Full time officials is asinine

Uncle Nicco

I can’t believe this is the proposed solution to the incompetent referring mafia we currently have 

yes let’s make these jokes even harder to fire than they currently are 

Full time incompetence is as bad as part time incompetence 

refs need to be held to an impossibly high standard

The solution is simply to staff up “sky refs” 20-30 guys that are watching every call. Have every single call be reviewed by the sky ref committee  in real time

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Review every fall? Welcome to 5 hour games with absolutely no flow at all. 

Nico likes to watch Jets embarrassments unfold in agonizing slow motion.

I wish Nico was a stock so I could short him. Has he ever been right?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Full time refs is the only way that I can see making the on-field officiating better.

Why shouldn't refs be looking at film all week leading up to their game assignment? Reviewing personnel packages, tendencies, situational line splits, blocking assignments, receiver behaviors, etc., etc., etc. Prepare so they know 90% of what they'll see Sunday (Thu, Mon, etc.). Same as coaches, players, broadcasters, reporters and everyone else who makes their living off of this enormous business.

• Upvote 4

The NFL should do one game after the super bowl called the 'no refs game' where there are no refs and see what happens
So everyone can hold, PI, release downfield prior to a pass, all formations are fine, everyone can line up wherever they want, etc.? I think they have that league already, it's called middle school flag football.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicco said:

I can’t believe this is the proposed solution to the incompetent referring mafia we currently have 

The solution is simply to staff up “sky refs” 20-30 guys that are watching every call. Have every single call be reviewed by the sky ref committee  in real time

the NFL just like the rest of the major sports are controlled by the gambling mafia, this is why you have ridiculous calls in every game to make sure things just "fall into place"

• Haha 1

Full time refs will make no difference at all, none whatsoever. 

It is the league mandating how games are to be called and the horrendously awful rules.

For such a big time money making league the rules are crap and almost without exception if they try and fix something they make it worse.

They "Grudne" it if you will.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

My personal opinion is I can’t stand all the replay reviews and the rules for what is a catch and what isn’t a catch should go back to the way it was when it was so much simpler none of the BS the ground can’t cause a fumble when you have to have possession of a catch complete the catch then if you fall and hit the ground after you had possession of catch and ball wiggles a bit it’s ruled incomplete. If ground can’t cause a fumble why would the scenario of possession of catch two feet in bounds fall to ground and ball moves rule incomplete. Just seems like a huge contradiction to me  . Like Madden said “ one knee equals two feet” KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID 

11 hours ago, isired said:

Full time refs is the only way that I can see making the on-field officiating better.

Why shouldn't refs be looking at film all week leading up to their game assignment? Reviewing personnel packages, tendencies, situational line splits, blocking assignments, receiver behaviors, etc., etc., etc. Prepare so they know 90% of what they'll see Sunday (Thu, Mon, etc.). Same as coaches, players, broadcasters, reporters and everyone else who makes their living off of this enormous business.

I agree with you, and the idea of them scouting the teams they’ll be ref’ing that weekend is a really good one. Not only to watch the teams as you said, but to see how other crews are calling the games. That, along with weekly reviews of close and bad calls, could lead to more consistent officiating. 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Full time refs will make no difference at all, none whatsoever. 

It is the league mandating how games are to be called and the horrendously awful rules.

For such a big time money making league the rules are crap and almost without exception if they try and fix something they make it worse.

They "Grudne" it if you will.

I think they like all the confusion and randomness involving penalties it makes it easy to manipulate games from their corporate offices.....bad calls and rules are not even questioned in the media or by announcers anymore they have just given up because they are confused.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think they like all the confusion and randomness involving penalties it makes it easy to manipulate games from their corporate offices.....bad calls and rules are not even questioned in the media or by announcers anymore they have just given up because they are confused.
The flexability in the penalty parameters is designed to 'fix' NFL games ... its undeniable.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Uncle Nicco said:

wait a  minute weren't we arguing about darnold and stuff on your good bye thread? Welcome back!!

I used to work with an nfl ref

And I’m a firefighter, so these guys aren’t exactly brain surgeons on the side

always thought it was strange that such a highly scrutinized job was “part time”

anyway, the guy was really smart and went on to become chief

i think he is still a replay ref, has to be in his 70’s by now