..the Rookies

The Jets’ offense did not reach full altitude against the Dolphins with Joe Flacco under center, but Elijah Moore continued his upward ascension by dominating in New York’s 24-17 loss.

Moore ran free for most of the game against Miami’s secondary and made it pay with the biggest receiving output by a Jets rookie since Rob Moore in 1990. His efforts were not enough to lead New York to victory, but Moore has stood out in three of Gang Green’s last four games and has quickly developed into a go-to option through the air.

Here is a look at how Moore and the rest of the Jets’ rookies fared in Week 11.

- -  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/new-york-jets-rookie-power-rankings-elijah-moore-dolphins-week-11/

• Upvote 1

Dolphins CB Xavien Howard: Jets WR Elijah Moore 'going to be special'

The New York Jets found a bright spot in their latest loss: Elijah Moore.The rookie receiver cashed in a breakout performance against the Miami Dolphins, catching eight of 11 targets for 141 yards and a 62-yard TD from Joe Flacco.

The performance even earned praise from the opposing defense after the Jets' 24-17 loss to Miami on Sunday."He's going to be special in this league," Dolphins corner Xavien Howard said, via NJ.com. "He's a smaller guy, quick guy. He made some tough catches out there, and I respect his game."

- -  https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-cb-xavien-howard-jets-wr-elijah-moore-going-to-be-special?campaign=Twitter_atn

• Upvote 1

-   At 2-8, the Jets -- losers of three straight -- are headed toward another Gase-ian season, sans Adam Gase. Only one thing can change the narrative before this year is deemed unsalvageable. Two things, actually.

Wide receiver Elijah Moore.

Quarterback Zach Wilson.

- -  https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88287/elijah-moore-and-soon-zach-wilson-provide-hope-for-struggling-jets

• Upvote 1

This is a team with many flaws. But by far one of the biggest positive takeaways from this year has been their 2021 NFL Draft class.

After a shaky 2020 draft, general manager Joe Douglas has seen some very promising early returns from his second draft class with the organization.While we're still only 11 weeks into each of their rookie seasons, it's hard not to get excited about the potential of this class. Especially when you consider how well many of them have played in an otherwise dismal season.

-  As it stands right now, the Jets have had one of the most productive and promising rookie classes this season. And that alone should have fans excited for the future.

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/power-ranking-ny-jets-2021-nfl-draft-class-11-weeks

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, rox said:

This is a team with many flaws. But by far one of the biggest positive takeaways from this year has been their 2021 NFL Draft class.

After a shaky 2020 draft, general manager Joe Douglas has seen some very promising early returns from his second draft class with the organization.While we're still only 11 weeks into each of their rookie seasons, it's hard not to get excited about the potential of this class. Especially when you consider how well many of them have played in an otherwise dismal season.

-  As it stands right now, the Jets have had one of the most productive and promising rookie classes this season. And that alone should have fans excited for the future.

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/power-ranking-ny-jets-2021-nfl-draft-class-11-weeks

I think JD got too cute on his first draft making too many trade backs and reaching on some picks. We all learn from experience and the experiences we learn most from are the one's where we say "I'm never going to that again".  

• Upvote 3
23 hours ago, rox said:

The Jets’ offense did not reach full altitude against the Dolphins with Joe Flacco under center, but Elijah Moore continued his upward ascension by dominating in New York’s 24-17 loss.

Moore ran free for most of the game against Miami’s secondary and made it pay with the biggest receiving output by a Jets rookie since Rob Moore in 1990. His efforts were not enough to lead New York to victory, but Moore has stood out in three of Gang Green’s last four games and has quickly developed into a go-to option through the air.

Here is a look at how Moore and the rest of the Jets’ rookies fared in Week 11.

- -  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/new-york-jets-rookie-power-rankings-elijah-moore-dolphins-week-11/

So in 2021:

Mike White had the best passing output game since Vinny over 20 years before.

And Elijah Moore had the best receiving output game for a rookie since Moore over 30 years before.

And not in the same game either.

-  The NY Jets have one of the most exciting young playmakers in the NFL in rookie wide receiver Elijah Moore. And following a standout performance in Week 11, Moore has been awarded for his efforts.

Moore was officially named the Pepsi Zero Sugar NFL Rookie of the Week on Thursday beating out Dallas Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons in a heated race.

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-elijah-moore-rookie-week-11

On 11/23/2021 at 5:14 AM, rox said:

-   At 2-8, the Jets -- losers of three straight -- are headed toward another Gase-ian season, sans Adam Gase. Only one thing can change the narrative before this year is deemed unsalvageable. Two things, actually.

Wide receiver Elijah Moore.

Quarterback Zach Wilson.

- -  https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88287/elijah-moore-and-soon-zach-wilson-provide-hope-for-struggling-jets

Don't forget

Running back Michael Carter

The quarterbacks have changed, but the results haven’t. 

It hasn’t mattered who was throwing the ball to Elijah Moore in recent weeks. He’s been making plays in a variety of ways at different positions — in the slot and out wide — and reminding the Jets and their fans of the sky-high hopes they had for the rookie receiver this summer when he was making plays every day during training camp. 

- -  https://nypost.com/2021/11/27/jets-elijah-moore-starting-to-live-up-to-lofty-expectations/

The Best Rookie from Every NFL Team's 2021 Draft Class

The New York Jets lead the NFL in total rookie snaps logged. No. 2 overall pick Zach Wilson, first-round offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker and second-round wideout Elijah Moore are all playing significant roles for Gang Green.None have been more impactful than Michael Carter, the fourth-round running back who has taken command of the team's backfield.

Carter has rushed 111 times for 430 yards and four touchdowns this season. He's also carved out an important job as a pass-catcher out of the backfield, reeling in 32 of his 46 targets for 308 yards. Although he's competing for touches in a crowded backfield that also includes Ty Johnson and Tevin Coleman, Carter has played more than half of New York's offensive snaps.

- -   https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950721-the-best-rookie-from-every-nfl-teams-2021-draft-class

I’m excited to see all the rookies.  I was able to watch Wilson in person in Houston last year and I was really impressed with his arm, aggression, and toughness. It was different live than on TV and that’s usually not the case for me. 

I can’t wait to see Wilson on the field with the Jets tomorrow.  The entire rookie class has showed potential so far.  I can’t wait to key in on them all of them a little and see how it’s going.

This is the time of year you want all the rookies to start showing growth.

There are so many picks this year.  I see the potential of a good young core developing.

• Upvote 1

-    9. Late surge: Wide receiver Elijah Moore got off to a slow start, but he hasn't given up on validating his best friend's preseason prediction. Tennessee Titans wide receiver A.J. Brown said he'd bet all his game checks that Moore wins Offensive Rookie of the Year. Still possible?

"Of course, man," Moore said on ESPN's "Flight Deck" podcast. "That's the goal. I wouldn't change it. My mindset doesn't change. I stick with what I stick with. Obstacles are going to come and you have to know that, but I'm always going to overcome because I'm not going to stop."

- -  https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88302/uncommon-draft-jackpot-could-help-new-york-jets-accelerate-rebuild

On 11/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

I think JD got too cute on his first draft making too many trade backs and reaching on some picks. We all learn from experience and the experiences we learn most from are the one's where we say "I'm never going to that again".  

I said that at the time when JD chose to stick and pick in the second round in what looked like an obvious trade down spot after trading away his two third round picks. I’m guessing there were WRs he liked better than Mims in 2020, and he wasn’t going to let his favorite get away again. 

On 11/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

I suspect it is from him calling plays from the booth. In the 4 games since he's been up there, the combined numbers for the 3 different QBs who have played are:

Bengals 39/49 for 422 yards 3 TD 1 Int

Colts  34/52 for 412 yards 4 TD  1 Int

Bills  27/47 for 298 yards 1 TD  4 Int 

Fins  24/39 for 291 yards 2 TD  0 Int

That is a 66% completion rate and 355 yards per game with 10 TDs against 6 Int. That is prolific for a good QB. It is unheard of for 3 different QBs in a new scheme on a new team. Other than White crapping the bed and throwing picks against the Bills, it is blemish free. 

That said Wilson was playing better in his last 2 games and 1 quarter before his injury. During those 9 quarters he was 46/76 for 540 yards with 2 TD and 2 Int and he had the burden of LaFleur being on the sideline with him rather than up in the booth. I hope things take off for Wilson with Lefleur up in the booth and having the benefit of watching 3 different QBs excel in the system.

The play calling also got much more aggressive. They were too focused on establishing the run in an effort to protect Zach rather than having him throw on first and second down in an effort to get the QB in a rhythm and avoid 3rd & longs. They also ditched their ****ty TEs, and got their decent WRs on the field more. If there’s a, “good plays vs. bad plays,” debate, that would be it for me. I want to see Zach come out throwing. 

• Like 1

The NY Jets 2021 NFL Draft class has been really impressive

The NY Jets have a young and bright future, and it's all thanks to their 2021 NFL Draft class.

Though Zach Wilson has yet to cement his status as a franchise quarterback, the other rookies have soared above and beyond this season.Alijah Vera-Tucker has played in every offensive snap through 11 weeks and is already likely the most dependable and talented offensive lineman on the team.

Michael Carter II has established himself as a starting-caliber slot cornerback recording 48 tackles, four passes defended, and one quarterback hit.Michael Carter and Elijah Moore have been the two shining stars of the Jets' offense in recent weeks, with Carter rushing for 430 yards this season before getting injured.

Meanwhile, Moore enjoyed the most productive game of his career in Week 11, catching eight passes for 141 yards and one touchdown. So far this season, Moore has 33 catches for 415 yards and four touchdowns...

- -  https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-2021-nfl-draft-class-impressive

• Like 1

The Jets fell short against the Eagles on Sunday afternoon, but it was a good day for some of their rookies.

Zach Wilson showed signs of progress despite throwing a fourth-quarter interception, while Elijah Moore stayed hot with another standout performance. The duo is a big part of New York’s plans for the future and showcased its potential in Week 13.

Here is a deeper look at how Wilson, Moore and the rest of Gang Green’s rookies fared in the loss to the Eagles...

- -  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/new-york-jets-rookie-power-rankings-zach-wilson-elijah-moore-philadelphia-eagles/

• Upvote 1

We're in the homestretch of the season, so every version of the NFL Power Rankings becomes more and more important. But the homestretch isn't just important for ranking teams; it's important for players in setting up the next part of their careers.

Whether you're a young guy trying to establish a legacy or a veteran trying to preserve what is already built, December is when reputations are made and maintained. On that note, we asked our NFL Nation writers to pick the one player on the team's they cover for whom the last month of the season is most important. As you'd expect, the quarterback position is well-represented here -- from rookies trying to get a foothold (see the Big Apple) to veterans trying to close out in style (Pittsburgh Steelers fans can feel this) to current stars looking to reach that next level (such as the guy heading up America's Team) -- but there are non-quarterbacks that make the list, as well.

How we rank our Power Rankings: Our power panel -- a group of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities -- evaluates how teams stack up throughout the season.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true  29. New York Jets (3-9)

Previous ranking: 29 sw_ye_40.png

Player who must step up: QB Zach Wilson

The rookie's performance over the final five games will determine whether the Jets' season is an abject failure or a positive springboard into 2022. So far, the second overall pick has been a disappointment, with only six touchdown passes and 11 interceptions in eight starts, but he made progress in Sunday's loss to the Eagles. It was "by far" his best game in terms of playing within the structure of the offense, according to coach Robert Saleh. If Wilson can stack games like that, it will reinforce the Jets' belief that he is the right guy at the most important position. -- Rich Cimini

- -  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerranking1207/nfl-power-rankings-week-14-1-32-poll-plus-players-need-step-last-month

14 minutes ago, rox said:

We're in the homestretch of the season, so every version of the NFL Power Rankings becomes more and more important.

-- Rich Cimini

SMH at how self-absorbed this comes across ... does anyone give a rat's ass about Power Rankings??

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

In just his second game back after missing over a month of action, NY Jets quarterback Zach Wilson was named Rookie of the Week for his performance in the team's Week 13 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.This marks the second time that Wilson has been named Rookie of the Week after he was previously awarded the honor after helping lead the Jets to victory over the Tennessee Titans in Week 4.

Wilson finished 23-of-38 for 226 yards, three total touchdowns (two passing), and an interception this past Sunday putting together what might have been the best game of his young NFL career.Through 13 weeks, Wilson is the only rookie quarterback to be named Rookie of the Week this season. And now, he's won it twice.

- -     https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-zach-wilson-rookie-week-award

If there’s one thing we do in this city more often than what takes place in other sports towns, we constantly take the temperature of our teams and athletes

Every game, every day, represents a big-picture referendum of sorts — for both the teams and the players. 

Especially quarterbacks. 

With our two NFL teams, one week may be awash with the euphoria of victory and the next week a spiral to hell with no way out. Coaches and players who’ve been elsewhere might say they understand it’s different in New York and insist they were prepared for the onslaught of attention and analysis, but it’s impossible for them to fully understand it until they’re actually a part of it. Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson, both rookies at their respective crafts, are fully immersed in it right now. Saleh, the Jets’ impossibly upbeat head coach, has at times looked overwhelmed and beaten down as the losses have mounted. 

Wilson, the Jets’ latest hope at franchise quarterback, has showed growing pains that undoubtedly have tested his well-fortified confidence. Wilson’s every move on the field has been dissected more aggressively than a forensic lab might pore over a crime scene. It’s the price of doing business in this city if you’re the second-overall pick in the draft. 

To Wilson’s credit, even in the wake of some spotty play, he hasn’t blinked. 

“I have a high expectation of myself to do well, of course,’’ Wilson said Thursday. “I understand it’s going to be a challenge being a rookie. I understand that it’s a process, and as long as I’m making growth and heading in the right direction, I can keep working at it. It’s about the process right now rather than the end result. We’re working toward something bigger than just this right now.’’ Wilson enters Sunday’s game against the Saints at MetLife Stadium with a 2-6 won-loss record as a starter for the 3-9 Jets. He’s completed 141 of 243 passes (58.0 percent) for 1,539 yards, six TDs, 11 INTs and a 66.2 passer rating. More often than not, it hasn’t looked good, but this perhaps should have been expected of a rookie quarterback who’d played all of one full season of college ball at BYU in a conference that doesn’t play a testing schedule against the nation’s top teams. 

As Wilson has tried to progress — in between missing four games with a right knee sprain — he’s surely been scrutinized more than his fellow starting quarterbacks from this draft class. Of the four who are starting, the two other than Wilson also have struggled. 

Trevor Lawrence, who was picked No. 1 overall by the Jaguars (one spot before the Jets selected Wilson), has a 2-10 won-loss record, is completing his passes at the same pedestrian clip as Wilson (58.0) and has 9 TDs, 10 INTs and a 72.3 passer rating. 

Justin Fields, taken 11th overall, has numbers that are almost identical to those of Wilson — a 2-6 record, 58.1 percent completion rate, 4 TDs, 8 INTs and a 69.0 rating. 

New England’s Mac Jones, the 15th overall pick, is the outlier. He has a 9-4 record and is completing 70.3 percent of his passes with 16 TDs, 8 INTs and a 97.0 rating. Jones, of course, is also the beneficiary of the best coaching staff in football, a staff that has put him in the best position to succeed, which can’t be said of the Jets, Jaguars and Bears for their respective rookies. 

You can bet, though, that the scrutiny of Lawrence in Jacksonville and Fields in Chicago isn’t nearly as intense as it has been for Wilson. The hope of the Jets and their fans is that the added pressure that comes with playing in this market eventually makes Wilson a better, tougher player. Only time will tell us whether that proves out as the case. “What doesn’t hurt you makes you stronger,’’ Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley said Thursday. “I don’t have any doubt in his mindset. Zach is a very confident person. Zach is a very motivated person. Even with his injury, he didn’t go into a shell, he attacked it, attacked his rehab, he stayed in the film room. We feel like he’s progressed. Lot of respect to him for handling the situation the way he’s handled it.’’ 

Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur acknowledged the high-intensity scrutiny New York presents, but didn’t sound concerned about Wilson handling the roller coaster. “This market challenges a quarterback, but this league does,’’ Lafleur said Thursday. “Quarterbacks are always going to get challenged unless you’re winning Super Bowl after Super Bowl. You’re always going to get critiqued and you can’t worry about it. You’ve just got to worry about yourself, the guys around you, this building. 

“I think Zach’s made of the right stuff.’’ 

He has five more games this season to show that he does.

- -  https://nypost.com/2021/12/09/jets-zach-wilson-facing-special-kind-of-new-york-pressure/