Team Building and Speculation Thread

So the 2022 draft prospect thread has become a general offseason thread but I’m hoping to move Free agency and team building topics here. Basically, I think debating the Jets overall strategy  has taken away from discussing prospects in the other thread. I think the topic is worthy of discussion but takes away from the prospect talk. 

1. CJ Mosley is gonna cost $20 million next year and can’t really be cut. That’s insane and I hate Maccagnan for it.

2. Jesse Bates should be the primary FA target for JD. Alleviates so much in terms of drafting and roster building to get him locked in as soon as possible.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the 2022 draft prospect thread has become a general offseason thread but I’m hoping to move Free agency and team building topics here. Basically, I think debating the Jets overall strategy  has tak

I think it’s obvious that Mims doesn’t have a future here.  That being the case, Cole, Berrios and Crowder are all FAs, leaving just Moore and Davis as the only WRs who have seen significant playing t

Great discussion from smart posters in this thread.  Draft Forum >>> Main Forum.

Posted Images

Here’s some information from Overthecap

95E373CA-7598-4894-AFA8-749EED956C1F.thumb.jpeg.efd6d4589fe49644b081ad5efc73c701.jpeg

Some possible cuts in here that will help add cap space.

Good as gone

Ryan Griffin - saves $3 million

GVR- saves $3.5 million

Shaq Lawson- Saves $9 million

Debatable

Connor McGovern - Saves $9 million

Sheldon Rankins - Saves $5.5 million

Justin Hardee - Saves $2 million

Safe 

George Fant- Saves $9.65 million 

Cutting the top group puts the team at around $70 million in cap space. At that point the JD has a bunch of money to spend on extending the talent and make 2 or 3 signings. 

• Upvote 3

Totally agree with you on Bates. This safety draft class seems decent but I think better to spend those picks elsewhere. I don’t know if Douglas will do it but I’d love to see him start there.

I’ve talked about it ad nauseam but McGovern and Fant (and Van Roten) expire after this season. Douglas always likes to draft key needs a year early, usually somewhere in the round 3-4 range. Center is a funny position though since there aren’t too many, and I could see taking the tackle earlier. A developmental tackle fits super neatly since Moses’ roster spot likely opens up and Fant will probably need to be replaced - think they need someone with more pop in the run game. With Becton being injured so much having a guy develop and a year in the system before deciding if he’ll play on the right or left side would be good too.

Right guard is obviously a crater and I don’t know how they’ll address it. I kind of expect them to go into the draft with a reclamation project depth piece and either take Linderbaum and a guard in the fourth or fifth or a guard in the second or third and center in the fourth or fifth.

Tight end and linebacker need bodies in FA. Pretty badly. What they do I guess will depend on draft capital but I’d expect 2-3 guys at each position this offseason between FA and the draft.

Very curious what happens with Fatukasi. They’ve built a little depth so not an urgent need and I don’t think his skill set will be expensive but I think Shepherd is a FA too and so they may need to add depth. Hopefully they like how Marshall is coming along. How aggressive they are at DT may be indicative of what they want to do with Williams long term.

This edge class runs so deep I’d like them to draft two. I kind of doubt they will but especially with a premium position just lean into the strength of the draft. They have such different archetypes on the two sides they use anyway that it’s basically two different positions and with the heavy rotations those guys will play.

• Upvote 2
19 hours ago, kdels62 said:

95E373CA-7598-4894-AFA8-749EED956C1F.thumb.jpeg.efd6d4589fe49644b081ad5efc73c701.jpeg

Good as gone

GVR- saves $3.5 million

Debatable

Safe 

Cutting the top group puts the team at around $70 million in cap space. At that point the JD has a bunch of money to spend on extending the talent and make 2 or 3 signings. 

There’s a 0% chance they cut McGovern or Fant. Both have been outstanding 

On 11/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, kdels62 said:

Good as gone

GVR- saves $3.5 million

Debatable

Safe 

not sure it will happen, but I could see mosley and the jets getting a restructured contract together.  Not sure what that would look like but its something i could see JD exploring to add even more space.  

The cap is going to jump quite a bit too, interesting to see what guys make it fo FA. Bates would be a nice addition, there is a decent safety crop out there currently.  Marcus Williams, Quandre Diggs as far as guys that can cover and also have played in similar systems. 

I think adding depth is going to be key in FA.  I like a lot of guys but who knows who will hit FA 

As always JD has to look into closing as many holes before the draft as possible so that he can go in and truly go BPA and not have to fill needs. Balance out the roster in FA then add playmakers at the BPA in the draft

13 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

not sure it will happen, but I could see mosley and the jets getting a restructured contract together.  Not sure what that would look like but its something i could see JD exploring to add even more space.  

The cap is going to jump quite a bit too, interesting to see what guys make it fo FA. Bates would be a nice addition, there is a decent safety crop out there currently.  Marcus Williams, Quandre Diggs as far as guys that can cover and also have played in similar systems. 

I think adding depth is going to be key in FA.  I like a lot of guys but who knows who will hit FA 

As always JD has to look into closing as many holes before the draft as possible so that he can go in and truly go BPA and not have to fill needs. Balance out the roster in FA then add playmakers at the BPA in the draft

I’m looking at Mo Allie-Cox as a good TE signing that would be tame but helpful. 

• Upvote 2

Why are you higher on bates than Marcus Williams? Both are 24-25 FS and have similar production. I have them about equal. Marcus Williams seems to be having a better season than bates this year also. I 100% agree that they should be looked at very strongly this off-season 

Connor Williams is a former 2nd round pick guard for the cowboys. From his rookie year he’s been improving every year. This season he’s been having some major penalty issues and was just benched for it. This may help him fly under the radar in FA. This season seems like an outlier in the penalty department. He usually has around 4-6 a season and in 2021 he already has 13. He has a ton of talent and if he can clean this up he can be a pro bowl guard for a very long time. 

Continuing with the cowboys Dalton Shultz is going to be a FA. He’s the cowboys starting TE. He’s also very young at 25. He came in as a good blocker and mediocre in the receiving game. This year he has progressed very nicely in that department and has been a major force for them this year. He should be a high priority FA target. He has 537 yards and 4tds so far in this season which is more than all of our TEs combined. 

So we’re all talking about getting an Edge player in the top 10 but it’ll be interesting to see how much JD values a relatively low amount of snaps. 

Lawson is coming back and JFM is signed big. Those guys will likely play around 60% of snaps. Huff is a good DPR and he’ll play another 30% of snaps. A rookie coming in would have to eat into the snaps of 3 good-at-worst NFL starters. A high potential 2nd round rookie might be a better allocation of resources. 

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m looking at Mo Allie-Cox as a good TE signing that would be tame but helpful. 

Thats a nice target, I still love what ive been seeing for Gesicki this year, but I do see him costing quite a bit.  

There are some interesting names as guys for Depth at TE,  Hollister is a nice piece (actually all the seattle TE's are good players). Very Similar style guys to waht we already have in Kroft and Griffin though.  Possibly a little better moving around though. 

Donald Parham is an RFA but I love the size. gotta see what they tender him at, but may be worth a look

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So we’re all talking about getting an Edge player in the top 10 but it’ll be interesting to see how much JD values a relatively low amount of snaps. 

Lawson is coming back and JFM is signed big. Those guys will likely play around 60% of snaps. Huff is a good DPR and he’ll play another 30% of snaps. A rookie coming in would have to eat into the snaps of 3 good-at-worst NFL starters. A high potential 2nd round rookie might be a better allocation of resources. 

this is a great point when talking about the depth the D line has.  I think it depends on the evaluation though.  JD would love to creat a pipeline I believe, and while they really like Huff, I could see a rookie playing a good deal in the long run with the ability to move JFM inside on 3rd downs. 

It depends who falls to our pick. 

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Thats a nice target, I still love what ive been seeing for Gesicki this year, but I do see him costing quite a bit.  

There are some interesting names as guys for Depth at TE,  Hollister is a nice piece (actually all the seattle TE's are good players). Very Similar style guys to waht we already have in Kroft and Griffin though.  Possibly a little better moving around though. 

Donald Parham is an RFA but I love the size. gotta see what they tender him at, but may be worth a look

My wished for player is Dalton Schultz. I think he and Gesicki get locked up before we get a shot at them.

• Like 1

This edge class is incredibly deep and talented. I think we get out of the first 3 rounds with two of them. Reason I say that is the injury to Lawson, the talent of the class, and the fact our GM is a trench guy. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

This is a big question for me too. Hutchinson would be great but with Lawson coming back, JFM, Huff, is that the smartest pick with a super high pick?

The edge class seems rather deep in this draft, so I'm feeling like our existing depth may make us look later at that position.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I continue to waffle on this.

Ultimately if they land with two top ten picks, as boring as it is, I think it’s just about taking the best guys. We don’t want Stingley, with Fant playing well and Becton the tackle situation is similar to edge (Fant does expire next year - Becton and Lawson both with injury concerns), and safety and off ball linebacker are big needs for now but non-premium positions and might get addressed in FA too.

Nothing is clean besides a trade down that makes any number of spots more palatable and adds picks in the area of the draft that a lot of players would fit. I’m pretty sure as the team is currently constructed and with the way the class is shaking out they could find day one starters at LB (possibly two), S (possibly two), RG, TE, and WR3, a backup swing tackle to take over for Fant, and backups for both Lawson and JFM who would be valuable rotation pieces in the second round. But they’re not going to have eight to ten second round picks so some of those I guess need to be addressed in the first round.

I do think with the depth of this edge class they should firmly consider taking one day two regardless of what they do in the first round.

Also, as much as I love building the offensive line, another quality WR probably upgrades this offense more than anyone but Linderbaum - and Linderbaum I think improves the offense more by the virtue of being really really good than by filling a big need. And following that might be someone like Zion Johnson if they can grab him day two.

• Upvote 1

The Jets dressed 9 defensive linemen yesterday.   It’s clear Saleh wants to keep guys fresh and have a big rotation.   I think for the first time JD is going to allocate premium draft capital to DL.  His bargain shopping in the draft for edge hasn’t proved effective.  I think it’s almost a certainty we see an edge in round 1.  

• Upvote 3

I would like to see us double dip at both edge and TE. 

And as usual i will have no problem using a high pick on the oline. 

Rankins to me has been a large disappointment, i would not mind another dline in FA if rankins gets the punt.

I also totally agree with the thought of upgrading S in FA.  As much as any other pstion decent to better guys come free at S.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets dressed 9 defensive linemen yesterday.   It’s clear Saleh wants to keep guys fresh and have a big rotation.   I think for the first time JD is going to allocate premium draft capital to DL.  His bargain shopping in the draft for edge hasn’t proved effective.  I think it’s almost a certainty we see an edge in round 1.  

Next year’s DL currently has the following players (bolded players are locks to make the team) :

Edge: Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff, Jabari Zuniga, Hamilcar Rashed

IDL: Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Jonathan Marshall

Hybrid: JFM, Kyle Phillips

My biggest takeaway from this is that after all the investment that Macc put into the IDL we’re not far from having a lack of talent at the position. That’s so depressing.

More on the topic of Edge players, even this stripped down version of the team leaves few snaps for a rookie, barring injury. Would the team not be better off using a second rounder to add Jermaine Johnson to the DE room rather than using a top 10 pick on a player that gets in on 40% of snaps?

I’m not saying we won’t draft an Edge player but i don’t know if it’s so cut and dry. 

The Jets are "lucky" in the sense that their major needs (Safety, RG, LB, and TE) are less than premium positions. CB should probably be included in that group - but I think everyone feels good about Bryce Hall and MC, and the team seems to be high on Echols. Teams are more willing to let these guys leave in FA than a player that plays QB (obviously), WR, CB, Edge, or Tackle. My hope is that for each of those positions they get at least one "quality" starter in FA (a guy like Connor McGovern) - with maybe one or two of those being "premium" free agents (a guy like Carl Lawson or Corey Davis). 

If they are able to get average level talent at those four spots - it'll allow them the freedom to go BPA during the draft. My hope is that premium positions (CB/EDGE/Tackle potentially) are addressed with the first four picks. These also happen to be strengths of this draft and areas where at least for 2022 you aren't forced to start a rookie. Tackles can be Fant as a stop gap and Becton, CBs can be current crop but definitely the weakest, Edges will be JFM/Huff/Lawson. This also allows them to use the fourth pick to strengthen a strength (maybe add a top WR talent to be a 1B to Moore), or draft someone to start over or replace one of the free agents listed above (draft a Jeremy Ruckert to be a TE2 behind a stop gap like Kroft). 

I'd really like to not have to go into the draft like last year where we had major holes at CB, RG, and TE. My hope is we plug enough holes so we feel DECENT about everyone on the current roster having to start - and are able to draft the best players at premium positions. 

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Next year’s DL currently has the following players (bolded players are locks to make the team) :

Edge: Carl Lawson, Bryce Huff, Jabari Zuniga, Hamilcar Rashed

IDL: Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Jonathan Marshall

Hybrid: JFM, Kyle Phillips

My biggest takeaway from this is that after all the investment that Macc put into the IDL we’re not far from having a lack of talent at the position. That’s so depressing.

More on the topic of Edge players, even this stripped down version of the team leaves few snaps for a rookie, barring injury. Would the team not be better off using a second rounder to add Jermaine Johnson to the DE room rather than using a top 10 pick on a player that gets in on 40% of snaps?

I’m not saying we won’t draft an Edge player but i don’t know if it’s so cut and dry. 

You’re not wrong.  I think JD looks at this beyond 2022 though and knows he needs to be deep at edge for Saleh to run this defense.  Sure, the rookie may only 40% of snaps in year one, but if it’s a kid like Hutchinson, he’ll be expected to play a lot more in year 2.  He can’t go to free agency to sign another edge, it’s too costly for what you get, plus he’s paying Lawson and JFM.   I think he would love to have a legit starter on a rookie contract.   

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You’re not wrong.  I think JD looks at this beyond 2022 though and knows he needs to be deep at edge for Saleh to run this defense.  Sure, the rookie may only 40% of snaps in year one, but if it’s a kid like Hutchinson, he’ll be expected to play a lot more in year 2.  He can’t go to free agency to sign another edge, it’s too costly for what you get, plus he’s paying Lawson and JFM.   I think he would love to have a legit starter on a rookie contract.   

So much depends where they’re picking too. Currently at picks 4 and 5 - if they’re looking at taking the third edge there it’s maybe no man’s land unless Ojabo screams up draft boards or they want to take someone like Travon Walker and he moves up some. 

This class is deep too so I think they should take someone in the second round regardless of what happens in the first since I think guys who go in the second round this year might be first round picks other years. Douglas has made a few mistakes and I think one is not really leaning into the strength of drafts.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, derp said:

So much depends where they’re picking too. Currently at picks 4 and 5 - if they’re looking at taking the third edge there it’s maybe no man’s land unless Ojabo screams up draft boards or they want to take someone like Travon Walker and he moves up some. 

This class is deep too so I think they should take someone in the second round regardless of what happens in the first since I think guys who go in the second round this year might be first round picks other years. Douglas has made a few mistakes and I think one is not really leaning into the strength of drafts.

Not taking 2 OL last year 

Not taking 2 WR the year before 

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not taking 2 OL last year 

Not taking 2 WR the year before 

Exactly, I know edge is not a massive need but this class looks loaded and it’s a premium position. Hope we don’t add not taking two edges this year.

What they ask guys to do is different enough that it’s basically two different positions too but I think there are multiple guys who fit each side.

10 hours ago, CSNY said:

Don’t know if the tight end from Georgia ( think his name is Browser) but that kid looks to be a star in the making. Would fit nicely on this Jets team 

Brock Bowers.  He is a true freshman -- still have two more years before he is draft eligible.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Brock Bowers.  He is a true freshman -- still have two more years before he is draft eligible.

WOW He’s only a freshman. That kid is dam good already and he’s only going to get better barring injury of course 

Douglas needs to get some proven veteran receivers and tight ends on this team. Seems like the draft lacks a top dog #1 stud at WR. Fill it in free agency. Ditto tight end, if possible Dont sell me on Corey Davis and Elijah Moore. This is 2021. Jets WR core is currently average at best, if you look around the league. And their TE group is a bunch of backups (at best). 

In the draft, get an edge rusher and something on offense with those 1st rd picks. 

I am starting to get bummed about the prospect of having two top ten picks in this draft. 

I think the blue chip talent in this draft consists of: Hutchinson, Thibs, Hamilton, and Linderbaum... and I don't really hold Hutch and Thibs in the same class as players like Chase Young, Nick Bosa, Myles Garret, or Von Miller. Hamilton and Linderbaum are Quinten Nelson type prospects - as good as you'll see for their position, but not a premium position. 

Guys like Stingley and Neal may be in that category as well. I'm unsure whether Neal would have gone before any of the tackles in Bectons class. Stingley I'm just afraid of given whats happened with him the past two years. 

I think my ideal scenario if we end up with picks 4 and 8 would be to move out of one of those picks and get some surefire talent. Either trade it straight up for an A caliber player, or a swap of first rounders for a player that is either franchised or has one year left on their deal and the team can't re-sign them. 

For example - if New Orleans ends up with pick 13 (current slot) and we swapped #4 (1800 points) for Lattimore on a franchise tag + #13 (1150 points). That values Lattimore at 650 points which is inbtwn picks 28/29. Now Lattimore may not be worth that much but the principle remains. I know a lot of people like Jesse Bates, so if did the same thing with Cinci that would value Bates at a mid first round pick. 

In either deal we would still pick at eight, which should give us a shot at someone like Hamilton, Linderbaum, or Garret Wilson. We pick up a surefire talent and still have a mid to late first round pick we could use on someone like Ojabo, Elam, Kenyon Green, Sauce Gardner, etc. 

Obviously trades are impossible to predict - but I just don't see the value in the top ten this year. 

• Upvote 2
21 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Sarah(Daw)G on Twitter: "For non- Georgia fans: The man on the right is a  normal sized human man. The man in the middle is large sized human man who  is 6'3, 315

On 11/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, sec101row23 said:

I agree, i would be surprised unless a great trade down deal is presented if this isnt a meat and potatoes first round of edge and OL

On 11/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, kdels62 said:

So… the CB question.

Brugler has us drafting Stingley which seems lazy. The roster does have room for another CB but given the scheme and the way JD has dealt with the position in the past I don’t see it. 

its not happening.. My jaw would unhinge and roll across the floor if it did.  I just do not see us spending that type of capital on a corner let alone one that has had limited production the last two years and coming off an injury. 

• Upvote 3
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.