..should the Jets scrap their defensive scheme ?

rox

- The Jets have surrendered a whopping 175 points over their past four games, including at least 45 in each of their three losses over that span. But defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich insists the middle of another disintegrating season is not the time to scrap the defensive system he and first-year head coach Robert Saleh have put in place in their first year with the Jets. 

- The Jets rank last in the NFL in both yards allowed per game (417.1) and points allowed per game (32.9) through Week 10. 

-  Cornerback Javelin Guidry revealed Wednesday that the defense convened as a unit for a players-only meeting on Tuesday’s off-day, but eight-year veteran linebacker C.J. Mosley insisted such get-togethers are a weekly occurrence and “nothing out of the ordinary.” The four-time Pro Bowler also agreed with Ulbrich that the Jets don’t need to drastically alter their defensive system because of their recent poor showings.“I haven’t been on a team where we haven’t had injuries, and I’ve never been on a defense that threw out the whole defense, just because we had some injuries,” Mosley said. “That’s part of football and part of any sport. There’s going to be injuries, and that’s why every guy gets coached the same way. 

- - https://nypost.com/2021/11/18/jets-not-planning-to-overhaul-bottom-dwelling-unit/

No, they are getting better at some things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/nfl/2021/11/jets-ulbrich-focused-on-fundamentals-not-overhauling-d/amp/

We’re not going to make huge, fundamental changes,” Ulbrich said. “And I know that might (tick) some people off because they’re like, ‘Change it, it’s all (lousy).’ But there are some base fundamentals we’re getting better at.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Wish the gaps weren’t so wide on the line. Get tighter protect the linebackers string the runs out wide get run support from corners then let backers run and make the tackle 

Saleh needs to pick each game — go all out to stop the run or pass — depending on the opponent. Take one of those things away and dare the offense to beat us with the other. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

No, they are getting better at some things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/nfl/2021/11/jets-ulbrich-focused-on-fundamentals-not-overhauling-d/amp/

We’re not going to make huge, fundamental changes,” Ulbrich said. “And I know that might (tick) some people off because they’re like, ‘Change it, it’s all (lousy).’ But there are some base fundamentals we’re getting better at.

This is still what it’s all about this year. This can be a difficult defense for everyone to get on the same page. It was always going to take time for them to get it worked out. It’s no huge surprise that they’re struggling, especially with the injuries. But this season is about installations and evaluations and then trying to fill the holes they’ve discovered with all those draft picks and cap room next year. I doubt we’ll have as many people crying out for an all offense draft again next year. 

• Upvote 2

The answer is sort of a yes and no. There is no issue with having a base concept and underlying "system"

The problem is when you insist on using your system when it is really not the best fit for your players.

Unfortunately it is exactly what LaFleur and Saleh are doing and to make it worse they have zero plan to change.

Instead of adapting the scheme to their players they want the players to grow into their system. If I was a NFL owner I would never hire coaches with this mindset.

What makes Belichick so great (and yes he us undeniably great) is that each year his offense and defense are different and unique to the players he has. It takes him a while to find it but once he does it maximizes the talent he has. If his roster would be best in an attacking 3-4 man coverage scheme he would run that, if it was best at Cover 3 zone he would run that. He has the core of what he would like but does not stubbornly stick to it.  His players can "do their job" because the job they are asked to do is something within their talent and skills.

I see none of that with Saleh or LaFleur. Maybe reality will change them and they will get off their systems, but hearing Saleh I doubt it.

I full expect the cycle to repeat again after the 2023 season.

• Upvote 2

It would be great if they could actually game plan for a specific opponent and not put guys like Guidry one on one on Diggs with no help at all. This is the worst defense in the league and possibly of all time. They need to make changes. Sticking your head in the sand and saying everything is going to be just fine is not the answer but it is the Jet thing to do. This head coach is awful at everything. This is his "defense". 

• Upvote 1

no defensive expert here but i think it would be foolish to scrap the scheme.  they need to find out who can play it and who can't.  it's been said the dline is trying to do much and the players aren't staying in their lanes.  it could be considering how much they've been run against.  they should probably put quincy williams back in for daivs.