***OFFICIAL JETS VS TEXANS GAME THREAD****

T0mShane

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The same people talking about "rust" were some of the same people who said Wilson should have sat out another week or 2.  You know, because of all the benefit there would be to his game to sit and watch.

Sure, he built up some confidence, but it was offset by the rust. Gotta give him another year to get the rust:confidence ratio right.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Like I said.  Put a % on it.  THEN feel free to meme it up.

Who cares? He's guiding his throws because he's thinking too much. He needs to stack some good weeks and build confidence. Let's hope the ugly win takes some pressure off and he plays better next week. I don't care about % of plays. He didn't play well, clearly. 

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno, today felt an awful lot like some of those old Mangini games where even a win was a brutal slog to sit through. I’m really hoping that the team can string a few wins together and finish on a high note but can anyone say they enjoyed watching football today? That was gnarly.

I enjoyed it.  Saw a few things that could be pieces for the future. 

And a win is always more fun to watch that a 50 point less.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well if you ask Zach fanboys here, the Bengals win doesn't mean a whole lot because Mike White was under center.

Even bad teams win games from time to time.  It's really hard to go 0-16 (or 0-17 in this season's case).  Due to the salary cap and teams not playing much defense anymore, lots of games come down to turnovers or one team making just one or 2 more plays than the other.  The Bengals and Titans wins were nice, but they're looking a lot more like anomalies at this point. 

It's why I harp so much on point differential.  The Jets are still # 31 in the league in this category (-128, Texans fell to # 32 at -135), even with 3 wins under our belt.  That's a really bad team right there.

Unless you are the Cowardly Lions 0-10-1

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

What is the benefit of tanking? We had the second overall pick last year.  This year we will probably end up with two top 20 picks it at worst top pick picks and two second rounders 

100% agree on this one.  If we were able to improve thru the draft it would have happened years ago but it hasn't.   We're only going to improve by growing what we have and changing the culture.  

And not for nuthin do you think Zack feels this is a meaningless win? Of course not.  He's thinking he got a win and how to build on it.  Ditto for everyone with more than 1yr left on their contract.  

It's a steep hill but at some point someone is going to dig in and start climbing.  Saleh needs Zack to get better every game.  Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go all in on Zack but I think I like what I see from Saleh given the hand he's been dealt.  I might wager a few chips on the guy who never played the game. 

... and yes, I watch Ted Lasso.

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Like Parcells said and it's my favorite quote, don't tell me about the pain just show me the baby-

That's a great one.  He truly was one of the great motivators.

Another of my favorites sadly is starting to apply to Becton, "Sometimes a player's best ability is his availability."

• Upvote 1

OK.  So if you 2 were putting it down to percentages, on what % of plays did Wilson contribute to the win, and on what % of the plays would you say he either had no impact OR a negative impact (I.E. contributed to the team nearly losing this one)?

I'd say 90- 95 % he had either no impact OR a negative impact.  5-10 % positive.  How about you?

i don't know, but it seems like he made some crucial plays in the second half that we don’t win without. 95% seems pretty high, but I’m too lazy to fight you on it 

OK.  So if you 2 were putting it down to percentages, on what % of plays did Wilson contribute to the win, and on what % of the plays would you say he either had no impact OR a negative impact (I.E. contributed to the team nearly losing this one)?

I'd say 90- 95 % he had either no impact OR a negative impact.  5-10 % positive.  How about you?

Do we put handoff completions in the positive column?

😛

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t agree at all. Vera-Tucker, Moore, both Michael Carter’s. The reason we lose is because we have no players from the 2013-19 drafts.

I will give you those players hands down. Not much from the rest of the team. Jfm finally showed something albeit to a bad team, let's see if it continues. 

We are halfway through the season and I don't see much progression like we thought we would see, like our coaches keep saying. 

I also hate saying we need to lose to draft first. We need progression and start drafting in the middle at least

1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

OK. Be miserable.

I don't like being miserable.  I'd prefer the Jets were good, or at the very least not one of the 3 worst teams in the NFL, but they aren't good at all, and nothing that happened today moved the needle in any substantial way.  

But sure, be happy with W.  Today really showed we're headed in the right direction!

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is an excellent summary analysis of Wilson to-date IMO.

The deficiencies outnumber the "flashes" so far this year.

As noted, he has ~ 40 more games to show who and what he is, and to prove his doubters wrong, before the Jets are likely to move on.

The analysis continues.  On to the Eagles.

Good lord, unless he shows he's definitively the guy very soon, we'd better not give him 40 more games.  We gave Darnold the QB1 job for too long and he hasn't proven us wrong for trading him. 

If he still sucks halfway thru the 2022 season, that's about the latest I pull the plug.  1.5 seasons is plenty of time to see whether you have a QB good enough to build around.  

If Josh Rosen can get cut loose after 13 starts and not have it come back to bite Arizona, about 20 starts is plenty for Wilson to show who he is....or who he ISN'T.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is an excellent summary analysis of Wilson to-date IMO.

The deficiencies outnumber the "flashes" so far this year.

As noted, he has ~ 40 more games to show who and what he is, and to prove his doubters wrong, before the Jets are likely to move on.

The analysis continues.  On to the Eagles.

Why stop at 40? I think 400 is a fair sample size.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why stop at 40? I think 400 is a fair sample size.

40 would be the end of three seasons (17+17+6 left this year) of his five year rookie contract.

Do you believe the Johnsons and JD will replace or cut the #2 pick in the draft before the end of his third season, given the JD/Saleh circumstances?

I do not at this time.  Not advocating, just opining.

2 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Unless you are the Cowardly Lions 0-10-1

They still have a tie.  So they can't go 0-17.  And we all know they're going to find a way to win a game down or 2 the stretch.  They only by 2 to the Bears on Thanksgiving, and they're not really close to being a historically inept team.  

Just now, Warfish said:

40 would be the end of three seasons.

Do you think the Johnsons and JD will replace or cut the #2 pick in the draft before the end of his third season, given the JD/Saleh circumstances?

I do not.  Not advocating, just opining.

Cut?  Perhaps not.  Add legitimate QB competition?  I sure hope so.  Wilson should not be the unquestioned QB1 heading into year 3 if he is still playing like dogsh*t after year 2.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Add legitimate QB competition?  I sure hope so.  Wilson should not be the unquestioned QB1 heading into year 3 if he is still playing like dogsh*t after year 2.  

I agree.

But I also know how the NFL works generally. 

I expect the competition in year 2 to be White and some castoff Vet.  No one legit.

Year three?  Hard to say today, but probably more of the same.

I don't see "legit competition" being brought in, as I would define "legit", and I don't see an open competition happening thill after year three either.

Again, not advocating, just saying how I see it playing out.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Assuming the object of the game is to win, I can’t agree. Let’s revisit when they manage to actually win a game 

Most games come down to 2-3 plays.  If you really think there's a materially significant difference between 3-8 and 0-10-1, then you believe far too much in that Parcells "you are what your record says" quote.

We've been outscored by 135 points on the season.  The Lions have been outscored by 115.  Thus, we've been more inept than the Lions overall.  Unless there's a massive difference in schedule strength between the 2 teams, the Lions are better.

Just now, Warfish said:

I agree.

But I also know how the NFL works generally. 

I expect the competition in year 2 to be White and some castoff Vet.  No one legit.

Year three?  Hard to say today, but probably more of the same.

I don't see "legit competition" being brought in, as I would define "legit", and I don't see an open competition happening thill after year three either.

Again, not advocating, just saying how I see it playing out.  

You're probably right and all of that makes me sad.