Are the Jets afraid of Mike White?

17 minutes ago, yvj said:

Truth be told,  if anyone in the team organization believed in White he'd get the nod. The reality is, wrong or right, they don't think he is that good. From their pov, again right or wrong, White doesn't have the potential for long term success nor is he better than Flacco in the context of having a better chance for short term wins 

But again, unless you expect the Jets not to extend White a cheap RFA tender this offseason, White will be on the 2022 roster and Flacco will not.

I have yet to hear a compelling argument why White should not be ahead of Flacco on the depth chart when you base it on that likely reality.  We should be treating White like our QB2 since he's the current top contender to be the QB2 in 2022.  The only reason White should not be the starting QB this week is if he suffered an injury.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But again, unless you expect the Jets not to extend White a cheap RFA tender this offseason, White will be on the 2022 roster and Flacco will not.

I have yet to hear a compelling argument why White should not be ahead of Flacco on the depth chart when you base it on that likely reality.  We should be treating White like our QB2 since he's the current top contender to be the QB2 in 2022.  The only reason White should have fallen to the QB3 behind a semi-retired Flacco is if White is too hurt to play.

Not being a big conspiracy theorist, I don't actually believe the Saleh/JD are afraid of Mike White playing well and outshining Zach. I think they are afraid of another meltdown and embarrassment. 

I don't think Flacco gives us the best chance to win between the two -- Mike White had a better game than Flacco has had since his Balti days. But Flacco gives the Jets the least chance to be utterly embarrassed. That, I believe, is the calculation that went into this decision.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not being a big conspiracy theorist, I don't actually believe the Saleh/JD are afraid of Mike White playing well and outshining Zach. I think they are afraid of another meltdown and embarrassment. 

I don't think Flacco gives us the best chance to win between the two -- Mike White had a better game than Flacco has had since his Balti days. But Flacco gives the Jets the least chance to be utterly embarrassed. That, I believe, is the calculation that went into this decision.

Flacco's #'s against Miami last season:  21-44, 186 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 1 Fumble

I know that isn't a 3+ INT meltdown, but that's pretty damn bad.  I'd rather see a meltdown than an uninspiring performance.  

Why not start White but give him a short leash?  If he melts down in the first half, start Flacco in the 2nd half.  And if Flacco melts down and they have to turn to White, that will be even more embarrassing than a 5-INT game out of White, no?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Flacco's #'s against Miami last season:  21-44, 186 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 1 Fumble

I know that isn't a 3+ INT meltdown, but that's pretty damn bad.  I'd rather see a meltdown than an uninspiring performance.  

Oh I'm with you but -- speculating here -- I think the Jets prefer a 20% chance of winning/70% chance of losing in a snoozefest/10% chance of another throttling to 30/40/30.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have yet to hear a compelling argument why White should not be ahead of Flacco on the depth chart when you base it on that likely reality.  We should be treating White like our QB2 since he's the current top contender to be the QB2 in 2022.  The only reason White should not be the starting QB this week is if he suffered an injury.  

The assumption that White is/was in the long term planning of the Jets is based on what exactly? Them picking him back up after they waived him? I mean I dont have a problem with it at all, but from a team organizational perspective, and how they are/were moving what Guarantees White will be here in 2022? Under the assumption that they don't really think much of him, and the Flacco nod + they waived before may be a hint of how they feel about him long term, despite the Bengals game there is more to say White won't be here than he will. 

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh I'm with you but -- speculating here -- I think the Jets prefer a 20% chance of winning/70% chance of losing in a snoozefest/10% chance of another throttling to 30/40/30.

And that's cowardly, of course.  Highly disappointing.  But par for the course.  And I agree with @Integrity28 that Woody Johnson is probably adding his input to this decision.  Which makes this even worse.  The biggest positive I had for Douglas was that he had seemed to box the Johnson's out of any football decisions.  I no longer think that's the case.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, GloryDays1985 said:

It makes perfect sense to bench Wilson for this game and give him the full 4 weeks to heal from the knee injury. 

However,  part of me thinks they are afraid that MW will play well again. I think they were taken back by how much attention he received and didn’t want to give him another opportunity to supersede Wilson. 

With Flacco the Jets are covered. He’s not part of the future, and his career achievements allow them to sell the “gives us the best chance to win” mantra to the fan base. 

All that said it’s a really unfortunate decision by the organization. Mike White is loved by the fan base and the Jets locker room. He deserved another shot. Saleh said on Monday “he had one bad game and now everyone is going to toss him aside?” That’s exactly what the Jets did here. 

I think Douglas and Saleh are going to take a ton of heat for this and rightfully so. Also feel bad for Joe Flacco who is collateral damage in this disaster. 

This is stupid.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only explanation for starting Flacco is that he gives us a better chance of winning (even if it's only a marginal difference). Of course, a franchise looking to win a Super Bowl in the future would rather develop a player like White over winning a meaningless game. But these are the Jets and our HC is insecure (despite the tough guy appearance) and he is desperate for a win this week. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, yvj said:

The assumption that White is/was in the long term planning of the Jets is based on what exactly? Them picking him back up after they waived him? I mean I dont have a problem with it at all, but from a team organizational perspective, and how they are/were moving what Guarantees White will be here in 2022? Under the assumption that they don't really think much of him, and the Flacco nod + they waived before may be a hint of how they feel about him long term.  Despite the Bengals game there is more to say White won't be here than he will. 

There's a far greater chance White is on the 2022 roster than Flacco, is all I'm saying.  Maybe there's a chance they aren't extending him an RFA tender next year.  Who knows.  But he's a young, cheap QB2 at the moment and it makes no sense why they'd view him no differently than Flacco at the moment.  Flacco is semi-retired.  Mike White just had a 400+ yard game a mere 2 weeks ago.  They aren't the same.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that's cowardly, of course.  Highly disappointing.  But par for the course.  And I agree with @Integrity28 that Woody Johnson is probably adding his input to this decision.  Which makes this even worse.  The biggest positive I had for Douglas was that he had seemed to box the Johnson's out of any football decisions.  I no longer think that's the case.  

Gutless Joe and Surrender Saleh following White Flag Woody.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's a far greater chance White is on the 2022 roster than Flacco, is all I'm saying.  Maybe there's a chance they aren't extending him an RFA tender next year.  Who knows.  But he's a young, cheap QB2 at the moment and it makes no sense why they'd view him no differently than Flacco at the moment.  Flacco is semi-retired.  Mike White just had a 400+ yard game a mere 2 weeks ago.  They aren't the same.

We may have a hint with Mims of how it may be when the team just doesn't believe in a guy. Obviously the team would be better off if they are wrong. But what I'm saying is this make sense under the lens of them not believing in someone. It seems to me White is not in their long term plans at all and right now they think Flacco can win some games. 

6 minutes ago, yvj said:

We may have a hint with Mims of how it may be when the team just doesn't believe in a guy. Obviously the team would be better off if they are wrong. But what I'm saying is this make sense under the lens of them not believing in someone. It seems to me White is not in their long term plans at all and right now they think Flacco can win some games. 

But they aren't going to win with Flacco, so it's all very silly and cowardly.  Even if White isn't in their plans in 2022, there's really no good reason to start Flacco this week. 

Going from starting White for 3 straight weeks to demoting him based off one rough game against arguably the NFL's best team (yes, they have 3 losses, but they're also # 1 in the league in net points by a wide margin) is terrible decision making.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But they aren't going to win with Flacco, so it's all very silly and cowardly.  Even if White isn't in their plans in 2022, there's really no good reason to start Flacco this week. 

Going from starting White for 3 straight weeks to demoting him based off one rough game against arguably the NFL's best team (they're # 1 in net points by a wide margin) is terrible decision making.  

Maybe it's already been announced but if Mike White is inactive Sunday that will tell us an awful lot about what's going on inside this team.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going from starting White for 3 straight weeks to demoting him based off one rough game against arguably the NFL's best team (yes, they have 3 losses, but they're also # 1 in the league in net points by a wide margin) is terrible decision making.  

I dont disagree that it is a bad decision under the assumption that Flacco is not as good as as White right now. But I think they think Flacco is better. I do not think they have as high of an opinion on White as Jets fans do. It is  not too far, from my perspective  as the situation with Mims. 

Under this logic if healthy Zach starts next week based solely on potential that they don't think White has. 

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

this is about right too.

i think they know White is limited. remember what most of us said after the Cincy game, lets see what happens when a team has tape on White. well Buffalo did and took the short pass away and he could not make the mid to deep throws.

now Miami is sure to follow that game plan if White started and that could be disasterous for us. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Probably, admittedly.  Lol.

I think I'm just super pissed the Jets are starting f'ing Flacco.  Not worth watching tbqh.

Here is a real test for you:  Has Wilson played well?  If you answer anything other than "no", I question your abillity to have even a modicum of objectivity about Wilson.

Doing something no Jets QB has done in over 20 years is a great way to get my attention.  

Looking very good (till getting hurt, meh) in his second start helped.

He was poo against Buffalo, but so is everyone.  As I said before, how would Zach look down 30 points against the Bills #1 Defense?  I'd wager no better, and likely worse.  The Offense under him was materially worse than it's been under White/Johnson.

I'm under no illusions about White.  I just think he's played better than Wilson.  And I think the guy who plays best should start.  I know, crazy.  Can;t sit the #2 overall pick.  I get it, I know how the world works.  

I'm just also under no illusions about Wilson either.  IMO he was never worth the #2 pick as a prospect, and so far, his pro career has been less than impressive.  But you're 100% right, only five games, and #2 picks get at least 48 games to show how bad they are before they're dumped and all the former defenders flip flop and tell everyone they can that they never believed in Sanchez, er, Geno, er, Darnold, er, Wilson. 

As I;ve said every time we've been here over all these years, I am eager, desperate, to be proven wrong.  Not one of them has done it yet, and I'm doubtful Zach Wilson will be the one who does.

Let it go.

Why can’t some of you understand this:

Mike White is a backup QB, at best.

Yes, he played lights out vs the bengals. That warranted a 2nd start. Unfortunately, he was injured vs the Colts so, seeing that Zach wasn’t yet 100% healthy, White got the start vs. The Bills.

He then wets the bed and plays like crap with 4 ints. Why would he warrant the Dolphin start???? Oh, it’s because “the fans want it “? Objectively speaking,  he cratered vs a top defence (Bills) why would it be that different vs Dolphins defence whose has been playing extremely well as of late?
Reverse the roles for a second…IF Flacco threw 4 ints vs the BIlls would he warrant the Dolphins start?

NO

Again, all of this week s predicated in Zach not being 100% healthy enough to play…which means running around and taking a hit or on that injured knee is f need be.

There’s no conspiracy here folks. The media has done a hatchet job making something out of nothing because Flacco is boring. 

I hope he wins the game Sunday. Not for the “W” ( if we end up with 3, 4 or 5 wins there’s zero difference) rather just to see what the reaction here will be.

I wish Mike White the very best but he wasn’t going to be our Tom Brady 

Keep your eyes on the prize; this team’s ultimate success or demise rests with Zach Wilson. Accept it. The kids a rookie. Remember this and stop all nonsense about him being a bust. We just don’t know yet.

I have zero clue whether or not Zach’s the guy. I hope he is. The team needs to play this out for the next couple of years to find out.

if he fails, then press the reset button.

now let’s resume our regular scheduled bellyaching broadcast.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Yes, he played lights out vs the bengals. That warranted a 2nd start. Unfortunately, he was injured vs the Colts so, seeing that Zach wasn’t yet 100% healthy, White got the start vs. The Bills.

He then wets the bed and plays like crap with 4 ints. Why would he warrant the Dolphin start???? Oh, it’s because “the fans want it “? Objectively speaking,  he cratered vs a top defence (Bills) why would it be that different vs Dolphins defence whose has been playing extremely well as of late?
Reverse the roles for a second…IF Flacco threw 4 ints vs the BIlls would he warrant the Dolphins start?

NO

Again, all of this week s predicated in Zach not being 100% healthy enough to play…which means running around and taking a hit or on that injured knee is f need be.

There’s no conspiracy here folks. The media has done a hatchet job making something out of nothing because Flacco is boring. 

I hope he wins the game Sunday. Not for the “W” ( if we end up with 3, 4 or 5 wins there’s zero difference) rather just to see what the reaction here will be.

Keep your eyes on the prize; this team’s ultimate success or demise rests with Zach Wilson. Accept it. The kids a rookie. Remember this and stop all nonsense about him being a bust. We just don’t know yet.

I have zero clue whether or not Zach’s the guy. I hope he is. The team needs to play this out for the next couple of years to find out.

flacco is awful and he is washed we already know he is not part of our future plans -I am not a mike white fan boy but he may have a future on our squad so let him play-

• Upvote 1

Joe Flacco, Delaware  
Height: 6-6. Weight: 236. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.86.  
Combine 40 Time: 4.78.  
Hand Size: 9 5/8.  
Projected Round: 2-3. 
No surprise that Joe Flacco missed his first two passes at the combine. There's no question he has the strongest arm in this draft class, but I've always been concerned with his accuracy and pocket awareness. Still, the upside is tremendous here. 

Impressive

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Joe Flacco, Delaware  
Height: 6-6. Weight: 236. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.86.  
Combine 40 Time: 4.78.  
Hand Size: 9 5/8.  
Projected Round: 2-3. 
No surprise that Joe Flacco missed his first two passes at the combine. There's no question he has the strongest arm in this draft class, but I've always been concerned with his accuracy and pocket awareness. Still, the upside is tremendous here. 

Impressive

Got the scouting report on Jim Brown, while you're at it?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

NO

Thank you for arguing for EVERYTHING that is wrong.

He craps the bed on his third start after the defense gives up 30 points and the suggestion is he doesn't deserve another shot.

THAT is what's wrong, well with pretty much everything nowadays.  If you can't be perfect right away all the time, you should be discarded.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Thank you for arguing for EVERYTHING that is wrong.

He craps the bed on his third start after the defense gives up 30 points and suggest he doesn't deserve another shot.

THAT is what's wrong, well with pretty much everything nowadays.

Sorry, he doesn t deserve to start. he's a 6th round journeyman back up QB. He proved it last week.

It is what it is...

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sorry, he doesn t deserve to start. he's a 6th round journeyman back up QB. He proved it last week.

It is what it is...

So he's got 1 good game and one abomination that makes him.... 

Better than Sam Darnold who got nearly 40 games here. Draft capital, baby.

2 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Starting flacco makes zero sense

It makes zero sense if your personal goals are aligned with the team's.

Problem is JD and Saleh are desperate to avoid another blasting and Flacco is less likely to have a meltdown performance than Mike White. Also less likely to perform well, but this decision is all about managing the downside.

• Upvote 1