Here’s why the Jets Should see a Better Version of Zach Wilson on Sunday vs Texans

JetNation

I really don't  get this need to defend Wilson like you are. I said i want to see him come out and open the first qrt with a 10 play drive. You said he did it against N.E. You were wrong. Now the argument is it isn't  Wilson's fault the other team scores? What I am implying is he do something to at least keep up to open the game. Nobody is blaming him for the other teams scoring. Wison has not put points on the board in the first qrt of any game he played in. 

No, a Wilson lead offense has not produced points in the 1st quarter but that isn’t indicative to what will happen in the future. As rookies get more playing time, the game slows down. He moved the offense 2 of the 3 drives against NE, as he gains experience and understands the offense he will get better. Wilson is far from a finished product, I just hope he reaches his ceiling.
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Claymation said:

No, a Wilson lead offense has not produced points in the 1st quarter but that isn’t indicative to what will happen in the future. As rookies get more playing time, the game slows down. He moved the offense 2 of the 3 drives against NE, as he gains experience and understands the offense he will get better. Wilson is far from a finished product, I just hope he reaches his ceiling.

And I basically wrote I want to see that to start the game. I still don't  see what is wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

But they made the decision to take Wilson while they had the #2 pick, and I can’t kill them for it. I don’t think anything was wasted here. Zach took some lumps, but it was also all a learning experience. The coaches did make adjustments, and Wilson looked decent in the Pats game before he got hurt. The offensive adjustments that Glenn writes about here are real and good moves. The Jets TEs suck and the WRs are actually pretty good. About time they got on the field more even if it didn’t fit your perfect offensive blueprint. I give LaFluer a lot of credit here, too. 

The mistake, imo, was handing Wilson the job in May and subjecting the rest of the org to his and LaFleur’s learning curve. Literally nothing about Wilson indicated that he was ready to play NFL football, and nothing about LaFleur indicated he was ready to develop a crown jewel QB prospect. The whole thing was a mess, and now they’re hoping that the great John Beck can moderate that mess? 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The mistake, imo, was handing Wilson the job in May and subjecting the rest of the org to his and LaFleur’s learning curve. Literally nothing about Wilson indicated that he was ready to play NFL football, and nothing about LaFleur indicated he was ready to develop a crown jewel QB prospect. The whole thing was a mess, and now they’re hoping that the great John Beck can moderate that mess? 

And? 

I get it. They bit off more than they could chew. @Sperm Edwards has posted about their arrogance. I’m thinking they were probably overconfident, and maybe a little too cocky. Definitely underestimated the job they were undertaking. But again, long term, what did they hurt? The focus all over the roster has been getting young guys on the field. If they had a veteran here to open the season, maybe that would’ve been different, but it seems to me that they wanted to get Zach those reps. And I think they were valuable reps. Way too early to say it was the wrong plan. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season. I hope for/expect real improvement. 

10 hours ago, JiFapono said:

A few times but that's kind of the point you seem to be missing.  First off, I'm not insulting your work here or your article, so dont take this personal.  I'm just simply saying, I think Zach Wilson being a better QB is going to the biggest factor in him improving.  This piece sort of absolves him from any wrong doing in the past and pointing the finger at all these things that sucked before him and now that they are good, Zach too will be good!  My point is, not sure it's that easy, he was really bad before the injury.  Maybe it is and we'll see it play out on Sunday but I think the biggest factor to Zach playing better on Sunday, will be Zach Wilson.  

No offense taken.  I don't write anything and expect some people to not disagree.  I guess I just view Wilson being the key to Wilson being better goes without saying.  Just pointing out what should be better support around him which also plays a role.  And it's not as if we haven't already seen some (although minor) improvement from him.  

Comp pct weeks 1-3: 58%

Comp pct weeks 4-7: 61%

Yards per att weeks 1-3: 5.98

Yards per att weeks 4-7: 7.10

He was also holding on to the ball way too long early on but has started getting it out faster, going from being sacked 15 times in his first 3 games to just 4 in his next 3.  Even considering he left very early vs the Pats, he was sacked just 3x in the previous two games.  O-line was definitely better, but he also stopped hanging on to the ball for as long as he had been.

Nothing earth shattering, but incremental improvement which is what we're looking for.

Now that he'll (presumably) be throwing to WR's and RBs over FBs and TE's as well as spreading the receivers out instead of using all bunch formations, he should have more opportunities to identify and exploit mismatches.  If he doesn't, it's not the end of the world, but not all that encouraging if he doesn't.

5 hours ago, slats said:

And? 

I get it. They bit off more than they could chew. @Sperm Edwards has posted about their arrogance. I’m thinking they were probably overconfident, and maybe a little too cocky. Definitely underestimated the job they were undertaking. But again, long term, what did they hurt? The focus all over the roster has been getting young guys on the field. If they had a veteran here to open the season, maybe that would’ve been different, but it seems to me that they wanted to get Zach those reps. And I think they were valuable reps. Way too early to say it was the wrong plan. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season. I hope for/expect real improvement. 

And, their handling of the one player that matter has been highly suspect and we have to hope it doesn’t remain suspect. There were enough questions about Wilson’s viability as an NFL starter before factoring in that the rookie coaching staff was going to sh*t the bed for eight months. Now they have to make up that time. 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

And, their handling of the one player that matter has been highly suspect and we have to hope it doesn’t remain suspect. There were enough questions about Wilson’s viability as an NFL starter before factoring in that the rookie coaching staff was going to sh*t the bed for eight months. Now they have to make up that time. 

There really weren’t a ton of questions, though. He was pretty locked in as the #2 QB in the draft after Lawrence early on. 

This was to be expected from a rookie coaching staff with a rookie QB. This wasn’t Mac Jones coming in to run an offense that’s been in place for two decades. Even with a veteran under center, the OL would’ve struggled with the new scheme and the whole offense would’ve taken some time to begin to gel. Right or wrong, they made a decision to start rookies across the board this year. That was a big part of their plan. Throw everyone into the fire and let’s all grow up together. Part of that was getting their would be franchise QB out there and learning on the job. There’s absolutely nothing that they need to make up. What they need -what Zach needs- is to play better down the stretch. Look like a team that’s growing and going somewhere. 

These guys aren’t on the same impatient timetable as a lot of fans, although I think it’s a loud minority that drives a lot of the conversation here. I also think people hoping for a playoff mandate next season will be disappointed once again. This group has a plan, like it or not, and they intend to take their time in executing it properly. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

There really weren’t a ton of questions, though. He was pretty locked in as the #2 QB in the draft after Lawrence early on. 

This was to be expected from a rookie coaching staff with a rookie QB. This wasn’t Mac Jones coming in to run an offense that’s been in place for two decades. Even with a veteran under center, the OL would’ve struggled with the new scheme and the whole offense would’ve taken some time to begin to gel. Right or wrong, they made a decision to start rookies across the board this year. That was a big part of their plan. Throw everyone into the fire and let’s all grow up together. Part of that was getting their would be franchise QB out there and learning on the job. There’s absolutely nothing that they need to make up. What they need -what Zach needs- is to play better down the stretch. Look like a team that’s growing and going somewhere. 

These guys aren’t on the same impatient timetable as a lot of fans, although I think it’s a loud minority that drives a lot of the conversation here. I also think people hoping for a playoff mandate next season will be disappointed once again. This group has a plan, like it or not, and they intend to take their time in executing it properly. 

I think they have a plan, just like Tannenbaum had a “plan,” and it’s fair to question the executioners of that plan when the early returns are terrible and the process is disjointed to the point that they had to recalibrate in November. It’s also good to remember that the much-despised “vocal minority” has been justified in raising concerns about the plans of Tannenbaum, etc over the years.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, JTJet said:

So summary -

Zach set up to fail and faced 4 Top 10 pass defenses with the least amount of recievers while Lafleur was on the sideline. 

Meanwhile White/Johnson/Flacco were set up for success with more recievers and Lafleur in the booth. 

But I was told Zach just sucked. 

Guess we will see. 

Good summary but Wilson still needed to make the bunny throws.  He had quite a few guys open and in the flat and he threw the ball where the guy couldn’t catch it.  He has to make those throws 10/10.

• Upvote 1