NFL has a real problem

JetsFanatic

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Can’t always blame ref. All the holding calls in the first two games were legitimate. 

certainly not one of them against the raiders and the problem is they call holds and pis and the very next play there is a hold or pi worse and no call.

NFL is now NHL call penalties to off set each other , make calls at certain parts of the game to keep it close  (see the call they just made vs the bills when they were going up 17-0)

• Upvote 1

Even at Pop Warner level reffing is tough.  I can't imagine what it must be like at the high speed, uber violent, NFL level.

lot of times you just have to  make a call right now you didn't really see clearly.  Ya do.  Might a ref favor and protect a  star player in close calls.  You bet.  They're  money makers.

The red 2 flag flag system seems OK, but probably needs  some tweeking.  Fans of losing teams  have always been at odds with the results of close calls that cost them football games.   Always will no matter what system is emplaced.

It's a part of the game.  In a few years when Wilson is hoisting a Cup he becomes one of the elit, and will get the "money maker" ref preference.   

CAN'T WAIT  :)  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No idea why people think Refs were good 20/30/40 years ago. Meanwhile,  while everyone cries about bad calls the nfl keeps generating billions of dollars a year. 

yep.  the refs were the same.  if there is any difference it's because the media decided to showcase them more and give them more relevance.  why do we need instant replay?  or any of the other bs that goes along with it.  just play ball and make sure the qb doesn't get his head taken off.

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

And I believe that the NFL, for all the money it makes, is still the only major team sport that does not have full time referees. So people wonder why the level of officiating is so uneven with guys who are hobbyists making the calls.

I undertand the point you are making, and it's a valid one, but I have to disagree to a point.

The Refs in the NFL are, for the most part, very successful men who have made an excellent living in other fields. Even though they are well paid. They're not doing it for the money, they're doing it for love and passion of the game.  They already have some wealth.

I agree with @SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN the biggest long term threat to NFL right now is gambling.

A guy whos doing this as his full livelyhood is much more likely to get in some financial difficulties , and make a deal with the devil.  We may get some blown calls right now, and maybe even a touch of favoritism, but I honestly don't think any one is throwing a game for money, and destorying the integrity of the game.

Nothing is going to be perfect when there is humam discerment involved.  As a fan I'd much rather deal with a blown call here and there then be wondering if a close call was made on the basis of a $10,000 bonus.

JMO

• Upvote 1

I just wish they would call more penalties.  Watching an older gentleman tell us of various infractions, or other field issues,  excites me to no end.  And when a complex issue causes several officials to gather in a cozy circle for ample confabbing?  It's just dream city for me (and I sure for other football enthusiasts!).

Last night's officiating team was a complete travesty.  Cowboys with 166 yards in penalties, Raiders for another 110.  That's beyond ridiculous.    Please let the players play.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

unless its absolutely blatant, pass interference shouldnt be called. the reward to the other team is just too high to be calling these ticky tacky PIs. i didnt think it was PI

They could easily correct many of those "game changing" calls by reviewing them.  Problem for officials and the NFL is that with high resolution stadium screens and TVs, now their errors are right there for everyone to see.

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

They could easily correct many of those "game changing" calls by reviewing them.  Problem for officials and the NFL is that with high resolution stadium screens and TVs, now their errors are right there for everyone to see.

The games have no flow as it is with all the commercials injury stoppages etc etc. Game doesn’t need anymore reviews. Up to me I get rid of all replays booth reviews coaches challenge all of them.Simplify rules as to what is a catch or touchdown  and Hire full time refs and  let refs call the game for better or worse. Don’t need 4 hour games or NFL runs risk of becoming baseball where a 2-1 game takes over three hours basically unwatchable 

11 minutes ago, CSNY said:

The games have no flow as it is with all the commercials injury stoppages etc etc. Game doesn’t need anymore reviews. Up to me I get rid of all replays booth reviews coaches challenge all of them.Simplify rules as to what is a catch or touchdown  and Hire full time refs and  let refs call the game for better or worse. Don’t need 4 hour games or NFL runs risk of becoming baseball where a 2-1 game takes over three hours basically unwatchable 

I agree that the games have too much stoppage.  But I don't think the NFL can just let this current "system" continue.  As is the case in the CFL, certain penalties are reviewable and challenged by the HCs.  This might be the way to go as a first step.

It happened a few years ago in the NFCCG where the Saints got boned.   Eventually, a mistake by the officials will cost some team the Super Bowl.  It's inevitable.  After that--and the switch in gambling money lost--the NFL will finally give this issue serious focus.

Just now, munchmemory said:

I agree that the games have too much stoppage.  But I don't think the NFL just let this current "system" continue.  As is the case in the CFL, certain penalties are reviewable by the HCs.  This might be the way to go as a first step.

It happened a few years ago in the NFCCG where the Saints got boned.   Eventually, a mistake by the officials will cost some team the Super Bowl.  It's inevitable.  After that--and the switch in gambling money lost--the NFL will finally give this issue serious focus.

I get what your saying but every team in the history of the NFL has gotten the nasty end of the stick at some point in time as there always has been a human element in the game. Hell on every play  spotting the ball is not an exact thing The rules are far too complicated and should be simplified like it was 20-30 years ago as watching a game was much more enjoyable than today’s version. And get rid of some of the commercials too especially after a score then commercials then kickoff then another dam commercial. So fuching annoying 

• Upvote 1