Saleh: This is the first time this fanbase has experienced something like this. This is an actual plan.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

"Building a program" is the General Manager's job.  

"Executing the program" is the Head Coach's job.

Not going to belabor this point, but the more I hear from Saleh, the less faith I have in his future.

He is far too comfortable, secure and cozy sitting at 2-8 than any NFL Head Coach should be.

Even in year 2.5 of the JD "Rebuild".

I don't expect a lot of people to be buying in to what he's selling at 2-8.

I think you're minimizing the overlap that needs to happen between GM & HC in accomplishing organizational goals.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The hesitation you would have is Saleh is running a scheme and installing a program that marginalizes a lot of the players that are already here. If he wants a faster MLB, he should bench Mosely. If he has no use for guys like Mims and Becton, they should have traded them instead of driving their value into the ground. I get the whole idea of seeding your culture and letting it grow, but it feels like Saleh thinks he has a lot of time and an open checkbook to get it done. He can’t just coach the players he wants to coach because he thinks he has five years to flip the roster. 

“no use for becton”??? Who said he has no use for him? The guy got hurt.

What would you be trading Mims for? If all they were offered was a 6th round pick what’s the point? He was a 2nd round pick  two years ago.

The Jets are better off seeing if you can get these to perform better and then trading/keeping them. The team needs to keep the young talent under manageable contracts not trade them at discounts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bullox, Jets fans are as patient as any other team in the league and jets fans are fine with losing in a rebuild.

No one cares that we are 2-8 or whatever, we are mad because the part of the team that is supposed to be further along has been so totally atrocious it is almost unwatchable.

Coming into this year, a lot of us were more worried about the defense than the offense 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The basic problem there is we didn't actually bottom out in 2017. We won just enough games (5-11) to keep us from organically earning the top pick, resulting in us trading 3 second round picks to get up to #3. Then, we took the wrong QB, anyway. 

Also, we were never building a winner with Macc running the show. 

That's fine slim, I don't disagree with you, I just felt it was a patronizing comment by Saleh about our fanbase (particularly given some of the shoddy "coaching" we have seen so far). 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't expect a lot of people to be buying in to what he's selling at 2-8.

I think you're minimizing the overlap that needs to happen between GM & HC in accomplishing organizational goals.

Perhaps I am.

Or perhaps I value a Coach who isn't so cozy with his GM, isn't so secure in his job, that he can be unworried sitting at 2-8 and dead last in the NFL in most things.

Well, we'll see I suppose.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Coming into this year, a lot of us were more worried about the defense than the offense 

Yeah worried about corners who have been the very last problem on this team.  Our all world dline has been a disgrace, our all world ilb has stunk.

We were coming off a season with epically bad offense and not great but some promise on D.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The hesitation you would have is Saleh is running a scheme and installing a program that marginalizes a lot of the players that are already here. If he wants a faster MLB, he should bench Mosely. If he has no use for guys like Mims and Becton, they should have traded them instead of driving their value into the ground. I get the whole idea of seeding your culture and letting it grow, but it feels like Saleh thinks he has a lot of time and an open checkbook to get it done. He can’t just coach the players he wants to coach because he thinks he has five years to flip the roster. 

Mosley obviously is showing himself to be the wrong guy at MLB but remember, JD didn’t sign him. My guess, he’s a goner during the off season and expect JD to use one of his his high draft picks at MLB

Becton’s injured therefore un tradable.

No one is giving anything good for Mims, there’s just not enough good tape. 

I don’t know if you actually watched today’s press conference but it’s really worth the 14 min 12 sec . No way shape or form does Robert Saleh come off as smug or cocky enough to think that his job is iron clad for the next five years.

He’s just telling it like it is and sometimes the truth just hurts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Wit said:

No one here will admit to listening and being reasonable. At least not the trolls. 

I mean I get it. The Jets are 2-8 and have the worst defense in the league. It's hard to take the coaching staff seriously or even want to give them a chance. Jets fans are and should be pissed off.

The change over from 4-3 to 3-4 after a decade and a half was a major under taking in and of itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah worried about corners who have been the very last problem on this team.  Our all world dline has been a disgrace, our all world ilb has stunk.

We were coming off a season with epically bad offense and not great but some promise on D.

Was anyone really saying all world? Even after Lawson went down? Also, no one had seen Mosley play in basically two seasons so I doubt anyone was saying that either. With that said, we all know how bad he looks. The rest of that position has been a revolving door and safety is not great either. 

I am with you though because my biggest disappointment is the lack of physicality on the d line and when they are physical, they get dumb penalties. I feared they would be bad against the run as compared to previous years but I didn't know it would be this bad. 

Getting back to the main point of the thread, I still have faith in Saleh. It would really light my fire if Wilson comes in and looks at least as functional as the other three dudes have looked with hopefully a little extra. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sure, we deep fried the brain of our #2 overall pick QB and held him out so we could start Joe Flacco, but it’s all part of my plan. 

<Plan is to give a bunch of scheme-specific 49ers players 30% over market in free agency so Saleh can recreate the defense that was #8 in points allowed one year and a disaster every other year>

To be a great HC you don’t need to be the best OC/DC. You need to be a great leader and teacher

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Saleh touched on a lot of big picture, rebuild stuff in todays press conference - a really good listen.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/robert-saleh-press-conference-11-22-week-12

These guys are laying a foundation for the future and doing things the right way. I'm wholly convinced Saleh and JD are going to turn this around.  

Not going to lie, I respect the hell out of him sitting up there and saying that and staying confident in his vision.  It kind of does give me a little more confidence in him. 

Reality is, he's not wrong.  They're exactly where I expected them to be record wise right now.  I had them winning 4/5 games by winning against the Texans, Jags and maybe possibly stealing one from the Phins.  I'm not really confident in that anymore but still, I expected this bad.  I even have a post out there somewhere before the season started when Lawson went down saying the D has a chance at being historically bad.  And we've done teardowns but have we ever really had a fully aligned rebuild plan when we have done them?  He might not be wrong saying that we never truly have, proof is kind of in the pudding, no? 

I'm not going to sit here and bang the table that these are the guys to turn it around.  They have done some highly questionable sh*t that makes you really nervous and I dont blame anyone who thinks they're not because I cant defend them but I do know a few things;  they're going to get the chance to see this through, the rookie class does look really good and if Zach hits?, they do have a ton of resources to get better and we have seen progression in the offense which at the end of the day, is the only thing any of us ever really wanted out of this season.  The unfortunate part of that equation is it took our #2 overall pick getting injured for us to see it flourish. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Not going to belabor this point, but the more I hear from Saleh, the less faith I have in his future.

He is far too comfortable, secure and cozy sitting at 2-8 than any NFL Head Coach should be.

At this point I have more faith in JD than in Saleh.  Draft injuries and some underperforming FAs are most of the issues with JD so far, but he's given us so much damn draft capital, cap space, and promising rookies that I'm still optimistic.

But Saleh is responsible for making the Zach experiment work out, and this team has been nothing short of trash all year minus 2 games.  The defensive collapse these last 4 weeks is a microcosm of this coaching staff's inability imo.  Hopefully they can make the jump from ineptitude like LaFluer has done from the start of the season.

The rest of their schedule is the easiest in the league.  If they end like the "optimistic" 2019 Gase year, I will be optimistic.  But if the defense continues literally not showing up and Zach shows little to no growth, I will have little faith in Saleh moving forward.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

While I agree with you in sentiment, the other side of that coin - the unintended side effect of immediately trading rather than benching malcontents who won’t listen out buy in - is it’d incentivize others to get in the coach’s doghouse early enough to get traded by the deadline. 

But also this indignant stance he’s taking right now - which I can’t listen to right now - is it’s transparently self serving. He just gave himself a mulligan for losing 8 of 10, and for losing still more thereafter. Pretty convenient, even if it does hold water.

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean I get it. The Jets are 2-8 and have the worst defense in the league. It's hard to take the coaching staff seriously or even want to give them a chance. Jets fans are and should be pissed off.

The change over from 4-3 to 3-4 after a decade and a half was a major under taking in and of itself.

Also, for the fanbase, it has been 11 years since we played ina playoff game.  The coaching staff has been here less than a year.  Persepctives differ.  As a fan, it is hard to listen to a coaching staff preaching patience.  But really, what choice do we have.  I am skeptical, but I hope Saleh is right. 

I would love to see some significant improvement over these last 7 games -- at least on the field if not in the W-L column.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Bullox, Jets fans are as patient as any other team in the league and jets fans are fine with losing in a rebuild.

No one cares that we are 2-8 or whatever, we are mad because the part of the team that is supposed to be further along has been so totally atrocious it is almost unwatchable.

Just like when gase our offensive guru had a hopeless offense.

Win or look good losing.  No wins?  Fine at least be a team like Houston or Detroit who though really bad fight their asses off each week.

The Jets start a rebuild and we say fine we are bad but at least we have player x, y or z to build around.  A year later these guys stink and we are looking to draft their positions.

The fans look at things like how QB has been handled since before this year and shake their head in dismay.  The way QBs have been handed is anything but a solid logical plan.

Saleh is all fine and good with his long term plan.  Meanwhile, he is fielding the most atrocious defense in the league.  All in the name of "the future"?  2 words: Bull Doody, Robert.  Bull Doody.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

How is building the program not part of the HC job? It’s building the culture. That’s on him. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I will agree that it’s true that Jets fans will not allow a team to rebuild, but I would like Saleh to specify at what point in his “rebuild” he plans on asking his players to tackle running backs. Thanks, Mike. I’ll hang up and listen.

Haven't you heard that he didn't have his starting safety all season?

• Upvote 1

He’s not wrong. We’ve toyed with the idea but never actually saw it through. Idzik started his process but never saw it through.

I think the plan involves us pushing our chips in during this upcoming free agency class and then supplementing that with 4 high draft picks. If JD hits again like he did last year, this team is going to take off.

This year sucks, but you can see the vision taking shape a little bit

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wont allow a true rebuild?  Hahahaha.  Joe and Robert dont give a flying eff about jet fans and what they want.  Joe and Robert have been giving the jet fan the middle finger every chance they get and its beautiful.

You are stupid beyond words 

• Haha 1