Jets with Zach - like it or not

WowOhWow

Really curious to see how this goes. White and Flacco made their hay by planting their feet in the pocket, waiting it out, and getting pasted in the process. In the few instances where Zach has looked good, it was when he was bailing out and running for his life. If the plan is to get Wilson to be a pocket passer, I don’t see how that works considering his size and skillset. It  makes you wonder if the marriage of him and LaFleur is going to last very long at all. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Really curious to see how this goes. White and Flacco made their hay by planting their feet in the pocket, waiting it out, and getting pasted in the process. In the few instances where Zach has looked good, it was when he was bailing out and running for his life. If the plan is to get Wilson to be a pocket passer, I don’t see how that works considering his size and skillset. It  makes you wonder if the marriage of him and LaFleur is going to last very long at all. 

Please stop trying to make Mike White happen. He’s trash. 
White only looked good taking the check down as fast as he could. His style is nothing like Wilson. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It makes you wonder why we took zach

if we wanted the pocket passer for this offense Mac Jones was sitting there easily at 2

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Please stop trying to make Mike White happen. He’s trash. 
White only looked good taking the check down as fast as he could. His style is nothing like Wilson. 

And the check down was there. Once teams took it away, white had to make real throws.  He wasn’t bad but it’s doubtful he’ll win the job from Wilson.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why size? Is Aaron Rodgers limited by his size? I don’t get the obsession with Wilson’s size, at least with respect to his ability to actually run the offense and play the position.  If you are worried about durability, that’s a different argument  (and a valid concern). 

On the flip side, Wilson’s ability to be an effective pocket passer is the name of the game (as it is for basically all QBs). Not sure if he can be that or not, tbh 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why size? Is Aaron Rodgers limited by his size? I don’t get the obsession with Wilson’s size, at least with respect to his ability to actually run the offense and play the position.  If you are worried about durability, that’s a different argument  (and a valid concern). 

On the flip side, Wilson’s ability to be an effective pocket passer is the name of the game (as it is for basically all QBs). Not sure if he can be that or not, tbh 

Wilson’s size as it figures into standing in the pocket and taking those hits

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The answer is likely no and that’s why today will be an unmitigated disaster. Of all the reasons and excuses we will  hear you just posted the right one. Zach is 100% wrong QB for what LaFleur wants to do. Tall, steady and  accurate seems right as LaFleur’s thing, 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

but he is not a pocket passer. like @kevinc855 said if we wanted one we should have drafted him.

thats why i dont think you try to change Zach. let him be who he is and let him run out of the pocket. he just needs to take what the defense gives him and he can do that out of the pocket.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, doitny said:

but he is not a pocket passer. like @kevinc855 said if we wanted one we should have drafted him.

thats why i dont think you try to change Zach. let him be who he is and let him run out of the pocket. he just needs to take what the defense gives him and he can do that out of the pocket.

They got enamored with his Wow Plays, they forgot to …

AFD2C7CE-AA4B-4B03-BB7A-533456D0B7ED.gif

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

I think you have to do both. All QBs have to be able to throw from the pocket effectively, but you can also get him on the move and design plays that get him out of the pocket. A big key for Wilson will be improving the running game over the offseason 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Whats the obsession with his size.  Its meaningless when your over 6' 2" and a kid who should fill out.  Hes bigger than lots of other QBs

• Upvote 1

I'm sure to be roasted for this but in the NFL you have to make throws...period.  From the pocket, outside the pocket, etc.

Before Mahomes I don't remember anyone with his style of play.  Rogers is another guy that has a unique style.  Manning too.

Point is...let Zach be Zach (not quite sure what that is yet...but seems like a dynamic thrower from all over the field) and if he's a stud and a star then he'll do it with his own style.

To try and take a QB that likes to throw it from all over the place and stick him in the pocket is akin to taking a DE and making him into an OLB.  

My point - I'd prefer Zach play his game, we cater the offense to his skills....and we see what we got.  I'd also prefer he learn to take what the D gives a bit more...

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Are about a million times more interesting to watch.  Even though we've sucked the whole season has been and is all about his development.  

Let's hope he's gotten better from watching.  Would make for a really fun and interesting end of season if he shows up.

Interesting  and entertaining  are two different things. By this measure, watching Darnold was the same as watching Zach now.

• Haha 1

Accuracy,  and quick decision making is key to this offense. It's a short to intermediate passing game. All things that Wilson has struggled with. He needs to show improvement in those areas. If he he doesn't,  I have no problem going back to White. Judging White on his performance against the Bills is way harsh. Bills have a top flight defense, and they we're co.ing off an embarrassing loss to the Jaguars. The outcome was very predictable

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whats the obsession with his size.  Its meaningless when your over 6' 2" and a kid who should fill out.  Hes bigger than lots of other QBs

It matters if the expectation is that he’s going to excel in the same offense that White and Flacco played well in the past few weeks. I think we’re taking it for granted that Zach was able to watch those guys and he can just emulate that style of play, but he’s probably not built for that style of play.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think we need to differentiate between “size” and “height “ - there’s nothing wrong with Wilson’s height. Anyone complaining about the “limitations” of a 6’2” QB to play effectively from the pocket is just wrong, IMO 

I think his frame and durability remain an open question 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I'm sure to be roasted for this but in the NFL you have to make throws...period.  From the pocket, outside the pocket, etc.

Before Mahomes I don't remember anyone with his style of play.  Rogers is another guy that has a unique style.  Manning too.

Point is...let Zach be Zach (not quite sure what that is yet...but seems like a dynamic thrower from all over the field) and if he's a stud and a star then he'll do it with his own style.

To try and take a QB that likes to throw it from all over the place and stick him in the pocket is akin to taking a DE and making him into an OLB.  

My point - I'd prefer Zach play his game, we cater the offense to his skills....and we see what we got.  I'd also prefer he learn to take what the D gives a bit more...

Sorry, but this is so wrong. You work within what the offense is designed for. Just because Zach can effortlessly  throw the ball 60 yards in the air and throw well on the move doesn't  mean you design an entire O based on that. Even Jackson who is the best at running with the ball is throwing from the pocket  more and that O was designed  for his skill set. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

The outcome was very predictable

With hindsight? Sure. 

but the Mike White people were drinking a whole lot of Kool aid heading into that game. 

the bigger concern with Mike White is durability - I do not remember the last time I saw a QB get hurt in 3 consecutive starts. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It matters if the expectation is that he’s going to excel in the same offense that White and Flacco played well in the past few weeks. I think we’re taking it for granted that Zach was able to watch those guys and he can just emulate that style of play, but he’s probably not built for that style of play.

It doesnt matter for one second.  Hes bigger than Lamar, Murray, etc.  Hes almost 6-3.  He'll fill out.  

How can a QB not be able to take the short throw and not throw downfield?  Its the reverse that isnt guaranteed, this is.  

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think we need to differentiate between “size” and “height “ - there’s nothing wrong with Wilson’s height. Anyone complaining about the “limitations” of a 6’2” QB to play effectively from the pocket is just wrong, IMO 

I think his frame and durability remain an open question 

Hes young, hes a rookie, when he starts off seasons where he isnt required to spend every waking minute in the play book and can concentrate on his weight, he'll fill out.  Look how he added muscle to his body leading into his pro day.  Even if he didnt, hes still bigger than Lamar, is similar to Watsons size 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

With hindsight? Sure. 

but the Mike White people were drinking a whole lot of Kool aid heading into that game. 

the bigger concern with Mike White is durability - I do not remember the last time I saw a QB get hurt in 3 consecutive starts. 

I'm not sold on White. I'm not sold on Wilson neither tho. That's  the problem

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm not sold on White. I'm not sold on Wilson neither tho. That's  the problem

And it's why this team will be in perpetual 2-9 mode until a true QB who can play and lead is identified.   Maybe that happens two years from now when Zack goes the Darnold route and we sign a veteran.