Zach now has the next 7 contests to fine tune his game for next year

Joe W. Namath

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Florida Gator, Jonathan Greenard, ead @T0mShane leads their team with 7 sacks and might just eat Zach Wilson for lunch, that is if Whitney Mercilus doesnt, might want to wait fora better confidence building team. 

It ignites my soul to see you hype up the rare UF player who somehow performs on a JAG level in the pros like you’re a SUNY Oneonta alum. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, undertow said:

So it's not about developing young players anymore we got that out of the way with Joe Flacco today? lol  But seriously we have seen 3 different QBs besides Zach play for this team now there's no more excuses for not being able to move the ball and function properly offensively.

No more excuses, yeah right. Jets fans have more excuses than a pregnant nun when it comes to highly-drafted QBs.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

If he plays within the offense and takes what the defense gives him, he can improve a lot. Don’t run around and throw deep balls like some fans think is best. Just complete passes and spread the ball around. 

You'd think after spending all this time watching 3 different QB's have success doing exactly that, he would understand this.

Stay in the pocket and play within the offense. The off platform throws/play will happen when they happen.

• Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure if we can risk it. I hear the Texans use blitzes. 

If he starts, any chance the Texans play under flag football rules for Zack?   You know, play stops and it's considered a sack if they grab his flag.  No actual contact for the young man.

After all, Zack is not 100% and we want to give him every advantage possible to develop properly and fully.   I'm sure Houston's management understands this and would grant us this accommodation.

• Haha 1

I'm convinced the most vocal part of our fan base (negative ones of course) would have been looking into drafting a new QB to replace Manning if he came here. He had almost 30 picks his rookie year. Let's not forget that Zach looked very good in the second Patriots game. They drove down the field and his short passes were crisp and on target. They missed a FG and the next drive he brought them into the redone before he got hurt and they scored a TD. He was playing much better than in previous weeks. OC has improved since then too.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

I'm expecting Wilson to start looking much more comfortable than he did in his first few games. He's had a chance to reset and get his head right.

The offensive line is playing better. LaFleur is calling better games. Rookies like Moore and Carter are starting to emerge. Wilson has a good chance to step in and show that he is maturing as a player.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

If he starts, any chance the Texans play under flag football rules for Zack?   You know, play stops and it's considered a sack if they grab his flag.  No actual contact for the young man.

After all, Zack is not 100% and we want to give him every advantage possible to develop properly and fully.   I'm sure Houston's management understands this and would grant us this accommodation.

We should ask for this if White plays too.  Every time he's stepped on the field he breaks.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No other fan base would have this many fans piling on the ridicule of a five game starter. I guarantee it.

Eleven years and Sam Darnold will do that to you, so I get it.

Lol Ben Macadoodoo ring a bell? Jim Tomsula also. Huge list.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No other fan base would have this many fans piling on the ridicule of a five game starter. I guarantee it.

Eleven years and Sam Darnold will do that to you, so I get it.

There's plenty of Jets fans who white knight every terrible Jets QB this team drafts, too.  So it cuts both ways.

And the 2nd sentence of your post illustrates exactly why that it's probably unwise to invest emotionally in a young QB until he proves he belongs in the league.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There would be nothing better for this franchise and coaching staff than for Zach to come back and look like he belongs in the NFL.  You can’t go into next year as yet another “rebuilding” year.    At some point we need to start evaluating the team by wins and losses.  

As well as JD's tenure.  Talk about getting a pass from lots of fans.  We're on track to put up at least another 11+ loss season.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's plenty of Jets fans who white knight every terrible Jets QB this team drafts, too.  So it cuts both ways.

And the 2nd sentence of your post illustrates exactly why that it's probably unwise to invest emotionally in a young QB until he proves he belongs in the league.

And only one side questions the "true fandom" of the other.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There would be nothing better for this franchise and coaching staff than for Zach to come back and look like he belongs in the NFL.  You can’t go into next year as yet another “rebuilding” year.    At some point we need to start evaluating the team by wins and losses.  

Just reset the rebuild odometer and claim it's the first year of a new rebuild and it's cool

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its white Knighting and emotionally investing to not write a guy off after five games 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Lets see Wilson just overall improve. Not expecting too much, just want to see him be better than before and show true progress.

It's a rookie season. Being great isn't required, but improvement and cutting down on mistakes are. 

That's where it gets scary.   I don't think any of us were expecting Zack to be "great" off the bat.  But what we saw--coaches included--was something way past incompetent.   Everything from his footwork, decision-making, release time, etc. was off beyond what we'd normally expect or forgive as being rookie problems.  Forget the NFL, Zack just looks like he's even not ready to compete against a top flight college team.

I'm convinced the most vocal part of our fan base (negative ones of course) would have been looking into drafting a new QB to replace Manning if he came here. He had almost 30 picks his rookie year. Let's not forget that Zach looked very good in the second Patriots game. They drove down the field and his short passes were crisp and on target. They missed a FG and the next drive he brought them into the redone before he got hurt and they scored a TD. He was playing much better than in previous weeks. OC has improved since then too.
He hasn't played in 4 weeks yet people's opinions of him keep growing negative. I don't quite understand it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

He hasn't played in 4 weeks yet people's opinions of him keep growing negative. I don't quite understand it.

Time to reflect on what they saw prior to the injury.   Much of the hype has receded and we are now left with the stark reality of Zack's play.

• Upvote 1

That's where it gets scary.   I don't think any of us were expecting Zack to be "great" off the bat.  But what we saw--coaches included--was something way past incompetent.   Everything from his footwork, decision-making, release time, etc. was off beyond what we'd normally expect or forgive as being rookie problems.  Forget the NFL, Zack just looks like he's even not ready to compete against a top flight college team.
I thought he looked good against Carolina given the fact that he was getting pummeled on every drop back. NE and Denver were dreadful games. Tenn was a huge improvement and he made some truly fantastic throws. Atlanta wasn't great but he played better as the game went on and they were within a FG until the defense fell apart for the final time. Then he only played one quarter against NE and looked decent. That's all we got on him.

Sam got 3 years. He never has a passer rating above 85 and in 2 of the 3 years he was below 78. I don't understand why Wilson is getting so much criticism after 5 games. 5. As a rookie. Especially when Lawrence and Fields are struggling as well.

Time to reflect on what they saw prior to the injury.   Much of the hype has receded and we are now left with the stark reality of Zack's play.
He looked like a rookie....no worse than Fields (who heads the worst offense in the league) or Lawrence. I expected a ton of mistakes. But we saw some glimpses of why he was drafted #2. He deserves more than 5 games.

Just now, bicketybam said:

He looked like a rookie....no worse than Fields (who heads the worst offense in the league) or Lawrence. I expected a ton of mistakes. But we saw some glimpses of why he was drafted #2. He deserves more than 5 games.

Zack has looked worse than I expected or how he was sold as ready to go.   You want to argue that Field's sucks, too.  Fine.  I agree.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Its white Knighting and emotionally investing to not write a guy off after five games 

No one is writing him off.  We’re saying he’s been objectively bad through 5 games and I’d like to be given a reason to believe in the kid before doing so.  Because we’ve seen this movie too many times before.  And not just with Jets QBs.

• Upvote 1