason to slide on rose-tinted lenses to think about those years. The drafts and FA were terrible the entire time. We had two good years followed by several mediocre years. Sure 8-8 is better than what we've had in years but who thinks 8-8 or 6-10 missing the playoffs is of any real value? Those two or three extra meaningless wins making your fandom worth it?

25 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Sexy Rexy is exactly where he should be: on TV entertaining people where he doesn't have to prove up anything he says. 

2009-2010 were a blast but there's no reason to slide on rose-tinted lenses to think about those years. The drafts and FA were terrible the entire time. We had two good years followed by several mediocre years. Sure 8-8 is better than what we've had in years but who thinks 8-8 or 6-10 missing the playoffs is of any real value? Those two or three extra meaningless wins making your fandom worth it?

Two or three EXTRA???

We won two last season. Two so far this year and get blown out regularly.
Yes, please. I’ll take a few more wins. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh’s got some enemies, man. Coaches don’t pile on each other like this. The way other teams feel free to run up the score on the Jets, and these weekly comments from the talking heads really makes you wonder if anyone respects Saleh at all. My guess is he pissed a lot of coordinators off by filling out his staff with his underqualified buddies.

Yup. Up 40+ With a couple Minutes left and all their starters in, big message sent.