OH NO! The Roger Vick Story (New York Jets)

5 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

As a Jets fan, it's definitely one of our worst moments as a franchise. 

As a general sports fan, the "OH NO!" is one of the funniest goddamn things I've ever heard. 

Agreed - lol.

Good video, thanks for posting.

Vick should definitely have been better than he was - he was talented with good size and speed. He just kept fumbling, which you can't do as a pro RB.

The dumb Jets picked a Fullback stuff is definitely overblown though - back then, Fullbacks were a much bigger part of offensive schemes and other teams also picked Fullbacks high in the draft.

And, really, Vick was more of a big tailback than a pure Fullback.

This was back in my early years of Jets fandom, and I'll always wish that Vick had a better career as a Jet.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

As a Jets fan, it's definitely one of our worst moments as a franchise. 

As a general sports fan, the "OH NO!" is one of the funniest goddamn things I've ever heard. 

Believe it or not, the voice you hear yelling that is none other than Tony Pauline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I am being honest, if I don’t t go look him up, which I never have, I know absolutely nothing about Roger Vick or his story.  I know his name and believe he was a draft bust, that’s about the extent of my knowledge.

Anyone care to give a written version?  I hate watching/listening to audio like that.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Vick should definitely have been better than he was - he was talented with good size and speed. He just kept fumbling, which you can't do as a pro RB.

The dumb Jets picked a Fullback stuff is definitely overblown though - back then, Fullbacks were a much bigger part of offensive schemes and other teams also picked Fullbacks high in the draft.

This was back in my early years of Jets fandom, and I'll always wish that Vick had a better career as a Jet.

Good post, Craig ‘Ironhead’ Heyward is what Vick could’ve been…big, destructive runner with real athleticism and could catch out of the backfield…in those days that kind of back was the holy grail and teamed with Freeman McNeil & Johnny Hector he gave us a very (or what should’ve been) dynamic backfield back when running the ball remained the key to success. Earnest Byner & Kevin Mack were tearing it up in Cleveland back then and created the platform for the success of that Browns team. It wasn’t a terrible pick because he was a FB / TB hybrid he just didn’t deliver on his athletic promise 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Good post, Craig ‘Ironhead’ Heyward is what Vick could’ve been…big, destructive runner with real athleticism and could catch out of the backfield…in those days that kind of back was the holy grail and teamed with Freeman McNeil & Johnny Hector he gave us a very (or what should’ve been) dynamic backfield back when running the ball remained the key to success. Earnest Byner & Kevin Mack were tearing it up in Cleveland back then and created the platform for the success of that Browns team. It wasn’t a terrible pick because he was a FB / TB hybrid he just didn’t deliver on his athletic promise 

Kind of like how Johnny Lam Jones teamed up with Wesley Walker would have made our passing game impossible to stop

Failure of scouting. Vick was a big tailback who was never asked to do real FB stuff at A&M. The Jets needed a FB, and drafted a guy who did not even really play the position. The Jets basically made him learn a new position not suited to his skills. Put him as the lone back in a spread Offense and he’d perform like Gary Brown did on warren moon’s Oilers. (1,000+ yards in half a season for those too young to remember).

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

But what's with that thingy?!

On 11/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, mrcoops said:

But the fact is the Jets still desperately need a LT and passed up two Pro Bowl LT's, Harris Barton and Bruce Armstrong, in order to take a situational ball carrier.

Of course if the Jets had done the right thing and selected either Barton or Armstrong over Vick, it would've been an admission that Mike Haight, who they reached for about four rounds to early in the '86 draft, was a huge mistake- which everyone and their mother knew was the case.

Failure of scouting. Vick was a big tailback who was never asked to do real FB stuff at A&M. The Jets needed a FB, and drafted a guy who did not even really play the position. The Jets basically made him learn a new position not suited to his skills. Put him as the lone back in a spread Offense and he’d perform like Gary Brown did on warren moon’s Oilers. (1,000+ yards in half a season for those too young to remember).

i vaguely recall Vick turning the corner and tiptoeing the sideline nicely , a real athletic move, but other than that nothing of note.