***OFFICIAL JETS VS TEXANS GAME THREAD****

T0mShane

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What strategy?  We've never properly tanked as a franchise.  Even in 2020, we had the # 1 pick in sights and won 2 meaningless games to fall to # 2.

Granted, Trevor Lawrence doesn't exactly look good either, but I at least have SOME hope he'll be a real QB in this league.  Not so much with Wilson.

You’ve watched Lawrence? You’ve seen enough from Fields? What’s gained by losing? Draft position… in this draft? Dline had a get right game, OL seems to be improving in the run game. 

• Upvote 1

If you're going to blame Griffin for that play (rightfully so), you also need to blame Wilson for his many inaccurate throws today to open receivers.  

I’m not talking about the game, I’m talking about the one specific play where it bounced off our tight ends hands for an incompletion.

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

For almost as long as I’ve been a member on this board, right around this time every season, it’s “let’s just lose for draft position”. It hasn’t worked and it won’t ever work.

I never cheer for losses.  Let’s be honest even if we win some game we are stilll going to have 2 first rounders in the top 15 and 4 picks in the top 50.  So this whole “yeah lets root for our QB to be bad and tank to get the top pick” has really gotten old and ridiculous 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can play that game too.  Would have been a double digit loss if we played even a remotely competent opponent.

19 points of offense barely got it done against Houston.  I'm not gonna be excited about that.  

Fair points.

Idk man, I’ve had a rough week from things outside of football.  I guess I’m just approaching things like football and hobbies with more of a “try to find silver linings and have some patience” mentality.  This is entertainment after all.  If Zach fails, I won’t let it be the gut punch that missing on Sanchez and Sam was.  I’ll just say “next man up”!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

For almost as long as I’ve been a member on this board, right around this time every season, it’s “let’s just lose for draft position”. It hasn’t worked and it won’t ever work.

Fans preach it.  The team never practices it.  We've never actually properly tanked when given the opportunity.  We always win late season meaningless games.  THAT is a big reason why its never worked.  Other teams are even better at sucking at the right time than we are.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I can’t even argue with it anymore. You, like most jets fans, just love being angry at it all. Can’t even be happy that our rookie qb, coming off a knee injury and missing 4 weeks, makes a good play. Can’t be happy with a W cause of wanting better draft position - only to probably give the GM sh!t for the pick right about this time next year. It’s insufferable.

I don't love being angry.  I hate rooting for a team that is consistently one of the bottom 5 teams in the NFL, and demand better.  Big difference.  

5 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

No he doesn’t. Look at his feet. Sam has happy feet. Zach doesn’t.

The game is still too fast for him… but not all the time. 
He’s a rookie, in case you forgot!

Darnold looked better as a rookie than Wilson has.  And Wilson has a better supporting cast and a better system than Darnold did.

Scary thought, eh?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No reason for the jets to tank games this yr, if you are not drafting a qb you try to win every game.

About that part....

And even if you're not in the market for a QB, there are always teams looking to move up.  Don't want to draft a QB high?  Fine.  Trade down for three 1st rounders.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I can’t even argue with it anymore. You, like most jets fans, just love being angry at it all. Can’t even be happy that our rookie qb, coming off a knee injury and missing 4 weeks, makes a good play. Can’t be happy with a W cause of wanting better draft position - only to probably give the GM sh!t for the pick right about this time next year. It’s insufferable.

You’re better off.  I’ve learned to just ignore him.  I kind of feel bad because being that miserable is a horrible way to live but such is life

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You’ve watched Lawrence? You’ve seen enough from Fields? What’s gained by losing? Draft position… in this draft? Dline had a get right game, OL seems to be improving in the run game. 

From what I've seen I like more of what I've seen from Lawrence and Fields than what I've seen from Wilson.  They haven't been good, but they've been better.

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I never cheer for losses.  Let’s be honest even if we win some game we are stilll going to have 2 first rounders in the top 15 and 4 picks in the top 50.  So this whole “yeah lets root for our QB to be bad and tank to get the top pick” has really gotten old and ridiculous 

I have to admit, the #2 pick would bring in a ton a draft capital - but I always root for the win - can't help it.

I get your point. It is worse - many on this site root for losses or bad plays because the don't like the player, HC or GM. Instead of rooting for the team and hoping for the best, they seem to root against the team or the player to prove in their minds that they were right...

The Jets won a hard fought game today where the defense played really well in the second half. They won a game they should be winning. Which is good. Wilson, however was not good. Simple throws to the feet or over the head of receivers is not going to inspire confidence in anyone being remotely realistic. 

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Fair points.

Idk man, I’ve had a rough week from things outside of football.  I guess I’m just approaching things like football and hobbies with more of a “try to find silver linings and have some patience” mentality.  This is entertainment after all.  If Zach fails, I won’t let it be the gut punch that missing on Sanchez and Sam was.  I’ll just say “next man up”!

I hear ya.  I'd love for the Jets to actually entertain me some day!  Maybe they'll get there....

The Bengals game sure was fun though.  Just saying.  :)

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I have to admit, the #2 pick would bring in a ton a draft capital - but I always root for the win - can't help it.

I get your point. It is worse - many on this site root for losses or bad plays because the don't like the player, HC or GM. Instead of rooting for the team and hoping for the best, they seem to root against the team or the player to prove in their minds that they were right...

Look my mindset is if it happens fine but I would never root for it to happen.  I’ve always been a supporter of accumulating more assets in a trade down if it made sense.  Who knows maybe we can still do it with one of our first rounders 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hear ya.  I'd love for the Jets to actually entertain me some day!  Maybe they'll get there....

The Bengals game sure was fun though.  Just saying.  :)

So was the Titans game 😉

Hopefully we have more of those types of games ahead of us!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

He was moving fine all through the 1st Q.

Wow.  Just wow.

The fact that he was hobbling around should be evidence that his knee was likely still unstable.

Players with tweaked hamstrings move fine in warmups, and maybe a quarter or two, but if not fully healed they aggravate it again.

Also, ever heard the phrase injuries beget more injuries?  Yeah… that is 100% true.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm actually a lovely person in real life.  Just miserable when it comes to the Jets.

Not saying you’re a bad guy.  I wouldn’t be surprised if you are cool.  I’m fine with disagreeing on certain things but it seems like you are upset with a lot of my points and are quoting most of my posts today 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

From what I've seen I like more of what I've seen from Lawrence and Fields than what I've seen from Wilson.  They haven't been good, but they've been better.

They’ve been terrible. Fields is throwing to Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney. Lawrence’s OL and run game were supposed to be better than Wilson’s. They’ve all been bad and the only reason you think Fields has been worthy of any benefit is your predraft bias. Need evidence? Look at Andy Dalton’s performance. 

It’s growing pains, Wilson might always suck but this team is beyond losing for draft positioning.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold looked better as a rookie than Wilson has.  And Wilson has a better supporting cast and a better system than Darnold did.

Scary thought, eh?

That’s my point. It’s too early to tell whether or not the kid has it or not. Darnold showed promise in year 1. Then the league figured him out ( I see ghosts!) and it was curtains for Sam.
Too early to tell. The kid showed some grit today by getting his nose dirty when asked of him. Give him that!

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

That’s my point. It’s too early to tell whether or not the kid has it or not. Darnold showed promise in year 1. Then the league figured him out ( I see ghosts!) and it was curtains for Sam.
Too early to tell. The kid showed some grit today by getting his nose dirty when asked of him. Give him that!

His best play today was a run.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

They’ve been terrible. Fields is throwing to Allen Robinson and Darnell Mooney. Lawrence’s OL and run game were supposed to be better than Wilson’s. They’ve all been bad and the only reason you think Fields has been worthy of any benefit is your predraft bias. Need evidence? Look at Andy Dalton’s performance. 

It’s growing pains, Wilson might always suck but this team is beyond losing for draft positioning.

I thought Fields looked very good in the Steeler game. 

Maybe I still have lingering pre-draft bias towards Fields (hell, I still am favorable towards Lance) but at least recognize the bias in your Wilson takes too.  You can't chalk up all his flaws displayed thus far to "growing pains" or "one bad game" anymore.  You just can't.  7 games is enough to see he has serious deficiencies, some of which seem unlikely to ever be fixed.

One thing's for sure:  The 2021 QB class isn't exactly gonna rival '83 or '04.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Wow.  Just wow.

The fact that he was hobbling around should be evidence that his knee was likely still unstable.

Players with tweaked hamstrings move fine in warmups, and maybe a quarter or two, but if not fully healed they aggravate it again.

Also, ever heard the phrase injuries beget more injuries?  Yeah… that is 100% true.

I would tend to agree with you if not for the "hobbling around" bit.

Like I said, he was moving around fine all through the start of the game. He was not hobbling around.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

....7 games is enough to see he has serious deficiencies....

This is an excellent summary analysis of Wilson to-date IMO.

The deficiencies outnumber the "flashes" so far this year.

As noted, he has ~ 40 more games to show who and what he is, and to prove his doubters wrong, before the Jets are likely to move on.

The analysis continues.  On to the Eagles.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought Fields looked very good in the Steeler game. 

Maybe I still have lingering pre-draft bias towards Fields (hell, I still am favorable towards Lance) but at least recognize the bias in your Wilson takes too.  You can't chalk up all his flaws displayed thus far to "growing pains" or "one bad game" anymore.  You just can't.  7 games is enough to see he has serious deficiencies, some of which seem unlikely to ever be fixed.

One thing's for sure:  The 2021 QB class isn't exactly gonna rival '83 or '04.

I’d feel the same way about Fields or Lawrence. 7 games isn’t nothing but it’s almost nothing. The Zach Wilson led Jets just beat a middling QB and he did beat the Titans, and had the team within 1 defensive stop of a drive to win the game against the Falcons and the Panthers. 

I’ll be ready to jettison Wilson some point next year if things don’t improve.