Rex Ryan's Take On Robert Saleh

SoFlaJets

22 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Former Jets coach Rex Ryan is not a Robert Saleh fan. On ESPN NY's DiPietro and Rothenberg Show: "This guy is supposed to be a defensive guru. I take it personal on this one. Everything I heard was, this guy is a lot like myself, but without the bad part. Well, some of the bad part you need. This team doesn't play with any damn heart. Don't ever compare compare this guy, this Robert Saleh to me."

image.jpeg.c44b50e5cf617cacb96689b257e70254.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2021 at 10:32 AM, SoFlaJets said:

I never saw a team go for it on 4th down down up over 30 points before it happened a few weeks ago. And I've watched a lot of football games in this half century 

Interesting.  This is the first time I'm considering this.  And the officials didn't do a thing when Wilson was targeted twice in the Patriots game and the officials told Selah, FU ! when he wanted a challenge last week.  Hmmm.  Could he be disliked by many insiders for reasons unknown ???

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Interesting.  This is the first time I'm considering this.  And the officials didn't do a thing when Wilson was targeted twice in the Patriots game and the officials told Selah, FU ! when he wanted a challenge last week.  Hmmm.  Could he be disliked by many insiders for reasons unknown ???

I believe because it was a turnover on downs the play was reviewed w/o needing a challenge. When they came back from commercial they said the ruling had been confirmed at which point Saleh then tried to challenge and obviously couldn't .

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I believe because it was a turnover on downs the play was reviewed w/o needing a challenge. When they came back from commercial they said the ruling had been confirmed at which point Saleh then tried to challenge and obviously couldn't .

I dig.  Thanx for clearing that up for me.  Makes sense. 

5 hours ago, DLJ said:

Rex is a ******* clown. Saleh has sh*t to work with. The roster is garbage

In retrospect Saleh as a DC is something of a cheerleader.  He needs good players. BB, Flores, Bowles and even Rex could scheme and coach a defense.  Saleh needs good players.   Without Lawson, Curry and others Saleh was toast.  Even the backups he had on the 49ers were better.   Saleh needs at least another year of talent injected, if this is the route the Jets stick too. 

On the other hand, Lafleur is running a scheme.  It is looking better. 

5 hours ago, DLJ said:

Rex is a ******* clown. Saleh has sh*t to work with. The roster is garbage

The roster is better than 12 months ago and is performing worse now that it was then. 

This is what people are missing. By any measure the unit has regressed under Saleh. Rex obviously had better talent but he didn’t cause the Jets to regress and underperform like this. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The roster is better than 12 months ago and is performing worse now that it was then. 

This is what people are missing. By any measure the unit has regressed under Saleh. Rex obviously had better talent but he didn’t cause the Jets to regress and underperform like this. 

The roster is better with all the injuries this year? Really? How is that?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, BP said:

The roster is better with all the injuries this year? Really? How is that?

We had injuries last year too - Missed Q for a few, Bryce Hall only played 8 games, Brian Poole got hurt. The only significant guy missing from last year's roster is Maye and the Pats, Bengals and Colts were still doing whatever they wanted to us with him on the field. 

The front 7 is pretty much the same with the addition of Mosley, Rankins and Davis. 

Our best linebacker and leading tackler last year was Neville Hewitt, a career backup who's currently struggling to see the field for the worst team in the AFC. Jordan Jenkins is also struggling to play for the same defence. It's ranked 30th in the league, so better than ours but still garbage.

Do you think Blessuan Austin and Henry Anderson were carrying last year's unit or something?

This year we have more talent. And worse results. It's inexcusable. 

On 11/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, THE BARON said:

The staff I want is Rex as HC and Tangini as the GM.  Magini to pick the players and Tanny to work the cap and contracts.  

I don't want Rex back but I'd take Mangini back in some capacity.  HC?  GM?  President?  Advisor?  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

How have they “regressed?” If the jets don’t win another game this season (not a statistically likely scenario), they will have equaled last season’s win total. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The defence I was talking about. I mean to specify that.

In that case, I have to question whether this defensive roster, given all of the current injuries, is more talented than it was a year ago today. I’d personally say “no”

I think a healthy Lawson could have been a real difference maker for us. This team is giving major minutes to kids all over the defense, including several who were late round draft picks. Most of us were worried about this defense over the summer, BEFORE the killer injuries. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

In that case, I have to question whether this defensive roster, given all of the current injuries, is more talented than it was a year ago today. I’d personally say “no”

I think a healthy Lawson could have been a real difference maker for us. This team is giving major minutes to kids all over the defense, including several who were late round draft picks. Most of us were worried about this defense over the summer, BEFORE the killer injuries. 

Lawson wasn’t here last year. It is absolutely delusional to think one player could elevate a group this bad. The Colts were averaging 10 yards before contact on the ground. The worst game stretch in NFL history. That’s incompetence beyond the ability of one player. 

Who is missing from last year who made that unit any better? Maye is out now but he played through most of the defensive disaster classes in the last three weeks.

They’ve added Mosley and Rankins who have looked the worst they ever have under this staff. Can you honestly say the same players from that front 7 are performing to the level they were a year ago? 

The injuries are just the most pathetic excuse yet. Look around the league. Every single team is dealing with the same, often dealing with much worse.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Lawson wasn’t here last year. It is absolutely delusional to think one player could elevate a group this bad. The Colts were averaging 10 yards before contact on the ground. The worst game stretch in NFL history. That’s incompetence beyond the ability of one player. 

Who is missing from last year who made that unit any better? Maye is out now but he played through most of the defensive disaster classes in the last three weeks.

They’ve added Mosley and Rankins who have looked the worst they ever have under this staff. Can you honestly say the same players from that front 7 are performing to the level they were a year ago? 

The injuries are just the most pathetic excuse yet. Look around the league. Every single team is dealing with the same, often dealing with much worse.

The defense has been awful, but Lawson was a big loss. This defense looks a lot different with a legit edge rusher and its starting safeties 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It is also the youngest team in the nfl. 

• Upvote 1

The defense has been awful, but Lawson was a big loss. This defense looks a lot different with a legit edge rusher and its starting safeties 

Legit edge rusher just like Corey Davis is a legit #1 WR. Teams don’t let legit pass rushers hit FA without a fight, certainly not at Lawson’s age. Lawson would have been another defensive whipping boy by people with absurd expectations for a 2nd tier pass rusher. Honestly Joe Douglas caught a break when Lawson got hurt because he doesn’t have to answer to his inevitable underperformance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

How is it better with a bunch of rookies starting in key spots. No secondary and our key DE on IR?

35 minutes ago, DLJ said:

How is it better with a bunch of rookies starting in key spots. No secondary and our key DE on IR?

If only there was a team official who was responsible for insuring both quality and depth of the roster. What do you think we should call such a position? Let's not squander this momentum. We may be onto something here.

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Legit edge rusher just like Corey Davis is a legit #1 WR. Teams don’t let legit pass rushers hit FA without a fight, certainly not at Lawson’s age. Lawson would have been another defensive whipping boy by people with absurd expectations for a 2nd tier pass rusher. Honestly Joe Douglas caught a break when Lawson got hurt because he doesn’t have to answer to his inevitable underperformance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle here. 

at the very worst, having Lawson might mean that QW is double teamed less. I’d still have loved to see him on the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle here. 

at the very worst, having Lawson might mean that QW is double teamed less. I’d still have loved to see him on the field. 

You pay anyone $45M you want to see them on the field. Guy is a good player. Just not who many psyched themselves up for IMHO.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

You pay anyone $45M you want to see them on the field. Guy is a good player. Just not who many psyched themselves up for IMHO.

Yea probably not. 

it’s just frustrating because the three guys on the team I didn’t want to get hurt this year were Wilson, Becton, and Lawson.

Lawson and Becton have played less than one regular season game combined and Wilson will end up missing 5 games. You just can’t make it up. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yea probably not. 

it’s just frustrating because the three guys on the team I didn’t want to get hurt this year were Wilson, Becton, and Lawson.

Lawson and Becton have played less than one regular season game combined and Wilson will end up missing 5 games. You just can’t make it up. 

What a bloody shame that our splash FA signing, most (only?) promising rookie from 2020 and new QB of the future have all hit this point. The universe isn't just happy to make us suffer, it wants to rob our hope, too.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, Anthony Jet said:

Apology coming?

Watching pegame ESPN, Rex said they had a long conversation, there was an apology and now he believes 100% the direction of the franchise and in Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson.  Basically, he's all in and everything is great!!!!!!!!!

I was surprised last week during the Jets telecast Jay Feely said how much he liked playing for Rex that things were unexpected and that made it a lot of fun. On the other hand Rex has trashed ex players like Geno Smith etc. just my opinion based on the years Rex was here I don’t usually watch him on ESPN so I don’t know most of the things he is saying I just think he likes to shoot his mouth off and make controversy. I always thought he was a no class guy and still think this way. On the other hand Saleh is a class guy. I’m not happy with the Jets defense but as Rex knows things can go south with a team fast bad streaks happen teams get blown out and look terrible and it’s too soon to fully judge a new coach in his first year. 

On 11/19/2021 at 8:28 PM, Anthony Jet said:

Apology coming?

Rex just did a 180 on ESPN.  He said he spoke to Saleh, apologized and was blown away by Saleh, his vision and plan for the team, his smarts etc and that the Jets got it right.  Its a build for the long term, be patient

Who saw that coming?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1