Carter Out; Corey Davis Missed Practice Thursday

JetNation

Jets Injury Report

As the Jets prepare to take on the Houston Texans this Sunday, they know they will be without starting running back Michael Carter.   He has rushed for 430 yards on 111 carries (3.9 yard average) with 4 TDs. Even more impressive is Carter’s role in the passing game, with 32 receptions for 308 yards (9.6 yard average).

With Carter sidelined for the next few weeks, this is a chance for Tevin Coleman, La’Mical Perine and Ty Johnson to stand out.  The most likely scenario is the Jets go with a running back by committee approach, which is what was expected of them this season. That is until the 4th round draft pick Carter showed early promise.

The Thanksgiving day injury report for the Jets also showed that wide receiver Corey Davis and defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi did not practice. Shaq Lawson, CJ Mosley and Nathan Shepherd were all limited.

When the team releases the final injury report on Friday we will have a better idea of who may miss the game on Sunday.

Jets Injury Report

The post Carter Out; Corey Davis Missed Practice Thursday appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm starting to think Corey Davis hasn't really been a categorical success of a FA pickup.

True but at least he's played in most games. Jarred Davis has been a bigger disappointment - but not as big of a contract obviously. Joe D goes after these second tier free agents maybe coming off their rookie contract that their original drafting team doesn't seem to want to give them big paydays. Its not been working out great so far.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

It is just Wilson's lack of experience. This is pretty typical of QBs new to the NFL - hopefully he starts spreading the ball around more.

I mean, he watched 3 different QBs all throw to a variety of different receivers and be more successful than him, so hopefully he gets the memo

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

True but at least he's played in most games. Jarred Davis has been a bigger disappointment - but not as big of a contract obviously. Joe D goes after these second tier free agents maybe coming off their rookie contract that their original drafting team doesn't seem to want to give them big paydays. Its not been working out great so far.

I guess. But then Jarrad Davis doesn't make $14MM/year, and then drop or cough up the ball on average once per game. Despite being healthy (other than getting covid, like millions of others also did), he wasn't even a starter last year for Detroit, who sported the league's #32 defense and were starting a different (but still terrible) bust over him by midseason. If reliability was expected of Jarrad Davis he'd have been making Corey Davis money - or at least would be playing under the 5th year option - instead a 1-year show-me deal for just half that. 

Both suck this year. 

• Upvote 1

Unleash Mims (again).  I’d like to get an extended look at the pup and see if he can mature through his issues.  Just to know what we have before next draft. 

Salah has said that his goal at wideout is similar to what the Rams have, the same set guys like cooper Kupp and Woods (before injury).  Not having a rotation of 5 wideouts. 

2 of the 3 main spots are set next year with Davis and Moore.  I want to see if Mims can be the 3rd or if we look to draft someone like Metchie in the 2nd round. 

Cole and Crowder have expiring contracts. It’s roster evaluation time for Mims.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm starting to think Corey Davis hasn't really been a categorical success of a FA pickup.

People kill JD for not spending enough money, then when he gets a guy like Corey Davis people complain but let's see how the other FA WRs have done this year:

1- Juju- Resigned with Pitt- out for year

2- Kenny Golloday- Injured all year and making Davis look great

3- Will Fuller- Missed virtually entire year so far (26 total receiving yards)

4- Curtis Samuel- Don't think he has played a snap all year

5- Marvin Jones- Virtually same stats as Davis

6- Not a free agent but some here wanted us to get Julio. Davis has more yards and TDs..and Julio has missed a ton of time with injury

So unless your gameplan before the season was "ignore all Free Agent WRs" I think JD actually did pretty good given what he was working with. 

Also everyone (including myself) was hoping Allen Robinson would have shaken free last year..... yet Davis has done better. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Unleash Mims (again).  I’d like to get an extended look at the pup and see if he can mature through his issues.  Just to know what we have before next draft. 

Salah has said that his goal at wideout is similar to what the Rams have, the same set guys like cooper Kupp and Woods (before injury).  Not having a rotation of 5 wideouts. 

2 of the 3 main spots are set next year with Davis and Moore.  I want to see if Mims can be the 3rd or if we look to draft someone like Metchie in the 2nd round. 

Cole and Crowder have expiring contracts. It’s roster evaluation time for Mims.

Really? Don’t you think the coaches know what they have in Mims, both mentally and physically. (Btw, did you know Mims is 6’3 and ran a 4.38 at the combine-Just giving you those stats in case no one has ever mentioned it on this board)

Why not let Zach build chemistry with players that are part of future plans.

Johnson is our best receiving back, he averages 10.8 per reception

to Carter's 9.6 he also bests MC 2 tds - 0

This idea that finishing runs is a RB's best trait is utter BS. all

that backs do who fight for every last inch, is end their careers early.

The most important ability a back can have is reading defenders,

setting up his blockers and having the agility to cut off of them.

Carter has this skill, encouraging him to be a tough guy will lead

to a short career. For pure ability to snag the pig Michael Perrine

has the best Mitts on our team, I refer you to his college career.

Some receivers catch the ball well, even with baby fingers, probably

because of grip strength. Perrine has 10.25" and uses them to full advantage

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's funny, I was trying to find some validation that it looks like he's going to play this week and stumbled across this tweet.

Davis certainly hasn't been great but man the whole FA class looks ugly.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Really? Don’t you think the coaches know what they have in Mims, both mentally and physically. (Btw, did you know Mims is 6’3 and ran a 4.38 at the combine-Just giving you those stats in case no one has ever mentioned it on this board)

Why not let Zach build chemistry with players that are part of future plans.

What you said there is certainly in line with how the coaches have not utilized him. They know more than we do, and have been proven right by his poor play with his given opportunities. 

I don’t want to give up on him yet and want to see if that potential becomes something.  Outside of him we really only have Davis and Moore.  There’s no other wideout on the roster that we know will be on the team next year. So I want to see a decent amount of Mims to gauge what we have.

1 minute ago, derp said:

It's funny, I was trying to find some validation that it looks like he's going to play this week and stumbled across this tweet.

Davis certainly hasn't been great but man the whole FA class looks ugly.

That’s what shopping in free agency looks like though, especially for WRs.   There’s rarely a player available that’s a legit difference maker.   That’s why it’s wise to avoid the big money FAs, more often than not they don’t prove their value.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s what shopping in free agency looks like though, especially for WRs.   There’s rarely a player available that’s a legit difference maker.   That’s why it’s wise to avoid the big money FAs, more often than not they don’t prove their value.  

Totally agree, I almost said that in the post but I wasn’t in the mood for a potential debate about team building philosophy (not from Sperm but someone else) and figured I’d rather let folks form their own conclusions.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Johnson is our best receiving back, he averages 10.8 per reception

to Carter's 9.6 he also bests MC 2 tds - 0

This idea that finishing runs is a RB's best trait is utter BS. all

that backs do who fight for every last inch, is end their careers early.

The most important ability a back can have is reading defenders,

setting up his blockers and having the agility to cut off of them.

Carter has this skill, encouraging him to be a tough guy will lead

to a short career. For pure ability to snag the pig Michael Perrine

has the best Mitts on our team, I refer you to his college career.

Some receivers catch the ball well, even with baby fingers, probably

because of grip strength. Perrine has 10.25" and uses them to full advantage

I read this in Maya Angelou’s voice not sure why

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

People kill JD for not spending enough money, then when he gets a guy like Corey Davis people complain but let's see how the other FA WRs have done this year:

1- Juju- Resigned with Pitt- out for year

2- Kenny Golloday- Injured all year and making Davis look great

3- Will Fuller- Missed virtually entire year so far (26 total receiving yards)

4- Curtis Samuel- Don't think he has played a snap all year

5- Marvin Jones- Virtually same stats as Davis

6- Not a free agent but some here wanted us to get Julio. Davis has more yards and TDs..and Julio has missed a ton of time with injury

So unless your gameplan before the season was "ignore all Free Agent WRs" I think JD actually did pretty good given what he was working with. 

Also everyone (including myself) was hoping Allen Robinson would have shaken free last year..... yet Davis has done better. 

All I said was Corey Davis isn't a categorical success. Calm down. 

And yards don't tell nearly the whole story. Davis has about a half dozen drops (5 official ones but there were at least 1-2 more those first few games that they didn't count, but where a WR of his caliber is expected to catch). Plus on top of those drops he has 2 fumbles already. All that is in 8 games, while missing 2 more games to injury (so far) and it wasn't because he got blindsided by a dirty helmet to helmet in a game or anything. Bleh.

In comparison, "virtually [the] same stats" Marvin Jones has 2 dropped passes in 10 games, and has never fumbled once in his 9 NFL seasons -- the latter's an interesting tidbit. Also Marvin Jones is signed for about half of Corey Davis's contract, and at 31 isn't expected to be in his physical prime at a speed-skill position. Jones also catches most of his contested catches (10 of 17). Compare that to Davis who's hauled in just 4 of his last 11 such passes (I asked a friend with PFF access; no way I log that stuff myself lol). 

He's having a sh***y season. 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All I said was Corey Davis isn't a categorical success. Calm down. 

And yards don't tell nearly the whole story. Davis has about a half dozen drops (5 official ones but there were at least 1-2 more those first few games that they didn't count, but where a WR of his caliber is expected to catch). Plus on top of those drops he has 2 fumbles already. All that is in 8 games, while missing 2 more games to injury (so far) and it wasn't because he got blindsided by a dirty helmet to helmet in a game or anything. Bleh.

In comparison, "virtually [the] same stats" Marvin Jones has 2 dropped passes in 10 games, and has never fumbled once in his 9 NFL seasons -- the latter's an interesting tidbit. Also Marvin Jones is signed for about half of Corey Davis's contract, and at 31 isn't expected to be in his physical prime at a speed-skill position. Jones also catches most of his contested catches (10 of 17). Compare that to Davis who's hauled in just 4 of his last 11 such passes (I asked a friend with PFF access; no way I log that stuff myself lol). 

He's having a sh***y season. 

So your complaint is that JD didn't decide to sign the 31 year old free agent on a team that is rebuilding? 

Again, you haven't really proposed an alternative. Elite FA WRs don't shake free for a reason. You end up taking either old washed up vets or injury prone guys like Golloday and Fuller. 

Corey Davis has been a good signing considering the options. You can only grade a free agent signing relative to who else the GM could have signed. 

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So your complaint is that JD didn't decide to sign the 31 year old free agent on a team that is rebuilding? 

Again, you haven't really proposed an alternative. Elite FA WRs don't shake free for a reason. You end up taking either old washed up vets or injury prone guys like Golloday and Fuller. 

Corey Davis has been a good signing considering the options. You can only grade a free agent signing relative to who else the GM could have signed. 

Don't reword my thoughts for me. I say what I said and that's it. It requires no rewording or reinterpretation.

All I said is he hasn't been a categorical success, and that triggered you. Then I pointed out that Marvin Jones doesn't also come along with all the negatives that don't show up in fantasy football stats, is doing it at half the annual pricetag and 1/3 the guaranteed money, and you're responding as though I insulted a deity. 

Meanwhile I'm somehow quasi-defending Douglas - and another one of his failed FA additions - in another thread along with this, and and getting spoken to there like I'm some apologist for every bad acquisition he's made. 

I was ok with him signing Davis, though not head over heels, AND it hasn't been a categorical success. He also doesn't become one just because you're pointing to someone else having a worse season. Also unlike the flop I'm semi-excusing from the summer of '19 (Kalil), he had his fingerprints on the WR corps already before signing Davis -- in other words had he done a better job of tooling up beforehand, WR wouldn't have been a necessary signing in the first place. 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't reword my thoughts for me. I say what I said and that's it. It requires no rewording or reinterpretation.

So what you're REALLY saying is.....

All I said is he hasn't been a categorical success

Which seems demonstrably, objectively true to me.

I was ok with him signing Davis, though not head over heels, AND it hasn't been a categorical success.

I was against it, but the Board seemed sure I was wrong.

Half a season for David to prove the Board right.  So far, my doubts have been confirmed.

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

What you said there is certainly in line with how the coaches have not utilized him. They know more than we do, and have been proven right by his poor play with his given opportunities. 

I don’t want to give up on him yet and want to see if that potential becomes something.  Outside of him we really only have Davis and Moore.  There’s no other wideout on the roster that we know will be on the team next year. So I want to see a decent amount of Mims to gauge what we have.

Fair enough. If Mims comes along, that solves a lot of issues and opens up a bunch of possibilities with resources that would be used on WRs.

• Sympathy 1

i like to see Cole play more. he losing playing time to Moore. meaning there lining Moore to the outside alot. i wonder if that hurts his production if or when he moves inside. 

he seems to make some acrobatic catches like that non TD catch in the end zone which he got robbed. that was a TD