Is Wilson mentally weak or is our coach just beyond awful?

kmnj

5 hours ago, kmnj said:

imagine coming out and stating your highly drafted QB who is going to be "the face of the franchise " has a confidence problem. Is Wilson so soft and weak that he is scared to play or has a "confidence problem" ? I am not sure if Wilson is legit or not but I 100% certain the kid is not short on confidence and if he was the coach should not be outing him which would yes you guessed it lower his confidence even more. 

why the hell would the head coach state in public  about having a confidence problem.  If I was Wilson, I would say hey coach FU - I am confident the schemes you are using are terrible and you might be the worst coach ever and the poor line our GM assembled is going to get me killed. It took me out and then White. 

Joe and Saleh have mismanaged the QB position from day one this year. Wilson should have been sat from day one while Joe put together an actual line where he would not get killed behind instead Joe and Co rolled Wilson out there and even after he got destroyed early on kept throwing him back there. Enter Mike White who Joe and our coach were crowning after one game then after a bad game gave up on him and brought in a washed jag in Flacco that the Jets did not bring back after showing how bad he was last year.

When Flacco gets killed out there this week and shows bad who is next does joe trade to get morgan back again?

I think right now it’s the moron coach

imagine coming out and stating your highly drafted QB who is going to be "the face of the franchise " has a confidence problem. Is Wilson so soft and weak that he is scared to play or has a "confidence problem" ? I am not sure if Wilson is legit or not but I 100% certain the kid is not short on confidence and if he was the coach should not be outing him which would yes you guessed it lower his confidence even more. 
why the hell would the head coach state in public  about having a confidence problem.  If I was Wilson, I would say hey coach FU - I am confident the schemes you are using are terrible and you might be the worst coach ever and the poor line our GM assembled is going to get me killed. It took me out and then White. 
Joe and Saleh have mismanaged the QB position from day one this year. Wilson should have been sat from day one while Joe put together an actual line where he would not get killed behind instead Joe and Co rolled Wilson out there and even after he got destroyed early on kept throwing him back there. Enter Mike White who Joe and our coach were crowning after one game then after a bad game gave up on him and brought in a washed jag in Flacco that the Jets did not bring back after showing how bad he was last year.
When Flacco gets killed out there this week and shows bad who is next does joe trade to get morgan back again?

Its not Wilson

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Half the fanbase hated him before he took a snap. 

thats it right there.

now after that one game by White they think he is better than Zach. they want White no matter what. they say start White until after 1 bad game but when they get that game they move the goalpost. make up excuses for him to play some more.

• Post of the Week 1

Half the fanbase hated him before he took a snap. This was a 2-4 week injury, they are going to be safe and make it 4 weeks. All much to do about nothing. You guys realize that he played 1 game and 1 quarter since the Titans game where he looked awesome? Vs Atlanta he was clearly off but still brought the team back to within 3 with 7 mins to go. Then he was looking sharp vs NE before the injury. The media/fans are creating this narrative in their heads that Wilson has regressed or some sh*t when in fact it’s the opposite. 
Half the fan base hates any QB .. hell more tha half hate Watson, Darnold and Fields.

Im saddened by the hate for Flacco ... seems like a good dude diing his job to fill in ... Mike White is another 'QB' over 50% hate.

• Sympathy 1

thats it right there.
now after that one game by White they think he is better than Zach. they want White no matter what. they say start White until after 1 bad game but when they get that game they move the goalpost. make up excuses for him to play some more.
Dont fret thinking bipeds realize Mike White for what he is.

• Upvote 1

There's a reason the coach was passed up multiple times by other teams.
Its really a bummer .. i like the guy ... and the messaging ... but much like giving out participation trophies in high school ... it has ZERO relevance in the real world.

The NFL is not a touchy feely league and his positive only messaging doesnt seem to be working.

Quote was misconstrued by Cimini by the way, here's the full quote 
“He’s progressed well. He’ll be doubtful for the game,” Jets coach Robert Saleh said. “He’s getting better, he’s putting in extra work. He’s getting an individual session at the end of every practice, and some of the receivers sticking behind to make sure he’s getting his work in, to try to get him back not only to full health, but confidence with regards to the knee, his fundamentals, recapturing everything. It’s been a month now since he’s played, and his practices are limited. He gets some snaps with the show team, but it’s not all of them. So we’re just trying to monitor and make sure he gets back to full health and confidence.”
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/19/robert-saleh-jets-need-zach-wilson-to-get-back-to-full-health-and-confidence/
THANK YOU

Context is everything...people here just LOVE to go overboard and jump down the man's throat every chance they get. I swear I've never seen such a bunch of whining asssssses. It's like they haven't been paying attention all off season, got their hopes up and then when their ridiculous expectations weren't met, the brand new coach needs to be fired 9 games in, the rookie is a bust and they need to set fire to the GM because he isn't batting 100% on picks and free agents. ...you know because ALL the other GM's are batting 1000 when trying to reverse damn near 40 years of horrible football and culture. Yes, I said 40 because there were some good years sprinkled in there.

Yes. The coach looks like a rookie coach.
Yes. The rookie QB looks like a rookie QB.
Yes. The GM has some hits and misses.

Be mad at yourself for believing that any of the above wasn't really true...even though you already knew better. You gassed yourself up now suck it up, what was real before is still real.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 3

In all seriousness, when? where did Saleh say Wilson had a confidence problem?
Do you a link the article/video?  I just want to get a sense of context to try and understand why in the hell ANY coach would EVER say that about ANY player - let alone his 22 year old, rookie QB....
If he came out and publically said, we're not playing ZW or we're handling him differently -  because he has a confidence problem - he should be fired.  
He didnt...that was bullsh*t

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

THANK YOU

Context is everything...people here just LOVE to go overboard and jump down the man's throat every chance they get. I swear I've never seen such a bunch of whining asssssses. It's like they haven't been paying attention all off season, got their hopes up and then when their ridiculous expectations weren't met, the brand new coach needs to be fired 9 games in, the rookie is a bust and they need to set fire to the GM because he isn't batting 100% on picks and free agents. ...you know because ALL the other GM's are batting 1000 when trying to reverse damn near 40 years of horrible football and culture. Yes, I said 40 because there were some good years sprinkled in there.

Yes. The coach looks like a rookie coach.
Yes. The rookie QB looks like a rookie QB.
Yes. The GM has some hits and misses.

Be mad at yourself for believing that any of the above wasn't really true...even though you already knew better. You gassed yourself up now suck it up, what was real before is still real.

sad part is they will keep telling this lie to themselves and it will be truth to them. so if you argue 4 months from now about Wilson they will bring up he had no confidence and we will have to google this to prove them wrong. someone should write Cimini and tell him he needs to put out a correction and not false sh*t.

• Sympathy 1

Of course Zach Wilson has taken a confidence hit. If he hasn't, that means he's cocky to the point of unreliable. All players, good and bad, take confidence hits during their careers. That doesn't mean they're weak.

Steve Young was told by his coach in college that he would go nowhere because he couldn't throw. Did he take a hit on his confidence? Yes. That's not the important part, however. What's important is what he did with it. He used it as motivation to become the best passer on the roster. He ended up becoming one of the best dual threat quarterbacks of all time.

Zach wasn't playing great, and pretty much a nobody who was jumping practice squads comes up and makes history with the same roster. He probably isn't as confident now as he was at the start of the year. Nobody would be. This doesn't mean he's mentally weak or something like that. If he submits to this drop in confidence and just pouts about or whatever, then you can say he's mentally weak. But if he uses that drop of confidence as fuel in a fire, he will improve greatly.

This is the sign of a great player. All players lose confidence at times. The bad players will sit around and do nothing, and the great players will turn it back on its heels and use it to fuel their fire.

I have a friend who has NFL connections, and she reports that the view of NFL insiders is that ZW is a nice player but not one worthy of the 2 pick.  That would be consistent with the recent draft redos which admit that the Jets should have taken Fields or Jones.  Supposedly, Saleh was not wild about the ZW pick, but JD and particularly Woody was.  You can see how Woody would fall for the dimples, etc.   Davis Mills was picked in the third round and has done better on a team of Jets rejects than Wilson has.  Wilson could end up fine, like a Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I don’t see him being an elite QB.  But he should have played better than he has.  The rumor is that he is scared. 

The view of my friend’s contacts is that the biggest problem is Woody.  He does something in that building to make  good people bad and bad people worse.  It does not make a lot of sense to replace people, whether decent, good or great, when they are only going to work for Woody and get the same results.  

With respect to the current Jets regime that Woody hired, I am no longer an “its all going to work out” optimist.  JD’s judgment in draft picks is flawed.  In 2020 his picks were downright awful in retrospect-even if Becton works out it was a bad pick in hindsight.   In 2021 his picks were better but he was in a tough spot not having fully rebuilt at least the OL.  He tried harder on the DL but suffered some bad luck. It is not a great look that the Bengals (Bungles) basically traded Lawson to us for Hendrickson, for the same money.  They knew Lawson was injury prone.   The average height and weight of his 2021 draft picks was way too low.  Wilson was too risky of a pick unless he was given an absolutely stellar OL, and the way to compensate for that is by sitting him for a year or so until you get there.  Woody was not having that. 

If I was building a scheme for a team playing in the Meadowlands I would copy the Steelers or Ravens.  3-4 defense that is tough against the run and takes advantage of good coaching/scheming, and a power running/deep passing game.   The Packers at least run the 3-4 with a WCO.  We have neither.  The Saleh/Carroll/Herm Edwards/Bud Carson “swarm” defense requires great players-at least the 3-4 you pick the TYPE of players, and spend money on the coaches to coach it.  Saleh is now screwed with a defense with no safeties and LBS.  How many draft picks do we need to spend next year on those while we still try and fill 3-4 OL spots?  

So what I do would if I were Woody?  I think he needs to show the NFL that he can hire people who can succeed, which in this case is not the team with the highest negative point differential.   That means to me building the OL and the defense.  Its a shame Cole and Crowder have expiring contracts.   JD stays for now, but heads on his staff need to roll.  Find Scot M and bring him in as a consultant, like the Browns did. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Wilson is not the problem. Not even close. The problem is the Jets - from the owner, to the GM, to the head coach and the assistant coaches. There's NOBODY on this staff with an ounce of experience. Who didnt see this coming when Wilson was announced the week 1 starter right after he was drafted?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't disagree with you.  At the same time if Wilson has a confidence problem then.... Wilson has a confidence problem.  What good does hiding it or being afraid to talk about it do?  Mims had stomach problems, Maye has an achilles problem, Wilson has a confidence problem.... that's what they have and when they fix their sh!t they get another chance on the field.  I'm 100% behind Zach Wilson but if he needs to work on something then keep him off the field.  Hackenberg was confident but had an accuracy problem.... Jets were smart to keep him off the field.

Did you (or anyone else) take it as a confidence problem mentally or his knee? I thought he was referring to his knee

18 hours ago, kmnj said:

It's still his first year.  Not every QB is going to be a star right away.  (Doesn't mean ZW will be a star of course).

• Upvote 1

why do post garbage like this - just read the article and saleh was clearly referring to him having confidence in his knee being right - yet you post a long missive about it being confidence in his abilities as a qb - got any debunked conspiracy theories you care to share - sheesh!!!!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1