Hamsah Nasirildeen MIA since week 2

AFJF

9 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

There's nothing wrong with taking "raw" or risky guys in the later rounds...the problem is doing in in earlier ones.  In JD's first draft, he did so heavily in the first five rounds, and the results have been very disappointing so far.  I think good teams can take risks earlier, but bad teams need to minimize doing that to build some roster depth.

Becton, Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Morgan, and Clarke were all either raw, injury prone, and/or from smallish schools.  Sadly, there are huge ? on all those guys.  Seven picks in the first four rounds, and only one of them is playing regularly right now (Davis).  Not good, Bob. 

In JD's second draft, he took more polished guys (well, after Zach Wilson) in AVT, Moore, Carter in the first four rounds. The 2021 draft looks way better than 2020.

Maybe he's learned?

I think having his own scouting department in the building is helping also. He had mostly macs guys in 2020. Plus 2020 was a sh*t show draft wise. Tons of guys opted out, plenty of teams cancelled their season, and there was no combine. There were only 600ish draft eligible players compared to the usual 1200 or so 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I definitely think hamsah needs to bulk up a bit in the off-season. Taking dean in the draft will be a dream for me. He’s such an athletic freak 

Joe D has his work cut out for him at LB. Lots of self scouting needed. Can Mosley be descent at SLB? We don’t know what Nas and Sherwood are going to be. Jets fans wrote off Ashtyn Davis. I thought he'd be just an ok backup. But he's starting to look like an ok starter. Nas can take the same developmental path.

In the draft, Joe D is going to have to bring in a MLB. I haven't watched Dean play but he seems like a highly touted guy.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Joe D has his work cut out for him at LB. Lots of self scouting needed. We don’t know what Nas and Sherwood are going to be. Jets fans wrote off Ashtyn Davis. I thought he'd be just an ok backup. But he's starting to look like an ok starter. Nas can take the same developmental path.

In the draft, Joe D is going to have to bring in a MLB. I haven't watched Dean play but he seems like a highly touted guy.

Davis has been a pleasant surprise. He has all the physical tools you can ask for. In an interview I watched he said he’s learning to watch film because he never really knew how before. The mental part is key for him. 

yea man watch some dean he’s hella fun to watch. Flies all over the field 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I think having his own scouting department in the building is helping also. He had mostly macs guys in 2020. Plus 2020 was a sh*t show draft wise. Tons of guys opted out, plenty of teams cancelled their season, and there was no combine. There were only 600ish draft eligible players compared to the usual 1200 or so 

Fair, but he also had a "draft a little bit of everything" strategy rather than doubling up at OL and WR early like he could have. Those were big need areas and the draft was deep there. With so much uncertainty in the draft, he had a chance to jump start rebuilding the offense rather than taking a raw S and injury prone DE in the 3rd round.

The 3rd and 4th rounds do not look good there. I really wish he'd doubled in the 3rd round at OL and WR, then moved on to BPA type stuff in the 4th. Davis may work out...he's a willing tackler, but he's gotta stay healthy.  Zuniga was just a bad pick.

5 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Fair, but he also had a "draft a little bit of everything" strategy rather than doubling up at OL and WR early like he could have. Those were big need areas and the draft was deep there. With so much uncertainty in the draft, he had a chance to jump start rebuilding the offense rather than taking a raw S and injury prone DE in the 3rd round.

The 3rd and 4th rounds do not look good there. I really wish he'd doubled in the 3rd round at OL and WR, then moved on to BPA type stuff in the 4th. Davis may work out...he's a willing tackler, but he's gotta stay healthy.  Zuniga was just a bad pick.

Definitely agree with you. I was all in on the lamb train that year, and didn’t really want becton. Wills was my #1 OT. It’s so hard to tell how much involvement gase had in the draft. The change in systems really hurt that class too. Going from inside zone to outside and 3-4 to 4-3. Like perine fit that offense fairly well, this one not so much. Kind of the same with mims. Zuniga however I feel fits better in a 4-3 so hopefully he can turn it around. Davis has been impressing me recently. That Morgan pick is still baffling. Hall looks like the real deal though 

1 hour ago, derp said:

They tried to get cute with the safety-linebacker conversions, was a low risk proposition since those are dudes who can back up and contribute on special teams off the bat mid day three which is pretty much what you want there anyway. Thus far returns are closer to the floor than the ceiling for those picks - which is fine since the special teams play is valuable. Layer in Mosley not playing well and the linebacker spot seems kind of rough.

In a league where so much nickel is played and off-ball linebackers aren’t that valued they can probably get a massive upgrade if they spend a second round pick on an actual linebacker this year or a meaningful upgrade in FA for not that much money. Should be a pretty easy spot to fix.

Good post.  

Especially about day 3 picks being immediate special teams contributors.  Even if they miss, still get something positive out of the selection.

• Upvote 1

The 49ers have a pack of fast, small lbs who kick ass every year. Fred Warner is amazing, and Dre Greenlaw (who’s hurt) and Azeez Al-Shaair play at around 225. The problem is, they’re all coached by former pro bowl LB DeMeco Ryans, who currently has the Ninere defense ranked 8th in points allowed and 6th in yards allowed.

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Why are we always taking shots on "raw" players?    JD, how about bringing in some real talent?

The late rounds is exactly the spot you take raw talent.  

The “real talent”, IE talent ready to start almost immediately, came in the form of our earlier picks, AVT and Moore.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I'll try one more time:  It's not specifically about a sixth round pick.  It is that this team seems to annually rely on some "raw" prospect to miraculously contribute at a high level.   A guy like this belongs on the practice squad and soon out the door.  Not in discussions about how he will contribute on game days, which if beyond fanciful.

This critique works for a higher round guy like Zuniga.  But not in this case.

And I for one am happy to have a GM who values athleticism in the draft, even if it doesn’t always pan out.  Our prior GM didn’t care about athleticism at all and we saw how that played out. 

6th rounders goner 6 round, after the trade down to get AVT JD just throw high risk high returns type picks which seems not to have worked out.

The Draft seems ok it’s the 2020 draft which sucks ass, apart from a nice late round corner Hall and UDFA Bryce Huff it’s horrible, and I I’m very concerned Becton is a total wash.

The 49ers have a pack of fast, small lbs who kick ass every year. Fred Warner is amazing, and Dre Greenlaw (who’s hurt) and Azeez Al-Shaair play at around 225. The problem is, they’re all coached by former pro bowl LB DeMeco Ryans, who currently has the Ninere defense ranked 8th in points allowed and 6th in yards allowed.

this makes troubling the comments (if true) that the jets’ ss/lb picks weren’t the greatest athletically.

3 hours ago, jago said:

this makes troubling the comments (if true) that the jets’ ss/lb picks weren’t the greatest athletically.

I don’t know what Hamsah’s issues are.  He was supposed to be great athletically.  Obviously needed some weight and strength.  Sherwood was supposed to be limited athletically.  

• Sympathy 1