Would Joe Douglas have the guts to do what the AZ Cardinals did with Josh Rosen?

jetstream23

13 minutes ago, genot said:

Play White. He's better than Wilson. So is Flacco. White is 14 years younger. We haven't seen White enough to know if he's incapable of stretching the field. At Western Kentucky that was one of his strengths.  I know. It's college.  And it's Western Kentucky. What do we have to lose. Wilson is a classic flash in the pan. A damn shame.

Mike White sucks

If we're going to play terrible 22 year olds, play the one that has the physical talent for the position

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, genot said:

Play White. He's better than Wilson. So is Flacco. White is 14 years younger. We haven't seen White enough to know if he's incapable of stretching the field. At Western Kentucky that was one of his strengths.  I know. It's college.  And it's Western Kentucky. What do we have to lose. Wilson is a classic flash in the pan. A damn shame.

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Becton and Wilson were the correct picks at the time, and it's yet to be seen if they were the right picks in the future. It's silly to call Becton and Wilson whiffs at this point. 

I don’t think you can say that.  A good GM is supposed to be better than a magazine or TV pundit.

• Upvote 1

Many knew this was going to be a painful year to watch. Most (myself included) suggested we would only win 3-4 games. We are there. Then, when a rookie QB on a weak team with a poor OL comes off a 4 week break from being hurt and plays poorly (especially in first half) people are calling for both his head and the HC and GM. 

Zack may likely be a bust, but you don't throw away a #2 pick who is working hard and trying to progress after 7 weeks because the arm chair GM fans are frustrated at the fact that this really young team with serious holes is playing at the level most people expected in the beginning of the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Vote for dumbest Hot Take right here.  Why do the people who have the least understanding of what is happening feel the need to create the most posts?  And the dumbest?  Okay, I'll stop raining on your dumbass parade.  Later losers.,\

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think you can say that.  A good GM is supposed to be better than a magazine or TV pundit.

I can say that. Both picks were mostly praised at the time. I'll stick to what I said. They were the correct picks at the time, and it remains to be seen if they were the right picks in the future.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

Vote for dumbest Hot Take right here.  Why do the people who have the least understanding of what is happening feel the need to create the most posts?  And the dumbest?  Okay, I'll stop raining on your dumbass parade.  Later losers.,\

How is this a dumb hot take?  It’s a question that can be asked and doesn’t need to be answered until the off-season.   Zach’s performance has been at best mediocre but mostly terrible.  

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The only thing worse than making a bad decision is not admitting it and not working to correct it.

The Cardinals made an incredibly difficult decision after just one year of having a top 10 drafted QB in Josh Rosen. It is turning out to be a career defining moment for GM Steve Keim.  Approaching your owner one year after you traded up to draft a QB and telling him you miscalculated and want to replace him is not an easy thing. It was the right thing though. The Cardinals with Kyler Murray are now at the top of the NFL.

Would JD have the balls to say to the Johnsons, “We may have got this wrong. While we are seeing several of the positives and strengths that we scouted in Wilson, the things that could not be evaluated until he got to the NFL are not looking great. He is struggling with the speed of the game, decision making, etc. at this level. In my experience, these things are difficult to correct. They could certainly improve, but they will always put a ceiling on what he can be. I’m not saying that we need to reach for another QB at the top of this upcoming draft but if there’s a guy there worthy of the pick we shouldn’t hesitate to take him.  We would be wise to look for competition and should always be looking to improve every position on the roster. That’s my job as the GM. Maybe that competition is already on this roster, but we should also look at free agency and the trade market.”

By the way, I don’t see any chance in hell that JD approaches the Johnsons with a conversation like the above even if he himself has significant doubts about Wilson.

Wait …. We have the 1st overall pick and a legit highly projected QB is there? 
then yea.  But we not and the QBs this year are kind of meh, right????

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You mean if there was a guy like Trevor Lawrence? You know, the guy that is also struggling?

Right we should just stick with Zackenberg.  

My point was we aren’t picking 1st overall on a team that’s really only missing a qb.  While the qb seems to be our largest problem we won’t be in a position to take a top qb and the qb clad this year isn’t anything special 

plenty of us said we didn’t think Lawrence was going to be amazing from D1 - shocked he’s not. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

White is not good.

Zach will develop. He's going to be the guy.

This is not a good draft for QBs.

What about Zackenberg gives you that feeling. The guy is trashing the most simple of passes that career back-ups make when he’s not in the lineup and we have 400+ yd offensive performances. 

I hope that he can get his head out of his a$$ and prove to be the qb but the stuff he’s missing are things that no nfl qb should struggle with

• Upvote 2

The only thing worse than making a bad decision is not admitting it and not working to correct it.

The Cardinals made an incredibly difficult decision after just one year of having a top 10 drafted QB in Josh Rosen. It is turning out to be a career defining moment for GM Steve Keim.  Approaching your owner one year after you traded up to draft a QB and telling him you miscalculated and want to replace him is not an easy thing. It was the right thing though. The Cardinals with Kyler Murray are now at the top of the NFL.

Would JD have the balls to say to the Johnsons, “We may have got this wrong. While we are seeing several of the positives and strengths that we scouted in Wilson, the things that could not be evaluated until he got to the NFL are not looking great. He is struggling with the speed of the game, decision making, etc. at this level. In my experience, these things are difficult to correct. They could certainly improve, but they will always put a ceiling on what he can be. I’m not saying that we need to reach for another QB at the top of this upcoming draft but if there’s a guy there worthy of the pick we shouldn’t hesitate to take him.  We would be wise to look for competition and should always be looking to improve every position on the roster. That’s my job as the GM. Maybe that competition is already on this roster, but we should also look at free agency and the trade market.”

By the way, I don’t see any chance in hell that JD approaches the Johnsons with a conversation like the above even if he himself has significant doubts about Wilson.

No, JD will not cut/trade Wilson after one season.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

Right we should just stick with Zackenberg.  

My point was we aren’t picking 1st overall on a team that’s really only missing a qb.  While the qb seems to be our largest problem we won’t be in a position to take a top qb and the qb clad this year isn’t anything special 

plenty of us said we didn’t think Lawrence was going to be amazing from D1 - shocked he’s not. Lol. 

Fields, Lance and Lawrence have all struggled when they've played.  Some QBs Actually take time to develop .

• Upvote 1

Os another Kyler Murray  availavle?

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

White is not good.

Zach will develop. He's going to be the guy.

This is not a good draft for QBs.

Zach might develop, but WHO is going to help him develop? Kid is lost out there. 

And to top it off he said his knee wasnt even 100% today. WHY THE F IS HE PLAYING THEN!!?? 

WTF is this team doing to this kid?!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

Wait …. We have the 1st overall pick and a legit highly projected QB is there? 
then yea.  But we not and the QBs this year are kind of meh, right????

QB class isn't great this year and even if the Jets did want one he'd be out of reach with the Lions (and Texans) both likely drafting before the Jets.  With that said, does that mean Douglas should stand pat with Wilson?  Or, should he look to upgrade the spot, add competition, etc.?  The Jets would lose valuable years trying to develop someone who may not be developable.  Let's not be afraid to add competition thru FA or to seize an opportunity if it presents itself.  Get ready for a possible Spring full of DeShaun Watson, Garrapolo, and Aaron Rodgers talk.

I don't think the QB class is conducive to that kind of a conversation, to be honest. Not where the Jets are drafting.

That said, nothing wrong with taking a shot on a guy in the middle rounds you like. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle, it happens sometimes (Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Russell Wilson). Even to have something to watch in the case of an injury - which we've seen happen with young QB's the last few years. I think important to keep building an offense guys can come in and be successful on, too.

• Upvote 1

This is a reactive post with very little merit. First off, the Jets aren't picking number 1 this year and second there is no Kyler Murray in the draft. They won the game today running the ball against a team that is awful against the run - so they ran a lot because they know Zach isn't 100%.  Zach was rusty no doubt about it. He still made some big throws on third down. He needs some reps to settle in. The guy is uber talented - let's call a game to suit him better. Like Bart said, why is Zach often with his back to the D? White and Flacco weren't asked to do that. Also, he needs to take some more shots down the field. Check downs aren't always there. He will settle down and put wins together. They won a game on the road and people are b*tching. When Tom Brady played his first year he wasn't asked to throw down field at all. Manning was asked to and he had 28 picks. The kid will get a minimum of 3 years. JD and Saleh are tied to him. The only thing that can change the narrative is if he has another injury. Check the stat lines around the league today for established QBs - it was pretty ugly for many of them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

How many more chances does Douglas get to blow first round picks? Let’s see if Wilson can settle down, but with Becton in witness protection and Wilson having the yips..

Depends how you define "blow"

Becton - worthy of #11 pick, has talent to be the best OT in the league, got hurt after being rolled up on from behind.

Wilson - 6 games into NFL career, small school, looks like he has talent but can't make the easy reads/throws

AVT - looks as advertised

Moore - yea, 2 picks into the 2nd round but looks as advertised.

Wilson is really the only glaring one but I'm not sure any of us were on the Mac Jones at #2 train if anything people wanted Fields who looks horrible.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends how you define "blow"

Becton - worthy of #11 pick, has talent to be the best OT in the league, got hurt after being rolled up on from behind.

Wilson - 6 games into NFL career, small school, looks like he has talent but can't make the easy reads/throws

AVT - looks as advertised

Moore - yea, 2 picks into the 2nd round but looks as advertised.

Wilson is really the only glaring one but I'm not sure any of us were on the Mac Jones at #2 train if anything people wanted Fields who looks horrible.

That's your blurb for Becton? That's all?

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Everyone says today that the QB draft class is not good.

I have a feeling that when we get to draft in April 2022, people are going to speaking more highly about the QBs.

Last year at this time Zach Wilson was not even a first round pick, nevertheless the 2 pick. 

Zach Wilson was talked about going in the 1st round easily halfway through his season. As for going number 2, that's a different story. You just weren't listening. 

• Upvote 2

If you study college football, there is no 1st round talent in the upcoming draft. Build the team see if Zach develops and if he doesn’t in the next 2 years you draft one. Build the car then get the driver. Mike White can hold the fort if Zach is not improving, this system just needs a competent passer.