NFL has a real problem

JetsFanatic

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I get what your saying but every team in the history of the NFL has gotten the nasty end of the stick at some point in time as there always has been a human element in the game. Hell on every play  spotting the ball is not an exact thing The rules are far too complicated and should be simplified like it was 20-30 years ago as watching a game was much more enjoyable than today’s version. And get rid of some of the commercials too especially after a score then commercials then kickoff then another dam commercial. So fuching annoying 

Again, I agree that every team has gotten screwed at some point.  But unlike years ago when we were watching in b/w or color with awful resolution, now the errors are as clear as day.  Personally, I think those egregious errors should be fixed.   The NFL just needs to sharpen the system.

Totally agree that they should take out some commercials.  That would free up more than enough time to implement a coherent replay system.   Never happen, though.  Too much money being made.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Can we change thread title:

NFL has NO problems

JOJO from a financial standpoint you are 100% correct and is indisputable. From an on the field product game does have a problem in my opinion 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I think some of the PI problems can be fixed with the expedited replay reviews.

Have the refs huddle after every PI while talking to the replay official.  If the call was bullsh*t, pick up the flag.

Baseball could fix the Angle Hernandez problem overnight without firing him too. Tennis did something. 

Someone in a booth watching the broadcast and able to tell the field refs would fix the most egregious calls.  

I don’t understand why leagues do what they do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Have the refs huddle after every PI while talking to the replay official.  If the call was bullsh*t, pick up the flag.

Having the refs huddle after every PI is a bad idea. It starts at huddling up for PI calls what’s to prevent them from huddling up after holding calls clipping calls or any call for that matter. Implementation of this would make the diminishing quality of the game even worse. It would be virtually unwatchable 

On 11/25/2021 at 9:47 PM, Beerfish said:

certainly not one of them against the raiders and the problem is they call holds and pis and the very next play there is a hold or pi worse and no call.

NFL is now NHL call penalties to off set each other , make calls at certain parts of the game to keep it close  (see the call they just made vs the bills when they were going up 17-0)

Thats what fans think but arent a part of reality.  

12 hours ago, dcJet said:

Isnt that what theyre doing with so many calls right now?  The play gets reviewed upstairs and is called down to the refs without even having to ask for a review?  Its speeding up the process

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CSNY said:

Having the refs huddle after every PI is a bad idea. It starts at huddling up for PI calls what’s to prevent them from huddling up after holding calls clipping calls or any call for that matter. Implementation of this would make the diminishing quality of the game even worse. It would be virtually unwatchable 

The refs have already been doing it.  Under the new expedited review, the refs talk to a "sky judge" who are watching the replay at the same time we do we do.  Officially, it's only allowed for certain types of plays (out of bounds, down by contact, catch/no catch, ball spot), BUT, the officials are hitting the buzzer for other stuff.

It's worked a few times I've seen it where the refs have picked up the flag or thrown a flag late.  It should be expanded to all difficult calls like PI and roughing and holding.

I've been watching the expedited replay work and it's not as slow as one would think.

The key is, the refs huddle while the replays are playing so it doesn't impact the game flow much, unlike the "coaches challenges" which take forever.  Look for it next game.  It's not that slow.

Typical play:
The play happens; the announcer says there's a flag; several replays play on TV with several angles; the announcers say "That's a bad call"; cut to field - refs are already in their huddle talking; several seconds later ref explains the call or no call.  Next play.

11 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I've been watching the expedited replay work and it's not as slow as one would think.

The key is, the refs huddle while the replays are playing so it doesn't impact the game flow much, unlike the "coaches challenges" which take forever.  Look for it next game.  It's not that slow.

Typical play:
The play happens; the announcer says there's a flag; several replays play on TV with several angles; the announcers say "That's a bad call"; cut to field - refs are already in their huddle talking; several seconds later ref explains the call or no call.  Next play.

Disagree that use of sky refs or anymore use of replays or reviews would be beneficial to the Product the field which now is horrible. Need to speed game up Add another layer of bureaucracy will just slow it down even more. Let’s remember that when replays where originally introduced there was supposed to be a time limit. Well we all see that the time limit is out the window 

The officiating in the NFL has been absolutely dreadful for years and years now.

The average game has at least three horrendous game changing calls that shouldn't have been made.

It would bother me more if the Jets were good enough to be impacted by these bad calls but more often than not they're getting run out of the building by the 12 minute mark in the second quarter.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, flgreen said:

I undertand the point you are making, and it's a valid one, but I have to disagree to a point.

The Refs in the NFL are, for the most part, very successful men who have made an excellent living in other fields. Even though they are well paid. They're not doing it for the money, they're doing it for love and passion of the game.  They already have some wealth.

I agree with @SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN the biggest long term threat to NFL right now is gambling.

A guy whos doing this as his full livelyhood is much more likely to get in some financial difficulties , and make a deal with the devil.  We may get some blown calls right now, and maybe even a touch of favoritism, but I honestly don't think any one is throwing a game for money, and destorying the integrity of the game.

Nothing is going to be perfect when there is humam discerment involved.  As a fan I'd much rather deal with a blown call here and there then be wondering if a close call was made on the basis of a $10,000 bonus.

JMO

All good points as well. I suppose bad calls made from lack of practice and training are certainly preferable to bad calls made because someone has a financial stake in influencing the outcome.

• Upvote 1

certainly not one of them against the raiders and the problem is they call holds and pis and the very next play there is a hold or pi worse and no call.
NFL is now NHL call penalties to off set each other , make calls at certain parts of the game to keep it close  (see the call they just made vs the bills when they were going up 17-0)
Direct the game into overtime for ratings.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk