Jets would incur $20 mil in dead money if they were to look to move on from Mosley after this season

AFJF

From my understanding, the Jets intended to focus their $ on the defensive line so that the pass rush would make up the deficiencies on the second and third level of the defense. Mosely not playing well hasn't helped, but the DL generally being a major disappointment has had a bigger impact. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you can surround Mosely with some more playmakers on defense, I think that he would have real value and a leadership role on this team.

Therein lies the rub with the whole roster.

In order to be good Mosely needs weaponz 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The Mosely  experiment is failing.

cut bait…JD do your stuff and trade him somehow 

NOT A CHANCE.

He is on this team next year, if nothing else, for depth.  

In 2023, you can cut him and save over $15 million and only lose $3 million to the prorated bonus over 2023 and 2024.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

In that moment, I don't think so.  Mosely was a 4x pro-bowler who had missed all of 3 starts in 5 seasons.

No GM could have known he'd get hurt and lose a year in the first game as a Jet.

No GM could have predicted COVID, and that Mosely would choose to sit for a year after his lost year.

I'm happy to assign blame where appropriate, but this one isn't it.  On it's face, signing Mosely looked like a very good move, justified by how well he played that one shining first half as a Jet before it all came crumbling down.

Now?  He's a guy who basically didn't play football for two years (2019, 2020) and he just isn't the same guy now.

Sucks, but hard to say any GM "should have known" this would be the outcome IMO.

you do not hand out huge long term deals to non premium position players.

Enough people questioned the signing at the time as being a risk that I do not view this as 'hindsight'  The word 'hindsight' can be used to excuse every single bad move a gm makes.

Mosley might be he biggest dog fa signing this team ever had, that includes such bright lights as tru johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

More stellar GM work.

I keep hearing how, given the team is not competitive, we need to overpay for good free agents to join the team. However, when a GM does, he's crucified after the fact. By no way am I making excuses for Mac, but given that he was failing in the draft (still disappointed that we took QW 3rd overall and Adams 6th overall), he painted himself in a corner and needed to bring in talent. He then overpaid and created the current narrative.

I don't know how often high priced FAs work out, but it doesn't seem to be a viable options moving forward. FAs need to be complimentary and not core to a team's development.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

In that moment, I don't think so.  Mosely was a 4x pro-bowler who had missed all of 3 starts in 5 seasons.

No GM could have known he'd get hurt and lose a year in the first game as a Jet.

No GM could have predicted COVID, and that Mosely would choose to sit for a year after his lost year.

I'm happy to assign blame where appropriate, but this one isn't it.  On it's face, signing Mosely looked like a very good move, justified by how well he played that one shining first half as a Jet before it all came crumbling down.

Now?  He's a guy who basically didn't play football for two years (2019, 2020) and he just isn't the same guy now.

Sucks, but hard to say any GM "should have known" this would be the outcome IMO.

Couldn’t have known about either issue, but is there any prescient for a defensive FA (or costly trade) being signed to a record setting deal where hindsight shows that to have been a good idea?

And this isn’t even taking into consideration the 3-4 ILB value.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I thought JD was in a complete rebuild with the philosophy of playing rookies.   If that's the case, find a rookie to replace Mosley.   Whether that guy can play or not is irrelevant as this is, again, a total rebuild.    And as many here have said, winning won't be  important for another two or three years.

What, the defense isn't  playing bad enough?

30 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yea the LB room is a problem. 

No question LB’s are a problem but I think the d line is the major culprit as they do not provide any protection for linebackers in run game and pass rush is at best spotty which doesn’t help the young secondary we have. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Making a non-pass-rushing ILB in a 3-4 defense the highest paid LB in the league at the time was a bad move, period. Mosley wasn’t excited about leaving the Ravens, so Mac added a couple million a year and more guaranteed to lure him over. Catching his big fish just like Tanny used to. At some point, you have to realize a move will not be cost effective. It’s a great example of just how terrible Maccagnan was, although not as great an example as the Bell signing. 

Anyway, the COVID off year really messed things up. Basically backed up his guarantees a year. Without that year, he’d have gotten that $16M guaranteed this season, and they could’ve cut bait cheaply next year. Instead, they’re probably forced to keep him on for another season. 

and thats the problem we have being in NY/NJ and being a bad franchise. we have to overpay to get the good players here. and with the big contracts will come an extra year or 2 we know we really shouldnt give. and they probably will not play that well in those years. but someone will give them that contract.

and thats something we all need to think about when we keep saying JD has to sign the big-name guys. almost all of them don't play well all the way to the end of their contracts. 

• Upvote 1

Im pretty sure he could still play in a different system, but he’s clearly ill suited for this one (as is all our lbers).

So he might carry some trade value (we would only have 7.5 million dead in that case), which would be worth it if the compensation was good enough and we had a competent team leader that could call plays out (his PFF numbers don’t account for that very important role).

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

Trumaine Johnson

Leveon Bell 

CJ Mosely 

Just these three signings so just how bad Maccaganan was. Couple that with his draft choices and other personnel decisions (which not many are in the league anymore ) kinda proves that roster needed to be completely torn down.
Sheesh what a disaster 

I still wish that Mac develops a coffee allergy.   Driving by a Starbucks gives him hives.

aladdin genie Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Haha 2

Mosley looked like maybe he was something earlier in the season but he seems to have disappeared. He doesn't seem to be a fit for the defense and maybe lacks the athleticism of his earlier days to justify the contract.

Mac said early on he wanted to build a sustainable roster and one of the ways he intended to do that was to follow what he described as the Steelers model. He described it as building up inventory at positions where good players could be acquired reasonably in the draft year over year in positions where guys normally wanted a big second contract. If you can build a stable of young guys at those positions you can free up money to spend where it's harder to get performance on rookie contracts. You could let your starters go when they wanted big contracts and slide in a young player. He specifically mentioned LB as one of these positions and I believe he mentioned the same at slot receiver and RB. 

That would have been a fine approach if he wasn't awful at talent evaluation across the board. It seemed like he knew his plan wasn't working and decided to try to pay to bring in starters and then draft in behind them and let the rookies learn from experienced vets. That explains a lot about the latter contracts Mac gave out. Mac made poor choices year over year and as he felt the pressure of poor performance he panicked and decisions got worse. 

I don't know what the right answer is with Mosley. That is a lot of dead money to cut him loose and who is going to replace him that's better? The least awful option may be letting Mac's poor decisions attrit with the least harm to the team and allocate resources where they can add the most value. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

Mosley begged Baltimore to match or even come close and they declined. He never wanted to be here and he’s mostly played like it. The Jets shouldn’t even wait until the offseason to cut him. They should show some mercy and do it today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I thought JD was in a complete rebuild with the philosophy of playing rookies.   If that's the case, find a rookie to replace Mosley.   Whether that guy can play or not is irrelevant as this is, again, a total rebuild.    And as many here have said, winning won't be  important for another two or three years.

Much longer than that. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mosley is good and sometimes great. 

After 2022 he’ll be cut with 3 mill dead cap or restructured.  His contract is the last haunting remnant of the disastrous Mac Era.

The jet tax was an extra $4 mill a year from previous ILB contracts at the time of signing - absurd

I have not seen one shred of evidence of the bolded part.  He has had a grand total of one good quarter in the 3 years or so he has been here.  He stinks this year.

Also, all this good leader hooey, if you can't play well you can;t lead.

The Jets could decide like Trumaine that they should take the cap hit and save the roster spot.  I don’t think it gets there. 

Mosley is very smart. He knows that next year is his money year.   He will be playing for his next contract.

If the Jets cut him next year and he ends up playing well for another team while the Jets pay him, they will look like idiots.  

If the Jets can trade Mosley and have that other team assume any meaningful portion of his salary, that is an option.  

But otherwise my suspicion is that the Jets in 2022 are their best self if Mosley is on the team fighting for a contact for 2023.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have not seen one shred of evidence of the bolded part.  He has had a grand total of one good quarter in the 3 years or so he has been here.  He stinks this year.

Also, all this good leader hooey, if you can't play well you can;t lead.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/05/c-j-mosley-like-a-cheat-code-on-defense-says-jets-coach/amp/

I bold YOU!

• Upvote 1