JD: Are we in year 2 or 3?

Are we in year 2 or 3 of the Joe Douglas era?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Are we in year 2 or 3 of the Joe Douglas era?

• Year 3 - He was hired in 2019 and gets credit for that season.
    • Year 2 - He was hired after the draft and FA in 2019 and had little impact on that season.
    • STFU and stop making threads Barry. Your mother.

10 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

My write in vote is - Year one for JD and Saleh.

I never thought that the day would come when I would say that Woody is doing the right thing by allowing the football people to run the team. His job now is to be the annoying owner who makes silly homer tweets. 

So a first time GM and HC (the guy whose defense blew the Super Bowl with SF) are now considered "football people"?

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

When you are given an AWFUL team, you work with what is available. He felt compelled to grab a retired center because we had GARBAGE at center.

Year two. 

Funny that the awful team went 2019 and might of even snuck in the playoffs if JD knew how to get a kicker 

The 2019 team wipe the floor with JDs 2021 team 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Anyone saying anything but year 3 is objectively wrong.

Ryan Kalil and Ryan Griffin remember.

Enjoy your thread.

So what though.  He was trying to do what he could.  The time to make real moves had already passed.  CJ let Macc run the draft and spend the FA money.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Anyone saying anything but year 3 is objectively wrong.

Ryan Kalil and Ryan Griffin remember.

Enjoy your thread.

Do you actually think these are impactful moves compared to the draft and off season free agency? In terms of impact on the franchise these moves are virtually nill in comparison.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

And the most wins under his tenure was in 2019.

So for you year 2 people that would make JD 4-22 as a GM which I believe is a league worst. 

While true the Jets are 20th in offense in the NFL and 9th in passing in 2021 yards per game as of today with a 258.8. Last year the Jets were 31st with 174.8. Would you call that an improvement?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Year 3 as his contract states. 

The rest is just noise 

This

If JD came in a every single move he made was perfect we would all applaud him (as we should) so why excuse him of the terrible moves ? 

This is year 3 and anything else is bush league imo 

• Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What does it matter what year he is in?  He will be here for a minimum of 6 years and he is in year 1 of this rebuild.

Year 1 of HIS rebuild, which is going to be the more important consideration by ownership.

He didn't have the clout to get rid of Gase after being on the job for 6 months at the end of the 2019 season.  At that point, he was still beholden to get players for Gase's system and players Gase wanted.

28 minutes ago, Claymation said:

While true the Jets are 20th in offense in the NFL and 9th in passing in 2021 yards per game as of today with a 258.8. Last year the Jets were 31st with 174.8. Would you call that an improvement?

The improvement came…after JD’s handpicked franchise QB sustained injury and has been sitting on the bench. 

• Upvote 1

You can frame it how you want.

He's in this third year since being hired as GM.

He's had two offseasons (draft and FA period) to overhaul the roster.

He's had one offseason with the current coaching staff/scheme.

To me it's year two, since Maccagnan ran the 2019 offseason. He botched the kicker situation that year and dragging Ryan Kalil out of retirement flopped but he had very little input on that team.

• Upvote 3

We are technically in year 12. I have no problem in what Jd is doing I have a problem in the other hires the Woodys have made, Jd so far had a good draft besides maybe Wilson who has potential, and has fleeced every team in trades and stockpiled picks. Another good draft and a competent experienced coach and the Jets may be relevant soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Year 3 as his contract states. 

The rest is just noise 

I picked year 2, but you make a very valid point there. JD didn't just sit around and do nothing his first year, but he was given a Macc-infested roster. 

So I honestly don't know.

Woody seems to have reset JD's tenure, so we should actually view it as year 1, because that's what the team will treat it as.