OC Garrett fired. Mid season.

Dcat

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The Giants situation is a classic example of a plan gone bad.

Curious to know the Giant hierarchical structure. Does the coach answer to the GM  or does the GM and coach answer to ownership equally? Who’s decision was it to select Garret as OC?

Advice from Woody Johnson?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

And if he doesn't, he should be fired forthwith. After the tar and feathers.  When I say he sucked, it wasn't a euphemism.  La Fleur is seriously the worst OC in the NFL.  He's that bad.  Saleh should have never hired his good friend for the job.  That is almost always a critical managerial mistake and Saleh begins his career with it.  Both these guys are at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL.  I guess the only way to move is up, so yeah... sure... LaFleur has been "better".  All while getting blown out in two of the last three games.  His "better" is still NFL garbage.

You realize the Jets currently have a top 10 passing offense in the whole league right now. Not sure what all the hate towards Lafleur is about. He had a rockie start but had been great as of late 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This is Joe Judge's second year... ominous sign. Push your chips in now - the Giants will have a new GM in January and in all likelihood, a new head coach - whether it be this season or next. The Giants will likely force Judge on the new GM only for Judge to get fired the following year to hire 'their guy'.

Quarterback is a different story. I would say they draft a QB but there is no prospect worth drafting in the first. I think they stick with Jones for another year and maybe take one in the top 5 in 2023. You know Jones will be out, it's just a matter of time.

The Giants make the Jets look good.

Stop, ?

Nobody makes the Jets look good. How can you watch our games and even think it’s close to true?

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I consider myself more of an elitist prick, rather than just a lowly jerk.

Still, I’ll take either over being an illiterate malcontent that can’t stop showcasing it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pleasefireSelahnow said:

Jason Garrett will be a coaching candidate in a couple years when Saleh gets fired and no one else wants the job, mark my words!

Garrett is a good coach who has had a lot of success in the biggest pressure cooker of them all. 

Him going to to the Giants Was akin to Gase coming here. It was destined to fail. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

LaFleur is towards the very bottom of why the Jets are 2-8. When Zach Wilson was skipping passes to WIDE OPEN receivers, I'm certain that Mike LaFleur didn't call for passes that left a divot in front of the receiver's feet. 

When I think of Zach Wilson right now, I think of that awful screen pass he threw at the RB's feet - BRUTAL!  

4 minutes ago, pleasefireSelahnow said:

Yeah its mind boggling how this kid is more accurate on a 50 yard pass than a 5 yard pass.

On the bright side, it's much easier to coach short passes into somebody than long ones. He has a high ceiling

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Journeyman 3rd stringer Josh Johnson came off the bench to throw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs in this scheme.  Mike White, who had never played an NFL snap before, had the first 400+ yard game by a Jet QB in 21 years.

But yeah.  It's the OC that's the problem with this team and has been for decades.  Paul Hackett, Mike Heimerdinger, Brian Schottenheimer, Tony Sparano, Marty Mornhinweg, Chan Gailey, Jeremy Bates, Gase/Loggains, Mike Lafleur....It's always the OC that's the biggest problem with this franchise, isn't it?  Once you get rid of the OC everything will get better guys!

That list is very depressing.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Journeyman 3rd stringer Josh Johnson came off the bench to throw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs in this scheme.  Mike White, who had never played an NFL snap before, had the first 400+ yard game by a Jet QB in 21 years.

But yeah.  It's the OC that's the problem with this team and has been for decades.  Paul Hackett, Mike Heimerdinger, Brian Schottenheimer, Tony Sparano, Marty Mornhinweg, Chan Gailey, Jeremy Bates, Gase/Loggains, Mike Lafleur....It's always the OC that's the biggest problem with this franchise, isn't it?  Once you get rid of the OC everything will get better guys!

So very true.   You can not scheme around poor QB play.   Its funny how the perception of a coach changes when players are capable of executing a play properly.  This league will always be about the players, if you don’t have them you aren’t winning regardless of who’s coaching. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So very true.   You can not scheme around poor QB play.   Its funny how the perception of a coach changes when players are capable of executing a play properly.  This league will always be about the players, if you don’t have them you aren’t winning regardless of who’s coaching. 

Jason Garrett is the latest victim of this. 

• Upvote 1

One of the very few enjoyable things about this season.  So many "weapons" on the offensive side of the ball.  So much potential.  So little to show for it.  The stench that comes out of MetLife must be unbearable for anyone within a 30 -mile radius.

19 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

For the record, the thesis behind hiring a guy like Garrett is that you want a guy with experience to mold a young QB. 

Remember when Lafleur was a bad choice because he didn't have enough experience? 

Fans don't realize that good OCs with years of positive results are either head coaches or already an OC somewhere else and not making a lateral move to another team. 

Generally, when you are choosing an OC, you are either getting an experienced guy with prior failures (or else they wouldn't be available) or you are getting a young guy that is highly regarded but lacks experience. 

In the end, there will always be a reason to hate an OC or DC if they don't do well. 

Sure--these premises are all correct. Garrett was going to get another job as a HC or OC because he has a fair amount of experience at both. Coaching staffs are always made up of guys who didn't succeed somewhere else because there aren't enough ascendant coaches in the league who are consistently great at higher positions and stop before they've exceeded their capacity. As a head coach you have to consider the facts of a hire's history--specifically why they failed in the past--and work around it. That's true of hiring employees anywhere. You have to hire people who are not perfect and manage them to perform their best. 

If you look at Garrett's history this was a setup for failure. He only worked for one team where the GM/owner had special affinity for him and lost every interview he had with every other team. His offenses looked their best with a great roster where the players bailed out the coaching rather than the coaching maximizing the value of the roster. He was terrible at in-game adjustments despite more than a decade of OC/HC experience. He did for the Giants exactly what he did for Dallas. He's just not a guy who runs an offense in-game well. I get that maybe as a long term former QB and with Prescott's success Garrett would make sense to coach up a young QB but he's at best a QB coach--but even that is probably a stretch. If Jerry Jones did not have such affinity for Garrett then he'd probably be a QB coach at a small Div I school at most but he's going to ride that NFL experience right down to the end of his career. 

As much as I think White should have played against Miami, it could be interesting now to see what Zach learned while watching how this offense should be run.  If he can buy into it, he could be deadly.  This offense could lull people to sleep, and he has the cannon of an arm and improvisational skills to hit on big plays regularly.  He just has to stop playing sandlot ball and going for the big play every time.

• 2 weeks later...