What is the most embarrassing moment in Jets' history?

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have read in several places that it was cocaine, but either way, what a disaster. 

I'm just going from memory.   My recollection from back then was that it was pot.  Let me see if I can find something on it.

5 minutes ago, Origen said:

Oh man... that just makes it even stupider. 

In today's world absolutely.  Back then, though, there was still a stigma of athletes using any drug, including grass.   Meanwhile, NFL guys were using uppers liken Pez or Tic Tacs.

• Upvote 1

@slimjasi  @Origen  Just found this item.  Not definitive, but it does reinforce the Marino pot rumor.

Before Brett Favre broke it, Dolphins legend Dan Marino held the NFL record for most career touchdown passes at 420, but did a little 420 help him get there? That's what former NFL offensive lineman Kyle Turley claimed yesterday on the Dan LeBatard Show. Turley doesn't know for sure but said that stories of Marino sparking up before games is the stuff of common locker room lore.

Turley was on LeBatard's show promoting a Super Bowl party he's hosting, and things turned to the illicit while he bragged about how he drinks whiskey straight out of the bottle and smokes medical marijuana. Turley claims he smoked during his career, though never before games, but he heard that Marino did.

"I heard Dan Marino did, down there in Miami. That's a rumor, but I don't know. You'd have to ask Danny. All those old pictures of him and his old hair, I wouldn't pass it by him."

Come on Turley, it was Miami in the '80s, everyone had big hair.

"It's locker room talk," Turley said. "I've heard a few things. I was going to do it one time in my prime, but definitely not when I wasn't in my prime. It never happened. I was facing too many guys I needed to take care of, so I wanted to be at my best. Not that I wouldn't have been at my best. I've actually heard from guys that it actually slows things down so you can see things a little better and that's where the whole Marino thing came from. And I don't know if it's true or not, but it's something I heard that that was something that he was able to get relaxed before the games and not be too edgy and calm and collected and be able to see things more clearly on the field."

Turley also claimed that some of his coaches drank shots of Jack and bumps of coke before games.

Cannabis usually slows down reaction time and impairs hand-eye coordination, so we're dubious about the claims. Then again maybe just a little of the right strain could calm a player down. Though, we're going to have to hear more than hearsay from an NFL hasbeen to believe that Marino's 420 was actually helped by some 420.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/kyle-turley-claims-dan-marino-smoked-pot-before-games-6559809

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I've always thought the fake spike was just massively overblown as a play.  I was not a fan of the team at the time it happened but seeing the constant replays it was nothing, the DB covering the guy who scored was essentially in normal coverage and got beat, the pass was a two step quick pass, there was a couple but not all of the jets dline standing there.

Just a massively overrated play in the annuls of the NFL and jets history.

As for the answer to the question?  Butt fumble of course.  It had everything, horrible bizarre play, national tv, jets getting hammered, play results in the other team scoring.

I think the fake spike is less embarrassing of a play but more so it’s such a painful play for so many.  Leading that game 24-6, about to take over 1st place, then blowing the lead with it culminating in the fake spike.  Then losing the rest of our games, firing Carroll, hiring Kotite, 4-28 the next 2 years.  To me the fake spike is the dagger that killed our promising season and ushered in Kotite era.  We went from so high to so low so very fast.

As a 10 year old, up 24-6 I went outside to play because I figured we had it in the bag……silly child I was. Then just a little while later I was called inside by my parents, “Uhh you might want to come inside, the Jets might lose!”  My first Jet heart break moment.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Other than the Buttfumble quarter, the only other time I was viscerally embarrassed to be a Jets fan was this season’s Colts game. Watching the Colts backs go for nine yards per carry was just straight humiliating. Zero effort from the defense, no fight. Just a gutless performance where the announcers were speaking of the Jets with pity in the first quarter. 

So, you don't remember when the Herm Jets let the Raiders start a game with 30 straight Running plays for about 1000 yards and 3 TDs??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

I think the fake spike is less embarrassing of a play but more so it’s such a painful play for so many.  Leading that game 24-6, about to take over 1st place, then blowing the lead with it culminating in the fake spike.  Then losing the rest of our games, firing Carroll, hiring Kotite, 4-28 the next 2 years.  To me the fake spike is the dagger that killed our promising season and ushered in Kotite era.  We went from so high to so low so very fast.

As a 10 year old, up 24-6 I went outside to play because I figured we had it in the bag……silly child I was. Then just a little while later I was called inside by my parents, “Uhh you might want to come inside, the Jets might lose!”  My first Jet heart break moment.

I was in high school and at that game with 3 Dolphin fan friends and another Jets fan. My Dolphin fan friends all left for the parking lot  in the 3rd quarter to go smoke cheap pot and chug Molson Ices and had no idea what happened until I got back to the car.  Worst part was that those assholes were too messed up to drive, so I couldn't even shotgun a beer in frustration since I had to take the keys. 

1 hour ago, Rob Moore said:

That was the Mud Bowl for me. 11 years old and devastated.  

• Upvote 1

Other than the Buttfumble quarter, the only other time I was viscerally embarrassed to be a Jets fan was this season’s Colts game. Watching the Colts backs go for nine yards per carry was just straight humiliating. Zero effort from the defense, no fight. Just a gutless performance where the announcers were speaking of the Jets with pity in the first quarter. 
Guess your were a foetus during the spike game?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

When you think about it , the past 50 years have been one big fat Butt fumble. The only good thing about that play is that it made the Fake Spike seem not so bad. Wonder what Jets travesty will make us forget the Butt Fumble ? You all know it's coming soon. I shudder at the thought.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JiFapono said:

- Jets fans chanting for Warren Sapp, the Jets take Kyle Brady.

- JiF celebrating like he won the lottery because the Jets were going to draft Ed Reed only to select, Bryan Thomas

- Fake Spike

- Doug Brien

- Play to win the game 

- It's a privilege to be a New York Jets beat writer

- Butt fumble game

- Rex Ryan revenge season

- 1st live game after moving to Jax, it was 21-0 before I got to my seat.  41-0 Jags.

Those top my list.

I have a special place of dislike for Chad Pennington.  The way that noodle arm was almost "revered" made me want to retch.

17 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I can’t imagine the outrage if Rex, Bowles, Gase or Saleh let a rookie running back throw his first ever pass on an option play with playoffs on the line and little time left needing a touchdown to win

But hey Parcells is a HOF

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I had no issue whatsoever with that play.  We were 1-15 the year before and we were in the playoff hunt the next season (and up 10-0 in the 2H of the AFC CG the year after that).   One thing that consistently surprises me is how Jet fans seem to dislike BP.  

16 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Watching this fan base fawn over joe Douglas and pronounce him a genius and a saviour....because reasons I still havent understood.

Guilty as charged.  I also felt that way about Sam.  But this is a franchise badly in need of a savior so maybe I just want to see it in the people we bring in.  I honestly did love the JD hire though.  Unlike Macc (Texans), he worked for a franchise I want to emulate (Ravens.  And the Eagles are generally a tough team as well).  

15 hours ago, munchmemory said:

No.   Back then the rumor was Marino was a pot head.   

15 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have read in several places that it was cocaine, but either way, what a disaster. 

I think I read those same stories (that it was coke they were worried about)

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was drinking a lot during the Herm years.

For as embarrassing as Herm was in many ways, he had a surprising amount of success.  He won the division once (which for this franchise is absolutely monumental) plus 2 playoff games.  And those Doug Brien misses cost him a shot at the AFC CG (and also led to a horrible 2nd round pick the next season).  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

For as embarrassing as Herm was in many ways, he had a surprising amount of success.  He won the division once (which for this franchise is absolutely monumental) plus 2 playoff games.  And those Doug Brien misses cost him a shot at the AFC CG (and also led to a horrible 2nd round pick the next season).  

Yeah, in retrospect (and given what we’ve had since) he wasn’t all that bad. I was just pissed that they handed everything Parcells had built over to a first-timer who was more style than substance. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, in retrospect (and given what we’ve had since) he wasn’t all that bad. I was just pissed that they handed everything Parcells had built over to a first-timer who was more style than substance. 

Agreed.  Though it was handed over to Al Groh first.  And that's another embarrassing thing for this franchise.  Al Groh even used us and ran away to Virginia after 1 season.

• Sympathy 1

A couple more embarrassing moments:

The Jets' relationship sours with #1 overall pick Keyshawn, who gets traded to Tampa and wins a Superbowl.  The Jets have the famed "flashlight" game to improve to 4-0 and then miss the playoffs on the last game of the year.  Then Al Groh bolts

Darrelle Revis wins his only Superbowl as a Patriot.  Then he re-signs here, plays at half speed, and collects that huge payday he was looking for when he left us the first time.