Jump to content

If you are afraid to let your QB throw.


Jet_Engine1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  As a fan I like wins..

Especially with a young team like this - part of the evolution of a young team is learning how to win - it's a phase they have to go through.  Nice step for the offense, defense and our young QB's 6th NFL game.

I'm not down on the team. A W is a W but there is zero progress from Zach from before the injury. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You are unbelievable.  That pass was straight into Johnsons back. It should never have been thrown and had Griffen caught that low pass it would have been a highlight catch.

that griffin TD is made on near every game basis. It was an easy sliding catch. We've already discussed the johnson play and its obvious that johnson was looking at wilson when he threw it, 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My problem wasn't so much with Wilson's MEH game,  it was the bothched clock management again  with 5mins. left in the game.

That's two weeks in a row they blew back to back time out when what they should do is obious.  They had an 8 min review, on a call they were 90% sure was going to be overturned , then looked confused.

They got to get that down better.  Is Dick Curl still alive? :) 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not down on the team. A W is a W but there is zero progress from Zach from before the injury. 

Here's where I disagree with that.

To me, he looks more comfortable in the pocket and made smarter decisions with the ball...Outside of the shuffle pass - I didn't see any stupid throws and more balls he threw away - rather than force it.

He's still missing those short throws, many of them badly, and really needs to fix that....If he can fix that he's going to be very good.  I don't know if he can, but I have a hard time believing he can't throw the ball 5-7 yards accurately.  Probably in his head and he needs to work through it.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I've been hopeful with Wilson and want him to be the best

However I don't know how you watch that game, and come away unterrified. He had over a month to improve, and learn and came out looking as bad as he did before he left. 

If you improve by “watching” I will be the best QB in history if I suit up. You improve and learn by playing.  There is no reason to sit Wilson if he is healthy.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not down on the team. A W is a W but there is zero progress from Zach from before the injury. 

Baby steps. Definitely progress, maybe not the quantum leap folks were hoping for but after not playing for 4 weeks, not sure we could have expected much more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not down on the team. A W is a W but there is zero progress from Zach from before the injury. 

Well we still have the rest of the season to see progress.  Definitely looked Rusty today which makes sense after missing a good amount of time but looked better in the second half 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Here's where I disagree with that.

To me, he looks more comfortable in the pocket and made smarter decisions with the ball...Outside of the shuffle pass - I didn't see any stupid throws and more balls he threw away - rather than force it.

He's still missing those short throws, many of them badly, and really needs to fix that....If he can fix that he's going to be very good.  I don't know if he can, but I have a hard time believing he can't throw the ball 5-7 yards accurately.  Probably in his head and he needs to work through it.

I saw him revert to holding the ball way too long late in the game, not taking check downs, making inaccurate  passes that at times where he was bailed out by the receiver like the pass to Cole, did not make the play at times like the low pass to Griffen in the endzone,  and he is supposed to be good at passing when on the run, and still as you said, is bad at short passes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

This is a pretty fair post.  Obviously wasn’t  a good day for him but in the second half he looked more relaxed.  Definitely shaking rust off while still learning on the job.  

This is the same "rust" he has had all season. The same missed, low and off target passes he cannot seem to improve on. It's not rust unless there is some proof that he "normally" plays better prior to time off.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jetspenguin said:

This is the same "rust" he has had all season. The same missed, low and off target passes he cannot seem to improve on. It's not rust unless there is some proof that he "normally" plays better prior to time off.

The point is that we have to give the kid time.  6-7 games is not enough time to make a decision on him.  Although you make some fair points I do think he showed some toughness and has upside with more experience he gains 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I saw him revert to holding the ball way too long late in the game, not taking check downs, making inaccurate  passes that at times where he was bailed out by the receiver like the pass to Cole, did not make the play at times like the low pass to Griffen in the endzone,  and he is supposed to be good at passing when on the run, and still as you said, is bad at short passes. 

That Griffen ball, every NFL TE/WR needs to make.  It was a good pass under the circumstances.  Griffen stinks and drops anything that isn't perfectly thrown to him.

I agree Zach hasn't been perfect and also agree he probably lost confidence in his short ball accuracy and stopped going to it.    He absolutely needs to clean that up...

I was just talking about progress and do see a lot of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

That Griffen ball, every NFL TE/WR needs to make.  It was a good pass under the circumstances.  Griffen stinks and drops anything that isn't perfectly thrown to him.

I agree he Zach hasn't been perfect and also agree he probably lost confidence in his short ball accuracy and stopped going to it.    He absolutely needs to clean that up...

I was just talking about progress and do see a lot of it. 

I agree that TE and WR need to be able to make low catches but that is when that is the only way to get the ball to the receiver.  Griffen was wide open for like 15 yards. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

The point is that we have to give the kid time.  6-7 games is not enough time to make a decision on him.  Although you make some fair points I do think he showed some toughness and has upside with more experience he gains 

I hope you are right. if we have solved the QB question then we can focus our resources on building it up around him. If we are wrong then we are screwed again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I hope you are right. if we have solved the QB question then we can focus our resources on building it up around him. If we are wrong then we are screwed again. 

Either way I think we can both agree it’s too early to make a determination one way or the other on Wilson 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let’s call it as it as. Wilson has been
horrible. This is Geno Smith level ineptitude. Let’s not waste 3 more years on this bum. We have some decent young players in Moore, carter, Franklin Myers so forth. I’d look to move on next season either by the draft, free agency or trade.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t tell anymore what is honest opinion on Wilson or people trying to stir the pot positive or negative.

That said, I do think there is a disconnect between what Wilson actually is comfortable doing and what the coaching staff thinks what is best for a Young QB.  The coaching staff wants to “get him going” with short timing routes and swings etc and he’s not polished in those situations yet.  He does look comfortable to me when he can hitch up and rip 15+ yards down field.  I’d like to see more designed shots downfield early, like the PA to Moore early in the 2nd half.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's still missing those short throws, many of them badly, and really needs to fix that....If he can fix that he's going to be very good.  I don't know if he can, but I have a hard time believing he can't throw the ball 5-7 yards accurately.  Probably in his head and he needs to work through it.

It’s almost scary how inaccurate he is on those short throws. IIRC, Darnold had the same issues. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That Griffen ball, every NFL TE/WR needs to make.  It was a good pass under the circumstances.  Griffen stinks and drops anything that isn't perfectly thrown to him.

I agree Zach hasn't been perfect and also agree he probably lost confidence in his short ball accuracy and stopped going to it.    He absolutely needs to clean that up...

I was just talking about progress and do see a lot of it. 

In my opinion, a lot of his short ball issues are he’s so jittery he can’t slow things down and is throwing his fastball every throw.  He’s sped up mentally and it results in him trying to get everything to its target as fast as he can get it there.  It’s like a pitcher who is all amped up and throws a breaking ball with a little extra juice, thinking it will make it better, when it really makes it worse.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion, a lot of his short ball issues are he’s so jittery he can’t slow things down and is throwing his fastball every throw.  He’s sped up mentally and it results in him trying to get everything to its target as fast as he can get it there.  It’s like a pitcher who is all amped up and throws a breaking ball with a little extra juice, thinking it will make it better, when it really makes it worse.

This was a flag on him coming out. Ball placement was an issue- even most of his completions make the receiver work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion, a lot of his short ball issues are he’s so jittery he can’t slow things down and is throwing his fastball every throw.  He’s sped up mentally and it results in him trying to get everything to its target as fast as he can get it there.  It’s like a pitcher who is all amped up and throws a breaking ball with a little extra juice, thinking it will make it better, when it really makes it worse.

I said the same thing earlier in the season. When the game slows down and his mind slows down, he’ll hit those layups. 

Wasn’t expecting the game to slow down for him today after not having played for the last 4 weeks. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, flgreen said:

My problem wasn't so much with Wilson's MEH game,  it was the bothched clock management again  with 5mins. left in the game.

That's two weeks in a row they blew back to back time out when what they should do is obious.  They had an 8 min review, on a call they were 90% sure was going to be overturned , then looked confused.

They got to get that down better.  Is Dick Curl still alive? :) 

You and I have a different definition of "meh".  Meh is way too good to describe Zach's play today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, those last two drives they totally leaned on Wilson

 WTF is wrong with you. He was horrible today. Save his one TD he did almost nothing. 145 yards, 1 pick 12 of 24, and no TD passes. 

He was 14-24 not 12-24.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...