Mac Jones should be why JD is fired yesterday

Facts

8 hours ago, undertow said:

You can't revise history and act like everyone wanted Mac Jones to be drafted second overall literally no one wanted to do that just like no one was screaming to draft Tom Brady...there's plenty of sh*tty decisions Douglas has made let's not start inventing them.

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The majority of this fanbase would’ve been beyond pissed if we took Jones over any of Wilson, Fields or Lance.

This is all hindsight and it’s still way too early.

Jones has been hands down the most NFL ready of these rookie QB’s but I still think his upside is relatively limited.

6 hours ago, FootballLove said:

If JD used the #2overall to draft Mac Jones, there's NO WAY JD gets fired midway thru this first season.  That's because fans right here would have DEMANDED JD get fired before training camp.

What the fans wanted is irrelevant. If Jones turns out to be better than Wilson then that's absolutely a damning indictment of Douglas.

He had the pick of all but one of the QB's. He obviously didn't bow to media/fan pressure or he'd have taken Justin Fields but his job is to get the right guy, not the most popular. 

I didn't want Fields but the decision wasn't mine and I don't evaluate players for a living. If he turns out to be the best QB then I can still be pissed at Douglas for doing a sh*tty job. 

As of now Jones is head and shoulders above the rookie QB's and the Pats have made out like bandits getting him where he did. Ironically it's pretty certain that they only got him because the 49ers did indeed bow to fan pressure. It was a pretty badly kept secret that Shanahan preferred Jones, which Lance's playing time is pretty reflective of. 

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm still pissed we didn't draft Mahomes or Jackson.  We could have traded back and got Jones and maybe Pitts or Slater.  We got Zach.  Hope he finds his Mojo.  If he doesn't were not sniffing a wild card birtth for 5 to 10 years.  

MaHoMeS wOuLd HaVe BuStEd HeRe

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Hael said:

Jones looks like a 35 year old QB who's athletic days are well behind him, and who eats too many Taco Bells, but who knows the game of football.  Pretty much one of the most bizarre rookies anyone will ever find.  You just can't make this up.

But yea, unfortunately he's pretty good.  Not top ten QB good, but good enough that its going to be a problem for us for a long time...

See reference: the pig.

Ben Roethlisberger Football GIF by Pittsburgh Steelers

On 11/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, undertow said:

There's 100 things to be pissed about not drafting Mac Jones isn't one of them

Yea, like the list of top rookies @Saul Goodman put up a few posts ago, and the #1 person on that list I was pounding for in last years draft in the form of Center (Humphreys). If JD doesn't get Linderbaum in this years draft, then it's downhill from there.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I'm still pissed we didn't draft Mahomes or Jackson.  We could have traded back and got Jones and maybe Pitts or Slater.  We got Zach.  Hope he finds his Mojo.  If he doesn't were not sniffing a wild card birtth for 5 to 10 years.  

Mahomes/Watson was the worst whiff. We needed a QB but passed because of Hackenberg. Watson's current (and unforeseeable, so far as I know) legal issues aside, both have played like potential HOFers.

Jackson, yes in hindsight I also wish we took him but it was never going to happen. Macc (IIRC) never traded down in the first and was a slave to "consensus best player in the draft" hype. Once Darnold fell to him, he could not resist. And most -- including myself, so mea culpa -- thought he lucked into the right guy. If only Larry David was our GM! 

11 hours ago, Facts said:

Every time I watch Mac Jones I get infuriated. The kid is good. No qualifiers. No “well he’s on the Patriots”. He’s just good.

He has garbage at WR and TE and he’s still good. He gets the ball out quick. He makes his line look better than they are.

JD is not only like 5-70 (hyperbole) as a GM, but to whiff so badly on the #2 pick and then to watch your nemesis take a franchise QB 13 picks after you should be a fireable offense.

Im not saying Zach can’t be good or won’t be good. But Mac is ALREADY good.

FIRE JD.

not to burst your love for mac jones but put him behind the sieve on an oline the jets had in the first few games and he's be doing just as badly as any other qb put back there.  he's a good player and he fits the patsie system pretty well.  it also can't be overstated that the patsies are a well established team.  they have lots of on field leadership and even though the receivers aren't in the same league as juedy or guys like fitzgerald, they too have been in the same system for a couple of seasons and know where to be.  contrast that to the jets where just about everyone, coaches on down, are learning a new system.

honestly i would've liked to see the jets pick jones just to have another alabama connection.

• Upvote 1

Mac Jones reminds me of Baker Mayfield. He was a very safe option at QB and could step right in and be a quality starter.

Unfortunately Mayfield never really got much better even regressed as the league caught up with him. As a result he’s probably not getting a big second contract.

Wilson, Lance, and Fields were total swing for the fences types. One of them will likely hit and be the best of the bunch while the others bust. 

Passing on QBs on draft Jamal Adams was just inexcusable.  

But in the case of Wilson vs Jones, to me it’s more Jets vs. BB/Patriots.   

Obviously the entire Jets operation is not on the same class.  Do we rip it up now?  Based on past experience, I think the bigger problem is talent evaluation and acquisition, and positional value, rather than coaching.  Lafleur and staff seem to be coaching.   Saleh and Jeff U have coached decent defenses.  I think the underlying problem is JD and/or his staff. They just need more good players.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GloryDays1985 said:

Mac Jones reminds me of Baker Mayfield. He was a very safe option at QB and could step right in and be a quality starter.

Unfortunately Mayfield never really got much better even regressed as the league caught up with him. As a result he’s probably not getting a big second contract.

Wilson, Lance, and Fields were total swing for the fences types. One of them will likely hit and be the best of the bunch while the others bust. 

Mayfield is like Cousins.  The Browns are going to have to franchise him, because they will never agree on a value.   

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

What the fans wanted is irrelevant. If Jones turns out to be better than Wilson then that's absolutely a damning indictment of Douglas.

He had the pick of all but one of the QB's. He obviously didn't bow to media/fan pressure or he'd have taken Justin Fields but his job is to get the right guy, not the most popular. 

I didn't want Fields but the decision wasn't mine and I don't evaluate players for a living. If he turns out to be the best QB then I can still be pissed at Douglas for doing a sh*tty job. 

As of now Jones is head and shoulders above the rookie QB's and the Pats have made out like bandits getting him where he did. Ironically it's pretty certain that they only got him because the 49ers did indeed bow to fan pressure. It was a pretty badly kept secret that Shanahan preferred Jones, which Lance's playing time is pretty reflective of. 

Mac Jones looks really good and pretty sure everyone felt  he was the most pro ready. Yet, once again, New England put him in the perfect position to succeed. They went out and snagged the two best TE in FA, a move that would have helped ANY of the young QBs coming out. I said it before, the team that gets the young QBis likely more important than the young QB himself. Couple exceptions like Herbert and  Burrow but ultimately it’s a big part of it. 

I also think any QB this young dumb coaching staff got would meet a similar fate as Zach and even Mike White. I also think Mike White could run that Patriots offense pretty damn well and when other teams changed defenses? That coaching staff would knows how to adjust, our dumb dumbs do not.  

Mac Jones playing here would have been a poor man’s Mike White and we would be reading about how his said his girlfriend is about him playing for the Jets. This fan base would be screaming for the Front offenses head for  not drafting someone else. Just the way it is. 

skipped to the end just to say that you, the OP, could go be the QB on the pats and do the same.  he throws the ball behind or barely beyond the LOS and his skill players get him all the yardage.  he went to a team with the greatest head coach of all time and i'm willing to now say the greatest OC of all time.  he went to a team with good, talented veterans and a good defense.  if you put ANY of the rookie QBs from the 2021 draft on that team, they'd be doing the same.

• WTF? 1

14 hours ago, Facts said:

Every time I watch Mac Jones I get infuriated. The kid is good. No qualifiers. No “well he’s on the Patriots”. He’s just good.

He has garbage at WR and TE and he’s still good. He gets the ball out quick. He makes his line look better than they are.

JD is not only like 5-70 (hyperbole) as a GM, but to whiff so badly on the #2 pick and then to watch your nemesis take a franchise QB 13 picks after you should be a fireable offense.

FIRE JD.

Matt Cassel - Activation Quotes

15 hours ago, Facts said:

FIRE JD.

Facts, please pull up a post from last year stating that you were all in on mac jones.

If your gonna talk this level smack, then produce proof that he was your #1.

Otherwise youre just monday morning quaterbacking. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

So the Jax, SF and Chicago GMs should be fired as well?  Give me a break.  It’s been 10 games and Mac is exactly who everyone thought he’d be — a high floor/low ceiling QB.   Zach probably has as many highlight worthy throws as Mac (in 3 fewer games); and the Patriots are not winning because of him but because of his supporting cast.  And let’s not overlook the best-in-class coaching infrastructure he has in place whereas Zach and Trevor are working with unstable situations.  

Patriots are not winning because of him - I do not agree with this.  Is Mac the sole reason that if the Patriots win tonight they will tie their season total in wins from last season?  No.  He is part of the solution.  The QB play is 100% better.

The floor ceiling narrative is complete BS.  What was Brady's ceiling?  Brees'?  Wilson's?  Rodgers'?  No one knows what he will become.

Will he, like Brady, Wilson and Brees, put in the work to master his craft?  Will he work in the off-season to lose the dad bod?  Will he take nutrition more serous and change his pre-game meal from spaghetti and steak?  Will he, like Burrow, work on his arm strength?  If he works on his game, arm strength and adds 10 pounds of muscle, he will be the same size as Rodgers.  Again, that does not mean anything.

Maybe, Mac is the second coming of Cousins'.  Maybe, he is Chad Pennington.  Maybe, Mac becomes much more.  We do not know. 

What we know is, one of the knocks on him coming out of college was his supporting talent at Alabama.  He is going to struggle because he will not have the same level of talent.  He doesn't and it has not affected him.  There have been bad throws and decisions, but nothing in his play were you go he cannot overcome that.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

What a shocker that if you put a guy on a better team with better coaching he's going to be better early on.  This is what's wrong with New York fans.

I cant stand this stupid argument.

As if you put Aaron Rodgers on this team he would suddenly suck.

NO HE WOULD NOT.

Does coaching HELP? Yes. Does coaching suddenly make terrible players look like All-Pro's? NO!!!!

If it did, then no team would ever spend a 1st round pick on a QB.

They would just grab players from the scrap bin and make the coach make him be great. 

PS, how did Cam Newton look with that same great coaching staff?

Bad.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Facts, please pull up a post from last year stating that you were all in on mac jones.

If your gonna talk this level smack, then produce proof that he was your #1.

Otherwise youre just monday morning quaterbacking. 

I'm not paid millions of dollars to be a GM.

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

not to burst your love for mac jones but put him behind the sieve on an oline the jets had in the first few games and he's be doing just as badly as any other qb put back there.  he's a good player and he fits the patsie system pretty well.  it also can't be overstated that the patsies are a well established team.  they have lots of on field leadership and even though the receivers aren't in the same league as juedy or guys like fitzgerald, they too have been in the same system for a couple of seasons and know where to be.  contrast that to the jets where just about everyone, coaches on down, are learning a new system.

honestly i would've liked to see the jets pick jones just to have another alabama connection.

3 minutes ago, Facts said:

I cant stand this stupid argument.

As if you put Aaron Rodgers on this team he would suddenly suck.

NO HE WOULD NOT.

Does coaching HELP? Yes. Does coaching suddenly make terrible players look like All-Pro's? NO!!!!

If it did, then no team would ever spend a 1st round pick on a QB.

They would just grab players from the scrap bin and make the coach make him be great. 

PS, how did Cam Newton look with that same great coaching staff?

Bad.

This argument also requires an Evel Kneivelesque jump in logic -- that a QB that performs poorly on a poor team can be assumed to be good on a good team.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

So does BB get no credit for Mac Jones play this year?

A little, but I think Josh McDaniels should get more. I think Jones will become an above average QB throughout his career. When you draft a QB, you have to draft someone that can be special. I think Zach will outperform Mac Jones and have the better career. Initially Jones will win more, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Teams matter in football. His Oline and defense is a ton better. I wonder how many extra possessions he has had than any Jets QB because their D is solid. If you're going to compare Jones to Wilson, wait a few years. People forget very quickly, but Zach looked really good against the Pats before he got hurt. His passes were crisp - they missed a field goal and then scored a TD right after he went out of the game. He was on a nice drive and drove them down the field twice in a row.

Whiffing on a first round QB shouldn't be a fireable offense (although it often is). It's the hardest position to extrapolate in sport. But failing to appropriately manage the QB2 situation when you're going into the season with a rookie lotto ticket QB should be. It was foreseeable, avoidable, and easy/cheap to rectify.

JD thought that rolling with Mike White as QB2 and praying Zach didn't get hurt (or sucks so bad he needs to be "hidden" from the Fins), then as soon as he does, expending a 6th round draft pick on Joe Flacco to be a better choice than...

Giving the Jags that same 6th rounder before the season began for Gardner Minshew.

Told You So Epix GIF by PENNYWORTH

sword execution GIF by History UK

It is possible to praise Mac Jones and:

1) Not bash other rookie QBs.

2) Acknowledge the positive situation he landed in.

3) Understand that he probably won't be the best QB in this class in 10 years.

The kid looks good. If he was performing like this in New York our fans would be calling to enshrine him in Canton after one season. Jones vs Wilson is apples to oranges at this point. Many of the reasons have already been stated in this thread.