Poll: What are your feelings on these people in Jet history?

Poll: What are your feelings on these people in Jet history?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Leon Hess

• Loveable
    • I'm indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • I don't want to respond to this question but I have to fill in an answer to respond to the other questions in this poll
  2. 2. Herm Edwards

• Loveable
    • I'm indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • I don't want to respond to this question but I have to fill in an answer to respond to the other questions in this poll
  3. 3. Bill Parcells

• Positive
    • Indifferent
    • Negative
    • It's complicated
  4. 4. Todd Bowles

• It wasn't his fault
    • Indifferent
    • He wasn't a good HC
    • I'm still not sure
  5. 5. Rex Ryan

• Positive feelings
    • Indifferent
    • Negative feelings
    • It's complicated
  6. 6. Joe Douglas

• I'm still optimistic
    • I'm pessimistic
    • Undecided

On 11/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Leon Hess -- Indifferent, he's really before my time.

Herm -- I remember pieces of his era fondly, but I think overall I'd say negative. It's hard not to feel like he squandered some talented teams even if he seems like a good guy.

Parcells -- Positive. Best Jets coach of my lifetime and set the table for the most successful era of Jets football since Weeb. I don't think you can blame him for Belichick going to the Pats, as unfortunate as that was.

Bowles -- Good DC, not a good head coach. I think with a talented roster he could succeed to a certain degree but with Mac he had no shot.

Rex -- Got to be "it's complicated." The highest of highs, the lowest of lows. Took a talented team deep in the playoffs twice, doesn't get enough blame for the deterioration of the roster.

Joe Douglas -- Still optimistic, but that is waning for sure.

After the Jets lost to Denver in the AFC Championship game, Leon Hess, who was like 88 years old, greeted the entire team as they were walking off the plane at like 2:30 am in the morning at the airport.  He shook every player and coaches hand to thank them for the season as they got off the plane.  Bill Parcells said it was something that he will never forget for the rest of his life.

That sums up Leon Hess to me.  Bill Parcells said that when Hess called him on the phone, the only question he used to ask Bill is:  "Is there anything you need from me?"  That's how Parcells felt about Leon Hess.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

At least they had ideas. Douglas drafting a 400lb headcase isn’t an idea.

That is one missed draft pick. I'm with you but it is a drop in the ocean. Douglas is a careerist is all. It's not an accident these goofballs are sitting around debating what year it is. He punted 2020 by holding over Gase and Darnold without having to acknowledge it because people were too dumb to have recognized it for what it was. The conversation at that point was more along the lines of, is Sammy Pie better than Dak Prescott (yes) and by how much (lots).

If you need to change the coach and the quarterback, you change the coach and the quarterback. Pushing back the rebuild for a year so you can get a head start on the rebuild isn't an idea. Acquiring talent in a vacuum with the expectation that a bunch of players are just going to be repurposed to TBD roles in TBD schemes by TBD coach and instantly turn into a football team isn't an idea.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were already built for the long haul, then Rex and Tannenbaum started replacing high-character respected vets with Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Wayne Hunter, Cromartie, etc. Once the Mangini-era talent started falling off, Rex turned Florham Park into a school for troubled 32 year olds

Who was the Jets QB of the future?

High character Farve propositioning that female Jets sideline reporter via text with pics of his little smokie? 

Thomas Jones and Leon Washington were on the downhill slide and never achieved the same success that they had with the Jets. Shaun Ellis got paid millions to play dominoes in the New England locker room. He was a ghost defensively and spent physically. Faneca played 1 more season after leaving NY and called it a career.

Rex brought in players that turned the 18th ranked defense into the best # 1 defense in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Who was the Jets QB of the future?

High character Farve propositioning that female Jets sideline reporter via text with pics of his little smokie? 

Thomas Jones and Leon Washington were on the downhill slide and never achieved the same success that they had with the Jets. Shaun Ellis got paid millions to play dominoes in the New England locker room. He was a ghost defensively and spent physically. Faneca played 1 more season after leaving NY and called it a career.

Rex brought in players that turned the 18th ranked defense into the best # 1 defense in the NFL.

Uh, no.  Revis having the greatest CB season in NFL history did that.  Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard were nice additions to an already solid core, nothing more. 

Loen Hess.  Self made billionaire respect the heck out of him.  Sucked as the Jets owner but clean bathrooms and Hess Trucks were both highly under rated.  Also he took Bob Kraft to the woodshed.

Rex Ryan-Would like to go drinking with him but suspect he's a mean drunk and their would be a wicked fight at some point.

Herm Edwards-My favorite Christmas dwarf-Dopey

Bill Parcells-Complex manipulator with a great understanding of human nature.  Only held back by his inability to understand that  QB's actually matter.

Todd Bowles-Under rated tactician on D.  Probably would have been a good HC if he wasn't saddled with Mac and was less of a team player.  TBD when he gets another shot.

Joe Douglas-Generally following the plan that every crappy, rebuilding team in the NFL follows due to the league structure.  Low risk guy who probably picked Saleh because Woody thought he was a leader of men.  Ultimately will have to decide if having safeties play LB in the Northeast is really the kind of Defense he believes in.   Will be good in his next job with an owner who won't tell him what HC to hire.