I decided to try plant based hot dogs....

Beerfish

I decided, with trepidation....to try plant based hot dogs. I mean since my youth I have been used to good old hot dogs made of extra pig snouts and enough msg to last a month in one hot dog.

Right off the bat I wrinkled my nose and narrowed my eyes at the package of plant dogs, 'They are too small' I immediately thought. And yes they were small even for small hot dogs, what kind of outrage is this? I do not expect jumbo dogs but these things are slightly bigger than breakfast sausages. :ytho:

I open the package and they are glomed together, and tough to separate...another minus point from me. I just know I am going to hate these things.

So I stick two dogs into my new air fryer oven and prepare my hot dog buns, mayo, hot n spicy mustard and sliced cheese.

As they are cooking I raise my eyebrows and am surprised that they are starting to wrinkle like a good dog should and skin bubbling a bit.

Timer goes off, dogs are ready and now for the taste test.

I was very surprised that the taste and consistency was good, not as good as the dogs from my childhood but still as good as current day hot dogs.

So conclusion: Plant based dogs are small but a very good replication taste and consistency wise. Would buy again.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I put mayo on everything, I am Canadian.  It's the law.

It's funny, I LOVE mayo--didn't as a kid and the first time I ever had it was in Canada--on a burger, couldn't eat it.

Now, I could eat it on a spoon.  Hot dog is a bit weird though.  In Amsterdam we used to eat mayo on french fires.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It's funny, I LOVE mayo--didn't as a kid and the first time I ever had it was in Canada--on a burger, couldn't eat it.

Now, I could eat it on a spoon.  Hot dog is a bit weird though.  In Amsterdam we used to eat mayo on french fires.  

I don't put it on fries but for sure on burgers and most sandwichs.  For fries ketchup is the tradition but  these days I do not put anything on fries except a little salt.

I could easily skip the mayo on dogs if i have some good relish to go with it.  The only must must have for a dog for me is mustard.

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You would have flipped in France, too.  I was in Lyon where people were lined up for french fries on a hero roll slathered in mayo.  Surprisingly pretty good.

Became a vegetarian right after I graduated undergrad in '08. In general I don't like the imitation stuff like the Beyond or Impossible brands. I'd rather just eat burgers made out of actual veggies and grains/rice or eat real veggies with similar taste profiles (such as Jackfruit pulled 'pork' instead of Seitan pulled 'pork').

That said, I do enjoy two imitation items and IMO they are very close to what I remember from 13+ years ago: The Boca Spicy Chick'n patties (frozen food aisle) come close in taste to the spicy chicken sandwich I used to get at Wendys in the early '00s, and the Buffalo Gardien Wings prepared at a restaurant franchise called YardHouse come frighteningly close to real wings in terms of taste and texture.

I hated dogs growing up even when I ate meat and have absolutely no desire to try any form of imitation, but I'm happy you enjoy them. The more this stuff becomes streamlined to the general public, the more options it opens up for me - so I'm all for it! ?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter is a vegetarian.  Wife decided we should try her veg food for dinner.  This is dinner tomorrow night.  Plant based protein presented in the style of ground beef.  At least the wife decided she is going to make sloppy joe's from it, so hopefully with the sauce, seasonings and whatever else we might add to the sandwich it will be palatable.  Not looking forward to it.

fake meat.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

My daughter is a vegetarian.  Wife decided we should try her veg food for dinner.  This is dinner tomorrow night.  Plant based protein presented in the style of ground beef.  At least the wife decided she is going to make sloppy joe's from it, so hopefully with the sauce, seasonings and whatever else we might add to the sandwich it will be palatable.  Not looking forward to it.

fake meat.jpg

You can’t catch a break this week… you became a mod, the Alabama game, and now this?

That’s a lot for one man to handle. ?

• Sympathy 1

On 12/8/2021 at 3:18 AM, Lith said:

fake meat.jpg

Isn't it funny that no one tries to disguise meat as vegetables? I wonder why that is...

• Upvote 1

Mayo on a hotdog is good (goes on the bun then the hotdog goes on that) but I never heard of that until moving to Mexico and was definitely not into it at first. Now, put (good) pico de gallo on the hot dog instead of ketchup, mustard, etc. Thank me later. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Isn't it funny that no one tries to disguise meat as vegetables? I wonder why that is...

I had the same thought.  Always struck me as odd that someone would choose to be vegetarian and would then eat plant-based proteins that are supposed to taste like a hamburger, hot dog, chicken patty, etc.  

We don't take a steak and try to make it look and taste like celery.  Which is an observation that always pisses of my daughter (the vegetarian).  Which is half the fun.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:10 PM, Beerfish said:

I decided, with trepidation....to try plant based hot dogs. I mean since my youth I have been used to good old hot dogs made of extra pig snouts and enough msg to last a month in one hot dog.

Right off the bat I wrinkled my nose and narrowed my eyes at the package of plant dogs, 'They are too small' I immediately thought. And yes they were small even for small hot dogs, what kind of outrage is this? I do not expect jumbo dogs but these things are slightly bigger than breakfast sausages. :ytho:

I open the package and they are glomed together, and tough to separate...another minus point from me. I just know I am going to hate these things.

So I stick two dogs into my new air fryer oven and prepare my hot dog buns, mayo, hot n spicy mustard and sliced cheese.

As they are cooking I raise my eyebrows and am surprised that they are starting to wrinkle like a good dog should and skin bubbling a bit.

Timer goes off, dogs are ready and now for the taste test.

I was very surprised that the taste and consistency was good, not as good as the dogs from my childhood but still as good as current day hot dogs.

So conclusion: Plant based dogs are small but a very good replication taste and consistency wise. Would buy again.

I tried this over the summer. Didn't have the same experience. Almost threw up.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2021 at 1:53 PM, Lith said:

I had the same thought.  Always struck me as odd that someone would choose to be vegetarian and would then eat plant-based proteins that are supposed to taste like a hamburger, hot dog, chicken patty, etc.  

We don't take a steak and try to make it look and taste like celery.  Which is an observation that always pisses of my daughter (the vegetarian).  Which is half the fun.

My daughter is a vegetarian as well. She eats veggie burgers but not the impossible burgers. She always says if I wanted something that tasted like a burger I would just eat meat.