Watched 2nd half of Jets/Steelers AFC Championship Game

TuscanyTile2

I hadn't seen this game since it happened.  I only re-watched the 2nd half.  I will say that Sanchez played very well (like surprisingly well!)  He was a better post-season QB than he was in regular season.  So strange!  But below are some screw-ups that cost us a chance at a comeback:

1) 3Q 10:37 down 24-10: I think this play might've cost us the game.  We had just scored a TD.  An INT here (inside Steelers' territory) could've really turned the tide.  Instead, Kyle Wilson let the ball hit him in the face.

511391162_1-KyleWilsonDroppedINTdown24-10early2H.gif.752b1d3bdffba371b6393d3e0371218d.gif

2) 3Q 10:37 down 24-10: The Steelers did end up having to punt after the dropped INT but we ran into the kicker, giving them a 1st down, allowing them to run more clock down plus gaining field position.  If Kyle Wilson didn't drop the INT though, this wouldn't have even happened.

1565690371_2-RunningIntotheKicker.gif.1794627508300369490b2d93b190f8c7.gif

3) 4Q 12:38  Jets down 24-10. 2nd and 9:  This could've been called as a roughing penalty but wasn't. Elbow flies right into the helmet of a QB who had given himself up. Admittedly, it didn't look as bad at regular speed and this is football.  That set up the play below.

811964440_3-Nopenaltycalled.gif.29155bb433ce6fedb66ee1db2e7fcaf7.gif

4) 4Q 11:54 down 24-10 ball on Steeler 20: On 3rd down and 3, we came up short by 1 yard to the Steeler 18 but it was a clear helmet-to-helmet that should've been called (unless maybe that penalty didn't exist at the time?)  We did end up getting the 1st down on the next play,

1882698143_4-PreHelmet-to-helmet.gif.17e5cbaa40878b64cfac15e7c51a63f7.gif

5) 4Q: Pure chaos.  The previous play ended with ~8:32 left.  2nd and goal was coming up but we had trouble getting the play in.  Looked like it was a headset issue.  We ended up not getting the TD.  In other words, we had a 17 play drive that used up ~8 minutes but we didn't score.  We did get a safety but that really didn't help our cause because we still trailed by 12 points (meaning we still required 2 TDs)

1353801331_5.1-Headsetnotworkingtakesforevertogetplaycalled.gif.204dfdc8c3c18b787eefacb09f23ae93.gif

Sanchez had to sprint to the sidelines to get the play

168674849_5.2-Headsetnotworkingtakesforevertogetplaycalled.gif.43857aa547fca4ded8df3cbed38db2dd.gif

We finally take the snap with 7:57 left.

429981721_5.3-Headsetnotworkingtakesforevertogetplaycalled.gif.524663a3d1554183a6b409dac90c23b6.gif

We ended up having a 17 play drive that used up ~8 minutes and we didn't score.  Then our defense got a safety on the next play. 

image.png.e79a61e52eae29cfbb81099a4ed09a9c.png

6) 4Q 6:56 Jets down 24-12 ball on the Steeler 37: Jets screw up the running play.  Then Sanchez (smartly) tries to make the best of the situation by running forward.  However, he runs into Mangold's leg, causing Mangold to miss several plays due to injury.  This was the precursor to the butt-fumble. 

1456371417_6-JetsscrewupplaySanchezinjuresMangold644left4Q.gif.6ee3bed274c552d19c6b0503654b64e1.gif

7) 4Q 5:57 Jets down 24-12 ball on Steeler 27: Another running play mix-up.  Sanchez and LDT bump legs and LDT falls into an OL.

539905315_7-SanchezleghitsLDT.gif.8c888d2642e114ce4df498b0007f1831.gif

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

this is why people hate Jets they should love. they harp on the bad..
i only rewatch the games we win. you should check out the NE game the week before. you will fall in love with Rex again, trust me.
Lots of toe shots ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

That’s why I don’t get why Sanchez is sooo reviled by some of the fan base. Sanchez was a easy guy to root for as he was a bit goofy was a hard worker didn’t make any excuses didn’t hide from media to answer tough questions and teammates liked him. it was unfortunate that it Turned out he wasn’t a good QB but he did play well in the playoffs have to give him that 

By the end of his tenure here he was atrocious.  People might not remember this but he was approaching the point of getting booed mercilessly by the fans had he started the season opener (the year he got hurt in preseason, leading to Geno).  

11 hours ago, CSNY said:

That’s why I don’t get why Sanchez is sooo reviled by some of the fan base. Sanchez was a easy guy to root for as he was a bit goofy was a hard worker didn’t make any excuses didn’t hide from media to answer tough questions and teammates liked him. it was unfortunate that it Turned out he wasn’t a good QB but he did play well in the playoffs have to give him that 

He led us to negative 7 points in the first half of this game, and you wonder why he was reviled?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I was at the game.  It was lost in the first half when Schitthead called for Sanchez in the shotgun to drop an additional few steps when it was 3rd and 17.

This was a no-brainer draw and punt.

Incorrect call by the refs. Wasn’t an empty hand. Ball was moving forward. That’s what cost us the game. Steelers sent everybody blitzing and Sanchez had open WRs. Would’ve been a first and a chance to score a FG if not a TD. Straight 10 to 14 point difference right there. I refuse to agree with the call. And when you’re down 17-0 in an away game, draw n punt ain’t getting you anywhere. Gotta be aggressive. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Incorrect call by the refs. Wasn’t an empty hand. Ball was moving forward. That’s what cost us the game. Steelers sent everybody blitzing and Sanchez had open WRs. Would’ve been a first and a chance to score a FG if not a TD. Straight 10 to 14 point difference right there. I refuse to agree with the call. And when you’re down 17-0 in an away game, draw n punt ain’t getting you anywhere. Gotta be aggressive. 

Disagree.  There was only about two minutes left in the half.

Considering nothing had gone right in the first half, down and distance, where they were on the field, the risk-reward for trying to pick up a 3rd and 17 against the Steelers defense was a poor choice.

That’s like shoving all-in when the only hand that will call has you beat.    

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Disagree.  There was only about two minutes left in the half.

Considering nothing had gone right in the first half, down and distance, where they were on the field, the risk-reward for trying to pick up a 3rd and 17 against the Steelers defense was a poor choice.

That’s like shoving all-in when the only hand that will call has you beat.    

It was an all out blitz. A split second more and it would’ve been a completion. Regardless, we lost on that play not because of the play call but because of the incorrect call by the refs. 

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Nothing really better encapsulates the excuse-making of those who like to suck-off the very worst of Jets players than focusing on one half of a game in which that same player was personally responsible for the margin of defeat while being a completely useless pile of garbage in the other half of that game.

I'm no fan of Sanchez (that's SAR).  Was thrilled when he was gone.