Big Fat Rex got blown out a lot his last 4 years...look it up

WowOhWow

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay, so you are putting it on Ubrich?  You are going to scapegoat him?  Fair enough that they are green at S and CB, but they picked those guys.  More importantly, that does not explain how/why the run D is so far beyond pathetic.

I’ve been pretty consistent.  The roster is a combination of ridiculously young and has lots of holes in it.  They didn’t pick most of those playing S and CB.  Or the LBs for that matter who can’t fill holes and help tackle runners outside of Mosley 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is very true. 

The other thing about Rex is: He has a lot to say about the Jets, but never talks much about the Bills - I wonder if that's because that organization took off the minute he left? LOL

Saleh may be a terrible coach, but Rex needs to STFU, regardless. 

As an ex-coach, you'd be right.  Thing is, the guy is media now, such as it is.  Having us yap about his stupid opinions is the best he could hope.  Saying he needs to STFU is like saying Kim Kardashian needs to stop posting on social media.  We might be better off, but their whole career is dependent on it.

13 hours ago, Greg555 said:

And I remember ..Rex’s vaunted defense…that he took so much pride in…couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down.

His last 5 or 6 years as head coach…of the Jets/Bills…were total disasters.  And his advertised “ground and pound” offense may have worked well in the 60’s (as it did for the Packers) …but not in the modern era.

I actually disagree about the ground and pound stuff. I actually think one of the biggest mistakes Rex made here was putting more on Sanchez's plate in 2011. They wanted to believe Mark could be that guy, but he just wasn't that good at passing. They should have stayed run first in 2011 and not brought in guys like Mason and Burress. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I actually disagree about the ground and pound stuff. I actually think one of the biggest mistakes Rex made here was putting more on Sanchez's plate in 2011. They wanted to believe Mark could be that guy, but he just wasn't that good at passing. They should have stayed run first in 2011 and not brought in guys like Mason and Burress. 

and let Cotch walk, didn't sign Braylon and paid that POS Santonio.  Not sure REX was involved in that. BUT with a big TE on the board (Gronk) who could have helped Mark, we drafted a small safety from basically a D1A school.  NO thought about offense for REX.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

and let Cotch walk, didn't sign Braylon and paid that POS Santonio.  Not sure REX was involved in that. BUT with a big TE on the board (Gronk) who could have helped Mark, we drafted a small safety from basically a D1A school.  NO thought about offense for REX.

Yeah, but that safety was gonna be the next Jack Tatum /Rex goofah!!

• Haha 1

Jets' historically bad defense knows something needs to change

Sheldon Rankins: 'Every man should be embarrassed, every man should be angry'

Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets always knew they’d struggle on offense this season, but back in the summer, they didn’t seem to have many doubts about their defense. Even with all the injuries, even with their dangerously young secondary, they were sure they were good enough to at least keep most games close.

And for a few weeks they did. For a few weeks, they were competent.

Right now, they’re just historically bad.

“Our system prides itself on being able to get better as the year goes on,” Robert Saleh said on Sunday after yet another defensive disaster. “Clearly, it’s not happening.”

No, it’s not. That was clear with the way they were shredded by the Buffalo Bills in a 45-17 loss. The Bills had 489 total yards, marking the fourth time in five games the Jets have given up at least 450. It was also the third time in four games they’ve given up at least 45 points – something no team has done, according to ESPN Stats & Info, since the Giants way back in 1966.

The 175 points they’ve surrendered in the past four games is the second-most allowed by any team since the AFL and NFL merged back in 1970. The 1,890 yards they’ve given up during this stretch is the most in franchise history. The 417.1 yards per game they’re giving up is the worst in the NFL by more than 30 yards. And the 32.8 points per game they’re surrendering is more than a field goal worse than anyone else, too.

But what’s really stunning has been the turnaround, which occurred at the bye week. In the first five games of the season, the Jets were giving up 24.2 points and 372.8 yards per game. In the four games since their week-long break, they’ve surrendered an average of 43.75 points and 472.5 yards.

How in the world does a defense suddenly start giving up 20 more points and 100 more yards per game?

The truth is, the Jets don’t seem to know

0 seconds of 2 minutes, 47 secondsVolum

“Our job is to go out there and stop people and we haven’t done it over the last few outings,” said defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins. “So, for us, yeah we’re embarrassed because it’s not our standard. Every man should be embarrassed, every man should be angry.”

They are, but the problem is they have been for a month – ever since they came out of the bye week and gave up 551 yards to the Patriots in New England for their worst defensive effort since 1986. They felt “embarrassment” and “anger” that day, according to defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, who was one of several who vowed “it won’t happen again.”

Then two weeks later, they gave up 532 yards and 45 points in Indianapolis. And 10 days after that, they were barely a speed bump for the Bills. 

Against the Bills, Saleh actually said they had coverages designed to help take receiver Stefon Diggs out of the game. Diggs finished with eight catches for 162 yards and a touchdown, taking advantage of what too often looked like single coverage. Bills quarterback Josh Allen was rarely pressured and threw for 366 yards.

After the game, Jets defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi apparently delivered a fiery speech to his teammates. That’s great. Except he did something similar the day after the Patriots game, too. At this point, everyone’s words are meaningless because no matter what they say, the Jets' defense just looks lost.

“Clearly, it’s not good enough,” Saleh said. “Ever since that bye week, we haven’t been nearly as good as we have wanted to be.”

“I can’t really tell you what is really going on,” added linebacker C.J. Mosley. “It could be scheme. It could be mistakes here and there. That’s all of our job to figure out.”

0 seconds of 3 minu

That won’t be easy since it seems to be a total disaster. The defensive line has all but disappeared in recent weeks, rarely generating any kind of pass rush. The linebackers are putting on a clinic on how to miss tackles. And a young secondary that once showed some promise is beginning to regress, too.

And it’s not all about the injuries, either. The Jets did lose a couple of big pieces before the season started in defensive end Carl Lawson and safety Lamarcus Joyner, while safety Marcus Maye is out for the season now. Those are big hits, to be sure, but the Jets have been dealing with that since the start of the season.

As Saleh said, by now they should be getting better, not worse.

Maybe it’ll take Saleh stepping in and taking a more active role in the defense, since that’s where he built most of his resume. It was just two years ago that he coached a defense in San Francisco that carried the 49ers all the way to the Super Bowl. Maybe Saleh calling some of the defensive plays would help Ulbrich, who is essentially running Saleh’s defensive scheme.

But at this point, who knows if even that would be enough? Maybe this Jets defense is just this bad.

“There isn’t a magic formula or a secret sauce or anything like that,” Rankins said. “We all just have to get better.”

“Obviously, it’s not good enough,” Saleh said. “It always starts with me. We have eight games left and we have to figure it out.”

And quickly, because if not, this defense could really do damage in an already lost season. The last thing the Jets need is to be constantly playing catch up while they’re trying to groom a rookie quarterback, whenever Zach Wilson returns. There’s also always the danger of Saleh losing some of the room if he doesn’t start coming up with some answers soon.

At least there’s one bright spot, though, to this defensive disaster – and it’s the only thing they can cling to with more than two months still to go.

“I think we’ve played overall about as bad as we could possibly play at times,” Rankins said of the Jets' defense. “So, it can only go up from here.”

Or so they hope.

6 hours ago, the Claw said:

I wasn’t speaking about any specific offense, but since we’re cherry picking, Sporano’s first five weeks of 2012 was more productive than LaFleur’s first five weeks in 2021.

Not cherry-picking at all.  I was just saying the last three weeks the offense has played well, and better than anything I saw with Sporano or Adam Gase for that matter.  

7 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

This IrishJet guy has 41,046 posts.  I guess some on this board would think he's a good JetNation contributor.  Look at what he wrote.

What value does that bring?  The dude is like an infant in that when there's an opinion he doesn't like/agree with.

41k posts and plus 241k points...WTF.  What a joke.

WAY BIGGER question:

Is IrishJet Irish?

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not cherry-picking at all.  I was just saying the last three weeks the offense has played well, and better than anything I saw with Sporano or Adam Gase for that matter.  

The offense has played well the last few weeks. It’s been better quite a few times since Sporano. My point, however, was that it has been worse and I didn’t think that could be possible.

29 minutes ago, the Claw said:

The offense has played well the last few weeks. It’s been better quite a few times since Sporano. My point, however, was that it has been worse and I didn’t think that could be possible.

What will be telling is when Zach comes back.  If we go back to 10 points, you have to wonder.

I mean, the kid has all the tools.  But the problem is scheme: are you trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?  

On 11/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, southparkcpa said:

2011 lost last 3 games in a row, couldn’t stop Tebow etc.   From 2011 on his teams were bland, he actually inherited a good Buffalo D and made it worse.  

The Tebow thing was humiliating, and shouldn't have happened. Also Den wouldn't in a position to do it in the first place if Sanchez wasn't a worthless turd. He blew that game long before the D - he threw more TDs to the Broncos than to the Jets ffs - and then had a full-on meltdown the last 2 games, with a few turnovers each game. Only Sanchez could throw for 4 TDs in a win and the takeaway was still that he looked like he didn't belong on a football field, as his misses weren't near misses they weren't even close.

Seriously, how does any QB blow a game when the D holds the other team to 1 TD and 2 FGs in regulation while your own RBs rush for >300 yards between them? Then with the playoffs on the line, facing what we expected to be an elimination game if we lost, he has another one of his patented 3 turnover games and we lose 10-7. At home. In December. Against a dome team. 

A year later the team is 2-3 when the D gives up 10 points or less because of that airhead. That disgusting Broncos game was another when the D gave up 10 points and the Jets lost. Never mind how many points the D gave up over his tenure because The Sanchize gave the other team a short field. 

**** him. 

What were we talking about again?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What will be telling is when Zach comes back.  If we go back to 10 points, you have to wonder.

I mean, the kid has all the tools.  But the problem is scheme: are you trying to fit a square peg in a round hole?  

Can’t argue with any of that. With what we saw from the offense with White at the helm, a guy with Zach’s skillset could be seriously dangerous in this system. He has to get it together mentally. Lucky for us he’s only played 5 games and not 3 seasons. 

On 11/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

This is true.  I think I counted 13 losses of 20 points or more his last 4 years.  

So an average of about 3 a season? We’ve got 3 already this year and it’s just mid year. Saleh will have 6+ losses by 20+ especially if Zach plays. 

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

Can’t argue with any of that. With what we saw from the offense with White at the helm, a guy with Zach’s skillset could be seriously dangerous in this system. He has to get it together mentally. Lucky for us he’s only played 5 games and not 3 seasons. 

Again, you have to wonder: How well are GM's and coaches on the same page when it comes to drafting?  As we have seen so far, scheme seems VERY important on both sides of the ball.  If that is the case, Why draft a QB with a cannon of an arm who likes to improvise and play 'sandlot' style and put him in a system where he is to slowly and methodically work down the field, putting everyone to sleep.

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Tebow thing was humiliating, and shouldn't have happened. Also Den wouldn't in a position to do it in the first place if Sanchez wasn't a worthless turd. He blew that game long before the D - he threw more TDs to the Broncos than to the Jets ffs - and then had a full-on meltdown the last 2 games, with a few turnovers each game. Only Sanchez could throw for 4 TDs in a win and the takeaway was still that he looked like he didn't belong on a football field, as his misses weren't near misses they weren't even close.

Seriously, how does any QB blow a game when the D holds the other team to 1 TD and 2 FGs in regulation while your own RBs rush for >300 yards between them? Then with the playoffs on the line, facing what we expected to be an elimination game if we lost, he has another one of his patented 3 turnover games and we lose 10-7. At home. Against a dome team. 

A year later the team is 2-3 when the D gives up 10 points or less because of that airhead. That disgusting Broncos game was another when the D gave up 10 points and the Jets lost. Never mind how many points the D gave up over his tenure because The Sanchize gave the other team a short field. 

**** him. 

What were we talking about again?

Quantum physics I believe

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, you have to wonder: How well are GM's and coaches on the same page when it comes to drafting?  As we have seen so far, scheme seems VERY important on both sides of the ball.  If that is the case, Why draft a QB with a cannon of an arm who likes to improvise and play 'sandlot' style and put him in a system where he is to slowly and methodically work down the field, putting everyone to sleep.

What I find frustrating about that is I kept reading how Wilson was good for this system. Now I keep hearing how he’s not good for the system and too much of a gunslinger. Personally I don’t care if the offense is slow and methodical, and I don’t understand why anyone would be bothered by that. As long as they consistently get in the end zone they can dink and dunk all day for all I care. You don’t get style points and winning is fun. I just want them to win. 

Anyway, back to the topic, Rex is waaaaay overhyped by a large percentage of this fanbase and it annoys me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, the Claw said:

What I find frustrating about that is I kept reading how Wilson was good for this system. Now I keep hearing how he’s not good for the system and too much of a gunslinger. Personally I don’t care if the offense is slow and methodical, and I don’t understand why anyone would be bothered by that. As long as they consistently get in the end zone they can dink and dunk all day for all I care. You don’t get style points and winning is fun. I just want them to win. 

Anyway, back to the topic, Rex is waaaaay overhyped by a large percentage of this fanbase and it annoys me. 

Problem is the Jets suck and are boring. Prefer to win but at this point I'll take 1 out of 2!

• Upvote 1