Are the Jets afraid of Mike White?

3 hours ago, GloryDays1985 said:

It makes perfect sense to bench Wilson for this game and give him the full 4 weeks to heal from the knee injury. 

However,  part of me thinks they are afraid that MW will play well again. I think they were taken back by how much attention he received and didn’t want to give him another opportunity to supersede Wilson. 

With Flacco the Jets are covered. He’s not part of the future, and his career achievements allow them to sell the “gives us the best chance to win” mantra to the fan base. 

All that said it’s a really unfortunate decision by the organization. Mike White is loved by the fan base and the Jets locker room. He deserved another shot. Saleh said on Monday “he had one bad game and now everyone is going to toss him aside?” That’s exactly what the Jets did here. 

I think Douglas and Saleh are going to take a ton of heat for this and rightfully so. Also feel bad for Joe Flacco who is collateral damage in this disaster. 

you're kidding, right?  i don't think i'd want saleh as coach or douglas as gm if they buckled under to fans protests.  especially when considering the poor recent record and draft history of this team.  they need to be given time to let there plan play out.  if this team performs as badly next season then maybe they both should be on the hot seat.

and i don't feel bad for flacco or mike white or wilson.  they are all getting paid handsomely for what they do and they should all be concerned about how they are playing their facet of the game.

6 hours ago, GloryDays1985 said:

It makes perfect sense to bench Wilson for this game and give him the full 4 weeks to heal from the knee injury. 

However,  part of me thinks they are afraid that MW will play well again. I think they were taken back by how much attention he received and didn’t want to give him another opportunity to supersede Wilson. 

With Flacco the Jets are covered. He’s not part of the future, and his career achievements allow them to sell the “gives us the best chance to win” mantra to the fan base. 

All that said it’s a really unfortunate decision by the organization. Mike White is loved by the fan base and the Jets locker room. He deserved another shot. Saleh said on Monday “he had one bad game and now everyone is going to toss him aside?” That’s exactly what the Jets did here. 

I think Douglas and Saleh are going to take a ton of heat for this and rightfully so. Also feel bad for Joe Flacco who is collateral damage in this disaster. 

FECCEBB1-0ACB-4BBE-B2E5-C5B31DA21F4E.jpeg

• Haha 1

No one is afraid of Mike White.  The fanbase is viewing him thru beer goggles. Let's all take a deep breath and relax.  Because this fanbase has suffered through YEARS of terrible QB play, the first time someone "Browning Nagle's" a  really good game, we automatically anoint him the second coming of Joe Namath.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Mike White is our latest and greatest broken clock.

This franchise needs to play Zack Wilson the second he is ready to go, and if they don't, cue the clown music.

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Mike White has 8 interceptions in a little over 3 games played, so I'm going to go with . . . "No"

How many INT's do you little Zacky might have thrown vs. the #1 Defense in the NFL?

Of note, the best QB in the NFL not named Brady had two INT's and a lost Fumble vs. that same Defense.  And his Defense was alot better than ours in keeping it close.

I mean lets be honest, it's pretty obvious that Flacco playing is 1. Saleh desperation + 2. to ensure White doesn't actually have another 400 yard game vs. the poop Dolphins Defense, and thus kill two birds with one stone, get White off the stage, and to set up Wilson for his glorious return against the truly poop Texans Defense, a D in most years that would be dead last in the NFL (if not for us, lol).  The hype after that game will be immense (he gets it, Wilson is the golden child!), unless he poops the bed.....in which case, wow.  He does that, he's a dead bust walking.

We're likely gonna re-live the glorious Darnold 2019 late year campaign, where he looked a bit better vs. absolute poop opponents for a few games, lol.  Now, vs. the NFL weakest remaining schedule, Wilson will give a little hope, just like Sam did.  We can only guess what the crash back to earth in 2022 will look like. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I mean lets be honest, it's pretty obvious that Flacco playing is 1. Saleh desperation + 2. to ensure White doesn't actually have another 400 yard game 

It might be obvious to you. 

Personally, I think what’s obvious is that White’s 400 yard game was as much of a mirage as Zach’s performance against the Titans. The difference is that Wilson has a higher ceiling than White and the jets have considerably more invested in him. 

And also, a big LMAO at this idea that the Jets are afraid of White throwing for 400 yards again. LOL. Good luck throwing for 400 yards again throwing underneath to running backs all day. That was what we like to call in the business an “outlier.”

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

This is kind of silly.   IF Wilson is a bust, (I don't think he is) JD's only hope to keep his job is for White to be a FQB.  Wilson would be an after thought if White kept on throwing for 350-425 yards a game.

Sadly, White is what we thought he was. 

Don’t let logic get in the way of a fun “LOL Jets” narrative 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It might be obvious to you. 

Personally, I think what’s obvious is that White’s 400 yard game was as much of a mirage as Zach’s performance against the Titans. The difference is that Wilson has a higher ceiling than White and the jets have considerably more invested in him. 

And also, a big LMAO at this idea that the Jets are afraid of White throwing for 400 yards again. LOL. Good luck throwing for 400 yards again throwing underneath to running backs all day. That was what we like to call in the business an “outlier.”

Jeez, if we take away Wilson's only decent outlier game against Tenn., he is historically bad so far.  Like serious bust-level bad.

Thank god for Zach all the games count for him and no one is taking away his best performance, eh?

If Wilson was any good at all so far, none of us would care about Mike White or his fill-in 400 yard best-in-20-years game.

I wonder when Zachy will put up a best-in-20-year type game?  Well, he's playing the dogpoop Texans I guess, so we'll see.  If he can't produce his first 300 yard+ 3 Passing TD game against them......lol.

In before the preemptive excuses start rolling in......

Just now, Warfish said:

Jeez, if we take away Wilson's only decent outlier game against Tenn., he is historically bad so far.  Like serious bust-level bad.

Thank god for Zach all the games count for him and no one is taking away his best performance, eh?

If Wilson was any good at all so far, none of us would care about Mike White or his fill-in 400 yard best-in-20-years game.

I wonder when Zachy will put up a best-in-20-year type game?  Well, he's playing the dogpoop Texans I guess, so we'll see.  If he can't produce his first 300 yard+ 3 Passing TD game against them......lol.

You guys have jumped the shark.

Wilson has played a little over 5 games. White has played a little over 3. “Historically bad” really isn’t a phrase that should be entering these discussions at all. 

You obviously bought the Mike White koolaid  after one game . . . You would think Browning Nagle would have made a bigger impression on this fanbase. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, GloryDays1985 said:

Yeah, thats what it is.

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many INT's do you little Zacky might have thrown vs. the #1 Defense in the NFL?

Of note, the best QB in the NFL not named Brady had two INT's and a lost Fumble vs. that same Defense.  And his Defense was alot better than ours in keeping it close.

I mean lets be honest, it's pretty obvious that Flacco playing is 1. Saleh desperation + 2. to ensure White doesn't actually have another 400 yard game vs. the poop Dolphins Defense, and thus kill two birds with one stone, get White off the stage, and to set up Wilson for his glorious return against the truly poop Texans Defense, a D in most years that would be dead last in the NFL (if not for us, lol).  The hype after that game will be immense (he gets it, Wilson is the golden child!), unless he poops the bed.....in which case, wow.  He does that, he's a dead bust walking.

We're likely gonna re-live the glorious Darnold 2019 late year campaign, where he looked a bit better vs. absolute poop opponents for a few games, lol.  Now, vs. the NFL weakest remaining schedule, Wilson will give a little hope, just like Sam did.  We can only guess what the crash back to earth in 2022 will look like. 

Maybe 0 INTs

How many should we dream up to make MW's debacle seem better?

Only on the NY Jets board is playing the best of the two BACKUPS deemed desperation 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You guys have jumped the shark.

Probably, admittedly.  Lol.

I think I'm just super pissed the Jets are starting f'ing Flacco.  Not worth watching tbqh.

Wilson has played a little over 5 games. White has played a little over 3. “Historically bad” really isn’t a phrase that should be entering these discussions at all. 

Here is a real test for you:  Has Wilson played well?  If you answer anything other than "no", I question your abillity to have even a modicum of objectivity about Wilson.

You obviously bought the Mike White koolaid  after one game . . . You would think Browning Nagle would have made a bigger impression on this fanbase. 

Doing something no Jets QB has done in over 20 years is a great way to get my attention.  

Looking very good (till getting hurt, meh) in his second start helped.

He was poo against Buffalo, but so is everyone.  As I said before, how would Zach look down 30 points against the Bills #1 Defense?  I'd wager no better, and likely worse.  The Offense under him was materially worse than it's been under White/Johnson.

I'm under no illusions about White.  I just think he's played better than Wilson.  And I think the guy who plays best should start.  I know, crazy.  Can;t sit the #2 overall pick.  I get it, I know how the world works.  

I'm just also under no illusions about Wilson either.  IMO he was never worth the #2 pick as a prospect, and so far, his pro career has been less than impressive.  But you're 100% right, only five games, and #2 picks get at least 48 games to show how bad they are before they're dumped and all the former defenders flip flop and tell everyone they can that they never believed in Sanchez, er, Geno, er, Darnold, er, Wilson. 

As I;ve said every time we've been here over all these years, I am eager, desperate, to be proven wrong.  Not one of them has done it yet, and I'm doubtful Zach Wilson will be the one who does.

Just now, Warfish said:

Probably, admittedly.  Lol.

Here is a real test for you:  Has Wilson played well?  If you answer anything other than "no", I question your abillity to have even a modicum of objectivity about Wilson.

Doing something no Jets QB has done in over 20 years is a great way to get my attention.  

Looking very good (till getting hurt, meh) in his second start helped.

He was poo against Buffalo, but so is everyone.  As I said before, how would Zach look down 30 points against the Bills #1 Defense?  I'd wager no better, and likely worse.  The Offense under him was materially worse than it's been under White/Johnson.

I'm under no illusions about White.  I just think he's played better than Wilson.  And I think the guy who plays best should start.  I know, crazy.  Can;t sit the #2 overall pick.  I get it, I know how the world works.  

I'm just also under no illusions about Wilson either.  IMO he was never worth the #2 pick as a prospect, and so far, his pro career has been less than impressive.  But you're 100% right, only five games, and #2 picks get at least 48 games to show how bad they are before they're dumped and all the former defenders flip flop and tell everyone they can that they never believed in Sanchez, er, Geno, er, Darnold, er, Wilson. 

As I;ve said every time we've been here over all these years, I am eager, desperate, to be proven wrong.  Not one of them has done it yet, and I'm doubtful Zach Wilson will be the one who does.

I’m doubtful about both guys - but I think Wilson has  considerably more talent than White and the best chance for this Jets regime to turn things around is for Wilson to emerge as a good NFL QB. I think White had to roll for a few games to keep the job and he just wasn’t able to do that, unfortunately. Both guys have one really good start and a lot of meh or worse outside of that in very limited sample sizes. 

White has been better at making quicker decisions to get rid of the ball and hitting his check downs, but I’m not convinced throwing to running backs all day is sustainable, and at the end of the day, both guys have been huge turnover machines. White has 8 picks in a little over 3 games, while Wilson has 9 picks in a little over 5 games. If the QB is going to be turning the ball over, I want the guy with superior arm strength, mobility, and big play potential. 

The other issue with White is that he’s gotten injured in all three of his starts - lol.

I personally see limited longterm potential with White, and regardless of what I think, the Jets are going to play Wilson when he’s healthy, so I’d recommend getting over it sooner than later. 

you can have the last word. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m doubtful about both guys - but I think Wilson has  considerably more talent than White and the best chance for this Jets regime to turn things around is for Wilson to emerge as a good NFL QB. I think White had to roll for a few games to keep the job and he just wasn’t able to do that, unfortunately. Both guys have one really good start and a lot of meh or worse outside of that in very limited sample sizes. 

White has been better at making quicker decisions to get rid of the ball and hitting his check downs, but I’m not convinced throwing to running backs all day is sustainable, and at the end of the day, both guys have been huge turnover machines. White has 8 picks in a little over 3 games, while Wilson has 9 picks in a little over 5 games. If the QB is going to be turning the ball over, I want the guy with superior arm strength, mobility, and big play potential. 

The other issue with White is that he’s gotten injured in all three of his starts - lol.

I personally see limited longterm potential with White, and regardless of what I think, the Jets are going to play Wilson when he’s healthy, so I’d recommend getting over it sooner than later. 

This was an excellent post. You really did a nice job here.

(and this is coming from someone who feels the same way @Warfish does).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why are you so down on Zach? The kid is five games into his rookie season. Darnold not working out has nothing to do with Zach. 

7 minutes ago, GloryDays1985 said:

Why are you so down on Zach? The kid is five games into his rookie season. Darnold not working out has nothing to do with Zach. 

I'm down on Zach because I never thought he was a good prospect, and he's done nothing to-date to dissuade me of that opinion.

I'm down on Zach because he has been, thru 5 games, the worst starting QB in the NFL.  And he couldn't stay on the field either.

I'm down on Zach because a nobody JAG like Mike White could come in and instantly be obviously and materially better than Zach was.

When Wilson gives me a concrete reason to be more up on him, I will.  

As I've said elsewhere, if Wilson wants to win me over, a great opportunity will be to get on the field next week vs. the no-account Texans defense, and put up 300+ passing yards and 3 or more TD's without throwing an INT. 

That would be a great way to start showing me, rather than just having homers tell me, that I should be up on him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I’m doubtful about both guys - but I think Wilson has  considerably more talent than White

Completely agree.  If we're talking the dreaded P-word (Potential), it's no contest.  But potential is a cheap commodity.

and the best chance for this Jets regime to turn things around is for Wilson to emerge as a good NFL QB.

Our best chance is of someone to emerge as a good QB.  I don't care and am not personally invested in it being Wilson.  If it's White, or anyone else, I'm just as happy.

I think White had to roll for a few games to keep the job and he just wasn’t able to do that, unfortunately.

An impossible challenge that Zach himself could never have lived up to either, especially with Buffalo on the schedule.  Be it White or Wilson, neither was putting on a field day against that Defense.

Both guys have one really good start and a lot of meh or worse outside of that in very limited sample sizes. 

I disagree.  White has one amazing start, one good start busted by injury (he was at almost 100 yards and a TD in 1 Quarter when hurt), and one poop start vs. Buffalo.

Wilson has no 60 min great starts, and one good 2nd half game vs. Tennessee.  Otherwise, it's almost all poop.  

And Zack looks as bad as he does because he has poor field vision, doesn't see open guys, doesn't take what is available, is too often is looking to make the hero bomb to impress the chicks.  

But you're 100% right, White is a less-talented Chad Pennington at best.  Wilson, at least right now, is a materially less capable Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He has a literal ton to improve on to actually get much use out of his clearly superior arm, mobillity and big play potential.

100% on the mark, he can't stay healthy, and he had to to have any chance of continuing his Cinderella story.

You're probably right, the odds certainly favor this, I agree.

Like I said, if Wilson was starting Sunday, I probably don't even post much today.

Having Flacco just kills me in it's pointlessness.  

Appreciated, but I've enjoyed your posts so far, nothing wrong with different viewpoints.  Have a good evening my friend.

• Upvote 1

They're giving Zach more time to practice and heal, while starting a veteran who has shown he can complete a whole game without getting injured.  This isn't about any of the shouting fans have been doing or would be doing if White played decent against the Dolphins.

The CS and FO are fully committed to Zach.  He's 22 years old with loads of talent.  I think we're going to see a different QB next time he's on the field.

I can’t believe fans—and the media (who I should point out manufacture the drama for clicks more than anything—are so gullible. That’s not to criticize casual fans or anyone in this post defending Mike White, but at some point people have to realize that a small sample size of statistics means very little in the grand scheme of things. 

Matt Flynn made 2 starts for the Packers: one in his 3rd year, another in his 4th. He threw for 251 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 INT in his first start. In his second he shattered Packers records, passing for 480 yards, 6 TDs, and 1 INT. He was out of the league 4 years later (30 years old). 

Mike White is a great story. He may have even proven to be a great backup/spot-starter. Maybe he can even be a starter on a good team. The reality is he’s somewhere in the Matt Flynn and Trevor Siemian tier. He has traits that clearly correlate to being a “game manager” QB… quick processing, knows how to find the open man in zone, takes what the defense gives him; that stuff works against Cover-2 zone defenses when all that’s required is ball control, but asking him to complete against man coverage defenses who run a lot of Cover-1/Cover-0 without a strong run game or defense to keep the game close, defenses will tee off on and force him to beat them with his arm. He simply doesn’t have the ability to challenge defenses down the field or throw guys open. Doesn’t mean he can’t figure it out, but no, he is not—and never will be—a franchise QB.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I can’t believe fans—and the media (who I should point out manufacture the drama for clicks more than anything—are so gullible. That’s not to criticize casual fans or anyone in this post defending Mike White, but at some point people have to realize that a small sample size of statistics means very little in the grand scheme of things. 

Matt Flynn made 2 starts for the Packers: one in his 3rd year, another in his 4th. He threw for 251 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 INT in his first start. In his second he shattered Packers records, passing for 480 yards, 6 TDs, and 1 INT. He was out of the league 4 years later (30 years old). 

Mike White is a great story. He may have even proven to be a great backup/spot-starter. Maybe he can even be a starter on a good team. The reality is he’s somewhere in the Matt Flynn and Trevor Siemian tier. He has traits that clearly correlate to being a “game manager” QB… quick processing, knows how to find the open man in zone, takes what the defense gives him; that stuff works against Cover-2 zone defenses when all that’s required is ball control, but asking him to complete against man coverage defenses who run a lot of Cover-1/Cover-0 without a strong run game or defense to keep the game close, defenses will tee off on and force him to beat them with his arm. He simply doesn’t have the ability to challenge defenses down the field or throw guys open. Doesn’t mean he can’t figure it out, but no, he is not—and never will be—a franchise QB.

It's not about White's extremely low or impossible chances of being a franchise QB.  It's about the very likely reality that White will be on the team in 2022 and Flacco will not.  Thus, I'd rather give the top contender for the 2022 QB2 spot another start over Flacco.  Regardless of how poorly he played last week.

Truth be told,  if anyone in the team organization believed in White he'd get the nod. The reality is, wrong or right, they don't think he is that good. From their pov, again right or wrong, White doesn't have the potential for long term success nor is he better than Flacco in the context of having a better chance for short term wins