Too Positive vs Too Negative New York Jet Fans

DoomProphet

Last night I was on guest on "Let's Talk Jets Radio" and we discussed a myriad of topics including addressing the fans who think we are "too negative".

To those fans I say:  I would love to celebrating a winning team but as Bill Parcells famously said "You are what your record is." and at 2-8 there hasn't been much to celebrate this year. I call it like I see them and telling the truth doesn't make me less of fan.

I'd be more than happy to listen to your side if you explain why I am wrong and an intelligent mature way. I would love for you to be right and that everything will be great with the Jets but I need to see results first because this fan base has been promised over and over a better product and the results have been the same.

Let me know what you guys think:
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

We stink. 2-8 is the record of a team that stinks. But if you can't be excited for the future of this team, you might as well delete your profile because there is not point to being here.

I am excited about MC and Elijah Moore and Zach's development. I just need to see more results that's all.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, DoomProphet said:

Last night I was on guest on "Let's Talk Jets Radio" and we discussed a myriad of topics including addressing the fans who think we are "too negative".

To those fans I say:  I would love to celebrating a winning team but as Bill Parcells famously said "You are what your record is." and at 2-8 there hasn't been much to celebrate this year. I call it like I see them and telling the truth doesn't make me less of fan.

I'd be more than happy to listen to your side if you explain why I am wrong and an intelligent mature way. I would love for you to be right and that everything will be great with the Jets but I need to see results first because this fan base has been promised over and over a better product and the results have been the same.

Which guy are you on the podcast?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoomProphet said:

The best way to be a Jets fan is to have zero expectations regarding on-field performance.  Consider that it is going to be awful as it has been, is and will continue to be, if and until the team is sold and sold to a new owner that can hire people who can successfully run a winning football team.

Since that is not going to happen anytime soon, or ever for that matter consider game time at home or at the stadium as three hours to relax or have a tailgate.  

I put the game on either the radio if I'm outside or on the TV if I'm inside, but I always make sure I have something else to do to keep my mind occupied.  Yard work outside or some task or project inside while the game is on.  It's never wasted time.

With respect to winning on the field, the Jets organization is awful.  It starts at the top and no change there is in site.  

That is not negative trolling.  It's fact. 

Combine the games with something else you enjoy and you can't go wrong. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, DoomProphet said:

The thing Saleh said the other day made sense to me and gives me hope. He talked about his previous coaching jobs where he participated in rebuilding 4 other teams, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle, and San Francisco. At each stop he saw the process and what it takes for success. He said the first year here has not surprised him because he’s seen this before and he’s confident that the plan is in place and has worked before. I think he knows what he’s doing and so does Douglas and I’m willing to be patient because previous quick fixes have only led to occasional wild card appearances and no consistent sustainable results. No one will be happy until it works but I’ve waited since 1969 so I’m good at waiting. 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My main thought is it has nothing to do with the Jets.  Every fan base is like this. And every fan base argues about it.  It’s just human nature.  

In my humble opinion, the overly positive or overly negative doesn’t bother me.  My main issues are the seemingly overwhelming need of many to be “right” about things that aren’t concrete.  And then others who don’t apply any reasoning as to why the reach their conclusions, but damn you if you contest it, even respectfully.

This plus the constant need to start threads. If you are miserable, that’s your problem, but it is like some people get off on creating threads to complain or as you say, say “I told you so”. I ignore as much as I can but it is relentless with some of the posters on here, then the pathetic troll(s) with all of the usernames. Enough. 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My main thought is it has nothing to do with the Jets.  Every fan base is like this. And every fan base argues about it.  It’s just human nature.  

In a general sense this is true.

I do think the Jets fanbase (relative to most) has fewer homers and more cynics, though... And I also think there's a segment of the fanbase that truly thrives on negativity in a way you won't often see with most fanbases.

• Upvote 2

there are two reasons to be optimistic.  the first is that it certainly looks like douglas has a more professional organization to work with.  the front office is actually addressing the needs of the team as opposed to going bpa or only drafting defensive tackles or safeties when other positions go unadressed.  douglas is also not handing out too many long term free agent contracts and he certainly wasn't shy about sending darnold on his way.

the second point is that the ny market is just too large to ignore so there is more money to be made by woody and the clearest way to do that is by getting a really good team fielded.  granted woody has misfired on many hires but he seems to have gotten it right with douglas. krafty would probably cut the patsies loose if he didn't have so much success.

• Upvote 1

When optimism turns delusional or creating your own reality is where I have a problem.  You see this a lot when "optimistic" Jets fans talk about JD or Wilson.  You can root for people to succeed and also live in the real world were JD has made tons of mistakes and WIlson has been awful so far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

The best way to be a Jets fan is to have zero expectations regarding on-field performance.  Consider that it is going to be awful as it has been, is and will continue to be, if and until the team is sold and sold to a new owner that can hire people who can successfully run a winning football team.

Since that is not going to happen anytime soon, or ever for that matter consider game time at home or at the stadium as three hours to relax or have a tailgate.  

I put the game on either the radio if I'm outside or on the TV if I'm inside, but I always make sure I have something else to do to keep my mind occupied.  Yard work outside or some task or project inside while the game is on.  It's never wasted time.

With respect to winning on the field, the Jets organization is awful.  It starts at the top and no change there is in site.  

That is not negative trolling.  It's fact. 

Combine the games with something else you enjoy and you can't go wrong. 

That's great advice.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Which guy are you on the podcast?

I'm the guy at the bottom of the screen. I'm John. The other 2 guys Kevin and Tyrone they are from LTJR. It's my favorite Jets YT channel out there. They are hilarious and very informative! Definitely recommend them to any Jet fan.

I understand the frustration of continuous losing, but in my opinion quoting Pacells “you are what your record is” is just lazy. It’s easy to be pessimistic. That statement does not take into consideration a true rebuild which I truly believe we are going through with an actual plan for once. If you just have the attitude of it sucks let’s do something else halfway into a season with a rookie head coach and a roster starting the most rookies in the nfl, including the QB, then you are not thinking rationally in my opinion. I mean with that attitude you’d say get rid of Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman, and a bunch of other rookie Cowboys when they went 1-15 their first year together. Like I said this is just my opinion and I’m old enough to realize I am wrong as much as I am right in life so no offense to anyone with a different opinion. 

• Upvote 1

The NFL is a league where winning isn't the goal of ownership.  Eyeballs on the product is the goal.  Jacking up the tv viewership and revenue is the goal.

The system is designed to have an even distribution of talent based on a draft and a cap along with a draft system that favors the weak at the expense of the strong the natural thinking of any rational fan base is we will rise and others will fall. That's the design of competitive balance in the NFL.

Based on that alone the odds are the Jets will improve at the expense of better teams everything else being equal.   No reason for fans of bad teams not to be optimistic.  You don't need great management you just need competent management.

Obviously on the other side of the Jets ledger tails has come up an amazing amount of times even though every throw is 50/50.  We must be jinxed or we must have an unexplained anchor that's throwing off the natural design of the NFL to create competitive balance.

The reason to be pessamistic is the Jets have been incredibly unlucky to buck the odds for this amount of time.  

Being optimistic is actually rational.  Being pessamistic is simply our prehistoric brains recognizing that were all going to die if we don't get our asses out of the cold before dark. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I mean there’s a HUGE difference between being a vet team and having a poor record like the giants and having a poor record and being a young team like the jets. As far as I’m concerned people can be negative all they want idc it’s not going to effect me any. I am negative when it comes to certain things like how sh*tty Mosley is on that massive contract. Big picture however I’m fairly positive because of how young the team is and how much draft capital and cap space we have. The future is much brighter now then it’s been in a long time. 

• Upvote 1

I was a homer for many years. Until 2012, when Rex stopped caring about player character and started bringing in sh*theads like Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. That started the decline, and unbelievably ridiculous drafts since then have continued it. The only bright spot we have had in about ten years is the 2021 draft. And even that will be tarnished if Zach busts.

At this point, I don’t blame anyone for hating the Jets and trashing them relentlessly. They deserve it.  

• Upvote 1

I like JD and Saleh. These are the first hires here since Bill Parcells that were highly regarded around the league at the time of their hire. I get that it’s ugly right now, but I also get it: JD traded valuable assets for draft capital that’s still coming. Those teams got an immediate boost, the Jets gave up players and have 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks coming next year. They put the team behind in that regard the last couple years. And yet, still, they have young players playing really well on an otherwise no so great football team. 

And the other thing is this: if I’m not rooting for these guys, and just bitching and moaning, what am I even doing? The team’s best hope is that Douglas and Saleh are successful and here for the long term. The alternative is just more of the never-ending revolving door. Am I happy? No. I don’t like the losses. I despise the blowouts. But I’m not gonna bother myself by getting emotional about **** I can’t control. Intellectually, I understand that the best possible outcome is JD/Saleh/Zach being the championship triad. So I root for that without the crying. Does that make me, “too positive?” I don’t know, and I don’t care. I have an understanding of what they’re trying to do, and I’m fully behind them in their attempt. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My main issues are the seemingly overwhelming need of many to be “right” about things that aren’t concrete.  And then others who don’t apply any reasoning as to why the reach their conclusions, but damn you if you contest it, even respectfully.

Can’t believe you’re hammering @Integrity28 right out in the open like this!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

My opinion is that if you’re overcome with optimism about this team, you deserve zero listeners and zero engagement. 

7 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

If you need to see results first why do you call yourself "DoomProphet"? 

Whos going to explain how and why youre wrong?  Its your choice to see the glass half empty or half full and at the end of the day it means nothing, changes nothing.  No one is winning or losing a game either way.

18 hours ago, DoomProphet said:

Nothing wrong with being honest or critical.  However I think many go too far and are too doom and gloom.  Yes our record is not good BUT the young kids who we expect to help this team flourish in the future have shown a lot of good progress.  Obviously Wilson’s injury has been a bummer but he is back now and we should be excited about that and how his approach will be after having weeks off to watch and learn more 

• Upvote 1