Game Observations (HOU)

KRL

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Draft Thought

- I LOVED the performance of Aidan Hutchinson (3 sacks) yesterday against Ohio St.
As prolific as Ohio St. offense was the only was Michigan was going to win was
disrupting the QB.  And Hutchinson stepped up to the challenge, I would love to 
see him on the opposite side of Carl Lawson next year.

Been talking about this with my son a lot lately. Seems like a very real possibility. How do you see the front seven lining up if it happens (assuming CJ and Quincy Williams are starting).

5 hours ago, KRL said:

In this decade of barren football as a Jet fan, its always nice to get a win.  So
I don't care if it came at the expense of 2-9 HOU team, a win is a win.  After
trailing 14-3 the Jets outscored HOU 18-0 to gain their third win of the season
21-14.  I was hoping for 4 wins over the last 8 games of the season, this is the
first one.  Let's take a look:

Special Teams

- I love Matt Ammendola's leg strength but he's too unreliable on kicks inside of
45 yards.  And I think the coaching staff feels the same way, because they pulled
him off the field late in the fourth quarter and went for it instead of attempting
a FG.  He'll be fortunate to be on the team for the rest of the season.

Defense

- It didn't start off very promising as they gave up two first half TD's.  But they
bounced back and shutout HOU over the final 35 minutes of the game.  Thankfully
Tyrod Taylor likes to hold the ball which allowed the DLine to generate 5 sacks.

- Nice to see John Franklin-Myers emerge for the first time since signing his
contract.  Excellent game as he had 3 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 TFL, Pass Defensed, 2
QB Hits and an INT.

- Quinnen Williams teamed up with Franklin-Myers to dominate HOU OLine.  Williams
almost matched Franklin-Myers stats as he generated 4 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB
Hit.  

- Another productive game by Quincy Williams as he generated 7 Tackles, Sack, TFL
and a QB Hit.  He still shows some rawness in his game but I love his speed and
violent tackling.  With further refinement he should be a very nice piece going
into the future.

- Bryce Hall started off shaky as he gave up a 40 yard TD.  But Hall bounced back
and displayed the excellent skills he's shown most of the season after that as
he had 3 Tackles, TFL, and a Pass Defensed.

- Solid coverage game by Javelin Guidry as he's been elevated to an outside CB
since Brandin Echols went down with an injury.

Offense

- Best run performance of the year by the OLine as they produced 157 yards on 34
rushes.  And I don't think its a coincidence that this has happened with Greg Van-
Roten being replaced by Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff.  Duvernay-Tardiff has been an
upgrade as he's been able to get to the second level in the run game and anchor
the interior pocket better than Van-Roten.

- With excellent run blocking up front all three RB's were able to be productive:
  * Tevin Coleman with 16 Rushes for 67 Yards
  * Ty Johnson with 6 Rushes for 42 Yards
  * Austin Walter with 9 Rushes for 38 Yards and a TD
The fact that Walter was active is such an indictment on LaMical Perine.  Walter
was on the practice squad but Perine couldn't beat him out to be on the active 
roster.

QB

- Zach Wilson was able to lead the team to a win but he wasn't impressive in any
sense.  He was 14/24 for 145 yards with a rushing TD and an awful INT.  Over the
past 4 games we've seen Mike White, Josh Johnson and Joe Flacco run the offense
efficiently.  Unfortunately we didn't see that same efficiency with Wilson running
the show.  Wilson's timing, accuracy and velocity on throws to his receivers was
off, this has to improve.  The best part of Wilson's performance was after the
game as he acknowledged his poor game and wasn't "giddy" with the win.  I hope
this was a "rust game" and he'll be better next week because I wasn't happy. 

Draft Thought

- I LOVED the performance of Aidan Hutchinson (3 sacks) yesterday against Ohio St.

This was always going to be Perine's fate under this regime IMO.  No running back on the roster had a worse profile for this system than Perine and I think I even may have said during the off-season that he may get cut.  I just don't think Joe D. wants to dump a guy who he just drafted and might be a solid contributor elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wit said:

Is this Walter kid good or is it the Shanahan system working. 

I think we are seeing the run system. It is not the same as shannahan here in NY but pretty similar and guy that have that same skill set will do well. This dude looked like a stud because he got some blocks and it made we open all day. If Zach can up his game through out this season things will be good

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Been talking about this with my son a lot lately. Seems like a very real possibility. How do you see the front seven lining up if it happens (assuming CJ and Quincy Williams are starting).

The front 7 could have some interesting combos next year if Hutchinson
is drafted.  If I'm correct Rankins is signed for 2022 but Fatukasi is
a free agent.  If Douglas let's Fatukasi walk I could see something like:

DLine

Lawson, Williams, Rankins, Franklin-Myers

Hutchinson, Marshall, Shepherd, Huff

LB

Williams, Mosley, Sherwood

Nasirildeen, Draft Pick, Draft Pick

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

This was always going to be Perine's fate under this regime IMO.  No running back on the roster had a worse profile for this system than Perine and I think I even may have said during the off-season that he may get cut.  I just don't think Joe D. wants to dump a guy who he just drafted and might be a solid contributor elsewhere.

This was Perine's fate regardless of where or when he got drafted.

He brings nothing to the table. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, KRL said:

In this decade of barren football as a Jet fan, its always nice to get a win.  So
I don't care if it came at the expense of 2-9 HOU team, a win is a win.  After
trailing 14-3 the Jets outscored HOU 18-0 to gain their third win of the season
21-14.  I was hoping for 4 wins over the last 8 games of the season, this is the
first one.  Let's take a look:

Special Teams

- I love Matt Ammendola's leg strength but he's too unreliable on kicks inside of
45 yards.  And I think the coaching staff feels the same way, because they pulled
him off the field late in the fourth quarter and went for it instead of attempting

Defense

- It didn't start off very promising as they gave up two first half TD's.  But they
bounced back and shutout HOU over the final 35 minutes of the game.  Thankfully
Tyrod Taylor likes to hold the ball which allowed the DLine to generate 5 sacks.

- Nice to see John Franklin-Myers emerge for the first time since signing his
contract.  Excellent game as he had 3 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 TFL, Pass Defensed, 2
QB Hits and an INT.

- Quinnen Williams teamed up with Franklin-Myers to dominate HOU OLine.  Williams
almost matched Franklin-Myers stats as he generated 4 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB
Hit.  

- Another productive game by Quincy Williams as he generated 7 Tackles, Sack, TFL
and a QB Hit.  He still shows some rawness in his game but I love his speed and
violent tackling.  With further refinement he should be a very nice piece going
into the future.

- Bryce Hall started off shaky as he gave up a 40 yard TD.  But Hall bounced back
and displayed the excellent skills he's shown most of the season after that as
he had 3 Tackles, TFL, and a Pass Defensed.

- Solid coverage game by Javelin Guidry as he's been elevated to an outside CB
since Brandin Echols went down with an injury.

Offense

- Best run performance of the year by the OLine as they produced 157 yards on 34
rushes.  And I don't think its a coincidence that this has happened with Greg Van-

- With excellent run blocking up front all three RB's were able to be productive:
  * Tevin Coleman with 16 Rushes for 67 Yards
  * Ty Johnson with 6 Rushes for 42 Yards
  * Austin Walter with 9 Rushes for 38 Yards and a TD
The fact that Walter was active is such an indictment on LaMical Perine.  Walter
was on the practice squad but Perine couldn't beat him out to be on the active 
roster.

QB

- Zach Wilson was able to lead the team to a win but he wasn't impressive in any
sense.  He was 14/24 for 145 yards with a rushing TD and an awful INT.  Over the
past 4 games we've seen Mike White, Josh Johnson and Joe Flacco run the offense
efficiently.  Unfortunately we didn't see that same efficiency with Wilson running
the show.  Wilson's timing, accuracy and velocity on throws to his receivers was
off, this has to improve.  The best part of Wilson's performance was after the
game as he acknowledged his poor game and wasn't "giddy" with the win.  I hope
this was a "rust game" and he'll be better next week because I wasn't happy. 

Draft Thought

Great post as ever KRL, hoping we can add Hutchinson with our top pick in April, we still desperately lack a dominant pass rusher or two and need to make sure we address that finally this year…it’s been 20 years of mediocrity and allowing opposing qb’s all day back there. Yesterday’s aberration doesn’t leave me any more convinced that Myers isn’t any more than a serviceable rotational guy

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

This was Perine's fate regardless of where or when he got drafted.

He brings nothing to the table. 

Time will tell.  Looked much better to me this pre-season that he did at any point last year.  

Doesn't really matter atp though.  Won't be a Jet beyond this season.

This time of the year nearly every player is playing with pain. I would think Saleh makes decisions based on the medical staffs recommendations so unless they told Saleh that Zach can’t play this is typical Conor Hughes clickbait.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes he is but I’d still rather have a sucky Darnold and Jamar Chase and worry about replacing Darnold after year 4 instead of replacing Darnold I mean Wilson (as they are the same QB as I stated about 8 months ago) after 1 year.

And after given up on another season, we then go into next years offseason and draft Darnolds replacement and suffered with that kids development as we, the Jags, the Bears and the 49rs are with their savior draft picks from this past draft.  

Fans cant wait for QBs to develop, they harp on the normal developmental issues, claim they have patience and then do everything to prove that the dont have any at all, want instant gratification and nothing else will do

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is who we're going to need to beat if we're going to get where we want to go.  

ALL WORLD defensive game planner with a brilliant Offensive Coordinator in McDaniels. Both have had their systems in place for a long time. “Plug and Play “ personnel that fit the system vs. drafting for a new offensive and defensive system every 3 years. IE Zone Blocking scheme vs. Man to Man and 3-4 vs. 4-3. Not to mention RPO vs. Pocket QB. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

This time of the year nearly every player is playing with pain. I would think Saleh makes decisions based on the medical staffs recommendations so unless they told Saleh that Zach can’t play this is typical Conor Hughes clickbait.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We know the Jets’ medical staff is not the greatest. 

I don’t see the purpose of rushing ZW out there to play hurt.  He obviously needs more time on his skills and working through the mental part.  I would rather see him sit until he is fully healthy.  

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

We know the Jets’ medical staff is not the greatest. 

I don’t see the purpose of rushing ZW out there to play hurt.  He obviously needs more time on his skills and working through the mental part.  I would rather see him sit until he is fully healthy.  

Didn’t Saleh say that he wouldn’t put Zach back out there unless he was 100%?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And after given up on another season, we then go into next years offseason and draft Darnolds replacement and suffered with that kids development as we, the Jags, the Bears and the 49rs are with their savior draft picks from this past draft.  

Fans cant wait for QBs to develop, they harp on the normal developmental issues, claim they have patience and then do everything to prove that the dont have any at all, want instant gratification and nothing else will do

Well to finish my plan I’d use my draft capital to acquire Watson once his legal jargon is settled and it will be and nobody will care in 2 years just like nobody gives a sh*t anymore that Joe Mixon knocked out a woman.

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought Quinnen had a nice enough game, but it seemed like those guys called his name when other guys were making plays.  I know on one of the late runs Fatukasi blew up the line and made the play and they called Quinnen's name through 3 or 4 replays.

The “ Prez Mal” treatment. 

20 hours ago, KRL said:

Special Teams

No offense, but he should have been gone two Sundays ago. Or give him a chance as a punter....maybe? but he should be done as a kicker, 

20 hours ago, KRL said:

Defense

- Another productive game by Quincy Williams ....

Please keep Quincy on the field as much as possible. On a game with a different opponent Bryce Hall would have been called a PI in the last pass attempt at the end of the game, but I guess it is only fair we get some calls tip our way once in a while. Most importantly, what is the status of MCII?

8 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Great post as ever KRL, hoping we can add Hutchinson with our top pick in April, we still desperately lack a dominant pass rusher or two and need to make sure we address that finally this year…it’s been 20 years of mediocrity and allowing opposing qb’s all day back there. Yesterday’s aberration doesn’t leave me any more convinced that Myers isn’t any more than a serviceable rotational guy

Is Hutching an Edge Rusher? I have seen him mostly play the interior....just a question

20 hours ago, KRL said:

Offense

I really hope that we solved the RG problem with LDT....it would be so nice to not have to worry about that. Because we need OT and C. I am not a Becton hater, but after an injury that has kept him off the field for such a long time, there is no guarantee that he will come back at the level the Jets need. Both Fant and Moses were suffering yesterday.  The Jets need insurance at the OT position.  Good, not super old, offensive linemen are rare in free agency. You either overpay or draft them. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Well to finish my plan I’d use my draft capital to acquire Watson once his legal jargon is settled and it will be and nobody will care in 2 years just like nobody gives a sh*t anymore that Joe Mixon knocked out a woman.

Yeah, good plan bring in a criminal with a history of abusing women.  

Because, you know, no one will care.  They'll also not cafe when women group show up at our games to protest.

Come on, he didnt get accused of a DUI, etc.  It wasnt even one woman, its over 20 that have spoken up.  Theres not a chance of that plan never mind no one is ready to give up on all the rookie QBs at this point.

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, good plan bring in a criminal with a history of abusing women.  

Because, you know, no one will care.  They'll also not cafe when women group show up at our games to protest.

Come on, he didnt get accused of a DUI, etc.  It wasnt even one woman, its over 20 that have spoken up.  Theres not a chance of that plan never mind no one is ready to give up on all the rookie QBs at this point.

Eh if Vick can abuse dogs, admit he was guilty, serve time in person, be suspended by the league and still get a job with a team….anything is possible!

5 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Eh if Vick can abuse dogs, admit he was guilty, serve time in person, be suspended by the league and still get a job with a team….anything is possible!

And you think Vick, being part of a gambling group that abused dogs is the same as abusing women?

And they protested the Eagles when he was signed

3 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Is Hutching an Edge Rusher? I have seen him mostly play the interior....just a question

It’s a good question as he does line up inside a lot, I think that ‘s more an illustration of his versatility than anything and the term ‘edge rusher’ is actually more of a vague premise than a specific position. There are smarter minds than me who understand defensive scheme’s etc but he’d likely play end in our 4-3 (or OLB in the 3-4 we generally ran prior to this year) but much like JFM he can line up both inside and outside.

I actually think Franklin-Myers is more of an inside guy who can play end and Hutchinson appears to be the opposite, an outside guy who can bu disruptive and effective inside. Much will come out in the draft process but I think he’ll generally be tagged as an ‘edge rusher’ but will just be a scheme versatile player who will make plays and cause opposing OC’s to worry about him on every play, and we haven’t really had a player like that since Abraham.

I’m not a huge fan of JFM but a guy like Hutchinson theoretically makes all the other guys around him better, a DL with Hutch, a fit again and hopefully close to his best Lawson with Myers, Williams, Foley & Rankins is an exciting front 4. It would allow JFM to move inside occasionally with Lawson & AH outside but also raises the possibility of Hutchinson & JFM interchanging…could be intruiging….anyway, we are a long way off that actually happening but either way we absolutely have to do something about the pass rush and the DL in general because it’ remains a weak link.

13 hours ago, KRL said:

The front 7 could have some interesting combos next year if Hutchinson
is drafted.  If I'm correct Rankins is signed for 2022 but Fatukasi is
a free agent.  If Douglas let's Fatukasi walk I could see something like:

DLine

Lawson, Williams, Rankins, Franklin-Myers

Hutchinson, Marshall, Shepherd, Huff

LB

Williams, Mosley, Sherwood

Nasirildeen, Draft Pick, Draft Pick

I see LB as one of our early picks next year (round 1-2).  There is no way Saleh is going through another season with this LB crew.