Tankathon Week 11 Edition

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Except he didn't do it well.  At all!

His short passing accuracy is among the worst parts of his game right now.  While I have to believe it will improve, it's not exactly something we should be puffing our chests out about right now. 

No one is "puffing chests". Like I said "baby steps". 

It is an evolution from going from "forcing plays" to "giving what the defense gives you".

Now, of course he has to pay that off. Again, baby steps.

The kid completed passes at BYU. Both long and short. He just needs to find his water. Hopefully. 

27 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Given Neal's flexibility, would you draft him at guard and have something like MB, AVT, CMG, Neal, Fant? Then depending on what happens with Fant / MB, have Neal as someone who can move to those positions?

I absolutelly think that would be an option.  If Becton struggles to get/stay on the field, Fant and Neal could both play tackle.  If Becton is healthy, Neal could play G, and we would then be able to let him replace Fant when his contract is up after 22.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Depends on how many blue chips are on your board.  If there are 7 or 8 and you can move down from 4 to one of those spots then you consider it.

Look at the Eagles last year, moved from 6-12 and picked up another first rounder this year.

If you draft 4, and trade the 5 back to 10, 11, and pick up another 1st rounder the following season?  I do that in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Look at the Eagles last year, moved from 6-12 and picked up another first rounder this year.

If you draft 4, and trade the 5 back to 10, 11, and pick up another 1st rounder the following season?  I do that in a heartbeat.

No, enough with the trading down for more picks. If you have an opportunity to pick 2 top 5 blue chip talents you do it. This team needs game changers desperately. We still have 2 seconds, a third, 2 fourths, and 2 fifths. 

1 hour ago, xJayce said:

Just checked Tankathon, they have us going 4 D with our first 4 picks. I think 3 of the picks line up pretty close with other big boards I've seen, but I haven't seen anything about Brisker.

I would love to see more safety, LB help, and I think Edge paired with Lawson (hopefully he's healthy) and strong DL play could wreck other teams. I'm on the fence about Stingley though, heard the injury risk is very real.

507792260_ScreenShot2021-11-30at9_27_33AM.png.6ef4ca5d2778ce49d2dcf9b17bd686d9.png1218146061_ScreenShot2021-11-30at9_27_56AM.png.21000be4ef3ba9cb340371e3570eb5ca.png

I like this draft but i’d go Kaiir Elam instead Stingley. Elam, I think would be the best corner at the top of the draft for the Jets. Im surprised sites have him going around pick 15. So, we’ll see.

7 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

No, enough with the trading down for more picks. If you have an opportunity to pick 2 top 5 blue chip talents you do it. This team needs game changers desperately. We still have 2 seconds, a third, 2 fourths, and 2 fifths. 

Adding first round picks is how you add more blue chip talents, IMO.

It depends on the draft, but if history is any indication there's far from any guarantee that a pick in the top five will pan out better than a pick in the top 15 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It depends on the draft, but if history is any indication there's far from any guarantee that a pick in the top five will pan out better than a pick in the top 15 

Fair. 

The main reason I want to stay at the top of the draft (assuming we end up with a top 5-7 pick - still an open question) is that I desperately want an edge rusher and those guys go quickly. 

33 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Could not agree more.  Joe Douglas is going to own this draft like he did last year.  He could trade back with both 1sts and we could still end up having 2 firsts this year and then 3 firsts next year.

Again, Joe has a long term vision.  Its not just about how we can get better now, but its how can we get better now and keep getting better each year.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Could not agree more.  Joe Douglas is going to own this draft like he did last year.  He could trade back with both 1sts and we could still end up having 2 firsts this year and then 3 firsts next year.

Again, Joe has a long term vision.  Its not just about how we can get better now, but its how can we get better now and keep getting better each year.

I'd be thrilled with this approach.  Though, again, I'd love to trade down from a really high pick (e.g. top 3) so we could trade down for a haul and still get a great player (Linderbaum) this year.  I'd be fine with multiple trade downs with one of our picks too.  

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

The main reason I want to stay at the top of the draft (assuming we end up with a top 5-7 pick - still an open question) is that I desperately want an edge rusher and those guys go quickly. 

Sure, I mean, it depends how the board falls. If we're picking 3 and have a shot at Thibbedeoux or Hutchinson I think it makes sense to take them.

But if we're drafting four or five and they're both off the board and someone wants to trade up for Matt Corral? Pull the trigger.

The good news is that the Seahawks pick (and the fact that they suck too) gives us a lot of flexibility -- we can take an edge at the top of the draft and trade back.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

We need top end talent. Top OLine, CB and edge right there for the taking. Pick 2 of the 3. They still have 7 picks additional picks before the 6th round to work on other needs. 

15 minutes ago, Hex said:

I love your optimism

LOL!  As strange as this might sound to you I don't even mean to sound negative.  There are definitely some bright spots on this team and I'm still very optimistic about JD (plus we have a lot of draft capital)

I just really would like to see this franchise turn the corner and I don't think it happens without a FQB.  It's all about Zach.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I like this draft but i’d go Kaiir Elam instead Stingley. Elam, I think would be the best corner at the top of the draft for the Jets. Im surprised sites have him going around pick 15. So, we’ll see.

If you’re going to take someone over Stingley it should be Gardner.   

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Bingo!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

If you take 2 players at 4 and say 10 or11, those are still 2 premium players.

When you get that extra 1st rounder for next year, it can become a huge win.   Look at us with the Seattle pick, look at last years Dolphins with the Texan's pic, look at this year's Eagles.   The Eagles still got a great WR prospect at 10, plus an additional top 5ish pick in this years draft, just for moving back 6 spots.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. 

Say you draft edge at 4.

Trade down from 5 to 10, and possibly get the Iowa Center, Linderwhateverhisnameis.   Or get a premium linebacker, or a WR.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Imagine picking 4-5 in this draft tho

If Mangini and co were running the draft I'd be excited.  We'd get another Mangold, Brick, David Harris, Revis, etc. With JD... Well.  I'd wager both picks will be out of the league when their rookie contracts are up

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Say you draft edge at 4.

Trade down from 5 to 10, and possibly get the Iowa Center, Linderwhateverhisnameis.   Or get a premium linebacker, or a WR.

Or this scenario:

Our pick: Let's say it's 4th overall.  Trade down to 10.  Draft Linderbaum.

Seattle's pick: Let's say it's 8th overall.  Trade down to 15.  Trade down again to 23.  

I would think we could acquire a lot of assets that way.  And we'd still have 2 2nd rounders this year (separate from we could get in those trades).

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Or this scenario:

Our pick: Let's say it's 4th overall.  Trade down to 10.  Draft Linderbaum.

Seattle's pick: Let's say it's 8th overall.  Trade down to 15.  Trade down again to 23.  

I would think we could acquire a lot of assets that way.  And we'd still have 2 2nd rounders this year (separate from we could get in those trades).

We could collect a lot of assets that way but would they be blue chip players this team needs? Imagine a Neal and Hutchinson on this team and then you still have 7 more picks before the 6th round. People get too enamored with the number of picks. We already have a total of 9 this draft. Lets pick some real quality in the top 5. I'm assuming Seattle's pick will be about where it is today. 

4 hours ago, xJayce said:

Given Neal's flexibility, would you draft him at guard and have something like MB, AVT, CMG, Neal, Fant? Then depending on what happens with Fant / MB, have Neal as someone who can move to those positions?

Neal is a top 5 prospect overall in the draft, however for the Jets he shouldn't be amoungst the discussion for top 3 OL on our individual team board. In no particular order Ikem Ekwonu, Charles Cross and even Linderbaum should be rated higher then him on the Jets board. This is totally a 180 for those running a gap scheme.

4 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

We could collect a lot of assets that way but would they be blue chip players this team needs? Imagine a Neal and Hutchinson on this team and then you still have 7 more picks before the 6th round. People get too enamored with the number of picks. We already have a total of 9 this draft. Lets pick some real quality in the top 5. I'm assuming Seattle's pick will be about where it is today. 

Otoh, if we draft a bust, think of the opportunity cost.  Either way would be exciting though 

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

I do not really like that trade in general. In most drafts you have 8-12 elite prospects, so you are giving up the ability to get one of the elite guys for essentially a 2nd rounder (1st next year valued one round lower) Unless I was not keen on any of the players at 6 I would need more to trade down than just a future 1