Jump to content

Strangely optimistic


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

In this putrid year, with all the blowouts, it would be easy to say, “enough, I’m done.”  Don’t get me wrong, as of this moment, we suck.  But I feel a different vibe this year than during all of the sucky years of the last decade, and the many going back forty years for me.  I am strangely optimistic about our talent.  During the Gase and Bowles years, there wasn’t a lot to be hopeful for.  All those blown picks.  Darnold, when he was drafted, led to some hope, but the supporting cast never evolved, and well… Darnold.

But even as we are losing and getting blown out, there are pieces here you can actually root for, and I’m not just talking about Zach, for whom the jury is still out. He definitely has the gun, but I wonder if he has the discipline to succeed consistently.  We’ll see.  No, I’m talking about this draft class… AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter, even some of the back-end guys like Echols, Pinnock, Marshall, Sherwood (hope he comes back strong from the injury), who are all still developing.  Bechton has been a downer, but it is way too soon to write him off.  And I think Ashtyn Davis will be serviceable.

But it’s getting easier to root for these guys.  To buy jerseys again for guys who might be here more than 3 years.  This team has not been worthy of buying jerseys, since the Chad/Abraham/Ellis/Coles/Chrebet//Cotchery period, 2009/10 aside (borrowed free agent talent).  

Yes, we need a restocking of talent, particularly on D. But, it feels like there is some hope, barring major injuries, that our arrow is pointed up.  At least grateful for that, since the arrow has been pointing down for over a decade.  

Nice post.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree there is ( some) talent. Not near enough though. I’m not one those looking for the coaches or the gm’s head- (yet). They do need to do much better especially Saleh, the defense is atrocious. I didn’t expect a lot of wins - and think I predicted 6?? I did expect them to be much more prepared and look better on the field. They haven’t!!! JD better not miss on these picks this year. Wilson better make progress in these next seven games. I won’t be ready to evaluate next year’s expectations if he doesn’t. Fingers crossed 40 years and counting.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

In this putrid year, with all the blowouts, it would be easy to say, “enough, I’m done.”  Don’t get me wrong, as of this moment, we suck.  But I feel a different vibe this year than during all of the sucky years of the last decade, and the many going back forty years for me.  I am strangely optimistic about our talent.  During the Gase and Bowles years, there wasn’t a lot to be hopeful for.  All those blown picks.  Darnold, when he was drafted, led to some hope, but the supporting cast never evolved, and well… Darnold.

But even as we are losing and getting blown out, there are pieces here you can actually root for, and I’m not just talking about Zach, for whom the jury is still out. He definitely has the gun, but I wonder if he has the discipline to succeed consistently.  We’ll see.  No, I’m talking about this draft class… AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter, even some of the back-end guys like Echols, Pinnock, Marshall, Sherwood (hope he comes back strong from the injury), who are all still developing.  Bechton has been a downer, but it is way too soon to write him off.  And I think Ashtyn Davis will be serviceable.

But it’s getting easier to root for these guys.  To buy jerseys again for guys who might be here more than 3 years.  This team has not been worthy of buying jerseys, since the Chad/Abraham/Ellis/Coles/Chrebet//Cotchery period, 2009/10 aside (borrowed free agent talent).  

Yes, we need a restocking of talent, particularly on D. But, it feels like there is some hope, barring major injuries, that our arrow is pointed up.  At least grateful for that, since the arrow has been pointing down for over a decade.  

I don't do drugs, but can you spare some of yours?  Moore and AVT rock.  Carters squared look good.  But the rest are blehhh.  I'm pulling for Zach, but I really wanted Fields.

I haven't seen improvement in our D.

This years draft was better than last years.

I hate that I bought into the rah rah BS of our new HC, but our old one was worse.

Just want to see a competitive game and watch our rookies battle.  Not Flaccos.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

In this putrid year, with all the blowouts, it would be easy to say, “enough, I’m done.”  Don’t get me wrong, as of this moment, we suck.  But I feel a different vibe this year than during all of the sucky years of the last decade, and the many going back forty years for me.  I am strangely optimistic about our talent.  During the Gase and Bowles years, there wasn’t a lot to be hopeful for.  All those blown picks.  Darnold, when he was drafted, led to some hope, but the supporting cast never evolved, and well… Darnold.

But even as we are losing and getting blown out, there are pieces here you can actually root for, and I’m not just talking about Zach, for whom the jury is still out. He definitely has the gun, but I wonder if he has the discipline to succeed consistently.  We’ll see.  No, I’m talking about this draft class… AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter, even some of the back-end guys like Echols, Pinnock, Marshall, Sherwood (hope he comes back strong from the injury), who are all still developing.  Bechton has been a downer, but it is way too soon to write him off.  And I think Ashtyn Davis will be serviceable.

But it’s getting easier to root for these guys.  To buy jerseys again for guys who might be here more than 3 years.  This team has not been worthy of buying jerseys, since the Chad/Abraham/Ellis/Coles/Chrebet//Cotchery period, 2009/10 aside (borrowed free agent talent).  

Yes, we need a restocking of talent, particularly on D. But, it feels like there is some hope, barring major injuries, that our arrow is pointed up.  At least grateful for that, since the arrow has been pointing down for over a decade.  

Zach's mental power and desire to learn and grow has been well documented. It's not a guarantee that he'll succeed, but I think he has the discipline (especially mentally) that you're hoping for.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This team has more building block players than the past few years. AVT, Elijah, MC 1 & 2, Q, Bryce Hall and possibly Bechton. It's not much, but just a little better than past few years. We Just need Zach to step up and 1 more good draft and we are right in the AFCE. I'm not buying Mac Jones & the Bills vulnerabilities have been exposed the past few weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

In this putrid year, with all the blowouts, it would be easy to say, “enough, I’m done.”  Don’t get me wrong, as of this moment, we suck.  But I feel a different vibe this year than during all of the sucky years of the last decade, and the many going back forty years for me.  I am strangely optimistic about our talent.  During the Gase and Bowles years, there wasn’t a lot to be hopeful for.  All those blown picks.  Darnold, when he was drafted, led to some hope, but the supporting cast never evolved, and well… Darnold.

But even as we are losing and getting blown out, there are pieces here you can actually root for, and I’m not just talking about Zach, for whom the jury is still out. He definitely has the gun, but I wonder if he has the discipline to succeed consistently.  We’ll see.  No, I’m talking about this draft class… AVT, Moore, Carter, Carter, even some of the back-end guys like Echols, Pinnock, Marshall, Sherwood (hope he comes back strong from the injury), who are all still developing.  Bechton has been a downer, but it is way too soon to write him off.  And I think Ashtyn Davis will be serviceable.

But it’s getting easier to root for these guys.  To buy jerseys again for guys who might be here more than 3 years.  This team has not been worthy of buying jerseys, since the Chad/Abraham/Ellis/Coles/Chrebet//Cotchery period, 2009/10 aside (borrowed free agent talent).  

Yes, we need a restocking of talent, particularly on D. But, it feels like there is some hope, barring major injuries, that our arrow is pointed up.  At least grateful for that, since the arrow has been pointing down for over a decade.  

Excellent post!  Definitely a different vibe this year.  The W-L record was never the correct barometer for this year.  Acquiring/developing talent for the long run is precisely what we have not done in the past and exactly what we need to rebuild this franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm optimistic about the offensive progress.

I am disgusted by the defensive scheme and performance.

I'm even more disgusted at the narrative now that we have to rebuild the defense, thus taking us away from the continued rebuild of the offense.

The Jets desperately needed a pass rusher to convert to the 4-3 Saleh wants to run, and it looked like JD found a gem in Carl Lawson - but we know how that turned out. Then the youngest secondary in the league loses the team’s franchise tagged safety. A big project got a lot bigger. 
 
The fans, for the most part, got the draft that they wanted with QB, G, WR, and RB with the first four picks. Next year, I doubt there’ll be much grumbling about drafting an Edge or LB high, and I expect they will. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets desperately needed a pass rusher to convert to the 4-3 Saleh wants to run, and it looked like JD found a gem in Carl Lawson - but we know how that turned out. Then the youngest secondary in the league loses the team’s franchise tagged safety. A big project got a lot bigger. 
 
The fans, for the most part, got the draft that they wanted with QB, G, WR, and RB with the first four picks. Next year, I doubt there’ll be much grumbling about drafting an Edge or LB high, and I expect they will. 

I have no issue with and edge rusher as our first pick.  I'll have an enormous problem if we by pass on premium oline and a high end te for safeties and ilbs.  We used a ton of picks on cbs last year and had some on the team already.

Always lots of functional or better safeties and ilbs in fa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could agree, but I'm just not seeing it.

The team is still as non-competitive as it's been the past few years.  The double digit, embarrassing losses are still piling up at the same rate.

Different players, different coaches, same crap product.

Yes, they are young, and many of the most promising players are rookies.  I suppose that gives some smidgen of hope for the future, but it's honestly not much to hang your hat on if you are being objective.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s because we’re coming off a week where we played a bad team so we looked better than we are, which was still bad even in a loss.

There’ll be talk of Superbowl 2023 after we beat the Texans no doubt.

2023? Try 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

I think we get this vibe every time we stink to the core and pretend like “this is part of the plan”.  

yeah but our drafts has been horrible for a long time. we haven't had 4 guys play this well into their 1st season since 2000 when we drafted Abraham, Ellis, Chad, and Coles.

so yeah, maybe this vibe feels different. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doitny said:

yeah but our drafts has been horrible for a long time. we haven't had 4 guys play this well into their 1st season since 2000 when we drafted Abraham, Ellis, Chad, and Coles.

so yeah, maybe this vibe feels different. 

So true.  But 3 of those were taken in round 1

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rough but I am definitely excited because this is the first time in a while we have so many young players PLAYING, but also playing well. Seems like every other week, we have a rookie winning rookie of the week or player of the week. That's nice. I'd rather go through this season hopeful even if it is difficult, because it's more fun and either way, the result will be the result. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

The OP sounds like a Battered Jets Fan.

“I think they want to change, and yes, I still love them. They told me things will be better this time…”

As opposed to being negative as hell and apparently miserable yet still sticking around? 

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know if optimistic is the word but the returns on the first JD/Saleh led draft is fantastic.  Folks quickly forget but many of us couldnt care less how bad the defense was as long as we entered the 21st century in terms of having an offense.  Well, the offense is good and can be great with the right QB play and if Zach Wilson proves he's that guy for the rest of the season, I'll have to start knitting a new pair of boner pants. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...