College players you were told wouldn’t make it but did

Peace Frog

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I was told again and again that Hunter Renfrow was too small too slow would never make it. 

The little small slow dude is a football player. 

Every time you need a first down, he’s Mr Dependable. 

They are rare but there's clearly a place for the Wes Welker/Wayne Chrebet/Julian Edelman/Hunter Renfrow types in this league.  Small, quick, shifty guys with good hands who seem like they should only be slot WRs but also tend to play well on the outside quite a bit of the time.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They are rare but there's clearly a place for the Wes Welker/Wayne Chrebet/Julian Edelman/Hunter Renfrow types in this league.  Small, quick, shifty guys with good hands who seem like they should only be slot WRs but also tend to play well on the outside quite a bit of the time.

Did you see him on that fake punt where he read it, popped the guy breaking up the fake? 

So smart too. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I was told again and again that Hunter Renfrow was too small too slow would never make it. 

The little small slow dude is a football player. 

Every time you need a first down, he’s Mr Dependable. 

Who told you that? 
When were you having these heated discussions about Hunter Renfrow?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So clearly the JETS thought that Russel Wilson, Mahommes, Watson all were not worth it.  

Tom O'brien, told Russell Wilson that he would not start his senior year at NC State because his backup Mike Glennon would be a pro QB and Wilson would not. Wilson transferred to Wisconsin (and the rest is history) then became QB at Seattle, and Glennon is a career backup. Needless to say, I can't stand O'brien because of that. .

12 hours ago, JTJet said:

I mean.... Tom Brady. 

Damn you for making me post that. 

i tend to disagree with that one.  he wasn't a high pick but that was a bad year for qb's (chaddy was the first one taken).  he came from a big time program and did well but michigan was trying to showcase drew henson.  and in the final analysis it's not necessarily having a big time arm but having the attitude and smarts to win.  imo chaddy had those attributes but he was also fragile and didn't have the big arm to go with them.

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You’re brilliant.

I can’t wait for the new sig letting everyone know your brilliance.

Just look for my posts that are most downvoted. Those usually end up being the most correct. Jets fans are the best contrary indicators in sport.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, section314 said:

A favorite of mine that some of you fellow old timers will remember......Jeff Lageman

I remember that pick. The Lageman pick prompted Mel Kiper to say "The Jets don't know what the draft is all about."

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BugZy said:

Tom O'brien, told Russell Wilson that he would not start his senior year at NC State because his backup Mike Glennon would be a pro QB and Wilson would not. Wilson transferred to Wisconsin (and the rest is history) then became QB at Seattle, and Glennon is a career backup. Needless to say, I can't stand O'brien because of that. .

Im a PACK fan and know this history all too well.  Could you imagine RW with a REX team. REX would have his SB.  

Let’s be honest here.  If you’ve been on the internet more than 5 seconds talking about NFL draft prospects 3 things have surely happened.  

1) Someone called you stupid for thinking a certain player was good/bad.

2) They were right

3) They were wrong

NFL draft prognostication is the weirdest part of sports internet.  Lots of pride involved.  And this is from someone who has participated for nearly 20 years.

• Upvote 1

Nobody liked Herbert 2 years ago he was basically ignored during the draft process and everyone was talking about Tua or Borrow.  Was told Kadarius Toney was a sure fire bust not even worth a 3rd round pick.  Had a ton of arguments about Josh Allen with people who preferred Rosen or Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

QB are always the toughest as they have such high expectations and the fact you have to use lots of resourc4s to go and get one so if they succeed or fail you look foolish or a genius or a bit o both.

I've had some hits and huge misses talking about QBs before they were drafted.

I knew before Hackenburg was drafted that he stunk and was awful and was not worth a thing.  I was enraged when we drafted him.

I thought Lamar Jackson was better than people thought.

I've been mostly  right about Baker Mayfield, I thought he was Mark Sanchez with a dicker attitude.

I thought Watson was going to be really good when people were questioning his arm strength, I still remember a big thread on here about the 'velocity' of Watsons passes.

I thought Mac Jones was going to be good if he went to the proper location (as he has with the pats)

I was totally  wrong about Darnold, every time I watched his usc games he looked like a pro style QB that made more great plays than gaffs.

I was totally wrong with Mahommes, I think my  exact thoughts when watching him were 'He won;t get away with that sh*t in the pros'

Wrong about both Allen and Herbert both I thought were big runners with good arms that just were not at all accurate enough for the NFL and would throw gobs of picks.

So far I have been right about Lawrence, the most overrated QB prospect of the last 20 years.