Robert Saleh: “A monkey can call our defense”

GloryDays1985

On 11/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, Vin said:

Imagine if a white coach said this.  

So some of you not only think we need to rate comments by the race of the HC?  You also believe that hes not white and it makes a difference?   You know, like a racist?

WTF is wrong with some of you and the dumb asses who would actually downvote a post against racism.  The @DonCorleone and of course @Vin

• Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

A monkey can call the Jets D because it is predicated on beating the guy in front of you. The only wrinkle is whether the back 7 are in zone or man coverage. It is light on blitzes and relies on a penetrating D line. The Bottom line is that this Jets D has suffered far too many injuries to starters for a D design reliant on talented players to ever coalesce and perform at even an average level.  

Egg-Zactly.  The defense Saleh is running is driven by the premise that your talent will be making plays for you 1v1.  And, they have very little talent.  A defensive line that gets no pressure on the QB and very little push against the run.  A group of LBS that other than CJ would be 2nd string on other teams.  A swarm of unimpressive DBs/ You see the results.  If you run that defense with barely marginal players, you are going to get wiped out week in and week out.  If Rex or say Bud Carson had the same squad, at least they could scheme up a surprise or two.  

I dont blame Saleh.  That system can work so long as your GM brings you some talented players.  JD has failed and continues to fail

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:57 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

A monkey can call the Jets D because it is predicated on beating the guy in front of you. The only wrinkle is whether the back 7 are in zone or man coverage. It is light on blitzes and relies on a penetrating D line. The Bottom line is that this Jets D has suffered far too many injuries to starters for a D design reliant on talented players to ever coalesce and perform at even an average level.  

But there have been times that he sticks with certain defenses that his players have no chance of being successful with.  It’s easy to say, the players need to beat the guy in front of him, but you have to at least give your guys a chance to succeed.  We saw this against Atlanta where he continued to have the DE (Huff and JFM) play man against their TEs and get beat badly.  How do you have a DE cover Pitts and Hurst?  We saw Guidry get beat with no help repeatedly by Diggs.  Why leave a receiver like Diggs in one on one for so many plays? 

I get you can’t hide everyone on defense, but at times it seems he’s getting beat repeatedly in matchups that don’t make any sense.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

But there have been times that he sticks with certain defenses that his players have no chance of being successful with.  It’s easy to say, the players need to beat the guy in front of him, but you have to at least give your guys a chance to succeed.  We saw this against Atlanta where he continued to have the DE (Huff and JFM) play man against their TEs and get beat badly.  How do you have a DE cover Pitts and Hurst?  We saw Guidry get beat with no help repeatedly by Diggs.  Why leave a receiver like Diggs in one on one for so many plays? 

I get you can’t hide everyone on defense, but at times it seems he’s getting beat repeatedly in matchups that don’t make any sense.  

I don't disagree with you, because it certainly appears he has emphasized his system over personnel and play calls.

IMO, there are 2 types of coaches. Those that can win with anyone's players and those that can only win with "their" players. And by "their" I mean players that fit their system. I see where Saleh is coming from on this because executing the system and finding the players that play best in it takes precedence for him in year 1.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:30 AM, Vin said:

Well then that makes it even worse that Saleh said what he said then.  

For a league that has taken steps to "End Racism"(like the logos they put on every players helmet), that comment by Robbie was pretty bad and out-of-line.

Or he could just be talking about actual monkeys.  Why does everything have to be turned into something it was not intended to be?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't disagree with you, because it certainly appears he has emphasized his system over personnel and play calls.

IMO, there are 2 types of coaches. Those that can win with anyone's players and those that can only win with "their" players. And by "their" I mean players that fit their system. I see where Saleh is coming from on this because executing the system and finding the players that play best in it takes precedence for him in year 1.

I agree, but I just think even within the “system” there are better ways to adjust to what the other teams are doing to you.  I feel like that Saleh is so ridged in the system.  I hated the answer he gave when he was asked why not flip Hall and Echols/Guidry to address Diggs, they don’t “travel” the CB.  

I understand wanting to implement and execute your system, but there comes a point where you have to get a little creative and work with what you have and understand your limitations.   We’ll see, hopefully he stops some of the bleeding, it should get better as there are some bad offenses remaining on the schedule.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree, but I just think even within the “system” there are better ways to adjust to what the other teams are doing to you.  I feel like that Saleh is so ridged in the system.  I hated the answer he gave when he was asked why not flip Hall and Echols/Guidry to address Diggs, they don’t “travel” the CB.  

I understand wanting to implement and execute your system, but there comes a point where you have to get a little creative and work with what you have and understand your limitations.   We’ll see, hopefully he stops some of the bleeding, it should get better as there are some bad offenses remaining on the schedule.  

Well one thing is for sure if you're getting destroyed you should at least try something else.

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What intrigues me most is that Saleh, rightfully, wants to be the HC, so he is leaning on his DC Ulrich to fix things. So, that begs the question, how much control does Ulrich have as to the D system? Is he required to run it within parameters set by Saleh, or can he change things up? Frankly, I hope that Saleh would give Ulrich the freedom to change things up and evolve himself as a DC, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that Ulrich does not have complete freedom. I think it is more like Saleh telling Ulrich that Ulrich is the ultimate decision-maker for the D, but his decisions are limited to a set or pre-selected choices provided by Saleh. 

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What intrigues me most is that Saleh, rightfully, wants to be the HC, so he is leaning on his DC Ulrich to fix things. So, that begs the question, how much control does Ulrich have as to the D system? Is he required to run it within parameters set by Saleh, or can he change things up? Frankly, I hope that Saleh would give Ulrich the freedom to change things up and evolve himself as a DC, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that Ulrich does not have complete freedom. I think it is more like Saleh telling Ulrich that Ulrich is the ultimate decision-maker for the D, but his decisions are limited to a set or pre-selected choices provided by Saleh. 

After the next blow out loss you will see a change, Saleh will take over play calling

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

After the next blow out loss you will see a change, Saleh will take over play calling

I think it would be make for Saleh to do this. If he takes the play calling from Ulrich, he should give it to Mike Rutenberg. Saleh needs to be the HC and detach himself from the D philosophy so that his D coaches can grow and evolve, just like Saleh did when he was a coach. Saleh tweaked the Seattle D scheme and improved it. Perhaps if Ulrich and the D coaches are given the power to to make changes, they can change Saleh's D scheme for the better.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DLJ said:

What a completely idiotic take. He wasn’t comparing anyone to a monkey— he was speaking of literal monkeys. JFC, I’m black and even I realized what he meant. Keep the faux outrage

Gotta worry about the psychology of a guy who hears the term monkey and instantly thinks of that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I know very little about Ulbrich, I assume Saleh has had a ton of input into the game plans on Wednesday through Friday and allows Ulbrich, for the most part, to do his thing on Sundays.   

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I know very little about Ulbrich, I assume Saleh has had a ton of input into the game plans on Wednesday through Friday and allows Ulbrich, for the most part, to do his thing on Sundays.   

Well that is a problem, Ulbrich seems perfectly capable of handing ALL of the rigors of being DC

Prior to the Jets, Ulbrich spent six seasons with the Falcons, the first five as the team's linebackers coach, before he added the title of assistant head coach (2020). In 2020, following Raheem Morris' move to interim head coach in Week Six, he became the interim defensive coordinator for the final 11 games. Under Ulbrich, the defense improved in every category: total defense, scoring defense, passing defense, rushing defense, third down defense and red zone defense, while also producing sacks and interceptions at a higher rate. In those final 11 games, the Falcons ranked in the top third of the league in opponents third-down percentage and opposing red zone touchdown percentage, while also allowing the sixth fewest rushing yards per game.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/jeff-ulbrich