Colin Cowherd: Jets should fire Robert Saleh

55 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Colin Cowherd is the most ill-informed and self-imporant of all the sports talking heads...which is really quite the achievement, considering the competition.

I don't like him either but if we're posting his videos and discussing what he said then he's doing his job.  We'd be better off to ignore the guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ElderStatesman said:

I think Saleh is a square peg in a round hole. Just doesn’t seem like a good fit here. 

I really thought McCarthy was the right guy a few years ago. Someone who has had success elsewhere. This is a tough job for a first time coach. 

McCarthy is a stubborn, stale fossil.  Inflexible with no creativity.

I absolutely hate that guy.  The whole world, (fans, beat writers, and his own players) could see Aaron Jones was the best RB on the team… and yet that loser kept trotting out Jamaal Williams ahead of Jones on the depth chart for two years.

Think about that.  Took him TWO YEARS to figure out AJ was better than JW when people kept asking him why he doesn’t play AJ more.  

MM is an imbecile…

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, JTJet said:

All valid but none of which addresses what he said. 

Defensive coach getting blown TF out on a regular basis. 

Young or not, first year or not, still a heralded defensive coach. The defense has far and away been the weakest of the three phases of our team. That shouldnt happen in our situation. 

but it does matter. being young, first year in a new system. Salehs 1st year in SF wasn't good either.

but we all knew this was going to be the worst part of this team. all 3 top FA miss all or half of the year. didn't draft defense to the 5th rd. 

can't ask Rachael Ray to cook spaghetti with sauce and give her chinese noodles and ketchup and expect her to make it taste good just because she is a chef.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

Nothing says “winning franchise” like a new coaching staff every year.

Jets are not firing a guy barely half a season in. And nothing would be more clown college than doing so. When the season is done, there does have to be a discussion about how things need to be addressed and changed. But the Jets are not firing Saleh after one season. Because it would give sensible football more reason not to want to work here.

Cowherd has a lot of airtime to fill in a competive and very stupid industry. And as the internet has made people like him less important,  it's an industry where banging your spoon on your high chair counts as high-minded analysis. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, ElderStatesman said:

I think Saleh is a square peg in a round hole. Just doesn’t seem like a good fit here. 

I really thought McCarthy was the right guy a few years ago. Someone who has had success elsewhere. This is a tough job for a first time coach. 

The reason that McCarthy has been successful so far this season is because the Cowboys didn’t fire him after a crappy first season with much more talent than he would have had with the Jets.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If you actually ever took some outside the box head in the sand observations of football you realize he made the cardinals comparison when they dumped wilks for kingsburyy after a year 

Me? 

LOL coming from you an youre constant one not posts, thats funny.

Now explain to me, please, wtf I have to do with his "he made the cardinals comparison when they dumped wilks for kingsburyy after a year " comments?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

All valid but none of which addresses what he said. 

Defensive coach getting blown TF out on a regular basis. 

Young or not, first year or not, still a heralded defensive coach. The defense has far and away been the weakest of the three phases of our team. That shouldnt happen in our situation. 

So because he was a DC he has to have a top D in his first HC gig?  

Because that unit doesnt need talent?  Inexperienced 1st and 2nd year players in the secondary for example, just need to be coached up.

But not by Flores for some reason, given the fins gave up 35, 31, 27, 45 & 30 in 5 of 6 games?  After all Flores roster additions?  

Young or not is about as wrong an answer as you can come up with.  Of course it makes a difference.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

Let’s see what he can do with Wilson playing. 

not necessarily win, but does Wilson grow and improve 

Wilson has been out for 4 weeks.  Let's see how he plays over the next 6 games and next season. Sunday is not a litmus test by any means. It means about as much as the opening game vs Carolina did.  That game supposedly showed how the Jets made a mistake with Darnold. Well Darnold's career as a starting NFL QB is over .  That's how much that game meant. Wilson has 2-3 years to develop.  Those on this board that make every week appear as if it is career determining for a new coaching staff and young players are just so absurdly off base, I don't know where to begin.  These are ridiculous posts.  Wilson, Saleh, and Douglas will all be back for 2022 regardless of what happens on the field the next 6 games.  This is year 1 of a multi-year rebuild.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

- I was extremely excited for the Saleh hire

- Didn’t expect many wins (5 was reasonable pre-season pick)

- Expected a well disciplined and competitive team, so been very disappointing there

- We are basically fielding an expansion team roster so too soon to talk about firing.

- Let’s see the the rest of this season goes + what we do in the offseason + how next year goes.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

McCarthy, a guy who was handed a built team with a franchise QB whom he alienated.... Yeah, solid choice. I'm sure he'd work miracles here.

i guess the only thing one can say about mccarthy is that he probably would've brought more convention to the team and the existing players would've been better for his style of coaching.  but that was then and this is now.  from what i can tell it looks like douglas is setting up to get players that fit saleh's and lafleur's system.  hence the large number of one year free agent contracts.  these guys are stop gaps.  if they catch on they'll get a longer term deal.  if not, they'll be replaced by a drafted player or other free agent.

If you actually ever took some outside the box head in the sand observations of football you realize he made the cardinals comparison when they dumped wilks for kingsburyy after a year 
Which honestly was bullshyt. The coach wasn't the problem, the qb was. They got a better qb and now the new coach looks remarkable.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Post of the Week 1

I didn't expect much from the Jets this year.  What I would like to see week to week is improvement in their play.  I haven't seen much of that.  I am not ready to say the coach should go.
You haven't seen any week to week improvement with the offense from the start of the season?

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

but it does matter. being young, first year in a new system. Salehs 1st year in SF wasn't good either.

but we all knew this was going to be the worst part of this team. all 3 top FA miss all or half of the year. didn't draft defense to the 5th rd. 

can't ask Rachael Ray to cook spaghetti with sauce and give her chinese noodles and ketchup and expect her to make it taste good just because she is a chef.

That analogy doesnt square. 

Saleh was given actual football players. It's not like he was handed guys from Rugby and Soccer and patted on the back.

Saleh as a defensive minded coach, is tasked with using his skill and a little seasoning to spice up lower quality ingredients. 

Instead, he tripped and spilled the ingredients on the floor halfway through and stood there staring at it instead of getting a mop and cleaning it up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So because he was a DC he has to have a top D in his first HC gig?  

Because that unit doesnt need talent?  Inexperienced 1st and 2nd year players in the secondary for example, just need to be coached up.

But not by Flores for some reason, given the fins gave up 35, 31, 27, 45 & 30 in 5 of 6 games?  After all Flores roster additions?  

Young or not is about as wrong an answer as you can come up with.  Of course it makes a difference.  

I didn't say he needed to have a top D in his first gig. 

But asking for a competent D is well within reason, first year or not, rookies or not. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1