The eternal optimist in me says…

HawkeyeJet

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets future is the brightest its ever been in team history.  A stud gm, stud hc, stud offensive coordinator, tons of young talent and tons of cap space and draft picks.

What an amazing position we are in.  Strap in Jets fans.  This is going to be one hell of a ride!

Now all we need is Kirk Cousins to help team Zach while leading the Jets to the playoffs

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets future is the brightest its ever been in team history.  A stud gm, stud hc, stud offensive coordinator, tons of young talent and tons of cap space and draft picks.

What an amazing position we are in.  Strap in Jets fans.  This is going to be one hell of a ride!

Hard to go for a ride when you already crashed the car. 

2022 is the key to this team... We need JD to hit on the Center (Linderbaum), and then buy (Yes this time buy) some FA's to go with the new draft in 2022. We need #1 WR, so that Moore can go to SLOT, and we need a #1 & #2 TE.... We need Edge, but if Lawson can come back maybe not as pressing as the others I've already mentioned. On D we need another CB to pair with Hall. He's #1 or #1A, if we can hit on someone with his skills. I think this is a good learning year for AD at Safety cause the man can hit. he just needs a bit more film study in the off season to learn to cut plays off and not be out of position sometimes... Other than that I like most of the 2021 draft, the young kids are getting much needed experience.

Can't say I like this coaching staff on the D side of the ball, and who would have thought that after the 1st 5 weeks of wanting to get rid of ML as OC, but if he can call the same type of game for ZW, that will tell us if the kid can handle this game. I'll give him a pass for the first 5 because I think both him and ML were feeling each other out. ML has to put that aside and see if the kid can handle the offense the way, that White did that magical game against Cinn.

• Upvote 3

QW is two years away from being a contractual nightmare.

Moore, Carter and AVT do look really good. Maybe not elite but solid NFL players.

Hall and Carter look solid. 

That is a very charitable evaluation of Ashtyn Davis.

Becton and Wilson have more bad signs than good. If the latter comes good then everything will be better and if not everything is f*cked. It’s almost that simple.

The 2021 draft looks good. They got pretty lucky with Moore and Carter being on the board when they were but they still had to make the picks and deserve credit for it.

The 2020 draft however is entirely the opposite, and what’s worse is we passed on several outstanding prospects that made sense at the time. 

• Upvote 3

Totally agree with you man. With all the draft capital coming up it’s going to be a major shift. The young guys will have another year of experience. Sign a te like dalton shultz a safety and a lb. I see a playoff push next year and for years to come IF Zach can at least be top 15-20

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Things are bad right now.  About as bad as I can remember.  I definitely can admit I skew towards the positive vs negative, especially with sports.  I can understand why this will sound stupid because things are so bad currently, but I really do believe it. 

That said, I think the Jets have some young talent that is light years better than any group they have had in a long time.  AVT, Moore, both Carters, Ashtyn Davis, QW, Hall all appear on their way to being good NFL players.  Solid if not spectacular players at worst. A few of them look to have the potential to be high end talents.

The two big wild cards are Wilson and Becton.  If those two are above average players, and Douglas can have another productive draft this season with a boat load of premium draft capital, things could turn quickly.  

There is also the discussion of the coaching staff but that is another topic altogether.

200.gif

QW should be shown the door Agree with the rest.

I am not as optimistic  for a couple of reasons.

The young players listed are a very good reason to feel good however three things look bad right now.

The defense is beyond awful.  Part of that is the guys who were supposed to be good look awful and the scheme is dreadful.

I feel the right way to build is now going to be shelved to pander to a D-centric head coach who the gm will feel he has to pander to.

This is one reason I wanted an offensive head coach rather than Saleh for most of the coach search.

We should be using high picks in the next draft on OL, TE, pas rusher and anotehr pay maker of some type or even another olineman.

I can easily see us by pass a guy like Linderbaum for a safety or linebacker, i can see us putting off getting a TE for the same reason.

The coaches and D coaches are 100% for sure not getting the best out of what talent we do have.

We will learn a lot when Wilson gets back imo.  If the o looks at least decent then hope is there, if it falls back we are screwed.  I thin Lafleur has improved dramatically the last half five games or so.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The young players listed are a very good reason to feel good however three things look bad right now.

The defense is beyond awful.  Part of that is the guys who were supposed to be good look awful and the scheme is dreadful.

I feel the right way to build is now going to be shelved to pander to a D-centric head coach who the gm will feel he has to pander to.

This is one reason I wanted an offensive head coach rather than Saleh for most of the coach search.

We should be using high picks in the next draft on OL, TE, pas rusher and anotehr pay maker of some type or even another olineman.

I can easily see us by pass a guy like Linderbaum for a safety or linebacker, i can see us putting off getting a TE for the same reason.

The coaches and D coaches are 100% for sure not getting the best out of what talent we do have.

We will learn a lot when Wilson gets back imo.  If the o looks at least decent then hope is there, if it falls back we are screwed.  I thin Lafleur has improved dramatically the last half five games or so.

All valid points, but I can’t see JD not doing the most he can to prop Wilson up considering his job is basically tied to ZW at this point. 

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

QW should be shown the door Agree with the rest.

For what QW gets paid, which is guaranteed, he is worth being on the team.  He is better than FAs that cost the same.  

I have no doubt that QW will have a better year next year when he is up for renewal.  The issue is whether the Jets take his 5th year option.  At this point I would not.  Let him play motivated, and he can be tagged if he looks good.  Then he is motivated again.  They you let him go.  

Mosley will also have a good year next year.  His very, very, very salary is guaranteed.  It makes no sense to cut him.  We can trade him, but no one is paying that.  He will be motivated.  Then you let him walk to.  

But good teams extend the good players they draft, basically using their option to do so and getting a relatively decent deal.  10+ players on good extensions is good cap management.  The Jets have not done that in 15 years. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The talent on the defense is atrocious.  I applauded Saleh with his attempt to coach his way to depth.  This is the road less traveled.  We learn to live with the ups and downs of a young, inexperienced group of young men.  It is light years better than Rex's idea of always devoting high-value resources to make his system work.  Sometimes, coaches do their best work with the less talented.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I get the concern that they have shift focus to the defensive side but I’m fairly confident there’s no chance in hell JD is ever taking a safety over one of the best OL prospects. 

14 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

All valid points, but I can’t see JD not doing the most he can to prop Wilson up considering his job is basically tied to ZW at this point. 

He will look at avt and carter and moore and say, i better prop up my head coach who; s defense stinks..  I think it is a legit worry.

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I get the concern that they have shift focus to the defensive side but I’m fairly confident there’s no chance in hell JD is ever taking a safety over one of the best OL prospects. 

GMs do weird things when their prize hand picked head coach is under the gun.

I hope you are right, this draft will be a big test for douglas in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

The talent on the defense is atrocious.  I applauded Saleh with his attempt to coach his way to depth.  This is the road less traveled.  We learn to live with the ups and downs of a young, inexperienced group of young men.  It is light years better than Rex's idea of always devoting high-value resources to make his system work.  Sometimes, coaches do their best work with the less talented.

It wasn't though we had quinnen and fatusaki and jfm and mosley and they drafted the hell out of D in the 2nd half of last years draft.

All of a sudden the narrative has changed to 'oh we have no talent'.  Your line of thinking is my exact worry that douglas will take.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Valid points. I could certainly see this happening.  The one thing I am hopeful that will prevent this however is the main pieces that need fixing(or at least the biggest fixing) are the infamous “non premium” positions of Safety and Linebacker.  I am hopeful those are FA targets, allowing for offense (TE, C,G,) Edge and Corner to be the focus of the multiple top 50 picks.

We will see how it all unfolds, but I think with even an “average” LB Corp right now, before the Echols injury at least, our defense would look not nearly as putrid.  That’s my biggest fear is that they over correct and spend big with FA or high pick on LBs and I don’t think they need to.  

• Upvote 1

Have to wonder why QW was coming on last season under Greg Willams and almost invisible this year.
I don’t think it’s the player, rather the system he is being ask to play in. A case of square peg in a round hole.
I have to wonder if the Jets, for this season anyway, played a defensive system that fit the current players, would the results be different.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

GMs do weird things when their prize hand picked head coach is under the gun.

I hope you are right, this draft will be a big test for douglas in my eyes.

Another thing, and this just my opinion but I don’t see RS as that type of coach, seems to me like he really is trying to be a CEO type HC. Just an opinion of mine but I don’t see him slamming the table for a defensive guy when there is a clearly better  weapon that can be picked to help his young QB

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There are individual pieces that I really like but I am worried about the coaching staff. 

They are going to get some time to figure it out, but the coaching has been disappointing. 

Today was a well coached game imo. Was at the game and rewatched on tv. 

Miami plays an incredible amount of cover zero or cover zero looks and Mike White would have absolutely been destroyed.  STARTING JOE FLACCO was absolutely the right thing to do.  Joe was comfortable AF quick dealing and made multiple great reads. 

Lafeur called a great game and was prepared for Miami’s D- with quality hot routes every play.  

I wish Flacco would agree to stay as number 2.

We’re talent deficient. Need Seattle to keep it up (down).  Need this draft.  Need Brandon Scherff and Gesicki this off season.  

I think Moore was very encouraging today. He had put up decent stats up until now, but I felt they mostly came when the game was out of reach. Today he put up a very good game against a good secondary. AVT has been very good so far. 

The rest of the young players @HawkeyeJetmentioned I think are heading towards solid careers, but none of them really strike me as difference makers. Guys like Quinnen, Hall, Davis, the Carters ... good teams need players like these guys, but none of them are going to make an opposing team game plan against them. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What's the opposite of Chicken Little? Chicken Big?