If you are afraid to let your QB throw.

Jet_Engine1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He went from "worst QB play I've ever seen" to "Well he didn't f**k up so that's nice" in the 2nd half.  If that's progress I guess people can get excited about it if they want?  

I didn't say he was Montana or even good today. I said he was better after we established the run, which was what was suggested should happen. 

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

I didn't say he was Montana or even good today. I said he was better after we established the run, which was what was suggested should happen. 

Better, yes.  Good enough to beat any of the other 30 NFL teams, certainly not.  Even if you isolate ONLY his 2nd half performance, he was still bad.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Two thinks are certain. He will get his chance through the end of the year. And if he fails — excuses will be plentiful.

Maybe. At same time, Douglas playing it right can earn himself more time with the Johnsons (because they are the Johnsons), if he trades Wilson for picks or a solid veteran - say what you will about him, the guy has no problem kicking the can and fighting another day. 

Maybe. At same time, Douglas playing it right can earn himself more time with the Johnsons (because they are the Johnsons), if he trades Wilson for picks or a solid veteran - say what you will about him, the guy has no problem kicking the can and fighting another day. 

I’d be stunned and impressed if JD cuts cord on Wilson this off season but I’d bet he does a half measure like bring in a vet like Trubisky or Minshew but doesn’t burn another early pick. You know, what I screamed he should’ve done this year.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I’d be stunned and impressed if JD cuts cord on Wilson this off season but I’d bet he does a half measure like being in a vet like Trubisky or Minshew but doesn’t burn another early pick. You know, what I screamed he should’ve done this year.

I get the sense he's not a sentimental dude. How solid the judgement is I'd say it's debatable but he tends to do whatever is necessary to keep rebuilding and deferring responsibility...

I get the sense he's not a sentimental dude. How solid the judgement is I'd say it's debatable but he tends to do whatever is necessary to keep rebuilding and deferring responsibility...

Well he didn’t bring in cheap competition for Wilson this off season so I’m willing to bet he’s emotionally/personally invested in him to a point that clouds his objective judgment.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd be curious to see how the locker room celebrated today's win and juxtapose it with how they celebrated the Bengal win.  

I heard that the #1 search term in the locker room after the game was “what percentage of a PCL has to be torn before it is considered season-ending”

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well he didn’t bring in cheap competition for Wilson this off season so I’m willing to bet he’s emotionally/personally invested in him to a point that clouds his objective judgment.

Fair. He could probably spin that to the Johnsons as doing everything to make the kid a success/or atleast giving the kid a chance to show either way and having sufficient sample to make a call, but your probably right. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Fair. He could probably spin that to the Johnsons as doing everything to make the kid a success/or atleast giving the kid a chance to show either way and having sufficient sample to make a call, but your probably right. 

“All eggs in one basket” is an idiotic strategy when JD could’ve had Minshew in training camp for the same 6th he got Flacco with. Lunacy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Supposedly he did “earn it” in training camp.

The exact same throws you see him missing, many times wildly, he hit in training camp, easily.

That’s why Chris Simms thinks everything bad you’re seeing now is easily correctable.

He “earned it” over Mike White and James Morgan.  They went into TC with zero NFL starts in the QB room.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So, the answer to a failing young QB is to bring in a guy who already failed?

That isn't the answer for a young QB.  That's the answer as an alternative so we at least know someone decent will be under center if/when the young guy fails.

And if any of our young QB's "failed" like Trubisky, we'd be calling for him to get a contract extension.

• Sympathy 1

That isn't the answer for a young QB.  That's the answer as an alternative so we at least know someone decent will be under center if/when the young guy fails.

And if any of our young QB's "failed" like Trubisky, we'd be calling for him to get a contract extension.

I live in the midwest and Bears fans absolutely despise Trubisky. 

Hard for me to get excited about bringing him in. They say the same stuff we were telling Panthers fans about Darnold. 

Plenty wanted to trade down and build around Darnold with much worse performance than Trubisky. And many others hailed Carolina as playing 5D chess by picking up Darnold’s 5th year option.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I live in the midwest and Bears fans absolutely despise Trubisky. 

Hard for me to get excited about bringing him in. They say the same stuff we were telling Panthers fans about Darnold. 

No one is saying Trubisky is the savior but it’s about being realistic about who is gettable and for what.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Fine, but if we are brining someone in to compete with Wilson, make it Minshew who impressed a little bit against the Jets

Oh Minshew is the other dude I have been screaming relentlessly as a QB2 for months so fine with me.

• Upvote 2

Fine, but if we are brining someone in to compete with Wilson, make it Minshew who impressed a little bit against the Jets

PS: Trubisky would tell us to **** off. He’s a FA. Minshew we could trade for. He wouldn’t have a choice and is thus more realistic.

Just now, jgb said:

PS: Trubisky would tell us to **** off. He’s a FA. Minshew we could trade for. He wouldn’t have a choice and is thus more realistic.

Not to bag on Trubisky too much, but is he really going to have a lot of options? I wouldn't think he'd be in the best position to tell NFL teams to f*ck off. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh Minshew is the other dude I have been screaming relentlessly as a QB2 for months so fine with me.

I've seen you hype up Minshew and I'm with you. I like what I've seen from him. He's not super talented but he's a competitor and definitely has the toughness to play the position. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Not to bag on Trubisky too much, but is he really going to have a lot of options? I wouldn't think he'd be in the best position to tell NFL teams to f*ck off. 

I believe he will be paid handsomely to go to a contending team next year. Perhaps Steelers if Big Ben hangs them up. Could also see him as Giants starter depending on where they draft.

I've seen you hype up Minshew and I'm with you. I like what I've seen from him. He's not super talented but he's a competitor and definitely has the toughness to play the position. 

JD sh*t the bed on QB this off season. Not talking about Zach — you take your shots — but everything else, horrible. F-

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I couldn’t take seeing a Trubisky or Minshaw.  I couldn’t take watching a washed up Boomer Esiason.

Total waste of time.

Then just draft another one.

Pssst… I wanted those guys as a QB2 last off season. But after seeing Zach bomb, I’d take them as starter. Agree JD should be canned and his successor try again but don’t see Woody pulling that trigger so I’ll take any improvement I can realistically get.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mitch Trubisky through 7 games of his NFL career.

52% completion rate.  1135 passing yards.  4TDs.  4 Ints. 70 QBs rating.

I can’t keep up anymore with what makes a QB worth letting progress or a QB that should be tossed away and set aside.  I assume that Trevor Lawrence and Fields both belong on the trash heap as well.  They are struggling nearly as bad as Wilson.  Surely Mitch Trubisky doesn’t warrant consideration after that abysmal start to his career.

• Upvote 1