Poll: What are your feelings on these people in Jet history?

Poll: What are your feelings on these people in Jet history?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Leon Hess

• Loveable
    • I'm indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • I don't want to respond to this question but I have to fill in an answer to respond to the other questions in this poll
  2. 2. Herm Edwards

• Loveable
    • I'm indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • I don't want to respond to this question but I have to fill in an answer to respond to the other questions in this poll
  3. 3. Bill Parcells

• Positive
    • Indifferent
    • Negative
    • It's complicated
  4. 4. Todd Bowles

• It wasn't his fault
    • Indifferent
    • He wasn't a good HC
    • I'm still not sure
  5. 5. Rex Ryan

• Positive feelings
    • Indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • It's complicated
  6. 6. Joe Douglas

• I'm still optimistic
    • I'm pessimistic
    • Undecided

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Rex Ryan wasn't actually all that much better than the coaches that came after him.  Yeah, his defensive schemes with a loaded roster were nice for a bit.  Then the league figured him out.  And he took that loaded roster and tore it apart.  Then, in Buffalo, he took a defensive unit that was top-5 under Jim Schwartz and produced results outside of the top 20.  In the end he was a sub-.500 coach (46-50 in NY, 61-66 overall) just like all our other HC's.  

The idea isn't to look back at Rex Ryan with longing, yearning, or positive feelings.  The idea is to be pissed that the best we can do at HC over a 2 decade period was Rex f**king Ryan.  

I definitely hear both ends of this argument.  Rex definitely had his flaws but I don't think we can ignore his success in his first 2 years  here.  4 road playoff wins including one in New England?!  That's absolutely bonkers!  

• Like 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rex Ryan was a ******* terrorist inside the walls of Florham Park and his reign of idiocy and bushwacking is a big reason the Jets still suck to this very day. 

Negative, Negative, Positive, Indifferent, Negative, Optimistic And to those with positive feelings towards Rex Ryan, in 2021:  I hope your Dads come back from buying cigarettes some day.

Leon Hess -- Indifferent, he's really before my time. Herm -- I remember pieces of his era fondly, but I think overall I'd say negative. It's hard not to feel like he squandered some talented tea

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I definitely hear both ends of this argument.  Rex definitely had his flaws but I don't think we can ignore his success in his first 2 years  here.  4 road playoff wins including one in New England?!  That's absolutely bonkers!  

Several terrible HC's in our history have had some great playoff wins.  Herm's Jets beat the Manning Colts 41-0 in a home playoff game.  Doesn't mean either Rex or Herm were good coaches nor are they deserving of our admiration or love.  They sucked.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Rex Ryan wasn't actually all that much better than the coaches that came after him.  Yeah, his defensive schemes with a loaded roster were nice for a bit.  Then the league figured him out.  And he took that loaded roster and tore it apart.  Then, in Buffalo, he took a defensive unit that was top-5 under Jim Schwartz and produced results outside of the top 20.  In the end he was a sub-.500 coach (46-50 in NY, 61-66 overall) just like all our other HC's.  

The idea isn't to look back at Rex Ryan with longing, yearning, or positive feelings.  The idea is to be pissed that the best we can do at HC over a 2 decade period was Rex f**king Ryan.  

Even if he is a mere beneficiary of right place/right time, I don't care. 2 AFCC appearances are the only Jets memories worth having since 1997. And he does deserve some credit making it that far with a garbage QB (twice!). Yes, eventually the wheels did come off. But they were never on for any of the others. It's really Rex by default for Jets football this millenium.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Several terrible HC's in our history have had some great playoff wins.  Herm's Jets beat the Manning Colts 41-0 in a home playoff game.  Doesn't mean either Rex or Herm were good coaches nor are they deserving of our admiration or love.  They sucked.

But we can argue over the relative degree each did suck. We're Jets fans. What else do we have to talk about?

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You have to wonder how much of both BP and BB leaving was Woody.  BP probably felt obligated to the franchise to stabilize things before he left.  BB was still considered a question mark at HC at that point and he already had a not great run with the Browns.  He knew it might have been his last chance to get a HC job and he didn't want to mess around with that opportunity by wasting it with the idiot Johnson Brothers.  

i think Kraft stole Belichick as   revenge against Parcells for leaving him and taking his best player in Curtis Martin.

i think Kraft would have paid anything to screw Parcells

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A decade?  How do you figure?  The 2 years of Kotite were followed immediately after by Bill Parcells.  If Hess could've stayed alive, I think there's a good chance Belichick would've been ours.  

Exactly.  Hess made Bellichick probably the top paid DC with the understanding he's take over when Parcells moved on....unfortunately, Hess then died.

Bellichick is a cheat and traitor...no surprise, I know

3 hours ago, jgb said:

But we can argue over the relative degree each did suck. We're Jets fans. What else do we have to talk about?

Sure, but the idea that anyone has positive feelings for any of these losers over the last 2 decades is what I’m talking about.  Not so much the “relative suck” aspect.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but the idea that anyone has positive feelings for any of these losers over the last 2 decades is what I’m talking about.  Not so much the “relative suck” aspect.  

2 AFCC appearances with a terrible QB when you and I both agree that a QB is basically everything and coaches are essentially defined by whether they have a good QB or a bad one. Rex deserves some credit. If he had Andy Dalton he makes a SB or two. That's pretty extraordinary. He was the best of the bunch, which isn't perhaps saying much but it is saying something. It takes some skill to accomplish that with a trash QB. Rex nostalgia is not insane.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, jgb said:

2 AFCC appearances with a terrible QB when you and I both agree that a QB is basically everything and coaches are essentially defined by whether they have a good QB or a bad one. Rex deserves some credit. If he had Andy Dalton he makes a SB or two. That's pretty extraordinary. He was the best of the bunch, which isn't perhaps saying much but it is saying something. It takes some skill to accomplish that with a trash QB. Rex nostalgia is not insane.

The 2009-10 Jets were one of those extremely rare anomalies where the roster was so good it “hid the QB”.  Similar to the Dilfer Ravens and Brad Johnson Bucs, except this was after the Ty Law rule went into effect, and of course neither Jets team reached the Super Bowl.  

I give him credit for drawing up some excellent defensive gameplans over those 2 years and especially in the postseason.  But those achievements don’t erase the next 6 years of his career, in which the league figured out what he was doing and he also got GMs fired for not one but 2 franchises.  

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 2009-10 Jets were one of those extremely rare anomalies where the roster was so good it “hid the QB”.  Similar to the Dilfer Ravens and Brad Johnson Bucs, except this was after the Ty Law rule went into effect, and of course neither Jets team reached the Super Bowl.  

I give him credit for drawing up some excellent defensive gameplans over those 2 years and especially in the postseason.  But those achievements don’t erase the next 6 years of his career, in which the league figured out what he was doing and he also got GMs fired for not one but 2 franchises.  

Yeah there really isn’t much disagreement here. Let’s hope we have something better to remember fondly than Rex Ryan when we are old(er) men.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

so if Rex got us to the SB would that do it or did he have to win it.? or could nothing in your mind erase the end?

and when exactly did they figure out his defense? i was looking at the ranks and Rex had a top 10 defense every year but 2013 when it was 11th.

BTW i dont care about what happened in Buffalo. were talking Rexs Jet Legacy. and he didnt get Tanny fired and Idzk fired himself for not spending all that cap money he had. he didnt help Rex out at all.

i think i know what your talking about.. points given up. i am talking abouts yards given up. 

2009 1st in yds 1st in pts.. 2010 3rd in yds 6th in pts.. 2011 5th and 20th... 2012 8th and 20th... 2013 11th and 18th.... 2014 6th and 24th.

now i know what your going to say. pts is more important. but not what where talking about.

look at 2011 for example. how does a team give up the 5th least yds in the league but the 20th most points? thats a huge difference. just like in 2012 and 2014. 

so how does that happen? fumbles and pick 6s. we had 4 fumbles return for a TD and 3 pick 6s.. thats 49 points. the Jets had 363 (20th) pts minus the offensives scores against makes 314. that makes them the 7th best defense in pts. 

2012 was the same. 3 fumbles, 1 kick off and one punt, one INT. that 42 pts. thats brings then down to 11th. 

now your going to say that all teams have the same thing. and you would be right. but PA is not the right way to judge a defense when offense and ST contribute to the number. the best way is yds against and Rex is one of the best. at least as a Jet.

nobody figured his defense out. not here.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

NY Jets record first 3 seasons

Parcells 

1st yr 8 - 8

2nd yr 12 - 4 lost AFCC

3rd yr 9 - 7

29 wins - 19 losses - 1 win - 1 loss post season

Rex 

1st yr 9 - 7 lost AFCC

2nd yr 11 - 5 lost AFCC

3rd yr 8 - 8

28 wins - 20 losses - 4 wins - 2 losses post season

Virtually identical regular season win and loss percentages, but Parcells is a God and Rex a $hitbum. Rexs mistake was not getting out of Dodge like  Parcells did. Both of Rexs losing seasons came at the end of the Sanchez and Geno eras. 

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Praising him for almost being able to win with the trash quarterback he picked is insane.

7 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

NY Jets record first 3 seasons

Parcells 

1st yr 8 - 8

2nd yr 12 - 4 lost AFCC

3rd yr 9 - 7

29 wins - 19 losses - 1 win - 1 loss post season

Rex 

1st yr 9 - 7 lost AFCC

2nd yr 11 - 5 lost AFCC

3rd yr 8 - 8

28 wins - 20 losses - 4 wins - 2 losses post season

Virtually identical regular season win and loss percentages, but Parcells is a God and Rex a $hitbum. Rexs mistake was not getting out of Dodge like  Parcells did. Both of Rexs losing seasons came at the end of the Sanchez and Geno eras. 

Rex took over a team that went 9-7 the year before his arrival. 

4 hours ago, doitny said:

is it? how many HC get to the AFCCG with trash QBs? not many i bet.

With the exception of the first half of Pittsburgh game Sanchez played well in the playoffs. Managed the game and made big throws we he needed to. I Liked the kid Sanchez ( kinda reminds me of Darnold as he said all the right things faced all the tough questions from the media and never ran away ) too bad he didn’t grow into a good QB 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex took over a team that went 9-7 the year before his arrival. 

Rex took over a 9 - 7 team with a HOF QB, that had the 18th ranked defense and that sat home for the playoffs. Mangini was supposed to be a defensive genius.

In 1 offseason, Rex took a rookie QB to the AFC Championship. The Jets defense went from the 18th to 1st in the NFL.

• Like 1

Rex—who hasn’t even been interviewed for a coaching job at ANY level since Buffalo threw him out on his ass, has said that he’ll only take a head coaching job where he gets top dollar and has full control. The only person dumb enough to consider that is Woody Johnson. Rex is a drunken mess forced into retirement by his loutishness and his history of machiavellian bullsh*t to get his GMs fired. No one is bringing that sh*t into their building.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Rex should have gone the Vet QB route. 2009 wasnt a good QB draft and neither was 2010.

He was trying to build the Jets for the long haul and took a gamble.

The Jets were already built for the long haul, then Rex and Tannenbaum started replacing high-character respected vets with Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Wayne Hunter, Cromartie, etc. Once the Mangini-era talent started falling off, Rex turned Florham Park into a school for troubled 32 year olds

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rex—who hasn’t even been interviewed for a coaching job at ANY level since Buffalo threw him out on his ass, has said that he’ll only take a head coaching job where he gets top dollar and has full control. The only person dumb enough to consider that is Woody Johnson. Rex is a drunken mess forced into retirement by his loutishness and his history of machiavellian bullsh*t to get his GMs fired. No one is bringing that sh*t into their building.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were already built for the long haul, then Rex and Tannenbaum started replacing high-character respected vets with Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Wayne Hunter, Cromartie, etc. Once the Mangini-era talent started falling off, Rex turned Florham Park into a school for troubled 32 year olds

I'm still a Mangini fan but has he had a sniff at a HC job since SF?  (not sure btw.  Legit asking).

And if you're not a Rex or Mangini fan then who do you give the credit to for those 2 AFC CG runs?

FTR, I do think the Jets fell apart under Rex and I don't want him as our HC but I think he gets too much crap overall from Jet fans.  To win 4 road playoff games in his first 2 seasons CANNOT be written off.  And beating Belichick in a playoff game in New England was an incredible feat (feel free to make "feet" jokes here).   A crap HC wouldn't have done what Rex did those 2 years.  That said, they did fall apart after that and Rex was also not good in Buffalo.  It's hard to fully understand what the story is (and goes to show how many variables go into winning in the NFL) but I'll still defend Rex to some degree.  That said, I was happy when he finally got fired and I do look back at him as somewhat of a buffoon.  Lol

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm still a Mangini fan but has he had a sniff at a HC job since SF?  (not sure btw.  Legit asking).

And if you're not a Rex or Mangini fan then who do you give the credit to for those 2 AFC CG runs?

FTR, I do think the Jets fell apart under Rex and I don't want him as our HC but I think he gets too much crap overall from Jet fans.  To win 4 road playoff games in his first 2 seasons CANNOT be written off.  And beating Belichick in a playoff game in New England was an incredible feat (feel free to make "feet" jokes here).   A crap HC wouldn't have done what Rex did those 2 years.  That said, they did fall apart after that and Rex was also not good in Buffalo.  It's hard to fully understand what the story is (and goes to show how many variables go into winning in the NFL) but I'll still defend Rex to some degree.  That said, I was happy when he finally got fired and I do look back at him as somewhat of a buffoon.  Lol

Rex was a really cool substitute teacher and as soon as the players realized he was never going to assert a shred of discipline, they turned into Animal Farm. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rex was a really cool substitute teacher and as soon as the players realized he was never going to assert a shred of discipline, they turned into Animal Farm. 

I don't think we'd have gone to 2 straight AFC CGs if that were the case though (and had 4 road playoff wins, including one at New England against Belichick/Brady).  Even in the famous year when Woody was in the locker room announcing Rex was coming back (another very embarrassing moment in Jet history), the Jets had IIRC won 3 straight games.  They didn't just give up and take advantage of the HC.

I mean, I get everything you're saying and, on a certain level, fully agree with you.  But it still doesn't quite add up to me.  I think these things are just more complicated than we, as fans, can understand.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think we'd have gone to 2 straight AFC CGs if that were the case though (and had 4 road playoff wins, including one at New England against Belichick/Brady).  Even in the famous year when Woody was in the locker room announcing Rex was coming back (another very embarrassing moment in Jet history), the Jets had IIRC won 3 straight games.  They didn't just give up and take advantage of the HC.

I mean, I get everything you're saying and, on a certain level, fully agree with you.  But it still doesn't quite add up to me.  I think these things are just more complicated than we, as fans, can understand.

I think if you could pay Rex to show up and coach your team for eight games, he’ d be well worth the money and he’d be successful. But if you want him to coach your program for multiple years, he’s going to sabotage the team, sabotage the franchise, and sabotage himself. He loves the drama.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if you could pay Rex to show up and coach your team for eight games, he’ d be well worth the money and he’d be successful. But if you want him to coach your program for multiple years, he’s going to sabotage the team, sabotage the franchise, and sabotage himself. He loves the drama.

I definitely agree with the stuff in bold.  I'm not certain about the other stuff (him being successful for 8 games) at this point though.  I feel like he can be a bowling ball with butcher knives of a HC and just cut up the franchise.

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not who. What. Rex and Tannenbaum had stupid, crazy ideas about how to build a football team but they were the same stupid, crazy ideas, and that's why they had more success than the Jets have had at any other time in the last fifteen years in spite of the fact that the stupidest and craziest of those ideas, Sanchez, effectively closed their contending window before it opened. The credit goes to the power of having everybody on the same page. And Revis.

37 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Not who. What. Rex and Tannenbaum had stupid, crazy ideas about how to build a football team but they were the same stupid, crazy ideas, and that's why they had more success than the Jets have had at any other time in the last fifteen years in spite of the fact that the stupidest and craziest of those ideas, Sanchez, effectively closed their contending window before it opened. The credit goes to the power of having everybody on the same page. And Revis.

At least they had ideas. Douglas drafting a 400lb headcase isn’t an idea.

2 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Rex took over a 9 - 7 team with a HOF QB, that had the 18th ranked defense and that sat home for the playoffs. Mangini was supposed to be a defensive genius.

In 1 offseason, Rex took a rookie QB to the AFC Championship. The Jets defense went from the 18th to 1st in the NFL.

Ok now do the roster Mangini took over.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1