Saleh: This is the first time this fanbase has experienced something like this. This is an actual plan.

4 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I agree and I am done giving JD passes. He can't even get the kicker right, why should we trust him with anything else. His FA signing have been an unmitigated disaster.

FAs aren’t coming to the Jets absent an absurd overpay or no other options. I posit that instead of going for those with no options due to age or performance, we should be willing to push the envelope and sign some guys who you might not want to date your daughter.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I agree and I am done giving JD passes. He can't even get the kicker right, why should we trust him with anything else. His FA signing have been an unmitigated disaster.

As of right now it looks like JD pretty much crushed the draft this year. If Wilson, who is a big question mark right now, turns out to be the guy he hit a grand slam.

The new CS seems to be developing his guys well too.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Ok but his first year he was brought in after free agency and the draft. Why pretend like he's had 3 offseasons to mold the team?

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Because it conveniently makes it sound much worse. 

Douglas has had two off-seasons to build the team, so far. We should all be able to agree on that. 

I mean, hey if you guys want to say the first season doesnt count then by all means.

Instead of being 11-31 he is 4-22.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He signed a kicker and a center that single handedly cost us at least 2 games that first year. So that's something.

I can get past the Kalil signing, disastrous mistake that we now know it to be. Douglas got here in May; the draft was over, as was FA before that. In August his HC - the one who got him the job - tells him he needs a center and that the one the now-fired GM left them with is a guy you go with when your starter goes on IR, not one you plan to go with by design, with a young QB he hopes would take a big leap forward in year 2. 

At that point, there is no one available. Except a multi-time pro bowler who’s past his prime but who was still at least an average starter just the prior season. And one who’d expressed a personal interest in Darnold’s success before signing him, because they were both USC alums. 

I’ve seen gambles with worse optics at the time. Even if one wasn’t super-optimistic, signing him out of very recent retirement, the actual results were worse than anyone expressed they’d imagined. I don’t recall many complaints about not going with Harrison all season long until after Kalil ****ed up so badly on the field.  

Douglas has had enough ****-ups when he had the time to plan ahead all offseason. At Kalil-signing time he was desperate and no one was giving up their starting center just to help the Jets anyway. Meh.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can get past the Kalil signing, disastrous mistake that we now know it to be. Douglas got here in May; the draft was over, as was FA before that. In August his HC - the one who got him the job - tells him he needs a center and that the one the now-fired GM left them with is a guy you go with when your starter goes on IR, not one you plan to go with by design, with a young QB he hopes would take a big leap forward in year 2. 

At that point, there is no one available. Except a multi-time pro bowler who’s past his prime but who was still at least an average starter just the prior season. And one who’d expressed a personal interest in Darnold’s success before signing him, because they were both USC alums. 

I’ve seen gambles with worse optics at the time. Even if one wasn’t super-optimistic, signing him out of very recent retirement, the actual results were worse than anyone expressed they’d imagined. I don’t recall many complaints about not going with Harrison all season long until after Kalil ****ed up so badly on the field.  

Douglas has had enough ****-ups when he had the time to plan ahead all offseason. At Kalil-signing time he was desperate and no one was giving up their starting center just to help the Jets anyway. Meh.

Yeah the Khalil signing was a decent enough (at minimum defensible) risk/reward. I did not like Wilson but didn’t fault JD for drafting him (I mean, I could be wrong lol) but the way he mismanaged the QB2 situation was the turning point for me. A foreseeable problem with multiple cheap solutions and JD kept hitting snooze.

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The fact that the majority of wins that came under Douglas tenure came from a roster largely comprised of macc players is pretty funny.

Maybe? It's not particularly relevant, however. Douglas inherited a franchise with Sam Darnold as its franchise QB and Adam Gase as its HC. Neither of those guys were going to work. The record with those guys here is largely irrelevant. The fact that the Jets beat some awful teams in the second half of 2019 (after starting out 1-7) to finish 7-9 doesn't really factor into the equation going forward. 

The biggest knocks on Douglas are his mediocre 2020 draft and his underwhelming FA signings. The 2021 draft looks promising so far and can be anywhere from good to excellent depending on how Wilson turns out, but he desperately needs to sign some legit veterans this offseason on defense and he needs another strong draft, in general. 

• Upvote 2

Talk is cheap Bowles and Gase talked about putting a system in place to, this dude is hot garbage who is supposed to be a defensive wizard, funny thing is the offense is playing better than the defense.  This dude who is hot garbage can talk all he wants talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.  What do you expect him to say?  That he shouldn't keep developing players and not put a system in place?  Actions speak louder than words and the 2-8 record and his defense getting torched by any offensive anapt team shows he is hot garbage.  Please hire a competent coach or this bufoon will ruin yet another quarterback.  The Johnsons are so bright hiring a so called defensive mind who has never had any experience with Quarterback coaching to run the team for the next 5 years.  Lets ruin Zach Wilson to.  I guess we have the worst luck in the world drafting quarterbacks top 5, it has nothing to do with hiring bufoon's who can't develop them properly and put them in the right situations. This bufoon needs to go before we are drafting another top 5 quarterback in a year or 2.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

To a Jets fan, a “rebuild” should take six games or the billboards come out.

What are you talking about?  We have been rebuilding for the last 12 years, 3 coaches later who were supposed to be geniuses and lead us to the promise land. 3 quarterbacks later who were supposed to be the franchise saviour, and 100 1st round busts later we are still rebuilding.  When will this stupid ownership get things right?

• Sympathy 1